JLM: Other Possible Victims - #2

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
There is a stigma attached to rape victims in America too...
Most are victim blamed, and very few rapists spend any time behind bars.
Our culture is not much different.

Actually it is very, very different.

We have sexual assault and rape crisis lines, we have rape counseling centers, we have many professionals trained to support victims of rape. We have safe houses where women who have been assaulted can go, we have health care providers trained to be sexual assault teams who work in hospitals and support women who come in. We have courts that on a daily basis send sexual assault offenders to jail, we have a sexual offender registry, we have jails full of rapists. We have funding and research dedicated to sexual assault victims and crimes, we have networks of resources and services that can be offered to victims. We have many people in this country who do not blame their family / friend for being assaulted and support them through it. Does every victim get the support they need, no. Does every rapist go to jail, no. But to say that most victims are blamed and that few rapists go to jail and that our cultural approach is similar to other countries defies logic, reason or evidence.

We have sexual assault and rape crisis lines, we have rape counseling centers, we have many professionals trained to support victims of rape. We have safe houses where women who have been assaulted can go, we have health care providers trained to be sexual assault teams who work in hospitals and support women who come in. We have courts that on a daily basis send sexual assault offenders to jail, we have a sexual offender registry, we have jails full of rapists. We have funding and research dedicated to sexual assault victims and crimes, we have networks of resources and services that can be offered to victims. We have many people in this country who do not blame their family / friend for being assaulted and support them through it. Does every victim get the support they need, no. Does every rapist go to jail, no. But to say that most victims are blamed and that few rapists go to jail and that our cultural approach is similar to other countries defies logic, reason or evidence.

I agree with you wholeheartedly. There are injustices that occur here in this country (as everywhere), and I am frankly deeply troubled about the rash of alleged sexual assaults involving (particularly) our youth, especially on campuses and in the military. But to equate our treatment of women and women's rights with that of countries such as Pakistan is ludicrous. "Honor killings" and female genital mutilation are certainly not sanctioned by most people I know.

Only a microscopic amount of rapes are even reported. What about legitimate rape and all of the sports entitlement rape and all of the thousands of rape kits sitting on shelves?

Read aboout Steubenville. It hardly matters if you are raped in Pakistan or the US when a group such as Anonymous fights to bring something like that into the open.

And how about football?

Only a microscopic amount of rapes are even reported. What about legitimate rape and all of the sports entitlement rape and all of the thousands of rape kits sitting on shelves?

Read aboout Steubenville. It hardly matters if you are raped in Pakistan or the US when a group such as Anonymous fights to bring something like that into the open.

And how about football?

You are caught up on specific injustices, of course those exist. None of those speak to the big cultural picture and show a complete lack of understanding of how women and rape are treated in other countries. That fact that there are rape kits sitting on shelves - do you really think most women raped in Pakistan can just go to the hospital and have a rape kit down by a sexual assault team? In Steubenville, the juveniles were arrested, charged and found guilty, adults who were indirectly involved have been indicted. Do you really think all that would happen in Pakistan over the rape of one young girl?

I am not sure what you mean by microscopic? Are rapes and sexual assaults underreported - absolutely. There are very few current accurate research stats on incidence. we don't actually know how underreported it is. the methodology is deeply flawed and inconsistent. Microscopic typically indicates an extremely small percent and that is not accurate. A more accurate estimate is that about half of assaults are unreported.

To say that you are treated here as you would be in Pakistan or other cultures simply shows a total lack of comprehension and is pretty much a slap in the face to the women in those countries.

You are caught up on specific injustices, of course those exist. None of those speak to the big cultural picture and show a complete lack of understanding of how women and rape are treated in other countries. That fact that there are rape kits sitting on shelves - do you really think most women raped in Pakistan can just go to the hospital and have a rape kit down by a sexual assault team? In Steubenville, the juveniles were arrested, charged and found guilty, adults who were indirectly involved have been indicted. Do you really think all that would happen in Pakistan over the rape of one young girl?

I am not sure what you mean by microscopic? Are rapes and sexual assaults underreported - absolutely. There are very few current accurate research stats on incidence. we don't actually know how underreported it is. the methodology is deeply flawed and inconsistent. Microscopic typically indicates an extremely small percent and that is not accurate. A more accurate estimate is that about half of assaults are unreported.

To say that you are treated here as you would be in Pakistan or other cultures simply shows a total lack of comprehension and is pretty much a slap in the face to the women in those countries.

Really? have you been there? I see things posted to my FB of men and women physically attacking rapists right on the street.

97% will not serve time in jail. Not bad for America.
https://www.rainn.org/statistics

If anyone followed Steubenville, the fight was by anonymous and it was ugly.

And how about, "Legitimate rape?"

I forget what other comments have been made about rape have been made by prominemt people.

It has been a shocking eye opener

There are a number of rapes that occur that cannot be successfully prosecuted. If it comes down to he says, she says, and there is no evidence to support either then our court system is set up, as it is in all such cases, to rule in the favor of the accused due to presumed innocence., I support that. What I do not support and wish would be changed is the stigma that goes with reporting a rape. Even if the case is not a viable one for the courts, we should encourage all victims to report it so that it is on record. Though the LIbery University woman who accused JM of rape did not get her case on the court docket, that she did report it, that it did go on record, is a very useful piece of information much later on. That there is a report at CNU for other sexual misconduct starts making it a pattern. Though much is assailed about how colleges handle these sort of situations, at least they are on record. Sadly, this often does not happen in every day life. A woman could wake up from night of having been violated., have gone a distance with someone that makes a rape conviction virtually impossible, and she won't report it anywhere. I don't believe for a moment that JM does not have other victims. Hopefully, they simply did not report what happened, and are not dead out there.

Just a crazy thought about setting up the Command Center in Walnut Creek Park....wonder if there is a DNA match on the test that RAT's lawyer requested? If so, maybe RAT gave up the body location he is holding in exchange for a reduced sentence? Was that why they went there in the first place, and why they're sticking around?

There are a number of rapes that occur that cannot be successfully prosecuted. If it comes down to he says, she says, and there is no evidence to support either then our court system is set up, as it is in all such cases, to rule in the favor of the accused due to presumed innocence., I support that. What I do not support and wish would be changed is the stigma that goes with reporting a rape. Even if the case is not a viable one for the courts, we should encourage all victims to report it so that it is on record. Though the LIbery University woman who accused JM of rape did not get her case on the court docket, that she did report it, that it did go on record, is a very useful piece of information much later on. That there is a report at CNU for other sexual misconduct starts making it a pattern. Though much is assailed about how colleges handle these sort of situations, at least they are on record. Sadly, this often does not happen in every day life. A woman could wake up from night of having been violated., have gone a distance with someone that makes a rape conviction virtually impossible, and she won't report it anywhere. I don't believe for a moment that JM does not have other victims. Hopefully, they simply did not report what happened, and are not dead out there.

A very frustrating aspect that I have seen online is people who make the claim that any rape case 1) that does not go to trial or 2) that results in an acquittal is a "false" rape accusation. Again and again, I see (online) men using this "fact" as evidence that women are liars who make up rape claims. It is so frustrating because for some reason, as a culture we have no problem accepting the veracity of a person making a robbery or battery claim but when it comes to rape then it suddenly becomes a "he said, she said" case. I just don't see any other crime that, as a culture, we make the assumption that the victim in all likelihood is lying or did something to encourage their own assault. Until we stop treating rape victims as likely liars or complicit in their own assault, things aren't going to change reporting-wise. And I totally agree with you, reporting rape is incredibly important because it documents a pattern of behavior that LE can use to track and, ultimately, convict these predators.

No. It's not. One's culture's way of tolerating rape is very different from another culture's. But they both tolerate rape. It all comes from them same misogynistic place. Some culture's just like to tell themselves that they are more civilized than others and that's just a blatant lie. Of the women I personally know who have been raped, not one resulted in a conviction. Not a single one.

Do we know if Cassandra Morton had a shirt when she was found?

I think it is possible that he has other unknown victims, but I am far from convinced that he has 15+...20+ murder victims. Studies have shown that the number of serial killers has gone down in the past decade because of advancements in forensics. If you look at the lists of prolific serial killers, the ones that with those high body counts are from decades ago. Morgan and Hannah went missing in similar circumstances and have the same general look, so I don't know how likely it is that he is killing other women who look completely different or went missing under different circumstances.

http://www.wsls.com/story/20847880/central-virginias-unsolved-homicides

Travis Murphy, Nov. 10, 2002

The door to room 233 of the Travelodge on Main Street in Lynchburg had been left open on Nov. 10, 2002.

A hotel guest walking past the room around 1:30 a.m. noticed a man’s leg sticking out of the bathroom. Travis Jerome Murphy, 22, of Rocky Mount, N.C., had been shot to death.

Murphy had been working for a construction firm in Madison Heights until he was arrested by Amherst County deputies for receiving stolen property. He had been released from jail the day before.

He was last seen walking down U.S. 29 toward Lynchburg, at the Kemper Street bus station, at a Park Avenue barber, and at River Ridge mall. After he took a cab to the Travelodge, the trail goes cold.

The motive for the murder remains unclear.

To date, there has not been enough evidence developed to connect anyone to Murphy’s homicide.

Just a crazy thought about setting up the Command Center in Walnut Creek Park....wonder if there is a DNA match on the test that RAT's lawyer requested? If so, maybe RAT gave up the body location he is holding in exchange for a reduced sentence? Was that why they went there in the first place, and why they're sticking around?

I'm not sure I follow you - are you suggesting that this may be Alexis Murphy's remains that were found? If so, the only thing that doesn't jive (for me) is that the person who found the remains described finding tight black pants with the remains. If you look at images of AM the day she disappeared - her pants have a distinct pattern on them - I'm not sure they could be described as "black" regardless of how little one might know about fashion. Also, all subsequent searches for Hannah have been called off - even if they wanted searchers to avoid Walnut Creek Park due to the current ongoing investigation, why not relocate the search to another area?

Interesting about the dark green Dodge Intrepid being an auto of interest in the Childs/Metzer case. Jesse's car is a Chrysler, but could pass for a Dodge and it looks like it's been re-painted and modified. (a bit pimped up)

Wonder if there is any green paint to be found somewhere under that orange?

Of course, the DNA will be the determinant if JLM is involved. And....LE isn't revealing whether they have a match with JLM at this time.

I remember reading right around the time the MH/Fairfax rape JM connection was made that LE was looking into specific other cases, and this one was named in one article I read. I wonder if they found a rifle/gun when they searched his car or apartment. May or may not mean anything as he appears to have been a fisherman and would likely have hunted as well, but maybe they figured "Hey, we got a gun. Let's check the ballistics against known local gun deaths."

I remember reading right around the time the MH/Fairfax rape JM connection was made that LE was looking into specific other cases, and this one was named in one article I read. I wonder if they found a rifle/gun when they searched his car or apartment. May or may not mean anything as he appears to have been a fisherman and would likely have hunted as well, but maybe they figured "Hey, we got a gun. Let's check the ballistics against known local gun deaths."

There are other cases from the area that fit a pattern of this crime. So that is possible.

Re: Cassandra Morton:
This paragraph stood out to me!!!
"...Some evidence had seemed promising. Officers tried, but were unable, to link Morton’s clothes to a fabric impression in a 1996 Chrysler sedan owned by an acquaintance which authorities impounded in January 2010.

They believe Morton’s remains likely were taken to the mountain after she died, but they have been unable to determine a primary crime scene..."

(Hummm another late 90's Chrysler Sedan.)

http://www.newsadvance.com/news/loc...cle_d055b33e-9f41-5143-918b-283e6fbc9cfe.html

Jesse Matthew's car impounded in regard to this case was a 1998.

http://wtvr.com/2014/09/21/arrest-warrant-issued-for-jesse-matthew-in-hannah-graham-mystery/

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Clue Keeper
Back