Spain Jay Slater, 19, missing on holiday in Tenerife, 17 June 2024 #2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Edited by me for focus.

The road through Masca is only single-carriageway. I suspect that the one bus-stop serves busses in both directions. With no road signs or other reference points, I can easily imagine that Jay couldn't be sure which direction to take.
Yes I agree one stop likely serves both directions...but a British lad ..likely worse for wear could easily not realise that

Can you summarize please?
Just towards the end of this video posted a few pages back. First mention I had seen that Jay / Jays group and the two men from the house knew each other. They had been spending time together on the strip the two days before.

Just towards the end of this video posted a few pages back. First mention I had seen that Jay / Jays group and the two men from the house knew each other. They had been spending time together on the strip the two days before.

I notice that a couple of faces in the video have been blurred out (at around the 8:27 to 8:37 point in the video). I am not sure why they have been blurred out, or whether there is any significance to it.

"Jay's family are all out in Tenerife and I have been speaking to his mother Debbie and his father Warren", Isla said, "they are obviously extremely distressed. What's made this worse, as we've discussed, is all the speculation online."

Warren and Debbie also have their own theory around Jay's disappearance, Isla revealed: "they do believe there's a possibility he could have been picked up."

They don't want to believe that he's possibly just got lost," she added In a statement, the duo said: "we're not losing hope that we will find Jay and return home together."

Maska Ravine

The link is to The Sun newspaper. One paragraph I thought interesting is:

"The Masca ravine is - according to guides for the island - some 3 miles long and 2,000ft deep, with the hiking trail leading from the hills down to the sea."

Is it possible he followed this hiking trail in his disoriented state, lost his footing and possibly ended up in the sea?

Maska Ravine

The link is to The Sun newspaper. One paragraph I thought interesting is:

"The Masca ravine is - according to guides for the island - some 3 miles long and 2,000ft deep, with the hiking trail leading from the hills down to the sea."

Is it possible he followed this hiking trail in his disoriented state, lost his footing and possibly ended up in the sea?
I noticed that too, it also looks like the closer you get to the sea then the steeper the ground becomes. Also, note all of the steep ground to the west and north west of Masca on the attached image.

Attachments

• Masca.png
    Masca.png
    514.1 KB · Views: 33
Just seeing a lot of comments like "why did Jay leave the Road". This might help:
1000003013.png

A is where the track leaves the road. It's not visible here but from overhead it's quite wide and clear. The track heads towards B where another track leads to the building at C. The main track then zig zags back to another building at D, probably hidden in the dip before going another 500m past E and ending in what looks like a viewing point. Jays last ping was somewhere between A and B.

Observations:

1. These will be the first buildings Jay has seen since Masca, about a mile back. If he was at this point thirsty, it might make sense to pop down to see if he could ask for water.
2. In spite of what has been said, he was hardly in the back of beyond at this point. It was a modest ascent back to the road on wide track. Edit: Point A is at 740m elevation. B is at 696m. The second building, D, 675m. So at most a 65m ascent back to the road. Nothing for a young lad, but tired, thirsty and maybe still worse for wear? Enough to make you think about carrying on the track? Not sure.
3. What happened next is crucial. Did he, finding the building empty go back to the road? Did he move on to the second building? Did he then, looking at the climb back up to the road, think "in for a penny" and carry on towards the sea?
4. Ironically if he had continued just 200m along the road Carizalles would have come into view.

Last edited:
Just seeing a lot of comments like "why did Jay leave the Road". This might help:
View attachment 513609

A is where the track leaves the road. It's not visible here but from overhead it's quite wide and clear. The track heads towards B where another track leads to the building at C. The main track then zig zags back to another building at D, probably hidden in the dip before going another 500m past E and ending in what looks like a viewing point. Jays last ping was somewhere between A and B.

Observations:

1. These will be the first buildings Jay has seen since Masca, about a mile back. If he was at this point thirsty, it might make sense to pop down to see if he could ask for water.
2. In spite of what has been said, he was hardly in the back of beyond at this point. It was a modest ascent back to the road on wide track.
3. What happened next is crucial. Did he, finding the building empty go back to the road? Did he move on to the second building? Did he then, looking at the climb back up to the road, think "in for a penny" and carry on towards the sea?
4. Ironically if he had continued just 200m Carizalles would have come into view.
Thanks for this - really useful. I'd go with 3...

View attachment 513609

Observations:

2. In spite of what has been said, he was hardly in the back of beyond at this point. It was a modest ascent back to the road on wide track.
4. Ironically if he had continued just 200m along the road Carizalles would have come into view.
Thanks for this. it supports my theory that he could have ended up falling into the sea, which is why they haven't been able to find him.

They have the Spanish authorities taking care of that and at significantly more cost than £30k. This is just people judging working class people. It's abhorrent.
What does it have to do with them being working class?!
I stand by my opinion that the money could be spent on finding him, rather than flying more people out there who have no expertise in search and rescue.

To me this is pretty straightforward.

1) Jay left 'friends' house about 8 am. Went to the bus stop that was nearby. He asked person about buses on the way.

2) He got to the bus stop. Realised he missed the bus and would have to wait however long for the next one. Probably still steaming from the night before decided to walk instead (I'm sure many of us done it before, maybe not in a foreign country)

3) He initially walked along the road but in the wrong direction. He wondered off the road to a hiking trail. He cut his leg, realized he's lost. He panicked and called his friend around 8:50 am

4) He mentioned to his friend he can't turn back and retrace his steps. Probably he was disoriented.

5) Instead of waiting in place (not sure if it would be any use if the police hasn't started the search until the next day) he continued wondering in mountainous terrain, which we know is treacherous.

It's just a shame the mountain rescue was not notified by the police right away. IMO

Screenshot_20240625-071352~2.png

Source: Google Maps

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members