JLM: Other Possible Victims

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Has anyone mentioned Heidi Childs and David Metzler (unsolved murders)? Heidi had a similar look to HG and MH and they were also UVA students and found in the area on Aug. 26, 2009.

Someone brought David up very early on. Hoping he wasn't trying to protect Heidi from JM. :( I'll have to go look into those some more. Didn't realize they were found the same day as each other!

Quick reference on both: http://www.wsls.com/story/20856445/heidi-childs-dad-says-dna-evidence-is-huge

And August. Wow.

EDIT: These two were VT students. I recall something earlier about a Charlottesville police car being seen at VT during the days of the search for JM/evidence.

Further, there is a David from UVA who is missing and never solved. I don't believe it's this David. That's the one being discussed earlier.

Re: Other possible victims of JLM - I have frightening images of him assaulting drugged or unconscious patients in locked elevators or late at night in their rooms. He worked in the hospital and nursing homes... and I have read of orderlies doing this in other places.

The gates are open for people to come forward now that his DNA has been tied to three victims...or more.

RE: Heidi Childs. LE says it has DNA. I saw a forensic files where just by analyzing the DNA, they were able to determine that the suspect had light-colored eyes. Anyone out there know if they could tell if the suspect was black or not? It seems like if they can determine eye color, then they could determine race, but I know nothing about this beyond that forensic files episode.

OMG I hope there is closure for the Harringtons!! Crying at the possibility that her killer might finally face some kind of justice.

<modsnip> Any man of normal strength could carry a 120 pound woman out to a field. It may be a bit exhausting, but they could do it.

<modsnip> We try to take everyones input and solve these cases.
A dead body weighs more!

<modsnip>We try to take everyones input and solve these cases.
A dead body weighs more!

I was not responding to anyone on the board, but rather the assumption at the time Harrington's body was found that is must have been two men, because only two men could possibly move a 120 pound woman.

And unless I have a horrible memory of my science classes, then a dead body does not weigh any more than a live one. I cannot fathom how that would even work.

120 pounds is nothing for this guy. I played football at that level, too. Defensive Lineman are the strongest guys on the field. Not even close.

Re: Other possible victims of JLM - I have frightening images of him assaulting drugged or unconscious patients in locked elevators or late at night in their rooms. He worked in the hospital and nursing homes... and I have read of orderlies doing this in other places.

The gates are open for people to come forward now that his DNA has been tied to three victims...or more.

Is it actually DNA that ties 3 victims? I have read the reports today that say that "forensics" tie him to MH and "forensics" tie MH to the 2005 victim but I have seen nothing thus far that all 3 are linked by DNA. Forensics could be a lot of things including fibers, soil, metals, etc.

Please provide links rather than assumptions - it would truly aid in sleuthing this case.

Thanks.

:cow:

120 pounds is nothing for this guy. I played football at that level, too. Defensive Lineman are the strongest guys on the field. Not even close.

I am a female and I regularly carry 50 pound sacks of feed. I do not lift weights or anything and I can carry those sacks. I would guess that an average man has at least four times the upper body strength that I do.

In college I weighed 135 pounds and my boyfriend at the time liked to pick me up and swing me over his shoulder and twirl me around.

I am just baffled how anyone can reach the conclusion that one man could not have carried a 120 pound load, defensive lineman or not.

California's new law, totally redefines how we think about "consensual."

http://www.npr.org/blogs/thetwo-way...cts-yes-means-yes-law-defining-sexual-consent

I think pressuring a victim of sexual assault not to pursue the matter ought to be a crime. It is ridiculous how many rapists (especially in colleges or military) get off because someone pressured the victim to drop it. I am going to write my rep in the state legislature this week and ask for a new law to be written. Women deserve better. If the alleged rapist is innocent, then the legal system, and not some jerk college admin or military CO can deal with it.

No one should ever be allowed to talk a rape victim into dropping the charges, period.

OR How do we know he didn't force her to walk there herself? People act like that's not a possibility for some reason, but I think it's very possible.

^ this +++

IMO it would be consistent with his controlling, aggressive personality.

RE: Heidi Childs. LE says it has DNA. I saw a forensic files where just by analyzing the DNA, they were able to determine that the suspect had light-colored eyes. Anyone out there know if they could tell if the suspect was black or not? It seems like if they can determine eye color, then they could determine race, but I know nothing about this beyond that forensic files episode.

Yes they can tell race plus a whole bunch of other things, like for example your propensity to develop certain cancers, and what your MAOA gene on the X chromosome looks like, which is a marker for sociopathy. This level of analysis costs money though and forensics labs don't have money to burn, as evidenced by the huge backlog of rape kit testing mentioned above. Looking at race and probably eye color seems like a good use of forensic money in cases like MH's though, because the likelihood to reoffend is so high.

Instead of spending $800 million prosecuting the next Gary Ridgeway, what would it take to get long-term dedicated funding for preventative criminology, like a real missing persons database and fast forensics testing? Drives me nuts.

California's new law, totally redefines how we think about "consensual."

http://www.npr.org/blogs/thetwo-way...cts-yes-means-yes-law-defining-sexual-consent

Do not want to get OT, but since it is relevant to this case, I just think that no matter what the law is on rape in a specific case, a college has no business investigating it, interviewing witnesses, etc. It is purely a police matter and should be handled as such. The moment a rape is reported on campus, then the police (not campus police) need to be called.

I wonder if Morgan and (sadly I think) Hannah would be alive today if that were the procedure.

Is it actually DNA that ties 3 victims? I have read the reports today that say that "forensics" tie him to MH and "forensics" tie MH to the 2005 victim but I have seen nothing thus far that all 3 are linked by DNA. Forensics could be a lot of things including fibers, soil, metals, etc.

Please provide links rather than assumptions - it would truly aid in sleuthing this case.

Thanks.

MH -> Fairfax victim

Spooked, the suspect fled, leaving behind crucial DNA evidence in the blood and skin under his victim's fingernails.
This DNA connected the attacker to the[sic] , who disappeared during an October 2009 Metallica concert at the John Paul Jones Arena in Charlottesville. But after over five years of feeding that skin and blood evidence through state and national DNA databases, police have yet to find an exact match.
According to the FBI, DNA evidence linked the Harrington case to a 2005 sexual assault in Fairfax City.

JLM-> HG

"Last week, the arrest of Jesse L. Matthew Jr., 32, of Charlottesville, Va., provided a significant break in this case with a new forensic link for state police investigators to pursue. There is a still a great deal of work to be done in regards to this investigation and we appreciate the public&#8217;s patience as we move forward."

Geller declined to comment beyond her statement, but a law enforcement source with knowledge of the investigation confirmed to The Times-Dispatch that the DNA was a match.

http://patch.com/virginia/fairfaxci...a-fairfax-rape-and-mor84c9a34d12#.VCm-AxZWXKc

http://m.timesdispatch.com/news/sta...a06-40f1-54cb-82a9-ff393f930b89.html?mode=jqm

No official confirmation that DNA is the link between JLM and HG, so that remains to be seen.

Please continue discussing MH and the Fairfax victim in the appropriate thread linked here.
JLM: Morgan Harrington/Fairfax Rape Victim - *Forensic Link* to MH

Yes they can tell race plus a whole bunch of other things, like for example your propensity to develop certain cancers, and what your MAOA gene on the X chromosome looks like, which is a marker for sociopathy. This level of analysis costs money though and forensics labs don't have money to burn, as evidenced by the huge backlog of rape kit testing mentioned above. Looking at race and probably eye color seems like a good use of forensic money in cases like MH's though, because the likelihood to reoffend is so high.

Instead of spending $800 million prosecuting the next Gary Ridgeway, what would it take to get long-term dedicated funding for preventative criminology, like a real missing persons database and fast forensics testing? Drives me nuts.

Personally I find it to be negligence on the part of the state. If local police departments cannot process evidence in a reasonable amount of time, then the state needs to fund it.

I mean think about Heidi Childs. I just have one simple question at this point: are they looking for a black man or not?

I also want a nationwide missing person's database with algorithms. We need to be able to spot unusual clusters when they are happening, not afterwards!

Is any of this really that hard or unreasonable? Do they not care because most victims of this kinds of crimes are women, and large number of those women are prostitutes and runways?

I was not responding to anyone on the board, but rather the assumption at the time Harrington's body was found that is must have been two men, because only two men could possibly move a 120 pound woman.

And unless I have a horrible memory of my science classes, then a dead body does not weigh any more than a live one. I cannot fathom how that would even work.

Surely a dead body and a live body weigh the same but "dead weight" is a relative term, as I understand, referring to the rather uncooperative bulk of an unresponsive person flopping around and , how can I say this; flowing like water, as opposed to the rather rigid mass of a conscious person. Much like carrying 100 gallons of water in a balloon as opposed to 100 gallons in a box.

Not seeing anything relative on that link other than the title?

I agree.

Do not want to get OT, but since it is relevant to this case, I just think that no matter what the law is on rape in a specific case, a college has no business investigating it, interviewing witnesses, etc. It is purely a police matter and should be handled as such. The moment a rape is reported on campus, then the police (not campus police) need to be called.

I wonder if Morgan and (sadly I think) Hannah would be alive today if that were the procedure.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
alicat3