Japan - Miyazawa family of 4 murdered, Setagaya, Tokyo, 30 Dec 2000 #2

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Is that possible that he stopped by someone's house, his friend's or girlfriend's one, somewhere close, on his way back? I am thinking that if a person stops by, washes, changes clothes, it is always possible to tell a story that sounds improbable, but is believed because in early morning of December 31, no one has discovered/made an announcement about the murders yet?
@FacelessPodcast, do you happen to know when the information about the murders became first officially available?
RSBM: reading back that Japan Times January 1st article. Interestingly, it says the door was locked and the windows were not broken. Now, I'd never seen direct confirmation of the door being locked because I was told Haruko couldn't remember if she found the door unlocked, locked, or even ajar. That said, it also says most of the stab wounds focused on the necks of the victims, which is untrue, so it could simply be misreporting in the chaos of that breaking story.

It is not impossible but there was CCTV on the public transport network, even in 2000. Plus, it was New Years Eve. Even if the killer took the first train of the day, on a short journey of only a few stops, it would be incredible to me that not a single Tokyoite saw a young man with a bandage with no jacket (unless of course he had one that he brought with him but given how flawed the execution of his initially plan was, I very much doubt he had the forethought to bring two).
There are 4 train stations within reasonable walking distance from the Miyazawa house, ranging from 20-30 minutes. If he took the first train of the day at any of them it would be as simple as reviewing the CCTV during that time and he’d be there. I’m sure if he was on camera he would be spotted. Even better at that time as the crowds would still be there somewhat, but definitely less congested.

This is kinda my gripe with a lot of “sources” saying how remote and isolated the area is - it just isn’t at all. It’s busy as heck and people are everywhere.

I’ve gotta go with my gut feeling his disappearance was more immediate.

There are 4 train stations within reasonable walking distance from the Miyazawa house, ranging from 20-30 minutes. If he took the first train of the day at any of them it would be as simple as reviewing the CCTV during that time and he’d be there. I’m sure if he was on camera he would be spotted. Even better at that time as the crowds would still be there somewhat, but definitely less congested.
Absolutely. Skateboard or not, how do we explain his invisibility at these stations? Especially if he had a skateboard — a young guy with a skateboard, an injury and no jacket, possibly ‘looking foreign’…
This is kinda my gripe with a lot of “sources” saying how remote and isolated the area is - it just isn’t at all. It’s busy as heck and people are everywhere.
Literally every time someone has said this, I’ve never seen it backed up by anything. I don’t know if that’s because street view makes Soshigaya Park look sparse? But I’ve been through there in the day and night, my first occasion was something like 5am while jet lagged (the brain doesn’t make good choices) and every single time, there was foot traffic. Even at that very early hour of the morning.
I’ve gotta go with my gut feeling his disappearance was more immediate.

Literally every time someone has said this, I’ve never seen it backed up by anything. I don’t know if that’s because street view makes Soshigaya Park look sparse? But I’ve been through there in the day and night, my first occasion was something like 5am while jet lagged (the brain doesn’t make good choices) and every single time, there was foot traffic. Even at that very early hour of the morning.
Since before moving into the area I also believed it. The Google Earth and street views make it seem so, even though it is in a central Tokyo residential neighbourhood. Not to mention the sensationalism that comes with the story and especially reports in English.

But after visiting my first thought was “what the heck” - this place is crammed full of people and the areas around the house are so lively and loud! The house looks out of place because it’s in such a busy area, not the opposite. Which makes sense because of the expansions going on.

Not everyone has the opportunity to see it in person but if they did they’d change their mind on the isolation angle.

Friends, big news to report:

Translation:

From the personal blog of Susumi Hieshima, Japan Innovation Party

On the 27th March, the Setagaya Ward Council voted to approve the statement of opinion titled “Demand for initiatives aiming for the timely resolution of the Kami-Soshigaya San-chōme Robbery Murder Case”. Liberal Democrat, Komeito and Japan Innovation Party members including myself voted in favour, Constitutional Democratic Party, Communist and Seikatsusha Network of Tokyo councilors voted against.
yi74XWTBvyhk71AlAdlid4UhOvbkhoUnzIjTeLdy7MJpMOx7tYAYzKmdu6SDjMPDdr35IufNE1tkr5G8iY-ou7KfN4oNXDccPwAVDz7R7ppEjNs-NJjqQ5OjSdX1sTnw9W5jLkCDLRZZcDnaE6fn80o=s320
Vote results

Twenty-three years have passed since the so-called "Setagaya Family Murder," but the case remains unsolved due to a lack of decisive clues. It is heartbreaking to think of the bereaved families. One of the reasons for the delay in apprehending the murderer is that DNA analysis has not been effectively utilized despite the large number of items left behind. The opinion letter urges the government to "expand the database on limited DNA genetic information" whilst considering privacy protections. The Constitutional Democratic Party questioned the opinion letter, and the Liberal Democratic Party gave explanations on behalf of the submitters.

The bereaved families of the victims were also present at the meeting, and Takeshi Tsuchita, who serves as a special advisor to the "Sora-no-kai," an association of bereaved families of murder victims, told the media, "I hope this will be the first step in discussions toward the legalisation of DNA investigation. We are very pleased that the Setagaya Ward Council has expressed its strong desire to solve the case, and we sincerely hope for progress in the investigation.”

That's my feeling too. He grabbed the first sweater he saw that fit him because it didn't really matter what he wore.
The sweater is interesting. Shirts with large lettering or designs like that seem much more attention-grabbing than a solid or non-writing pattern.

Plus -- IT'S IN ENGLISH! Would this have been common as an item of clothing in Japan?

If our guy did wear it, I wonder if he perhaps turned it inside out in order to make it less memorable.

Or, maybe he didn't actually wear it but draped it over his injured hand/arm as a way to hide the makeshift bandages?

MOO

The sweater is interesting. Shirts with large lettering or designs like that seem much more attention-grabbing than a solid or non-writing pattern.

Plus -- IT'S IN ENGLISH! Would this have been common as an item of clothing in Japan?
I think it's honestly pretty normal for clothes to carry English slogans or sayings, no matter how nonsensical. That's true here in Spain, every time I've been to Japan, Vietnam, etc. I think in a lot of places, there's just an assumption that English 'sounds cool'. My first day in Japan, I saw a guy in a purple t-shirt that read: I ASK ONLY THAT YOU TREAT ME LIKE THE QUEEN. [Not A queen, THE queen].
If our guy did wear it, I wonder if he perhaps turned it inside out in order to make it less memorable.

Or, maybe he didn't actually wear it but draped it over his injured hand/arm as a way to hide the makeshift bandages?

MOO
Yes, quite possible. Though he would've had to take out his rail pass / ticket / coins one-handed. Assuming he didn't already have a ticket or a pass, he would've dealt with a machine. Difficult to do one-handed. Given how brazen he was throughout the entire murders, my feeling is he had already thrown caution to the wind. I'm wearing a new shirt that has no blood on it, I'll take my chances. If he drove away in the car, that jives completely. If he got the train and chanced passing through millions of Tokyoites, not so much.

Just now started a thread for this also strange, cold case with a detail that really caught my eye, link also posted on thread..
Ws thread..
Link.. rbbm
''The murder is believed to have taken place at around 3.55 p.m. Around this time, a man in an ocher-colored raincoat was seen standing outside Kobayashi’s home in the rain without an umbrella, staring up at the second floor.
In addition, type A blood was found in DNA at the crime scene, which police believe came from a hand or arm injury sustained by the murderer.''

I'm not sure which show it was on, maybe James May's "Our Man In Japan." But there was a smartly-dressed Japanese woman, seemingly a businesswoman, riding on public transport wearing a nice white shirt... with English swear words all over it. Either she didn't know or didn't care.

Assuming for the sake of argument that the killer drove a car, I wonder how easy it would have been to drive with a severe hand injury.

Just now started a thread for this also strange, cold case with a detail that really caught my eye, link also posted on thread..
Ws thread..
Link.. rbbm
''The murder is believed to have taken place at around 3.55 p.m. Around this time, a man in an ocher-colored raincoat was seen standing outside Kobayashi’s home in the rain without an umbrella, staring up at the second floor.
In addition, type A blood was found in DNA at the crime scene, which police believe came from a hand or arm injury sustained by the murderer.''
Fantastic, good work @dotr. I think there's a good Rhetorica video on this case too. Really bizarre but also compelling. I recall the sketches of the suspect are haunting.

Incidentally, Junko's dad is high up in Sora No Kai, I think possibly Chairman, even.

I'm not sure which show it was on, maybe James May's "Our Man In Japan." But there was a smartly-dressed Japanese woman, seemingly a businesswoman, riding on public transport wearing a nice white shirt... with English swear words all over it. Either she didn't know or didn't care.
Yes, totally. Also, my childish brain has found it amusing when songs are played in shops or on the radio which are normally bleeped out but play unfettered in Japan.
Assuming for the sake of argument that the killer drove a car, I wonder how easy it would have been to drive with a severe hand injury.
Driving with one-hand is pretty easy if it's an automatic?

It's possible, yes. Though whoever's house he went to, hasn't either not suspected him in 24 years or has kept their silence for that long. If the latter, that would suggest a permanent relationship to me, such parents. RE: the reporting, I can't say for sure in terms of TV but speaking about newspapers, the first English-language piece is January 1st in The Japan Times. So, it's fair to conclude this news broke the very first morning of the 31st. In that reporting, it explicitly says, police on Sunday said... So, that's the day after. There was a press conference. It's a slow news period at the best of times according to the journalists in Tokyo I spoke with, so something like this, you can imagine. HOWEVER, all that said, there are places where people may not have been keeping up with the news. Rural areas, for instance. A US military base. How many were avid readers of The Japan Times? How much directly linkable information was carried in those early articles which would not only impel such a person to 'rat on' their son or friend or boyfriend etc but that would have been enough for them to make the realisation in the first place?

Yes, all possible. Or it's simply your son. So your choice is, give him up and he will potentially be executed by the State, or keep silent.

Japan definitely has a witness protection programme. I am not aware of this relating to the Miyazawa case, however. I agree that there is almost certainly at least one person who knows, at a minimum, that the killer showed up with a fairly bad injury directly after the murders. My feeling is, however, that such a person doesn't necessarily still have to be in Japan.
If that is the father, he is probably afraid to ask. Humans behave the same way when it comes to children. However, the implications for a religious person are different. So I think he is either in denial, or doesn’t want to know.

If that is the father, he is probably afraid to ask. Humans behave the same way when it comes to children. However, the implications for a religious person are different. So I think he is either in denial, or doesn’t want to know.
In the case of my POI, his father is both a devout man and one with a medical background. I imagine it would have been difficult for him to see the wound and not conclude it came from a blade. Now, how much he knew, or even if he was aware of the murders themselves, I have no idea. I am not convinced the news reached American military bases in a widespread way unless they were watching local news or reading The Japan Times.

At any rate, I have no idea. Denial is very possible--who would want to even think their child is capable of slaughter, much less accept the reality that they are guilty of it? But in this particular case, I think not knowing would be difficult. My feeling is that the father does know. Then again, religious people lie and contradict themselves / their beliefs all the time. Belief isn't a bulletproof vest against our own human nature. Ultimately, I have no idea, your guess is as good as mine. I'm only talking about the POI. More generally, if this guy is totally innocent, it would shock me if the killer has gone 24 years without uttering a single word of it, or without anybody seeing his scars / past, and not doubting them.

Unless the killer was a complete loner, who disappeared into the mountains immediately after the murders and never interacted with another human being from that day to this, I find it *impossible* to believe nobody knows or suspects what he did. Somebody would notice the injury to his hand, or wonder where his nice clothes disappeared to. I'm not sure how Christmas is celebrated in Japan, but it's possible some of those clothes were newly-gifted and their absence would be noted.

Even if nobody said anything out loud, somebody must have been asking themself, "OMG, is *insert name* the Faceless Man...?!?"

Re: the sweater, the English lettering wouldn’t be out of place in Japan back in the early 2000’s because as many have said it was common to slap English slogans or words on things back then. But it will still certainly be memorable enough for someone on a train or in a station, and quite easy to spot on a camera I’m sure.
It’s not so common now and would be a bit odd to see on a sweater.

Conversely when people in the west tattoo themselves with Chinese and Japanese characters because they think it’s “cool” we are laughed at and thought of as weird just as much by people in Japan!

In the case of my POI, his father is both a devout man and one with a medical background. I imagine it would have been difficult for him to see the wound and not conclude it came from a blade. Now, how much he knew, or even if he was aware of the murders themselves, I have no idea. I am not convinced the news reached American military bases in a widespread way unless they were watching local news or reading The Japan Times.

At any rate, I have no idea. Denial is very possible--who would want to even think their child is capable of slaughter, much less accept the reality that they are guilty of it? But in this particular case, I think not knowing would be difficult. My feeling is that the father does know. Then again, religious people lie and contradict themselves / their beliefs all the time. Belief isn't a bulletproof vest against our own human nature. Ultimately, I have no idea, your guess is as good as mine. I'm only talking about the POI. More generally, if this guy is totally innocent, it would shock me if the killer has gone 24 years without uttering a single word of it, or without anybody seeing his scars / past, and not doubting them.
Assuming the religion is Protestant Christianity and specifically a more... strict evangelical branch of it based on what you've said, I'm guessing that the father might also be able to convince himself that if his son made it right with God, then that's what counts most, so he doesn't need to subject him to earthly authority.

(Must've overlooked all the bible verses about justice though and about what Jesus thinks of those who allow children to be harmed though.)

Do you know if your POI is himself religious at all today?

I'm not sure I follow. He's facing the death penalty. If he confesses to stealing the money, he's embracing the noose. Seeing as he patched himself up and did not turn himself in, I agree he definitely wouldn't want to return that money. What reasons were you thinking it would be better for this case to be labelled a multiple homicide over robbery/homicide? To impress a supposed mentor? At any rate, if this was his goal, he failed because that's precisely what the TMPD have it listed as in their case files.

To address the concern, the killer must first be apprehended. When committing the crime, the killer operated under uncertainty regarding the likelihood of being caught. Personally, I believe there was a considerable level of confidence on his part, as evident from his actions. It seems he was convinced he could evade capture. Reflecting on this, I've pondered why he didn't take all the money. The only explanation I can conceive of is his awareness that the murder would attract media attention, and he didn't want it to appear as a straightforward robbery. Hence, he opted to take only a portion of the money, unable to resist the temptation, while deliberately leaving behind more than half to obscure any indication of theft.

But why would someone be concerned about the crime appearing a certain way and avoid it being classified as a robbery? One possibility is that the perpetrator acted on behalf of someone else, perhaps as a test of cruelty or out of strong emotional attachment. If it was the former, it supports the notion that someone picked him up in a car. Even if it was an act of revenge, this explanation holds weight. JMO.

I think the sweater says DIVE, not LOVE. The letters are fish-based / nautical.
Yes, indeed, it's DIVE. The fish-themed sweater may have been selected precisely for that reason - perhaps the killer had close ties to fishermen or worked at a fish restaurant, or something along those lines.
Possible there is no evidence of another individual in what we know. Of course, if that accomplice never entered the house, that would make sense.
As a consideration regarding the possibility of a second accomplice, I speculate that indeed, the second participant may have been waiting outside in a car elsewhere in the district. It's probable that this participant could have been an older man unable to participate in the murder due to health reasons, or perhaps acting as a mentor figure. However, these are merely hypothetical scenarios aimed at filling in the missing pieces of the puzzle.
We don't know if he had any idea who was in the house, nor is there anything that proves he knew the layout of the interior. But for sure, he would have to be really stupid to have been surprised that there was a family late at night present in their own family home. This only strengthens my belief that his purpose was murder, not theft.
It has been reported that someone observed an elderly man loitering near the house, seemingly watching. However, this may simply be another 'mutation' generated by blogs recycling information on the case. If indeed there was a genuine sighting of an unfamiliar man, it could support the theory that the killer may have been picked up by someone in a car. Observing the house could have provided the killer with information about the residents' habits, such as when they are typically at home, and helped him determine the best point of entry. He was aware that he could remain undisturbed in the house for a period of time. This further reinforces the theory that the murder was not only intentional but also premeditated. JMO.

Last edited:
Assuming the religion is Protestant Christianity and specifically a more... strict evangelical branch of it based on what you've said, I'm guessing that the father might also be able to convince himself that if his son made it right with God, then that's what counts most, so he doesn't need to subject him to earthly authority.
Yes, for sure. This is total guesswork but I would imagine that, given the father's medical knowledge, it would have been clear to him that the son had been involved in *something*. But maybe details weren't needed. Totally possible the POI broke down and confessed everything, of course. I can just also imagine a scenario where the father didn't need to know the whole picture to understand that once the boy was patched up, he would need to be on a plane out of there.
(Must've overlooked all the bible verses about justice though and about what Jesus thinks of those who allow children to be harmed though.)

Do you know if your POI is himself religious at all today?
I think he's a believer, yes. Or at least attends church with his family. How devout he actually is, I have no idea. Bundy was in the Samaritans etc. I would imagine, though, given how involved his parents were, that it still and will always play a part in his life. As for what kind, I can link him to a few churches with oblique names that seem to be very pastor-focused, their dominations not immediately obvious. I cant' really say much more sadly!

Yes, for sure. This is total guesswork but I would imagine that, given the father's medical knowledge, it would have been clear to him that the son had been involved in *something*. But maybe details weren't needed. Totally possible the POI broke down and confessed everything, of course. I can just also imagine a scenario where the father didn't need to know the whole picture to understand that once the boy was patched up, he would need to be on a plane out of there.

I think he's a believer, yes. Or at least attends churc¹h with his family. How devout he actually is, I have no idea. Bundy was in the Samaritans etc. I would imagine, though, given how involved his parents were, that it still and will always play a part in his life. As for what kind, I can link him to a few churches with oblique names that seem to be very pastor-focused, their dominations not immediately obvious. I cant' really say much more sadly!

I doubt that he broke up and told the truth. (If, indeed, it was your poi who did it.) If there was a conversation, it probably was along such lines as "I was protecting myself, four people attacked me."

But between a parent and an adolescent kid, it might have been simpler. His good-looking, ruffy teenager comes home, wearing someone else's clothes, with a deep cut on his arm. What would the father say? "Just look at yourself, it is disgusting, you are coming home way past the curfew, you are spending nights got knows where and with whom, and now you got in a fight, too..." Until the father hears about the murders, and it will probably happen much later, he won't explain the son's cut and looks by "OMG, he just murdered four people". It is Japan, the safest country, after all. And maybe he still is in "I don't want to know" mode and just keeps praying for his son. You are right, the father probably decided to send the boy home as soon as he heard about the murders, but self-preservation would dictate never asking questions.

(And if you remember, the police may have arrived at the conclusion that the perp was not from Japan, and contacted Korea. However, the locals had own ideas, e.g., tying it up to a suicide of a local kid, etc. If the father was following those forums, it was easy to persuade himself that the family was murdered by someone else. The police brochure about the case was published as a .pdf file much later, and before, the sand was not specifically discussed).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MISSINGPERSONSMYSTERIES