JLM: Psych Thread - Professional and Non-Professional Opinions/Theories

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
A poster, Spicer2000 (who went to high school with JM), said that JM asked a girl to prom and she turned him down. And Spicer said JM cried. My assumption from that is that JM did not have a girlfriend at least at the time of prom. Him crying has always stuck with me. I truly believe, and not just based on that one comment, that JM had major insecurities and never "got the girl", and that this resentment built up and contributed to his aggression towards women starting in college. No idea though if he had other girlfriends in high school. My personal opinion is that he did not, based on this story and others that he was kind of bumbling around the girls. Good question around any girlfriends in college...

I didn't put much weight in what Spicer had to say, just sounded disingenuous to me, and here to pretty much defend him, and somewhat misleading on facts that had already been established about him.

Agree with all the supporting comments that there was a mental factor in JLM development.

I don't believe that he was a normal person facing normal social issues and thus turned against the world.

To me this is a story about a boy that had mental deficiencies. From where did they come from, who knows.

Genetic inheritance, Alcoholism, Football Injuries, Depression ... it doesn't really matter because

You may find it interesting to read about how the "father's chemical exposure may influence the development of the embryo. http://fasalaska.com/DadsBirthDefects.html I don't know how much weight to place on it but there is some evidence of a plausible explanation of JLM's .

It seems he was moved along with his peers with addressing the issues and he went to college to live independently on his own.

What did that do for him but to reassure all invovled that they successfully raised a young man to find his way in the world and make him feel normal that he was with his peers. He knows he has behaved like an animal but I don't believe he understands why he became that way. He probably hopes that he can go back home some day.

I did not intend to break the flow of words with a link, that was meat to be at the bottom. The link is a just an example, I suggest reviewing other links on how alcoholism can effect a child's development mental or physical.

JLM's mom had a reason to divorce, to protect herself and children. JLM's father has a record. Can we not suggest the JLM has a strong potential to be influenced by this in a physical way that the parents knew about. When they helped JLM to arrive at the police station it showed a strong support for their son. I believe they are aware that JLM has some issues but did not expect him to have arrived at rape/assault/murder.

The Charlottesville Rapist was arrested in 2007, after raping for (at least) 10 years. So some of those 2004-2007 numbers are definitively his. He was linked to seven by DNA in those 10 years (1997-2007). Since then, none are as he's in jail. http://www.readthehook.com/86185/co...irst-known-attack-serial-rape-suspect-custody

I know more women report rape now than they did in the 1990's or 1980's or earlier, but I wouldn't expect a statistically significant jump in reporting to account for a jump from 17 to 35 (doubled) in 11 years. Virginia's population has increased in that time, too, but not doubled.

Interesting point, I was wondering what C'ville would do in response to JLM's events and from your comment about an event in 2007 there is still much work to do to bring the crime rate below the top 15% of the US.

It seems the C"ville did some work to improve the looks of downtown so that it has appearance of a safe town based on this commentary on city-data in 2010. http://www.city-data.com/forum/charlottesville/875403-how-bad-crime-charlottesville.html

More needs to be done.

Your comment also leads to the question of collaboration with other sex offenders in the C'ville area. If someone saw JLM make is attempts on women could they have offered him some help by selling him the tools ? then he took it on his own ?

The rape incident is still high, double the national average.

Interesting point, I was wondering what C'ville would do in response to JLM's events and from your comment about an event in 2007 there is still much work to do to bring the crime rate below the top 15% of the US.

It seems the C"ville did some work to improve the looks of downtown so that it has appearance of a safe town based on this commentary on city-data in 2010. http://www.city-data.com/forum/charlottesville/875403-how-bad-crime-charlottesville.html

More needs to be done.

Your comment also leads to the question of collaboration with other sex offenders in the C'ville area. If someone saw JLM make is attempts on women could they have offered him some help by selling him the tools ? then he took it on his own ?

The rape incident is still high, double the national average.

Fwiw: I have lived in places all around this country, and internationally....and I have said for years that there is something odd about Cville. From all the places I have ever lived it was honestly the biggest culture shock I've experienced...and though I could point to a few small examples, I could never put my finger on why.

I thought this might make an interesting addition to this thread:
A genetic analysis of almost 900 offenders in Finland has revealed two genes associated with violent crime.

Those with the genes were 13 times more likely to have a history of repeated violent behaviour.

The authors of the study, published in the journal Molecular Psychiatry, said at least 5-10% of all violent crime in Finland could be attributed to individuals with these genotypes. ...

Many more genes may be involved in violent behaviour and environmental factors are also known to have a fundamental role.
http://www.bbc.com/news/science-environment-29760212

FWIW, I think genetics can play a role in how we behave, but we still have free will and the ability to choose our actions. So I don't think this is a "get out of jail free" card any more than it is a "lock up everyone with these genes" card. But if children are screened and show up with these genes, perhaps they can get early intervention and their parents can get guidance so that they grow up to be one of the non-violent folks in the general population instead of a serial violent offender in prison.

If JLM is found to be a serial killer, I would not be surprised to find he has these genetic markers. I also wouldn't be surprised if further research linked them to violent psychopathy.

Fwiw: I have lived in places all around this country, and internationally....and I have said for years that there is something odd about Cville. From all the places I have ever lived it was honestly the biggest culture shock I've experienced...and though I could point to a few small examples, I could never put my finger on why.

I wonder why certain areas seem to draw in these kinds of people. Like back in the 1970s and 1980s, Washington state and California seemed to have a TON of serial killers and serial rapists, and Santa Cruz had a reputation as the "murder capital of the world." I've seen London, Ontario in Canada described the same way, and now Charlottesville.

I can see big cities like New York and Chicago (and suburbs of those big cities like Gary, Ind.) having high crime rates because of the large population, but it's very strange to me that places like Santa Cruz (with a population between 32,000 and 41,000 in the 1970-1980 period, when it had Kemper, Mullin, Frazier and Carpenter) and Charlottesville, with a current population of about ~45,000, seem to have disproportionately high violent crime rates and serial crime rates. (Looks like there may have been at least three serial offenders in the 2000s, if we include JLM — him, RAT, and the serial rapist.)

Prickly Pear wrote: "(Looks like there may have been at least three serial offenders in the 2000s, if we include JLM — him, RAT, and the serial rapist.)"

Don't forget 1990s when women were terrorized by the Hwy 29 Stalker. Several women disappeared or were attacked.
http://news.fredericksburg.com/just...ring-of-unsolved-cases-involving-young-women/

Darrell Rice was identified as the Hwy 29 Stalker - released from jail to a halfway house midway through 2006, and completely released in 2007. http://www.crimezzz.net/serialkiller_news/R/RICE_darrell_david.php
http://www.readthehook.com/94820/cover-after-rice-new-questions-park-murders.

No one (except possibly law enforcement) knows where he is. He was reputed to be in Durango, Colorado, but hasn't surfaced yet. He was not registered as a sexual offender as he was required to do wherever he goes. http://durangoherald.com/article/20...ce-ask-for-calm-over-rumors-about-ex-prisoner

There was also rapist and murderer Richard Evonitz operating in the area about the time as the Hwy 29 stalker. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Richard_Evonitz

The 1980s saw a number of killings along the Colonial Parkway.

Tlcya, I honor and respect your opinion.. Nine years ago the fairfax, VA rape victim was severely beaten and likely would have been deceased if not for the passerby/neighbor. JM was obviously interrupted before his deed was done, imo. Four years later MH suffered not only a brutal rape, and murder, but also broken bones. We are not privy to how long HG was in captivity, or what was discovered at the crime scene/body disposal location that likely painted a very clear portrait for investigators of the inhumane acts that she suffered....The abandoned property/safe haven; cottage contents will speak volumes, imo..
My opinion is also based on a personal life experience researching and backtracking a sadistic sexual predator/serial killer for the past seven years.. Although the sadistic SP/SK that I am referring to was active for four decades <according to him>, and twice JM's age, their escalation, MO, and traits are synonymous, imo...

I think the Fairfax victim would still have lived even if no one walked by. I think JM assumed he choked her to death when really she had just lost consciousness. I don't even think it is a fact that someone walked by. The way I read it is police think someone walked by. If someone did in fact walk by and scare JM then that person obviously did not see the girl or JM because the girl awoke and JM was gone so she picked up some of her groceries and went to the nearest condo for help. If the passerby would have saw her he would have helped her. Was the Fairfax victim severely beaten? I read her face was just bloody and she had bruises on her neck from the choking. Also MH bones may have been broken due to vultures.

I think the Fairfax victim would still have lived even if no one walked by. I think JM assumed he choked her to death when really she had just lost consciousness. I don't even think it is a fact that someone walked by. The way I read it is police think someone walked by. If someone did in fact walk by and scare JM then that person obviously did not see the girl or JM because the girl awoke and JM was gone so she picked up some of her groceries and went to the nearest condo for help. If the passerby would have saw her he would have helped her. Was the Fairfax victim severely beaten? I read her face was just bloody and she had bruises on her neck from the choking. Also MH bones may have been broken due to vultures.

No way to prove it, but MH's parents said her ribs were broken. Vultures don't break ribs...they like tissue, meat, etc. I think her attacker broke bones....among other things.

Lawyer for Jesse Matthew reported to have asked for a psychiatric evaluation. Is it possible that this defense could work given his capacity to hold jobs and evade police?

I would think his wrestling and football coaches would be among some of the more influential. Which could mean JM saw reward in being physically aggressive. Clearly he mis-interpreted this rewarding behavior- and to the n'th degree- but just noting a possible connection of some sort.

his best friend's father was always there for him

why? i LOVE charlottesville... a bit uppity because it is Thomas Jefferson's home but as a naturalized American who has also lived in many places - including the wilds of New Guinea and metropolitan areas in Canada, it is one of the nicest places to live and raise your kids...

NBC29 retweeted

Nikki Burdine &#8207;@NikkiBurdine · 7m7 minutes ago
PICTURE: #JesseMatthew and his attorney via video arraignment @wusa9

B1R0mkRIQAAoBrX.jpg

https://twitter.com/NikkiBurdine/status/528175277730693121

Jesse Matthew appears in Fairfax on 2005 rape case

Posted: Oct 31, 2014 6:11 AM

Updated: Oct 31, 2014 6:11 AM

Matthew did not have to enter a plea during the Friday court date and stood emotionless as his charges were read. He will be back in court in two weeks to have a trial date set on the Fairfax case. The judge said he wants to have the trial relatively soon and doesn't want Charlottesville issues to impose on a speedy trial in Fairfax.

http://www.nbc12.com/story/27174196...-fairfax-on-2005-rape-case?clienttype=generic

Lawyer for Jesse Matthew reported to have asked for a psychiatric evaluation. Is it possible that this defense could work given his capacity to hold jobs and evade police?

I think, knowing what we know about him, it would be negligent for his attorney to NOT request a psychiatric evaluation. It doesn't necessarily mean his mental state will be a defense. And I personally think that anyone with the mental capacity to commit these crimes and successfully cover them up, in some cases for years, will undoubtedly be deemed competent to stand trial and doesn't have a real chance for an insanity plea to work. (Not to mention his mental awareness to flee and get all the way to Texas.)

Jeff Goldberg @jgoldbergABC7 · 44m 44 minutes ago

#JesseMatthew did speak in court: "I would prefer Mr. Camblos to be my attorney b/c I have formed a relationship w/ him in C'ville "

Jeff Goldberg @jgoldbergABC7 · 39m 39 minutes ago

Morrogh say the victim in the '05 case is not in the U.S., but will return for trial. Says she's relieved Hingis are moving forward.

Jeff Goldberg &#8207;@jgoldbergABC7 · 36m36 minutes ago
In court #JesseMatthew attorney Camblos wanted to deal w/ a motion regarding Matthew's sanity but Judge would not hear it.

Jeff Goldberg &#8207;@jgoldbergABC7 · 35m35 minutes ago
Morrogh says he expects #JesseMatthew to be in court for hearing two weeks from today.

https://twitter.com/jgoldbergABC7

Have you read any of the articles when they interview the neighbor who found her? (There should be a link in the Fairfax thread)....because the account I read from the neighbor is quite different from how you have presented the information here....she described a girl who was a mess, and very confused, who knocked on the wrong door because she upset and disoriented. From the neighbors accounts it doesn't really sound like she just woke up, stood up, gathered her things and headed to the neighbor...she in her disorientated and scared state did gather some of her groceries but not because she was thinking straight....anyway there is a whole thread for discussions regarding that case, if you want to learn more, there is lots of good info the. But yes it is my impression she was quite roughed up by him.

No way to prove it, but MH's parents said her ribs were broken. Vultures don't break ribs...they like tissue, meat, etc. I think her attacker broke bones....among other things.

I thought they could break them accidentally if they where jumping up and down on the body when they where feeding?

Not saying that it was the vultures who broke her ribs, its just I thought I read they could.

But I believe another poster mentioned the scientific reasons on how they would be able to determine if the bones had been broken pre or post death

I think, knowing what we know about him, it would be negligent for his attorney to NOT request a psychiatric evaluation. It doesn't necessarily mean his mental state will be a defense. And I personally think that anyone with the mental capacity to commit these crimes and successfully cover them up, in some cases for years will undoubtedly be deemed competent to stand trial. (Not to mention his mental awareness to flee and get all the way to Texas.)

Wonder which psychiatrist or psychologist they will have to do it?

The psychologist specializing in sexual offenders in Charlottesville for many years, Dr. Jeffrey Fracher has retired: http://www.drfracher.com/

Interview with Dr. Fracher about courts and insanity plea: http://www.dailyprogress.com/news/h...cle_8c9d7011-a5ef-5841-92c9-d9ff49b43aaa.html

Virginia laws for insanity are very stringent and Dr. Fracher describes those in the Daily Progress interview.

In the Coy Barefoot, Charlottesville journalist/author/professor, interview with Dr. Fracher, he discusses sexual offenders and notes that potential offenders can be identified early in life: http://insidecville.com/city/dr-jeffrey-fracher/

Addendum - Dr. Jennifer Rasmussen has taken over Dr. Fracher's practice. http://www.forensicevaluationservices.com/ Wonder if his lawyer will allow a female psychologist to work with his client since JM is a rapist and a person with violent and problematic history with women - or will JLM's attorney choose a male psychologist in Fairfax or one with the NIH or FBI?

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tabitha Darden 3
Back