JLM: Morgan Harrington/Fairfax Rape Victim - *Forensic Link* to MH #2

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Motions for Change of venues by defense attorneys, although common, are rarely granted in most states. Due to national ms media coverage and internet social sites, it would be virtually impossible to find folks in other states that wasn't familiar with this case. An informed juror is not grounds for striking a juror, imo. Should a change of venue be granted, the jurors are usually brought in from another judicial district of the state and tried in the district where the crime/s were committed in the 21st century. jmo

I hear that said in every case, but I don't know how true it really is. I do not think that everyone in the country, especially a year or more from now, is familiar with the case to the point that they wouldn't be able to serve on a jury. Simply hearing of a case doesn't mean one isn't eligible.

I hear that said in every case, but I don't know how true it really is. I do not think that everyone in the country, especially a year or more from now, is familiar with the case to the point that they wouldn't be able to serve on a jury. Simply hearing of a case doesn't mean one isn't eligible.

It's not so much the change of venue, which as Foxfire informs us is rarely granted, that can hurt a case. When the jury pool is heavily tainted, it doesn't leave a lot left for one side or the other. In one case, I believe the OJ case, what was left once, the clear strikes were left was slim pickings for a good jury for the state. That can happen and does in many high profile cases.

The Leiby Kletzy case got so vicious in certain circles that a lot of cautions had to be given that it was severely hampering it. I think that was in part why a plea bargain was worked out. Before the case went to trial, the perp was permitted to plead guilty to one charge of second-degree murder and one charge of second-degree kidnapping, outrageous, considering this monster took a little boy, killed him and chopped him up to pieces and left them at the dumpster . And LE had ALL the evidence. Levi Aron was sentenced to 40 years to life in prison. Aron would be eligible for parole in 2051, which includes credit for time served. The hate and notoriety that came from that case was so bad, that they could not get decent counsel for the guy, and he ended up with a lawyer so inexperienced and so bad that the judge had to reprimand her and threaten the case. Yes, this can happen when you go after someone with the pitchforks and torches.

A badly tainted jury pool can hurt the state as well as the defense, but the state generally has but one shot at it. Defense has appeals.

At this point, there is so much info flying around about the MH case, that I don't even know what is so and what is not. I don't think what cabbys tell MSM or interviewers is reliable. It was so bad that the police had to step in and correct some false info that was making the rounds too intensely.

We don't know, do we, at this point whether MH got into a cab that night she disappeared? Do we know if JM was driving his cab that night for sure, and if he was, was he officially on, or just driving personally? Were all cabbies officially on duty that night in Charolottesville, interviewed or asked to come in to be interviewed? Was JM interviewed by the police? All of these things have been presented as fact, here and there, and it's getting confusing what is and what isn't.

Also, some of MH's parents statements are confusing as to whether they are fact or opinion. Gil Harrinton on her blog says that she did get her daughter's autopsy results. She has stated publicly that MH was raped, and that she was also brutally beaten up, and the implication was that it was before she died that it happened. I don't know if she got that from the report and it's the conclusion of the ME , or her own. From what I understand, the remains, were skeletal (I guess that would include hair and nails) and it's possible that since the trek from any road to where she was left was a rought one and pretty long, that anyone hauling or dragging the body was rough with it, and some of the damage done to the bones was from that. I really have no idea.

Until a case goes to trial, a lot of the information is kept as evidence and not released to the public. Even when it does go to trial some things never come out. A lot of evidence, including things that might be considered common knowledge and the fact, end up inadmissable or irrelevant in court.

Right now, the thing that interests me the most about the MH case is exactly what the forensic link is to Hannah's case. If there is not a direct DNA match made between JM from the samples taken from him in custody recently and anything in the case, it may not be much to go upon. There seems to be indications that the link is strong, and I hope so, for the sake of the Harringtons. It would mean a lot to them, and it will make the world safer if that killer were out of circulation.

With the amount of leaks that are coming from the prosecution/LE's side, I hope we don't hear them complaining when the defense requests a change of venue.

I can't think of too many cases that continue to have new information coming out on the regular after the suspect is charged.

I think the forensic link came from the cab.

The media reported yesterday (Oct 9) that the cab was seized by LE "two weeks ago." Two weeks ago yesterday was Sept 25, so give or take a day or two. Wed Sept 24, Thur Sept 25, Fri Sept 26

The media reported the forensic link on Mon Sept 29.

As discussed ad infinitum in this thread and others, the forensic link doesn't have to be DNA. Seems to me link other types of forensic links wouldn't take as long to process as DNA. Wed, Thurs, or Fri until Mon would probably be long enough to establish such a link, if it was not DNA.

Plus, I believe if the link was DNA, they'd have also said that JM is connected to Fairfax. They weren't shy about saying he was connected to MH, via whatever that forensic link is.

The inside of that cab may be a mess. Just think. :thinking:

Imo.

I really, really, REALLY want to know where they found the cab.

I think the forensic link came from the cab.

The media reported yesterday (Oct 9) that the cab was seized by LE "two weeks ago." Two weeks ago yesterday was Sept 25, so give or take a day or two. Wed Sept 24, Thur Sept 25, Fri Sept 26

The media reported the forensic link on Mon Sept 29.

As discussed ad infinitum in this thread and others, the forensic link doesn't have to be DNA. Seems to me link other types of forensic links wouldn't take as long to process as DNA. Wed, Thurs, or Fri until Mon would probably be long enough to establish such a link, if it was not DNA.

Plus, I believe if the link was DNA, they'd have also said that JM is connected to Fairfax. They weren't shy about saying he was connected to MH, via whatever that forensic link is.

The inside of that cab may be a mess. Just think. :thinking:

Imo.

I really, really, REALLY want to know where they found the cab.

BBM/ http://www.newsplex.com/home/headlines/278705251.html

Jamicat, Can you tell us why you think (seem to be implying above) that they found the cab in "the south eastern portion of Albemarle County"? Is it just because that's where they were searching yesterday? What about the other, more distant areas they've also searched within the last 2 weeks (since the cab was found)?

I, too, really really want to know where they found the cab. And whether it had been abandoned there since MH disappeared, or whether it's been used recently. And whether JM has owned it all this time. I mean, maybe he sold it to the farm owner years ago... which obviously would lessen the possibility of usable evidence being found in it. Argh. I wish we knew more!

I live in a different state. Had never heard of Morgan.

And there have been a couple of small articles about Hannah in the paper.

I have not received any alerts about her on my FB from anyone

If JM owned the cab, is that why he had a D/B/A set up in 2010 at the Ponderosa Trail address?

"Inaccurate information was released today by certain media outlets citing unnamed "sources" regarding the Morgan Harrington investigation. Jesse L. Matthew Jr. was never interviewed in 2009 by state police in connection with the Morgan Harrington investigation.
Right now the disappearance and death of Morgan are the core focus of the Virginia State Police investigation. Release of information from anyone other than the Virginia State Police concerning this case is not official nor factually confirmed. The Harrington family and public deserve accurate representation of the facts of this case. State police will release new information at a time and in a manner that does not jeopardize the integrity of this ongoing, complex criminal investigation."
https://www.facebook.com/ParkSlaybaugh?fref=nf Parker Slaybaugh 8News

"Inaccurate information was released today by certain media outlets citing unnamed "sources" regarding the Morgan Harrington investigation. Jesse L. Matthew Jr. was never interviewed in 2009 by state police in connection with the Morgan Harrington investigation.
Right now the disappearance and death of Morgan are the core focus of the Virginia State Police investigation. Release of information from anyone other than the Virginia State Police concerning this case is not official nor factually confirmed. The Harrington family and public deserve accurate representation of the facts of this case. State police will release new information at a time and in a manner that does not jeopardize the integrity of this ongoing, complex criminal investigation."
https://www.facebook.com/ParkSlaybaugh?fref=nf Parker Slaybaugh 8News

What the VSP release says is that Jesse Matthew was not interviewed by Virginia State Police in 2009. It does not say he was not interviewed by another law enforcement agency, and there were a number of other agencies working the Morgan Harrington case, including FBI, Charlottesville Police, and others.

Personally, I sincerely doubt that these leaks are coming from the Harringtons. They have show a lot of patience so far.

Thanks.

Bill Thomas

With the amount of leaks that are coming from the prosecution/LE's side, I hope we don't hear them complaining when the defense requests a change of venue.

I can't think of too many cases that continue to have new information coming out on the regular after the suspect is charged.

JLM has only been charged in connection to HG's disappearance: "abduction with intent to defile."

No charges have been filed to date re: MH, Fairfax rape, and possible others.

That said, imo LE has leaked / released very little info regarding the investigation(s) and evidence collected — even Camblos (JLM's lawyer) has yet to see what LE actually has on him.

Aside from not wanting to imperil their investigations and legal case, LE may be playing things close to their vests due to possibility of other associates and/or victims.

At the same time, releasing info about the forensic link to MH and the cab retrieval seems calibrated toward getting more witnesses / the general public to come forward with any related info that may have been previously overlooked / deemed inconsequential.

............................................................................................................................

Only my opinion.......

I think the key to this cab was the fact it was a VAN, lite brown in color. I read somewhere someone saw MH getting into a VAN. Can't remember where but it was today.
It was a witness that came forward back when she went missing.

I followed Morgan's case back then, and I recall hearing this as well.

I followed Morgan's case back then, and I recall hearing this as well.

I didn't remember this. Wasn't there a witness that saw Morgan walking on a bridge?

Listening to HLN this am and they stated Morgan's friends saw her get into a cab. Weren't here friends in the stadium during the concert when Morgan left. I still wish we knew why she left the stadium.

I agree.
(Unfortunately) the coverage of HG is much more intense there in the C-ville/Mid-Atlantic area than elsewhere. And yes, the case hit nat'l and even int'l news (if Daily Mail is considered such) for a quick time. But it was fleeting and it's not being followed where I live. I follow MH and HG b/c I'm from C-ville and went to UVa, so a deeper personal connection for me. But I live many states away now and very very few of my friends here even know of the case I'm referring to when I've mentioned HG. The response I get is 99% "Oh.....yeah, I think I may have read something about that once. That sounds vaguely familiar"

I do personally think these cases are done by same perp, and if it turns out they are (and that busts open), then the media will be over it much more. Serial killer stories grow legs quicker.

Yes, it absolutely possible to retrieve DNA after 5 years. The FBI lab in Quantico is looking for DNA in my sister Cathy and her friend Rebecca Dowski's case asp part of the Colonial Parkway Murders and that will be 28 years on October 10, 2014.

Thanks.

Bill Thomas

Since LE now has the van cab that JM was driving on the night MH went missing, they are sure to scour it for any trace evidence of Morgan--and perhaps other missing women in that area. Then, they will perform a Luminol test in order to check for traces of blood. I am including a link about Luminol testing--and how it can detect blood even in soil, for at least 6 years afterward.

My belief is that since LE has not found HG's body, they are proceeding to build their case against JM for Morgan's murder. JM will never walk the streets again. His time of raping and murdering women has ended. Thank God!

http://www.acsr.org.php5-19.dfw1-1....loads/2011/08/Gabel-Shimamoto-Stene-Adair.pdf

I didn't remember this. Wasn't there a witness that saw Morgan walking on a bridge?

Listening to HLN this am and they stated Morgan's friends saw her get into a cab. Weren't here friends in the stadium during the concert when Morgan left. I still wish we knew why she left the stadium.

http://www.readthehook.com/88650/hes-still-here-and-other-revelations-harrington-case
I read the above linked article concerning the last sightings of Morgan-don't know if the "facts" still hold up, but there is a lot of detail

Actually, from what I remember, a witness in a car saw MH and three males get into the van on the bridge that night. The witness was on her cell phone with a friend when she recalled seeing Morgan teasingly shaking her leg and laughing with the males around her. The witness said Morgan's behavior caught her attention because of her actions. Witness thought she was inebriated and acting "inappropriately" by lifting her leg like that. The witness recalled Morgan's boots, and mentioned the scene she was witnessing to her friend on the cell phone.

As for Morgan's friends, they never saw Morgan again after she left for the restroom. They stayed behind in the stadium.

Aargh... :facepalm: directed at HLN. Unless I've been braindead, no, this is not accurate information from HLN (how did they come up with this?). Her friends were definitely in the stadium when she was abducted. That's like the entire basic storyline of MH's disappearance- that she found herself outside the stadium without her friends and wasn't allowed back inside due to JPJ rules about re-entry, and then said she'd find a ride back on her own.

I'm starting to get annoyed by info being released. Everything seems to be getting garbled ever since the press releases stopped from Longo. Just goes to show how important the pressers are in terms of being able to stick to accurate info.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hernak