JLM: Morgan Harrington/Fairfax Rape Victim - *Forensic Link* to MH #2

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
No they got DNA when they found her body. There was some tissue left when they found it although it was almost completely skeletonised

They also found pieces of clothing and her jewelry. Lots of opportunity for DNA to be left on any of those, in addition to the tissue, hair etc.

If DNA evidence is enough to exonerate someone, shouldn't the opposite be true, i.e. that is should be enough for a conviction? I thought the chance of a DNA match is 1 to a billion? I'm not a criminal attorney or forensic scientist, so I am really interested in an explanation. I totally get that they want to take their time to get an airtight case before charges are brought.

I was thinking about this. I highly doubt this is the case and that there's stronger evidence that this. But hypothetically a missing girl's umbrella is found with her DNA on it in JM's possession, either at his home or in car. Many people forget items in cabs. So while the umbrella proves she was with him, how to prove he sexually assaulted her and killed her.

I almost want to delete this b/c it's a defense argument. But I'm pretty confident LE already has stronger evidence in both MH and HG's cases against JM. A suspect's DNA on a deceased's body is much stronger, direct evidence, so if he's a match I'd think that would be enough, especially if no one else's DNA is found on a body.

jmo

Honestly, if JM's lawyer needs to come to WS to find defense arguments, he is a pretty rotten lawyer!

I was thinking about this. I highly doubt this is the case and that there's stronger evidence that this. But hypothetically a missing girl's umbrella is found with her DNA on it in JM's possession, either at his home or in car. Many people forget items in cabs. So while the umbrella proves she was with him, how to prove he sexually assaulted her and killed her.

I almost want to delete this b/c it's a defense argument. But I'm pretty confident LE already has stronger evidence in both MH and HG's cases against JM. A suspect's DNA on a deceased's body is much stronger, direct evidence, so if he's a match I'd think that would be enough, especially if no one else's DNA is found on a body.

jmo

A cigarette with his DNA? Would that be good though because it could be said it was brought there by some animal or bird.

I wonder if his family thinks it is him yet.

Well I don't know what the family dynamic is, but I feel very sad for his family...the family rarely knows, they may have concerns...maybe he did things as a kid...probably...fires, peeping, pets disappearing...

They knew he could get in trouble...this they knew.

They knew he had been accused with girls...but I think they probably believed he just wasn't controlling himself. IMO MOO...maybe the barf with the body was from the guy who found her...I doubt barf would hang around all that time..

I'm not ready to assume the link is DNA. Since LE has stated there is a forensic link between JM & MH, but they have not stated that there is a forensic link between JM and MH and the Fairfax victim, (although MH & the Fairfax victim are linked via perp DNA) it leads me to believe the forensic link is likely something else i.e. something unique to MH. Probably many parallel investigations going on behind the scenes. JMO.

It is DNA...

http://www.cnn.com/2014/09/29/us/virginia-hannah-graham/index.html

My guess is that they are connected to certain people at crime labs, LE, etc... and that thse people have a genuine concern for the Harringtons and think they owe it to them to at least know some basics. I got the impression when Gil let it slip that Morgan's bones had been crushed, that this was more than LE wanted revealed. So...TOTALLY MY GUESS... but they were probably told fairly early "off the record" that there was a DNA match from JLM to Morgan. Just my 2 cents worth.

Then LE put out a possibility that the body could have been run over by a vehicle. Not certain it was LE who put that out but recall reading this.

Then LE put out a possibility that the body could have been run over by a vehicle. Not certain it was LE who put that out but recall reading this.

I doubt LE would want to publicly contradict the parents if they had formed opinions from info they may have heard or seen, which could be why the autopsy report and cause of death (if known) was never released. But it will have to come out in court. I too think being run over by accident is possible, sometime after death, but jmo. Any number of things could have happened during those three or so months.

I would think if someone was run over you'd be able to tell.

original post by foxfire --> Bumping-->

"I couldn't imagine".. <BBM>

http://findmorgan.com/family-blog/gil-harringtons-thoughts-from-september-18-2012/

Gil Harrington&#8217;s Thoughts from September 18, 2012

Autopsy Report
Which seat do you choose? Among all the comfortable chairs in this house, which one is the right one to support me as I open and read the Medical Examiner&#8217;s autopsy report for our slain daughter, Morgan Dana Harrington?
It is a thick envelope. The kids always said a fat envelop was a good sign; typically meaning something positive, like an acceptance to college. Thick or pancake flat envelope makes no difference in this missive; it is all bad news. It is stupid of me to be so avoidant of this written document. I have seen the damage, felt the bones, smelled the rot. Still to experience the objectivity and scientific analysis inherent in the autopsy report is going to be so disturbing. She wasn&#8217;t a 20 year old white female, 5feet7 inches&#8230;&#8230; She was Morgan, our baby girl with shiny hair, flashing eyes and such sweet silky soft skin. How could he have ended all that? I will never understand the evil, the cruelty of this killer

As time passes, Morgan, I feel mounting urgency about other young women that may fall in this predator&#8217;s path. I feel his blood lust growing and am frantic in my determination to Help Save the Next Girl.
<sniped - Read More>

You are so right, AVIXEN. Athena Jones does definitely say in her tv news clip that it was DNA that was matched. But since this is the first time that the forensic evidence has been identified as DNA, I find it suspicious that in the tv's text summary they never refer to it as DNA ~ only as "forensic link." Is there any chance that Athena Jones made the jump from forensic evidence to DNA without any supporting statements from the proper authorities? I :dunno: but I am withholding my assessment for right now.

I cannot imagine them touching her bones, omigod...breaks my heart...I remember a while back someone even speculated she was dropped from a plane, he would need a baseball at or a big rock to do that,

What other means? Could he have done this bare handed? I can't believe how smug he was in court, imagine , he doesn't like his slab and sitting around in a paper dress...this is his only concern....himself.

Well, god will have him ultimately and that is some comfort. IMO

The owner of Anchorage Farm was checking his fence when he discovered MH's body. A farm has a fence to keep in cows. 2,000 pound cows would definitely break bones.

You are so right, AVIXEN. Athena Jones does definitely say in her tv news clip that it was DNA that was matched. But since this is the first time that the forensic evidence has been identified as DNA, I find it suspicious that in the tv's text summary they never refer to it as DNA ~ only as "forensic link." Is there any chance that Athena Jones made the jump from forensic evidence to DNA without any supporting statements from the proper authorities? I :dunno: but I am withholding my assessment for right now.

LE officially did NOT say DNA, but the unofficial word is that it is. But there are different levels of DNA evidence too. Le seems to want to keep this under wraps.

LE has not said what happened to MH from all I've read, but the mother read the autopsy report and she has publically said that the assailant brutally broke her daughter's bones and that she was so killed. But whether she meant that precisely as the actual cause of death, I don't know. I 've read that the body could have been roughly handled as it was taken to its resting place, that tractors or other vehicles could have run it over the way it was hidden, and also that it is unlikely that it happened as tractors did not tend to go there (though the person who found the body was with or on a tractor when he found it) But nothing from LE.

That's all typical. LE does not like to give out a lot of details. When cases go to trial, that's when this sort of info comes out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Superman221