Italy - Sailing yacht sank off Italian coast, 15 rescued, 7 missing, 19 August 2024

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Two more names among those missing are Jonathan Bloomer, Morgan Stanley International chair, and Chris Morvillo, a lawyer at Clifford Chance.
How sad for the families of these men!
So far we know that Mike and Hannah Lynch and these two men are missing. Two others haven't been identified yet. So sad.

Karsten Börner was the captain of the large, Dutch-flagged sailing ship Sir Robert Baden Powell at the time of the incident. His 42-meter vessel was anchored near the Bayesianwhen the storm hit. He described a "very strong" hurricane-like gust, which forced him to fire up his engine to maintain his ship's position, while avoiding the yacht close to them. A local fisherman said it may have been caused by a waterspout, a funnel cloud that develops over water, as opposed to a tornado, which forms over land.

This boat is 14m smaller than the sunken craft.

The size of the boats could have made a difference, I’m not sure whether smaller or bigger would be preferable, but the aluminium mast pole (at one point the tallest in the world) may also have been a factor.

I have only been caught in one water spout and was stood just inland, but that was also in Italy.

How sad for the families of these men!
So far we know that Mike and Hannah Lynch and these two men are missing. Two others haven't been identified yet. So sad.

Jonathan Bloomer’s wife is also listed as missing.

Two more passengers on board the Bayesian who are still missing are the chairman of Morgan Stanley International, Jonathan Bloomer and his wife Judy

Last edited:
A search effort was still underway Monday in the area, with four Coast Guard vessels, a Coast Guard helicopter and a dive team from the national Fire Brigade taking part. The Bayesian appeared to have sunk in an area with a depth of about 160 feet.

According to Italian media, Fire Brigade divers had reached the boat and seen bodies trapped inside some of the cabins.

Link:

So sad, I knew they had to have been stuck in the boat. I was actually shocked when I heard they hadn’t found any other bodies floating or anything. That’s when i realized it. I hope they can recover everyone who was lost in this tragedy.

The size of the boats could have made a difference, I’m not sure whether smaller or bigger would be preferable, but the aluminium mast pole (at one point the tallest in the world) may also have been a factor.

I have only been caught in one water spout and was stood just inland, but that was also in Italy.

Apparently the mast broke, which unbalanced the yacht, and the yacht sank.

Witnesses told Italian news agency Ansa that the Bayesian’s anchor was down when the storm struck, causing the mast to break and the ship to lose its balance and sink off the coast of village Porticello, near Sicilian capital Palermo.

1h ago09:20

Divers facing significant challenges during rescue operation​

Divers searching for six missing people have spoken of the significant challenges they're facing.
As mentioned in our 8.47am post, the Bayesian superyacht is still "practically intact" on the seabed, but the depth makes it difficult to access.
The time window the divers have is incredibly tight, according to one of those leading the effort, Luca Cari.
"They can stay underwater for a maximum of 12 minutes, two of which are needed to go up and down," the emergency responder told Italy daily Giornale di Sicilia.
"So the real time to be able to carry out the search is 10 minutes per dive."
Mr Cari explained how the divers had managed to identify a glass window of the Bayesian from which they could enter, though it will first need to be removed in order to gain access.
The rescue team already searched the command bridge, which "is full of electrical cables", but did not find anyone in the area.
"The spaces inside the sailing ship are very small and if you encounter an obstacle it is very complicated to move forward, just as it is very difficult to find alternative routes," he added.

Superyacht sinks latest: Captain speaks for first time; divers operating in 'very small' spaces; pictures of yacht interior before sinking

1h ago09:40

Missing lawyer's tragic LinkedIn post before Bayesian sinking​

Among those still missing after the Bayesian's sinking is Christopher Morvillo, a lawyer who worked on Mike Lynch's recent trial.
Mr Morvillo is a partner at the US branch of Clifford Chance and, along with his wife Neda, has not been seen since the Bayesian sunk on Monday morning off Palermo.
In his tragic penultimate post on LinkedIn, Mr Morvillo thanked the legal minds that helped Mr Lynch win his fraud trial.
At the end of his post, he said: "And, finally, a huge thank you to my patient and incredible wife, Neda Morvillo, and my two strong, brilliant, and beautiful daughters, Sabrina Morvillo and Sophia Morvillo.
"None of this would have been possible without your love and support. I am so glad to be home. And they all lived happily ever after…."

5m ago11:06

Lawyer's wife among the missing​

AP is reporting that the wife of lawyer Chris Morvillo, Neda, is also missing.
Mr Morvillo, a lawyer at major firm Clifford Chance, had already been confirmed as among the missing six.

Superyacht sinks latest: Captain speaks for first time; divers operating in 'very small' spaces; pictures of yacht interior before sinking

17m ago10:55

Captain of ship that responded to Bayesian sinking relives 'traumatic' incident​

The captain of the ship that saved some of the passengers of the Bayesian has spoken to Sky News about the "traumatic" events of yesterday morning.
Karsten Borner, 69, said he and his crew had been busy trying to save their own ship when the tornado struck.
Shortly after, they noticed the Bayesian had disappeared from view behind them.
"We saw the red flare and went in that direction," said Mr Borner.
"We found a life raft with 15 people inside, with one little baby and four people injured. We brought them to our ship and took care of them until the coast guard came and took over."
Mr Borner said the storm that had hit the area was "very violent" and that the entire situation was "awful and traumatic" for those involved.
"My theory is that the ship went flat and then turned over the stern and sunk," he added.
"According to the people we rescued, it sunk in two minutes."
lcimg-7114b71d-d97f-4ec2-960e-af272a151190.png

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lolofeist
Back