JLM: Morgan Harrington/Fairfax Rape Victim - *Forensic Link* to MH #2

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I first saw mention of it tonight on CNN's Erin Burnett Out Front. I can't recall the words Burnett used, but she made it seem that she heard from LE that there's a real possibility of the link. After I saw this, I looked it up on Google. I found a story on the webpage of WIBW Channel 13 from Topeka, Kansas???
This is a snippet from the article:

"In addition, authorities said they are studying other unsolved homicide and missing person cases in Virginia: In Campbell County, the sheriff's office is investigating a possible link to the case of Cassandra Morton, whose body was found in a wooded area near Lynchburg in November 2009; in Orange, police are checking for possible ties to the missing person case of Samantha Ann Clarke, who was last seen September 13, 2010; and in Montgomery County, the sheriff's office is looking for possible links to the unsolved 2009 shooting deaths of two Virginia Tech students, Heidi Childs and David Metzler."

This is the link to the story:

http://www.wibw.com/home/headlines/...e-To-2-Missing-Virginia-Women--277605341.html

If there is any connection to the Samantha Clarke disappearance, that would be a VERY big deal. There are already documented connections between Randy Taylor (who was convicted of a different murder earlier this year) to Samantha Clarke. So if they are thinking that JM might also be connected, that would strongly infer that there may be connections between Taylor and Matthew.

LE enforcement has also been reported today searching Rt20 north of Cville. That is the road that you would take if you were going from Cville to Orange County.

meh... he did most of his crimes when no one was around and with no cameras. this time he screwed up. I just listen to what his classmates posted about his intelligence. I think they know more than we do....can deduce.

How does someone with an IQ of 80 (which has been suggested during the larger case discussion) get away with murder and rape for nearly 15 years? Is he actually low IQ, really good at appearing contrite and playing dumb, or is he simply rather clever when it comes to rape and murder?

If there is any connection to the Samantha Clarke disappearance, that would be a VERY big deal. There are already documented connections between Randy Taylor (who was convicted of a different murder earlier this year) to Samantha Clarke. So if they are thinking that JM might also be connected, that would strongly infer that there may be connections between Taylor and Matthew.

LE enforcement has also been reported today searching Rt20 north of Cville. That is the road that you would take if you were going from Cville to Orange County.

Very interesting. I know little about the Clarke case, but have heard a little about Randy Taylor and Alexis Murphy. I know a good deal about the Metzler/Childs case.

Very interesting. I know little about the Clarke case, but have heard a little about Randy Taylor and Alexis Murphy. I know a good deal about the Metzler/Childs case.

I understand that there is DNA from the Heidi Childs case, yet that DNA was never connected to the Morgan Harrington case, or the 2005 Fairfax attempted rape case. Wouldn't that suggest that a different person is responsible?

How does someone with an IQ of 80 (which has been suggested during the larger case discussion) get away with murder and rape for nearly 15 years? Is he actually low IQ, really good at appearing contrite and playing dumb, or is he simply rather clever when it comes to rape and murder?

The IQ of 80 has not been confirmed has it? JM graduated high school and has done some university time too. I know he was on a sports scholarship but he must have done some academic work while attending the two universities he went to. I think he is playing dumb.

I understand that there is DNA from the Heidi Childs case, yet that DNA was never connected to the Morgan Harrington case, or the 2005 Fairfax attempted rape case. Wouldn't that suggest that a different person is responsible?

I would imagine the dna would have been shared in a national database, but I have no heard if it was or not. But, I agree usually it is shared and a computer will pick up a connection.

Someone with an IQ of 80 doesn't get into two separate colleges. Even for his football skills.

The IQ of 80 has not been confirmed has it? JM graduated high school and has done some university time too. I know he was on a sports scholarship but he must have done some academic work while attending the two universities he went to. I think he is playing dumb.

Not at all. I agree with you. The low IQ comment was pure speculation that was posted prior to there being a connection between Morgan and Hannah ... in keeping with the suggestion that Jesse has some sort of mental disability. In my opinion, he was drunk the night he abducted Hannah, and that is why he was uninhibited and aggressive towards others. Some have suggested that he was sober and that he normally interfered with other people, but that doesn't make sense given his role in a hospital. I'm of the opinion that, based on his admission to two universities, and status of having successfully completed a year and being promoted to the second year, Jesse is an above average intelligence individual. That opinion is strengthened with the knowledge that he successfully eluded capture for rape and murder for almost 15 years.

What is this I'm reading about a a 'defence fund'. Just wow!! They seem completely ignorant and maybe even as psychotic as he is.

That fund was started the night before the connection was made with Morgan's case. I suppose family, and perhaps friends, are unable to accept that the police were simply doing their jobs when they arrested the 32 year old man that was last seen with an incapacitated 18 year old Hannah.

I would imagine the dna would have been shared in a national database, but I have no heard if it was or not. But, I agree usually it is shared and a computer will pick up a connection.

Yeah, I get your point. That stated, they may have withheld this information for whatever reason. Also, I believe there is a real possibility that JM hasn't always worked alone. I know, for instance, there was some thought that the Harrington case may have involved multiple perps.

Someone with an IQ of 80 doesn't get into two separate colleges. Even for his football skills.

I have no idea about JM's IQ but there are "student athletes" who can't even read, probably some at most of the major universities. They often have real students assigned to do their work and every once in a while, a story breaks about one of them and then goes away pretty quickly. So feasibly one could be an athlete at college and have a low IQ. Anyway, low intelligence is not an excuse for criminal behavior.

Jmo

Not at all. I agree with you. The low IQ comment was pure speculation that was posted prior to there being a connection between Morgan and Hannah ... in keeping with the suggestion that Jesse has some sort of mental disability. In my opinion, he was drunk the night he abducted Hannah, and that is why he was uninhibited and aggressive towards others. Some have suggested that he was sober and that he normally interfered with other people, but that doesn't make sense given his role in a hospital. I'm of the opinion that, based on his admission to two universities, and status of having successfully completed a year and being promoted to the second year, Jesse is an above average intelligence individual. That opinion is strengthened with the knowledge that he successfully eluded capture for rape and murder for almost 15 years.

Imo, the reference to the IQ of 80 was in an earlier discussion of Green River Serial Killer; Gary Ridgeway(1980s). GR whose IQ was around 80 evaded capture for over two decades by the green river task force. Task force officials chalked up his ability to evade them for decades was due to him being idiot savant.. He was eventually captured and brought to justice due to DNA technology advancements 11/2001.

Imo, JM's IQ has not been discussed and will likely remain unknown until trial.

Yeah, I get your point. That stated, they may have withheld this information for whatever reason. Also, I believe there is a real possibility that JM hasn't always worked alone. I know, for instance, there was some thought that the Harrington case may have involved multiple perps.

BBM. A lot of the DNA commentary starts to make sense if in some cases LE has more than one set of DNA (other than the victim's.) Also, just because JM may have committed some rapes by himself, does not mean that he could not have participated in some sort of group activity as well. And no one on WS has enough reliable info on JM right now to come up with an accurate "profile" that would eliminate that possibility.

I don't recall that. There was some speculation that the athletes at the parking lot where Morgan's phone was found were involved, but that was never an official police theory. The theory seemed to be that she dropped her belongings in the parking lot because she was so incapacitated. Then, she walked across the Copley bridge. Witnesses placed her at the other side of the bridge hitch hiking. That was the last she was seen. There was nothing about hitch hiking, or her remains, that suggested more than one culprit. In fact, DNA from only one suspect was identified.

I think it is also possible and very likely that he isn't IQ or book smart but is very street wise. Given his background in fishing and the outdoors, it seems that he would have a good knowledge of things not measured by tests.

Imo, the reference to the IQ of 80 was in an earlier discussion of Green River Serial Killer; Gary Ridgeway(1980s). GR whose IQ was around 80 evaded capture for over two decades by the green river task force. Task force officials chalked up his ability to evade them for decades was due to him being idiot savant.. He was eventually captured and brought to justice due to DNA technology advancements 11/2001.

Imo, JM's IQ has not been discussed and will likely remain unknown until trial.

I have to wonder if his IQ was tested as a child, or after he was arrested ... because if it was after he was arrested, I wouldn't trust it. I don't think it's that difficult for someone to appear stupid on an IQ test if that's what they want people to think.

I don't recall that. There was some speculation that the athletes at the parking lot where Morgan's phone was found were involved, but that was never an official police theory. The theory seemed to be that she dropped her belongings in the parking lot because she was so incapacitated. Then, she walked across the Copley bridge. Witnesses placed her at the other side of the bridge hitch hiking. That was the last she was seen. There was nothing about hitch hiking, or her remains, that suggested more than one culprit. In fact, DNA from only one suspect was identified.

I spent an hour yesterday looking for press reports about DNA evidence related to MH. Can you point me in the direction of where it says that DNA from only suspect was found?

Also, one of the press releases from the VA State Police discussing the discovery on Anchorage Farm refer to "person(s) responsible." Odd phrasing, no?

BBM. A lot of the DNA commentary starts to make sense if in some cases LE has more than one set of DNA (other than the victim's.) Also, just because JM may have committed some rapes by himself, does not mean that he could not have participated in some sort of group activity as well. And no one on WS has enough reliable info on JM right now to come up with an accurate "profile" that would eliminate that possibility.

Is it logical to state that because we can't eliminate the possibility that Jesse had an accomplice, even though there is no evidence that he did, we should assume that he might have had an accomplice? Wouldn't it make more sense to assume that, based on the evidence so far, we worked alone?

What we do know is that the FBI describe one person of interest in Morgan's murder. Everything in the FBI profile describes a single person, not a duo, or group ... and the FBI do have enough information to come up with an accurate profile.

"FBI agents in our Charlottesville Resident Agency have been assisting state investigators, and profilers from our Behavioral Analysis Unit (BAU) have also provided consultation.

“A lot of BAU’s work focused on the location of the body and what that told us about the offender,” Cappuzzo said. “We believe he was intimately familiar with the farm and the surrounding area where the body was recovered. He may have been comfortable there and felt he was not at risk of getting caught

"We are asking the public to review the sketches and other information in the Morgan Harrington and Fairfax City cases and consider whether they know someone who fits this description or who lived or had ties to the areas around the times of the assaults.

People who know the suspect may not believe he is capable of committing such crimes. He may not have a violent criminal history. Because investigators have DNA evidence that can positively link the suspect to his crimes—or exclude innocent parties—the public should not hesitate to provide information.

The Jefferson Area Crime Stoppers is offering a $100,000 reward for information leading to the arrest and conviction of the person responsible for Morgan’s murder. The band Metallica has added an additional $50,000 to that amount."

http://www.fbi.gov/news/stories/201...an-harrington-killer/morgan-harrington_060412

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NeilC