Jason Young to get new trial

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I agree with you. The evidence just isn't there to erase all the doubt I have. I think his parental rights are still intact. If not, they could be restored if he is found not guilty. His freedom probably means a lot to him as well. I know it would to me.

Agreed. Even if I was forced to vote 100% guilty or innocent, I couldn't do it in this case.
3 years for an arrest, a mistrial where 8 jurors saw reasonable doubt. a very unreliable eye witness, no motive, no financial problems and the list goes on.

Agreed. Even if I was forced to vote 100% guilty or innocent, I couldn't do it in this case.
3 years for an arrest, a mistrial where 8 jurors saw reasonable doubt. a very unreliable eye witness, no motive, no financial problems and the list goes on.

No motive>?

oh boy,,,

The civil suit had to be filed within the 2 years of statutes of limitation.

Jason Young and his attorneys chose not to respond and the Fishers won by default.

It may of had to be filed, but the judge could've ordered it to be held off, which is usually the case.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

No motive>?

oh boy,,,

All speculations of motive are just that, speculations with no basis in reality.

He didn't want to be married. He cheated and fought with his wife.
Yes he cheated, and what couple doesn't fight? There's no evidence that he had any intention of leaving her.

He didn't like his mother in law.
Who doesn't?

Financial problems.
Not really.

Didn't want to pay child support.
That's no cause for murder. His marriage was on the frits, but I don't think anyone was talking about divorce.

Life insurance.
He's a fairly intelligent guy. Anyone with any bit of common sense knows if your significant other is murdered, you're suspect number one and you wouldn't see that life insurance for years.

He was a rage machine.
In order for him to carefully plan this murder as the prosecution described, it would be cold and calculated. It looks like someone went off the handle on Michelle, not the actions of a well planned and calculated down to the minute scheme.

He didn't want to be married with kids in the first place.
No evidence of that. Even if he did tell him future wife to get an abortion at one point, it's a topic that comes up sometimes.

What other motives could he have possibly had?

No motive>?

oh boy,,,

The prosecution doesn't even have to present a motive, but one would help.
1) Increasing the amount of a life insurance policy would only bring more suspicion to the beneficiary.(Jason Young)
2) While arguing and cheating are far from good qualities in a marriage, it also doesn't make the colossal jump to murder.
3) Financial problems? As I previously stated, the state came up empty on that one too.
4) Michelle Money? She was married, therefore the plan would have to include killing her husband too.
5) Child support? It would cost Jason the same amount of money, if not more,if he had joint custody of this daughter and unborn child and they shared parental decisons and costs of living.

I was watching the appeal last night (53 minutes, The Tawni Dilly has it on her YT channel) it is from December.

Something to the effect that this is the first time - ever- a civil action has occurred prior to the criminal element.

I think Judge Stephens is probably one of the best judges in this country. Obvi, he looked at the facts of the case- in particular, the MO of JY - his careless disregard for the police - his careless disregard for having any interest in learning about what happened to his wife. As a judge, my man Stephens has to make a decision based upon THE UNIQUE CONSTRAINTS of each case. I think he made the right call -

1. Who does not want to know what happened to their spouse>?
2. Who tells the police to F off - indefinitely... as an innocent man?

Based upon points one and two, there is a reasonable basis to conclude something is wrong with JY - he is not exhibiting behavior consistent with an innocent man, the innocent man he claims to be... I'm sorry, but the rights you receive as a citizen should not be abused. If you claim innocence, why act guilty?
This guy doesn't even deserve a trial - he deserves to be electrocuted- twice - for Michelle and her child.

Outside of this rogue school of thought, I am concerned about the impact this will have on Judge Stephens...

If you haven't already - please check out Jen Powers testimony in the re-trial - she reads the four page e-mail Michelle sent along from her - a four page e-mail composed by JY to his wife. It is telling.

Here is the link:

http://www.wral.com/specialreports/michelleyoung/video/10715309/
Love ya,

G

BBM

Someone who already knows. I find it weird that when told of his wife's death he never once asked how she died? And to go ahead and answer to all the reply's I'm going to get. No he never did....not once. Not to Gerald, his stepfather, not to mommy and not to Meredith. And not to police because he never talked to LEO.

The prosecution doesn't even have to present a motive, but one would help.
1) Increasing the amount of a life insurance policy would only bring more suspicion to the beneficiary.(Jason Young)
2) While arguing and cheating are far from good qualities in a marriage, it also doesn't make the colossal jump to murder.
3) Financial problems? As I previously stated, the state came up empty on that one too.
4) Michelle Money? She was married, therefore the plan would have to include killing her husband too.
5) Child support? It would cost Jason the same amount of money, if not more,if he had joint custody of this daughter and unborn child and they shared parental decisons and costs of living.

1. Yes, but not in JY mind.
2. True everyone that cheats doesn't kill, but JY was no longer in love with MY. Just look at their communication. All through email. While he wasn't going to turn down sex from MY, I'm sure he wasn't too thrilled when she was pregnant again. He was in love with MM.
3. Yes they did have financial problems. Look at all the lines of credit Jy had open. Although MY was the bread winner, he was basically living off credit. My was the planner, she paid all the bills. With the upcoming birth of Rylan, she was going to cut back her hours at work. Plus JY had how many jobs in the years MY only had one.
4. Killing her husband? Really? MM would have just left her husband. She wouldn't have any financial resonsibilty like JY. Hell, in one email, MM thought her unborn child she was carrying was Jason's. Her husband would of had to take care of child support. Being in love with someone else and divorcing and paying child support on 2 kids is motive. Again, look at all the emails between MM and JY and JY and MY.
5.I don't understand your comment on this? Paying child support on 2 kids to your ex-wife would have been alot of money. One easy way to eliminate this is eliminate wife and unborn baby. Then he thought he would collect on the life insurance and be in his merry way. He didn't care about MY and in his line of thinking no one else would either. I'm sure he thought after a few months in investigation would be over.

NC Appeals Court orders third murder trial for Jason Young

Raleigh, N.C. — The North Carolina Court of Appeals on Tuesday ordered a third trial for a man convicted of murdering his pregnant wife in their Wake County home seven years ago, saying a judge should not have allowed evidence about a wrongful death lawsuit.

Jason Lynn Young, 39, is serving life in prison for first-degree murder in the Nov. 3, 2006, beating death of Michelle Young, who was five months' pregnant when her sister found her body in a pool of blood in the Youngs' bedroom

http://www.wral.com/nc-appeals-court-orders-new-murder-trial-for-jason-young/13528780/

:seeya: I just saw this thread ... I'm way behind on news here at WS ... and Thank You for this update !

Although I did not follow this trial as closely as many of you have here, I remember when he was found guilty ...

And hopefully, he will be found guilty the AGAIN ... because IMO, he IS guilty !

Now ... off to catch up on the details and check back with y'all later.

:moo:

ETA: Oops ... edited to correct mistake

:seeya: I just saw this thread ... I'm way behind on news here at WS ... and Thank You for this update !

Although I did not follow this trial as closely as many of you have here, I remember when he was found guilty the second time ...

And hopefully, he will be found guilty the THIRD time ... because IMO, he IS guilty !

Now ... off to catch up on the details and check back with y'all later.

:moo:

Second time. First trial the jury was deadlocked. 8 in favor of acquittal

Sent from your mom's smartphone

Second time. First trial the jury was deadlocked. 8 in favor of acquittal

:seeya: Sorry for the confusion, but I did not follow the 1st trial, but remember the 2nd trial when he was found guilty.

So I corrected my original post.

:seeya: I will have to go back and "brush up" on the details !

1. Yes, but not in JY mind.
2. True everyone that cheats doesn't kill, but JY was no longer in love with MY. Just look at their communication. All through email. While he wasn't going to turn down sex from MY, I'm sure he wasn't too thrilled when she was pregnant again. He was in love with MM.
3. Yes they did have financial problems. Look at all the lines of credit Jy had open. Although MY was the bread winner, he was basically living off credit. My was the planner, she paid all the bills. With the upcoming birth of Rylan, she was going to cut back her hours at work. Plus JY had how many jobs in the years MY only had one.
4. Killing her husband? Really? MM would have just left her husband. She wouldn't have any financial resonsibilty like JY. Hell, in one email, MM thought her unborn child she was carrying was Jason's. Her husband would of had to take care of child support. Being in love with someone else and divorcing and paying child support on 2 kids is motive. Again, look at all the emails between MM and JY and JY and MY.
5.I don't understand your comment on this? Paying child support on 2 kids to your ex-wife would have been alot of money. One easy way to eliminate this is eliminate wife and unborn baby. Then he thought he would collect on the life insurance and be in his merry way. He didn't care about MY and in his line of thinking no one else would either. I'm sure he thought after a few months in investigation would be over.

1) The life insurance policy was for $2 million basic coverage and $2 million for an accidental death. The state tried to argue motive but there was no way this amount of money was going to be paid to Young, so this isn't even important.Also, Jason had the exact same amount of coverage, it wasn't like Michelle's policy was higher.
2) Young had been cheating throughout the marriage, nothing new.
3) Records released in court showed that they were not having any financial problems, also there was testimony that Michelle was only cutting back on a few hours and /or would work from home.
4)Killing Michelle to be with another woman doesn't seem probable.Both testified they were not in love and not in it for the long run.
5)My comment on #5 was not clear, my fault. Paying child support for Cassidy or raising Cassidy on his own was going to cost a lot of money over the years either way even
If they had joint custody, Jason would be paying for her care when and when he didn't have her, I don't believe alimony was ever involved in this case, and as for the new baby, we will sadly never know. :(

All speculations of motive are just that, speculations with no basis in reality.

Yes he cheated, and what couple doesn't fight? There's no evidence that he had any intention of leaving her.

Who doesn't?

Financial problems.
Not really.

That's no cause for murder. His marriage was on the frits, but I don't think anyone was talking about divorce.

Life insurance.
He's a fairly intelligent guy. Anyone with any bit of common sense knows if your significant other is murdered, you're suspect number one and you wouldn't see that life insurance for years.

He was a rage machine.
In order for him to carefully plan this murder as the prosecution described, it would be cold and calculated. It looks like someone went off the handle on Michelle, not the actions of a well planned and calculated down to the minute scheme.

No evidence of that. Even if he did tell him future wife to get an abortion at one point, it's a topic that comes up sometimes.

This is where I get stuck too, lack of motive.

Who doesn't?

Financial problems.
Not really.

Life insurance.

He was a rage machine.

This is where I get stuck too, lack of motive.

*BBM*
Regarding the 2 I bolded, you have to remember just because it is not "smart" does not mean it is not done, and often.

I am sure you can google a ton of cases where a spouse kills in order to either avoid paying support OR to collect life insurance money (Marissa Devault is one happening right now, she wanted insurance money).
Just because they do it in an inane way does not mean it is not possible.

ETA- Motive should not really matter, it helps a case but it is not the final determination of guilt.
Sometimes people just DO things without thinking them through!

Also, I am watching the trials from day one. Just starting though so I am only into pretrial and opening statements from the first trial.
I already have a couple questions, I want to watch some testimony before I ask them though (as they might be answered during).

1) The life insurance policy was for $2 million basic coverage and $2 million for an accidental death. The state tried to argue motive but there was no way this amount of money was going to be paid to Young, so this isn't even important.Also, Jason had the exact same amount of coverage, it wasn't like Michelle's policy was higher.
2) Young had been cheating throughout the marriage, nothing new.
3) Records released in court showed that they were not having any financial problems, also there was testimony that Michelle was only cutting back on a few hours and /or would work from home.
4)Killing Michelle to be with another woman doesn't seem probable.Both testified they were not in love and not in it for the long run.
5)My comment on #5 was not clear, my fault. Paying child support for Cassidy or raising Cassidy on his own was going to cost a lot of money over the years either way even
If they had joint custody, Jason would be paying for her care when and when he didn't have her, I don't believe alimony was ever involved in this case, and as for the new baby, we will sadly never know. :(

So your post, imo, lays out a great motive for JY. Taking care of CY would help with a 4 million dollar pay out. of course he never filed because he was a suspect. He thought all of it would go away. Yes, he was in love with MM. Again, for the 3rd time, I ask have you read the emails? They were both ready to leave their spouses. Anyone who spends their anniversay weekend with their mistress obviously has strong feelings for that person. Plus I don't believe a word that came out of JY mouth at the first trial. And MM was drooling over JY at trial. And #5 still doesn't make sense. He would have had to pay for 2 children plus alimony. MY didn't want a divorce as she grew up in a broken home and was trying to save her marriage no matter how much of a dick JY was to her. JY was off playing hide the sausage with her BFF and peeing on the carpets. He wanted out and wanted the cheapest way out. Plus, a post a while back said, he didn't marry her just because she was pregnant? Wrong, IIRC, Pat Young testifed she told JY that was the right thing to do even though he was against it. We can sit here an argue until we turned blue but making excuses for a wife and baby killer isn't going to change my mind.

So your post, imo, lays out a great motive for JY. Taking care of CY would help with a 4 million dollar pay out. of course he never filed because he was a suspect. He thought all of it would go away. Yes, he was in love with MM. Again, for the 3rd time, I ask have you read the emails? They were both ready to leave their spouses. Anyone who spends their anniversay weekend with their mistress obviously has strong feelings for that person. Plus I don't believe a word that came out of JY mouth at the first trial. And MM was drooling over JY at trial. And #5 still doesn't make sense. He would have had to pay for 2 children plus alimony. MY didn't want a divorce as she grew up in a broken home and was trying to save her marriage no matter how much of a dick JY was to her. JY was off playing hide the sausage with her BFF and peeing on the carpets. He wanted out and wanted the cheapest way out. Plus, a post a while back said, he didn't marry her just because she was pregnant? Wrong, IIRC, Pat Young testifed she told JY that was the right thing to do even though he was against it. We can sit here an argue until we turned blue but making excuses for a wife and baby killer isn't going to change my mind.

This case is going on 8 years old now, and the conviction has been overturned , so we are back at the beginning all over again. I would need more to convict a man than cheating and an insurance policy that would never be paid out. I also don't remember Michelle Money drooling at the trial, she seemed to distance herself from him and was ashamed of the fact she was involved with him . We will just have to wait and see what happens, right now the vote was an unanimous decision to grant Jason Young his appeal and a new trial, exactly the same as Brad Cooper.

BBM

Someone who already knows. I find it weird that when told of his wife's death he never once asked how she died? And to go ahead and answer to all the reply's I'm going to get. No he never did....not once. Not to Gerald, his stepfather, not to mommy and not to Meredith. And not to police because he never talked to LEO.

There are articles at WRAL that say Jason did speak briefly to LE.
if you need one, I will link it for you.
Then, there was a male doll that Cassidy could have chosen from, and then there was a post that there was another suspect that LE looked at it and then cleared. I have searched for that everywhere, in the archives at both Raleigh and Charlotte newspapers.
I also don't remember Pat Young telling Jason he should marry Michelle even though he didn't want to. Do you have a link? Because all I could find is that they got married twice and I even read about Jason's proposal.
I have also not read or heard any testimony that Jason wasn't a good father or wouldn't be in the future to his son.
I am not arguing that they were blissfully happy or anything like that, clearly they weren't, but I am not seeing one single reason why he would want her dead or why he would throw his entire life away by murdering her.

I wouldn't go by media reports for facts in cases; the media sometimes gets the details wrong. When possible and available, trial testimony is the thing to use; that's the source all the lawyers involved and the courts use. In this case the entire trial is online at WRAL.

Honestly, none of this stuff about the affairs or life insurance make a bit of difference. We could talk all day about motive, cheating and insurance but it's the evidence that matters. Did the State prove their case? The answer is no.

The evidence points away from Jason's involvement and simply can't be dismissed. The gas mileage worked perfectly for the timeline that has him spending the night in Hillsville and continuing on with his business appointments. They just don't add up when you have him driving another round trip to Raleigh and back. How can that be ignored?

No scratches on his body

No blood or DNA in his vehicle

Common sense - one doesn't premeditate a brutal beating murder. That was a rage killing. If he had planned it in advance, there are clearly much cleaner ways to achieve this.

Common sense 2 - What an enormous risk to his alibi to be dependent on two propped open doors remaining open all night, risk of his neighbors seeing him, risk of a flat tire, risk of breaking down, risk of a speeding ticket. Any of of those things and it's game over - guilty of murder. It's a ridiculous theory.

Witnesses - We can't ignore the fact that three people saw a light colored SUV at the foot of the driveway between 3:30 and 6:15. It was there early that morning. Again, the timing doesn't work here with the State's theory. If he's in the house (with all lights on, how stupid) and he carelessly decides to park at the foot of the driveway so everyone can see his vehicle, he's not making it two hours away by 5:27AM to cuss at Gracie. Best case, he's out of there at 4, he's not going to make it in 90 minutes, 117 miles. No, it's more likely that someone else - the real killer had that SUV parked there with all house lights on -someone stupid and on drugs most likely. Two people are even seen in the SUV at 5:20 - male and female. The description of the female matches that of Meredith. It is a fact that can't be dismissed.

Common sense 3 - Why does he plan a trip to Brevard when he knows his 2 year old is alone in a house with a dead body? What if Meredith is out of town and can't stop by to get that print-out? He's just going to leave her there alone overnight? Why work the Brevard stop into the plan at all? Drive home just to be safe. So he "finds" the body - okay, so what? That doesn't make him guilty. Meredith found the body and no one wants to consider that she could have had involvement.

Gracie's story - as a juror I would have had to ignore it as she didn't even know what he looked like. I can only conclude that this was manufactured evidence.

What else? Meredith - keys on the hood of Michelle's Lexus, no explanation. She's out partying or doing who knows what from 9PM until 3:37 when she's seen on the Sheetz video. After that, again, whereabouts unknown, unverified. Three different stories about how she found C. Lied about the dog being in the house, 911 call - she doesn't even demand that they get there as soon as possible, no urgency. She's more concerned with shielding the child from the gruesome scene than checking for a pulse on the victim. She had no blood on her clothing or shoes. How is that even possible if she's squatting next to the body in an attempt to find a pulse? Isn't it logical that she is the only one who really could have cleaned and kept C. clean during that time? No diaper, child couldn't dress herself, 10 hours alone? Impossible. What is the explanation? Simple - Meredith cared for her, fed her, and made sure she was clean. This makes more sense than someone cleaned her 10 hours ago and she's in the scene, doll next to her mom, hanging out in the murder bed but not a spec of blood.

How about how she "attempted" the key to the front door and then "attempted" to get in through that side garage door with all of that stuff blocking it! Surely she knew it was blocked from entering, surely she knew the garage door was busted? Why the story about the attempts to enter those ways? She didn't want to be considered a suspect as someone who knew the garage door was busted.

Clueless jurors from trial 2 - "Where are the shoes? Where is the shirt?" Police didn't take photos or even an inventory list of items from the Explorer. It is wrong to hold anyone accountable for items when there is no accountability! Show me the inventory log and photo of the items and then you can say "Where are these items?!" Otherwise, no way. Police didn't even get a search warrant for the items until 27 months after the murder. I suppose at that point they "lost" a few things. So easy to do when you want to win a conviction and have no evidence. Why no evidence? Maybe because you focused on the wrong person.

Honestly, none of this stuff about the affairs or life insurance make a bit of difference. We could talk all day about motive, cheating and insurance but it's the evidence that matters. Did the State prove their case? The answer is no.

The evidence points away from Jason's involvement and simply can't be dismissed. The gas mileage worked perfectly for the timeline that has him spending the night in Hillsville and continuing on with his business appointments. They just don't add up when you have him driving another round trip to Raleigh and back. How can that be ignored?

No scratches on his body

No blood or DNA in his vehicle

Common sense - one doesn't premeditate a brutal beating murder. That was a rage killing. If he had planned it in advance, there are clearly much cleaner ways to achieve this.

Common sense 2 - What an enormous risk to his alibi to be dependent on two propped open doors remaining open all night, risk of his neighbors seeing him, risk of a flat tire, risk of breaking down, risk of a speeding ticket. Any of of those things and it's game over - guilty of murder. It's a ridiculous theory.

Witnesses - We can't ignore the fact that three people saw a light colored SUV at the foot of the driveway between 3:30 and 6:15. It was there early that morning. Again, the timing doesn't work here with the State's theory. If he's in the house (with all lights on, how stupid) and he carelessly decides to park at the foot of the driveway so everyone can see his vehicle, he's not making it two hours away by 5:27AM to cuss at Gracie. Best case, he's out of there at 4, he's not going to make it in 90 minutes, 117 miles. No, it's more likely that someone else - the real killer had that SUV parked there with all house lights on -someone stupid and on drugs most likely. Two people are even seen in the SUV at 5:20 - male and female. The description of the female matches that of Meredith. It is a fact that can't be dismissed.

Common sense 3 - Why does he plan a trip to Brevard when he knows his 2 year old is alone in a house with a dead body? What if Meredith is out of town and can't stop by to get that print-out? He's just going to leave her there alone overnight? Why work the Brevard stop into the plan at all? Drive home just to be safe. So he "finds" the body - okay, so what? That doesn't make him guilty. Meredith found the body and no one wants to consider that she could have had involvement.

Gracie's story - as a juror I would have had to ignore it as she didn't even know what he looked like. I can only conclude that this was manufactured evidence.

What else? Meredith - keys on the hood of Michelle's Lexus, no explanation. She's out partying or doing who knows what from 9PM until 3:37 when she's seen on the Sheetz video. After that, again, whereabouts unknown, unverified. Three different stories about how she found C. Lied about the dog being in the house, 911 call - she doesn't even demand that they get there as soon as possible, no urgency. She's more concerned with shielding the child from the gruesome scene than checking for a pulse on the victim. She had no blood on her clothing or shoes. How is that even possible if she's squatting next to the body in an attempt to find a pulse? Isn't it logical that she is the only one who really could have cleaned and kept C. clean during that time? No diaper, child couldn't dress herself, 10 hours alone? Impossible. What is the explanation? Simple - Meredith cared for her, fed her, and made sure she was clean. This makes more sense than someone cleaned her 10 hours ago and she's in the scene, doll next to her mom, hanging out in the murder bed but not a spec of blood.

How about how she "attempted" the key to the front door and then "attempted" to get in through that side garage door with all of that stuff blocking it! Surely she knew it was blocked from entering, surely she knew the garage door was busted? Why the story about the attempts to enter those ways? She didn't want to be considered a suspect as someone who knew the garage door was busted.

Clueless jurors from trial 2 - "Where are the shoes? Where is the shirt?" Police didn't take photos or even an inventory list of items from the Explorer. It is wrong to hold anyone accountable for items when there is no accountability! Show me the inventory log and photo of the items and then you can say "Where are these items?!" Otherwise, no way. Police didn't even get a search warrant for the items until 27 months after the murder. I suppose at that point they "lost" a few things. So easy to do when you want to win a conviction and have no evidence. Why no evidence? Maybe because you focused on the wrong person.

Bam. You nailed every point I've been hammering away at since I joined WS.

One thing that concerned me was, one of the hairs they found in MY's hand was a partial DNA match to MY, but they just ruled it out as being MY's without further testing. Also, one of the hairs belonged to an unidentified person. They found blood at the scene, in the closet, on a pair of shoes, that had unidentified DNA, and it had 16 pointers or whatever, so it couldn't have possibly belonged to JY or MY.
Edit: The lab had MF's DNA, JY's DNA, all police and investigators DNA, and about 20 others they were testing against. They also ran all DNA through CODIS. Side note, I'm in CODIS because I had a felony arrest even though charges were never filed. Everyone arrested for high level crimes is in CODIS. I've tried to get myself removed from CODIS because I was never even charged, and it's damn near impossible.

None of the DNA evidence points to JY.

Gas mileage fits his alibi.

CY never identified the attacker. CY chose a female doll over a male doll as she reenacted the attack.

The saddest thing about all of this is the impact it will have on C. I thought about this last night and wondered if I should delete my post as it's not something I would ever want her to read. She is getting to an age where she's going to get curious. It's my opinion that by prosecuting an innocent person and missing an obvious suspect, they have put her at risk and I don't know what to do about it. There is no one to contact to protect her given the status of the court cases. What a nightmare.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
awesomewallflower