DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Matthew charged with first-degree murder in Hannah Graham killing
The Daily Progress
By Dani Kass Tuesday, Feb 10, '15 11:05 am

Charlottesville man charged in Hannah Graham’s killing
The Washington Post
By Nick Anderson and Justin Jouvenal February 10 at 1:35 PM

"Camblos said that Matthew will be transported to Charlottesville next week and is scheduled to appear in court on Feb. 18 by video feed from the Albemarle-Charlottesville Regional Jail."

[snipped]

"Capital convictions are typically reviewed in state and federal appellate courts, providing more opportunities for a verdict to be overturned."

[snipped]

“I know he’s not going to be free, ever,” Harrington said. “A driving motivator since Morgan was killed is try to save the next girl.”

Matthew Charged with 1st-Degree Murder of Hannah Graham
WVIR NBC29
Henry Graff reports on Feb 10, '15 at 6:00 pm est from Court Square

It is possible the evidence doesn't prove capital murder and just as possible it does. The trial will reveal if the evidence supports capital murder; and if it does, then I'm sure the prosecution had very just reasons for not pursuing such a conviction. In the meantime, it's good to know a conviction of first degree murder in Virginia also carries the death penalty. Even if the death penalty isn't pursued then Jesse Matthew is looking at life in prison with zero chance at parole since the Commonwealth of Virginia abolished the opportunity for parole in felony convictions ten years ago.

On a side note, I believe the charge of first degree murder can still be amended to capital murder if the prosecution decides and has reason to amend it.

And there's all this, good start so far

After watching evening news in Va, I feel the Grahams did have influence on the decision as you all stated. And bless them. It's not up to me to decide. But yes, I was surprised at announcement earlier today.

Very curious to see what happens going forward with MH case.

There won't be a lot of leaks. And thank goodness for that. Most cases in the Commonwealth are very tight lipped. I hope nothing is leaked and we are all kept in the dark until it's time for the case to go to trial and a jury is chosen.

After watching evening news in Va, I feel the Grahams did have influence on the decision as you all stated. And bless them. It's not up to me to decide. But yes, I was surprised at announcement earlier today.

There won't be a lot of leaks. And thank goodness for that. Most cases in the Commonwealth are very tight lipped. I hope nothing is leaked and we are all kept in the dark until it's time for the case to go to trial and a jury is chosen.

If, as many of us believe, Hannah's parents had influence in the decision not to seek the death penalty, all I can say is they are better people than I am...I would want him to fry. JMO

If, as many of us believe, Hannah's parents had influence in the decision not to seek the death penalty, all I can say is they are better people than I am...I would want him to fry. JMO

I would imagine the Grahams are thinking of more than themselves or what may assuage their sense of justice, at any time when it comes to their daughter, may she rest in peace.

They could still have charged capital murder without seeking the death penalty. Charging only 1st degree murder removes the possibility of pursuing the death penalty down the road without going through a lot of hurdles....withdrawing and recharging. I think this was a calculated political decision beyond input from the Grahams. Perhaps geared to the constituency who elected her. But a lot of leverage was lost by folding on the death penalty this early. Namely the ability to get information from the accused in exchange for LWOP. There is still the possibility that he could be charged with capital for the other murder. Strange decision IMO.

628x471.jpg
TEAM HANNAH from here

Hannah Graham: What role did DNA evidence play in the charges against Jesse Matthew?
Forensic evidence could be key to charging the Charlottesville native in the murder of University of Virginia student Hannah Graham.
By Jessica Mendoza, Staff Writer The Christian Science Monitor Feb 10, '15

Matthew faces possible two life sentences in Graham case
By Dani Kass The Daily Progress Tuesday, Feb 10, '15 10:38 pm

Jesse Matthew, Jr. Charged in Murder of Hannah Graham
Hawes Spencer of WVTF reports @ 3:45 pm Tue Feb 10, '15

Jesse Matthew indicted for 1st-degree murder of U.Va. student Hannah Graham
Jeff Goldberg reports NewsChannel 8, The Associated Press, Feb 9, '15 - 08:17 pm

Jesse Matthew Charged with 1st Degree Murder, Abduction with Intent to Defile
Suri Crowe reports Feb 10, '15 11:28 am est

Charlottesville community reacts to Jesse Matthew murder charge
WDBJ7 Reporter Nadine Maeser 11:27 pm Feb 10,'15

Video: News conference on Hannah Graham investigation Wavy 10 On Your Side Feb 10, '15, 12:03 pm
Press Conference Remarks:
https://lintvwavy.files.wordpress.com/2015/02/press-conference-statement-denise-lunsford.pdf
https://lintvwavy.files.wordpress.com/2015/02/press-conference-remarks-colonel-sellers.pdf

Lisa Provence C-Ville Weekly 2/10/15 at 11:26 AM
Jesse Matthew Indictments:
http://www.scribd.com/doc/255318575/Jesse-Matthew-Indictments

<BBM for Focus>
Imo, keeping folks in the dark enabled Jesse Matthews to continue his evil trail of terror for years or decades while hiding in plain sight and remaining stealth. Silence by LE and the Justice System is the sexual predator/serial killer's most lethal weapon..jmo

I'm not the Grahams, but I'm from the UK and I'd be perfectly content to see him fry.

I'd also bring him back to life just to do it all over again. But that's just me.

So relieved to finally see this! This case keeps me awake at night. I can't stop thinking about Hannah. Maybe I can rest a little easier now knowing this monster will never be free again. Now I hope for justice for Morgan too.

I hope Hannah's parents can eventually find a little bit of peace. Bless you, Hannah. <3

Matthew in Albemarle Court for Preliminary Hearing
Posted: Feb 18, 2015 10:16 AM EST
Updated: Feb 18, 2015 11:26 AM EST

ALBEMARLE COUNTY, Va (WVIR) -
UPDATE: A three week jury trial has been set for June 29

The man charged with abducting and killing University of Virginia student Hannah Graham has a preliminary hearing set today in Albemarle County.

Jesse Matthew is scheduled to be arraigned on charges of first degree murder, abduction, and reckless driving in Albemarle County Circuit Court at 11 a.m. The judge is also expected to set future hearings in the case. A grand jury indicted Matthew on these new charges on February 2. . .

From Coy Barefoot's FB page, just now:

BREAKING NOW. a three-week jury trial has been set to begin on June 29 in Albemarle County Circuit Court to try Jesse Matthew in the abduction and murder of Hannah Graham. Trial set for June 29-July 17 here in Charlottesville

Neal Augenstein tweets: "Defense lawyer Jim Camblos tells judge he will not want a jury trial for #JesseMatthew in death of #HannahGraham"

So Camblos wants a bench trial or a plea bargain? Legal folks, help! What does Camblos mean?

Okay, so a slight clarification on Coy's page, with a comment from Dave Mehringer:

Neil also tweeted "@AugensteinWTOP: Correction: Though Jim Camblos asked for non-jury trial, prosecution preference trumps in this jurisdiction."

Neal Augenstein's twitter feed, posted after the hearing at the courthouse: https://twitter.com/AugensteinWTOP

From Coy Barefoot's FB page, just now:

BREAKING NOW. a three-week jury trial has been set to begin on June 29 in Albemarle County Circuit Court to try Jesse Matthew in the abduction and murder of Hannah Graham. Trial set for June 29-July 17 here in Charlottesville

Neal Augenstein tweets: "Defense lawyer Jim Camblos tells judge he will not want a jury trial for #JesseMatthew in death of #HannahGraham"

So Camblos wants a bench trial or a plea bargain? Legal folks, help! What does Camblos mean?

Thank you, Concerned Mama, for all the links on Hannah Graham's threads and everything.

"Albemarle Co pros Denise Lunsford wants subpoenas sealed to avoid media questioning witnesses b4," as Neal Augenstein tweets. "trail."

Ms. Lunsford sounds very wise. My thoughts are with Hannah's folks, friends and her advocates.

June trial set for man charged in Hannah Graham's death
AP / Roanoke Times Wednesday, Feb 18, '15 12:38 pm

Jesse Matthew trial for murder to start in June
Nikki Burdine, WUSA 1:34 pm Feb 18, '15

Trial set for June 29 for suspect in killing of Virginia student Hannah Graham
By Gary Robertson / Reuters / WTVB Wednesday, Feb 18, '15 1:37 pm

June Trial Set for Man Charged in Murder of Hannah Graham
NBC4 Washington / Updated 35 minutes ago and

Jury trial set for Jesse Matthew in Hannah Graham murder case
NBC12's Shawn Maclauchlan / WSMV Feb 18, '15 11:43 am

Trial date set for man accused of killing U-Va. student Hannah Graham
By T. Rees Shapiro and Justin Jouvenal February 18 at 12:15 pm
The Washington Post

Jesse Matthew jury trial slated to begin in June
By Dani Kass Wed, Feb 18, '15 12:36 pm
The Daily Progress

An update from Coy Barefoot this evening:

MEDIA ADVISORY - HEARING SCHEDULED IN JESSE MATTHEW CASE
A hearing in the Jesse Matthew case is scheduled for Wednesday, March 4, at 10:30 am in the Albemarle County Circuit Courthouse, Court Square, 501 East Jefferson Street, Charlottesville, VA. Mr. Matthew is scheduled to attend the hearing in person. Information regarding whether cameras will be permitted in the court room will be provided following the judge&#8217;s decision on this matter.

Thank you, OkieGranny, for the news

Attorneys for Jesse Matthew seek delay of Hannah Graham trial
Posted: Monday, March 2, 2015 7:49 pm
Daily Progress Staff Reports

"A delayed trial date would give an expert sufficient time to examine the prosecution&#8217;s DNA evidence, Matthew&#8217;s lawyers, former Albemarle County Commonwealth&#8217;s Attorney Jim Camblos and public defender Jim Hingeley, argue."

CBS News 6 / WTVR about the motions to be considered in the morning.
6:15PM, MARCH 2, 2015

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
curiosities
Back