Spain Jay Slater, 19, missing on holiday in Tenerife, 17 June 2024

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
To most people, it'd be assumed he's hurt himself and is off the side of the road somewhere, dehydrated, waiting to be saved.

I'm wondering why the mum is so sure he's gotten himself into a trouble and been kidnapped. Why doesn't she just believe that the ones messaging that they have him and saying "youll never see him again" are just evil trolls? Why does she think he's genuinely been kidnapped?
Is she just confused and disinorientated?

Maybe to her, the thought of him with kidnappers and alive is a much less scary thought of him injured and alone without food and water or a single soul knowing where he is. She must be frantic. I can't imagine.

Did she know his location? Did she have cab money? Did she know she would be safe going where he was, if she even knew where she was? Could she render the proper aid if he was hurt or otherwise in need of help?

Calling the police is the best idea, not sure why that would be questioned.

jmo
He gave his exact location when he spoke to her. Using the sharing location feature. He stated his leg is scratched on a cactus, but said hes walking the 10 hours back home..
I feel like if it were me, I might even ask someone back in England to wire me money (if needed) and take a taxi there to pick him up, before resorting to calling the police, myself, personally.
I just thought maybe there were aggravating factors that led her to call the police that aren't being said.
Maybe it's simply that his location was very off-road. Maybe he sounded very messed up. Maybe he shared something else alarming. I don't know.
Just throwing ideas out there.

To most people, it'd be assumed he's hurt himself and is off the side of the road somewhere, dehydrated, waiting to be saved.

I'm wondering why the mum is so sure he's gotten himself into a trouble and been kidnapped. Why doesn't she just believe that the ones messaging that they have him and saying "youll never see him again" are just evil trolls? Why does she think he's genuinely been kidnapped?
Is she just confused and disinorientated?

Why did his friend Lucy call police straight away and not just take a cab to his location first?

Those two clearly sensed something extra, right?
There is a certain finality in accepting your child wandered off into the elements under less than ideal conditions.

I find it hard to believe that if he had decided to walk back to (Los Cristianos- presumably where he was going back to) with only 1% battery that he would take any route other than the road. The area is incredibly mountainous. I doubt that anyone with a 10 hour walk ahead would take anything other than the road route except perhaps on a detour to seek water.

Masca has really only one main road passing through it. South East (direction Los Cristianos/Playa de las Americas via Santiago del Teide) and the incorrect direction North West into a mountainous area.
If he had set off in the correct direction he may well have reached Santiago del Teide which is 5.5km. However, I note while only 5.5km, Masca is at an elevation of 650m and Santiago del Teide is 925m. This is considerable walk in the Summer especially if he was dehydrated after partying and might have taken several hours even for a young person. I would be surprised if he was not spotted in Santiago del Teido by someone if he had passed through that but I don't think we know this. Was he seen there ? He might from there have taken an incorrect road out rather than the road to the South which is a main road. In that area, any incorrect road basically leads to just mountainous road with many hours of walking.
The potential search area will be utterly enormous especially as is presumably a fit young man who may have been able to walk a considerable distance from where he started.

If he got to Santiago del Teide he would have probably found water there even without any money. Most Spanish villages have water fountains for drinking. However, with no phone and presumably no map he may have had little idea which road to follow.

If the pinned location in earlier posts is correct, he took the incorrect direction out of Masca on the T436 North West direction and reached the Barranco Juan Lopez. Maybe he tried to find water in the gorge/ravine. If he continued on the T436 in a committed way in the incorrect direction instead of turning back he would have many hours of walking on mountain road and would not have found any houses before nighttime. It is very remote.

Last edited:
He gave his exact location when he spoke to her. Using the sharing location feature. He stated his leg is scratched on a cactus, but said hes walking the 10 hours back home..
I feel like if it were me, I might even ask someone back in England to wire me money (if needed) and take a taxi there to pick him up, before resorting to calling the police, myself, personally.
I just thought maybe there were aggravating factors that led her to call the police that aren't being said.
Maybe it's simply that his location was very off-road. Maybe he sounded very messed up. Maybe he shared something else alarming. I don't know.
Just throwing ideas out there.
Do you have a link to that about about the cactus? I want to read it because all I saw was this:

Yesterday morning (June 17), Jay called Lucy to say he was trying to walk back after not being able to catch a bus. He told her his phone battery was on 1 per cent, that he needed a drink of water and 'didn't know where he was', Lucy said.

His phone then died with his last location showing as being in 'the middle of mountains with nothing around'. The location is in the Rural de Teno Park - or the National Park of Teno - which is popular with hikers.

Based on that, there would have been no way she could have found him.

This case is reminding me so much of the case of Alvaro Prieto that happened last year here in Spain, he was a 18 year old boy who was suposed to take a train in the morning after having been partying all night with some friends. He lost the train and he didnt have battery on the phone or money to buy another one. He asked the person selling train tickets to recharge his phone but they didnt help him. Unfortunately for some reason then he decided to jump on the roof of a train that was parked and got electrocuted and died. He was missing for a few days before they found him. Its such a sad story since there are so many other courses of action he could have taken instead of the fatal one. I feel like this one is going in a similar direction. So sad that he didnt just wait on the bus stop and call his friend to come pick him up for example.

If it were me, I might even ask someone back in England to wire me money (if needed) and take a taxi there to pick him up, before resorting to calling the police, myself, personally.
You do realise it's nearly an hour's drive from where Lucy was staying to the house where Jay went to?

And considering it's nearly €20 for a short 10 minute taxi ride in Tenerife, you can imagine how much it'll cost to get up to that rural area in the north west. If you could find a taxi willing to do it. Because they'd have to come all the way back again too, if Lucy got them to stay while she asked questions.
I don't think €200 euros would be out of the question, if not more.

Last edited:
his last location showing as being in 'the middle of mountains with nothing around'. The location is in the Rural de Teno Park
Based on that, there would have been no way she could have found him.
That was his last phone ping.
But Lucy knew where the house was as he sent her Snapchats and she would've got his location from that.....

After seeing the screenshot of his pin drop and his description of the surrounding areas it seems he may have found himself on the barranco de juan lopez trail which even seasoned hikers say is nothing but dangerous

Attachments

• IMG_3976.png
    IMG_3976.png
    156.4 KB · Views: 126
After seeing the screenshot of his pin drop and his description of the surrounding areas it seems he may have found himself on the barranco de juan lopez trail which even seasoned hikers say is nothing but dangerous
Oh, man, and the review even mentions the cactus.

ETA: Lots of pics with the reviews. You can't even make out a trail in most of them. Looks like being lost in the

Last edited:
Who knew. Mainland Spain maybe but Tenerife isn’t a quick flight.

I would see if they were at the 3 day festival but to arrive the Saturday (if indeed it was the Saturday just past, day 2 of the NRG festival) and hire a car. Just screams strange to me. If your somewhere for 2 nights you would surely want to be closer to the event you are attending given the tight turnaround. Just something seems off with that situation in my opinion. Not saying they are involved atall just a few red flags.
I wonder if this festival sells out? Maybe it's something they just decided to do once they arrived as they saw it was on.

The Barranco de Juan Lopez trail;
Stunning landscape.
As the video progresses, it's a tough and dangerous trail. If Jay took this and got lost up there, it's really not good. Very difficult and rugged area to search.
(video starts fuzzy, but very sharp thereafter)

The Barranco de Juan Lopez trail;
Stunning landscape.
As the video progresses, it's a tough and dangerous trail. If Jay took this and got lost up there, it's really not good. Very difficult and rugged area to search.
(video starts fuzzy, but very sharp thereafter)
WOW. That guy is obviously an experienced hiker and knew where he was going. I can't imagine someone who isn't experienced and w/o some kind of GPS guiding every step not falling or even being able to proceed anywhere. That poor kid :( I also find it unconscionable that those two guys took him so far out there without assuring he could get back safely.

WOW. That guy is obviously an experienced hiker and knew where he was going. I can't imagine someone who isn't experienced and w/o some kind of GPS guiding every step not falling or even being able to proceed anywhere. That poor kid :( I also find it unconscionable that those two guys took him so far out there without assuring he could get back safely.
The 2 guys may have thought he managed to get the bus. They may have been asleep when he left. We really don’t know.

<modsnip - quoted post was removed>
Do you know what the bus schedule was? I was thinking it's maybe just once per day. How he got it in his head that he walk back when it takes an hour to drive there I also can't imagine. Then, again, he's a kid.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member