JLM: What Do We Know About Him? - #2

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Has his Attorney been asked for comments regarding the finding?

True, but committing a sex assault in the first place, already demonstrated his aggression towards females, imo.

Exactly. He was aggressive and got "punished" for it, now he makes sure there are no witnesses.

Thank you! We are all interested in finding the truth, and your point about withholding judgment until trial when we can see all the facts is an excellent one. May I ask your opinion on something? I know from sources already documented that JM was seen as a loyal friend, a Gentle Ben of sorts, someone who was liked. There were the "I Love LJ" tee-shirts, for example. We know he had learning problems (doesn't mean he wasn't intelligent)--perhaps he even overheard the "Lenny" characterizations and laughed along with everyone else, (although that had to hurt.). Do you think he felt all the accolades from others but also deep-down, he felt the pity? ("Oh, yeah-there's LJ--sweet, lovable, awkward LJ...") Maybe he felt the crowd idolatry, but still felt rejected on a one-on-one basis, making him feel alone in the crowd. He had many friends, but it seems maybe no real close confidantes. Do you think that he felt like, "Oh, everybody loves LJ, but nobody really wants to spend time with him.". Maybe he tried to latch onto people, only to see them walk away with "other" friends.

No one wants to be pitied. Everyone wants to be accepted on the same level as everyone else. Sometimes there is a self-fulfilling prophecy --people behave as they are labeled: "Well, they call me Lenny, so I guess I must be the friend that everybody holds at a distance." I can see this perceived pity as causing a lot of resentment, and building rage. It may have contributed to his mindset later. (By the way, I am NOT trying to excuse JM's behavior. If he's the perp, and it appears that way, there is no justification. And no one created this..no one except JM.)

Do you feel comfortable sharing any insights?

I've been thinking a lot about this post over the weekend and there's a story that comes to mind. When he asked a girl to Homecoming and she turned him down (I'm sure she did it sweetly and kindly, as I remember this individual to also be a nice person), he cried. Perhaps this kind of rejection, coupled with a perceived sense of pity, led to anger and aggression down the line. On the other hand, this story can also demonstrate his sensitivity -- just as I remember hearing stories of him apologize to the opposing football team for tackling them. In this case, he didn't fly off the handle or threaten this girl -- he simply cried. I guess it's all in how you want to interpret it.

I've been thinking a lot about this post over the weekend and there's a story that comes to mind. When he asked a girl to Homecoming and she turned him down (I'm sure she did it sweetly and kindly, as I remember this individual to also be a nice person), he cried. Perhaps this kind of rejection, coupled with a perceived sense of pity, led to anger and aggression down the line. On the other hand, this story can also demonstrate his sensitivity -- just as I remember hearing stories of him apologize to the opposing football team for tackling them. In this case, he didn't fly off the handle or threaten this girl -- he simply cried. I guess it's all in how you want to interpret it.

Hey Glad you're back. Sorry to be a pest and all, but you wouldn't have happened to had the chance to ask if your friends were able to confirm if that rumor about him groping the cheerleader and getting kicked off the cheer leading team was true. From what I understand, his Mom moved closer to Monticello HS (4 miles from where the remains were found) and he attended the HS closer to home before she was divorced. My impression from you was that he was at Monticello HS throughout. Can you set me straight on some of this. I don't trust the press on this particular aspect and your confirmation of any of it would be great. You had said you would ask around, previously. Just wondering if you've had a chance to. I'm still kind of confused by your posts. Always double-edged info, sympathy, a bit of both. But you seem to know. Thank you, again.

Hey Glad you're back. Sorry to be a pest and all, but you wouldn't have happened to had the chance to ask if your friends were able to confirm if that rumor about him groping the cheerleader and getting kicked off the cheer leading team was true. From what I understand, his Mom moved closer to Monticello HS (4 miles from where the remains were found) and he attended the HS closer to home before she was divorced. My impression from you was that he was at Monticello HS throughout. Can you set me straight on some of this. I don't trust the press on this particular aspect and your confirmation of any of it would be great. You had said you would ask around, previously. Just wondering if you've had a chance to. I'm still kind of confused by your posts. Always double-edged info, sympathy, a bit of both. But you seem to know. Thank you, again.

No, he wasn't at Monticello HS throughout -- but that's because MHS didn't exist until 1998. Until then, students were split between Albemarle HS (where JM went) and Western Albemarle HS. JM was a student in the first full graduating class at MHS, which was a small class by local standards. That's why even those of us who were in different social groups still knew each other -- we were a small high school just starting out. Sorry for any confusion there. Sometimes I forget not everyone is a local :)

I've asked a few friends about whether that rumor is true. Haven't heard back from them yet.

No, he wasn't at Monticello HS throughout -- but that's because MHS didn't exist until 1998. Until then, students were split between Albemarle HS (where JM went) and Western Albemarle HS. JM was a student in the first full graduating class at MHS, which was a small class by local standards. That's why even those of us who were in different social groups still knew each other -- we were a small high school just starting out. Sorry for any confusion there. Sometimes I forget not everyone is a local :)

I've asked a few friends about whether that rumor is true. Haven't heard back from them yet.

Thank you, that's very helpful. Please let me know when you do get word. Much appreciate clearing that up. So it was just his senior yr at Mont. HS that he was co-captain of the football team, had the T-shirts made? He graduated in '81, about 3 yrs after Mont. HS opened it's doors. What year did he transfer? Were you with him at the previous school too?

Thank you, that's very helpful. Please let me know when you do get word. Much appreciate the clearing that up. So it was just his senior yr at Mont. HS that he was co-captain of the football team, had the T-shirts made? Were you with him at the previous school too?

Junior and Senior year were at MHS; Freshman/Sophomore at AHS. I don't even remember those t-shirts ever being made...so I'm no help to you on that one. I definitely don't remember them ever being worn around school... so maybe it was just for the football games (which I never went to)?

Yes, I went to both AHS and MHS with him.

Junior and Senior year were at MHS; Freshman/Sophomore at AHS. I don't even remember those t-shirts ever being made...so I'm no help to you on that one. I definitely don't remember them ever being worn around school... so maybe it was just for the football games (which I never went to)?

Thank you! So was he ever on the cheer leading team at all? I understand that you weren't in that circle of people and didn't bus with them to school, as you previously mentioned, but having been such a small group, well, I hope you have a chance to check on the groping rumor. You've been very helpful.

Thank you, that's very helpful. Please let me know when you do get word. Much appreciate the clearing that up. So it was just his senior yr at Mont. HS that he was co-captain of the football team, had the T-shirts made? He graduated in '81, about 3 yrs after Mont. HS opened it's doors. What year did he transfer? Were you with him at the previous school too?

That's incorrect. He graduated in 2000.

Thank you! So was he ever on the cheer leading team at all? I understand that you weren't in that circle of people and didn't bus with them to school, as you previously mentioned, but having been such a small group, well, I hope you have a chance to check on the groping rumor. You've been very helpful.

Ok, just heard back. The answer is decidedly "no." None of the cheerleaders ever heard any stories like that until just the past few weeks -- they have no idea where that rumor is coming from. He was definitely on the cheer team, but I don't know for how long or why he stopped cheering.

Great. So he was on cheer team, confirmed. Then not on cheer team. The rest about the groping just web rumor. But he went onto football and wrestling. Thank you! That's a great help. You're a doll.

Comment (# 49, Sept 29) concerning cheerleading ect. ect.. was from HFHG fb page.

Great. So he was on cheer team, confirmed. Then not on cheer team. The rest about the groping just web rumor. But he went onto football and wrestling. Thank you! That's a great help. You're a doll.

MO is that there was money/future in football...not so much in cheerleading. Both sports are the same season, so you have to choose one.

Repost dates of sex assaults..
rbbm.
http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/...of-on-campus-sexual-assault-in-2003/16556485/

NEWPORT NEWS, Va. — Jesse Leroy Matthew Jr., the man charged with abducting University of Virginia student Hannah Graham, was accused of an on-campus sexual assault at Christopher Newport University in 2003, the school confirmed Wednesday.

A few days later, Matthew, a defensive lineman, was no longer on the football team, according to the university. It is not known whether Matthew left the team or was dismissed by the school.

Matthew lived in Newport News and attended Christopher Newport University in 2003, from January through Oct. 15.

Late Wednesday, the university released a statement noting that Matthew was named in a police file involving a Sept. 7, 2003, sexual assault on the Newport News campus.

He was a member of CNU's football team from Aug. 14 to Sept. 12, 2003, where he was a 250-pound defensive lineman, according to the team's media guide.

Oh my goodness. I'm a psychologist and neuroscientist by training and I have never heard anyone reputable speak of this connection, except that some people have found a correlation between being a victim of various types of abuse and long term neurological changes, including those that seem to give rise to learning disabilities, like dyslexia. To say that there is a connection between being a rapist and being dyslexic sounds an awful lot like pop theory. I could imagine a world in which someone had damage to certain areas of the brain that led to both language/reading problems and disinhibited/antisocial behavior, but run-of-the-mill dyslexia? No. If anything, his football-playing would be a more likely culprit (many blows to the head can lead to neurological damage). JMO.
I had speculated on the head injury angle a while back only to be shot down by a member who purported to have greater knowledge in this area. I would be curious of your opinion on this. I find the "why" behind criminal behavior of this type fascinating and useful in helping to prevent future perps and victims.

I had speculated on the head injury angle a while back only to be shot down by a member who purported to have greater knowledge in this area. I would be curious of your opinion on this. I find the "why" behind criminal behavior of this type fascinating and useful in helping to prevent future perps and victims.

I've been wondering this myself -- perhaps CTE?

I also wonder about brain injury, or brain disease/tumor.

Hard to know at this point, but his reported emotionalism as a teenager doesn't really seem to fit the traditional mould of the psychopath who lacks all human emotion, who lacks all ability to feel empathy.

(Possible he would cry publicly over being turned down for a date, in high school, as simply part of a psychopath's performance/act? I'm not entirely convinced by that take.)

He certainly sounds very childish and infantile in many ways. Stunted.

Did he sign your yearbooks?

I went to school with a guy who ended up murdering his g/fs boyfriend. When I am looking at the year book it just feels so surreal ,knowing what he did later.

Here is the link on that case.
http://fredericksburg.com/News/FLS/2001/062001/06092001/306963
I didnt know know the girlfriend,however I did know his ex gf who was a longterm g/f and dated him in the periord he was said to dated the murdering one.

Anyway I was just letting you know I understand a bit of what your going though. The story above is the second person I grew up with who turned out to be a murderer.

I also wonder about brain injury, or brain disease/tumor.

Hard to know at this point, but his reported emotionalism as a teenager doesn't really seem to fit the traditional mould of the psychopath who lacks all human emotion, who lacks all ability to feel empathy.

(Possible he would cry publicly over being turned down for a date, in high school, as simply part of a psychopath's performance/act? I'm not entirely convinced by that take.)

He certainly sounds very childish and infantile in many ways. Stunted.

I agree with all this. Of course, I'm not looking for a way to excuse any possible violence...just interested in looking for explanations.

Another theory I've been tossing around in my own head is that the 2002 allegation might not have been a true assault. Having lived in the area of LU for years, I'm well-acquainted with many of the University rules -- one of which is that any sexual relations are punishable by expulsion. I'm wondering if the relationship between JM and the female student really was consensual, but when they somehow got caught, she saved her own hide by alleging assault. By doing so, JM's football career and academic future was destroyed and he would've probably blamed her and become extremely resentful and angry.

If the female student from LU is ever identified, I'd be interested in seeing if she was tall, slim, with blondish/brownish hair. To me, that would explain why that's his type and why he acts out at the same time every year.

Of course, JMO. Mods delete if this theorizing isn't allowed.

PS: If the 2002 alleged assault really WAS an assault, then I apologize in advance for suggesting it wasn't.

Did he sign your yearbooks?

I went to school with a guy who ended up murdering his g/fs boyfriend. When I am looking at the year book it just feels so surreal ,knowing what he did later.

Here is the link on that case.
http://fredericksburg.com/News/FLS/2001/062001/06092001/306963
I didnt know know the girlfriend,however I did know his ex gf who was a longterm g/f and dated him in the periord he was said to dated the murdering one.

Anyway I was just letting you know I understand a bit of what your going though. The story above is the second person I grew up with who turned out to be a murderer.

I'm pretty sure he would've signed them...that being said, they're all in storage in SWVA so I can't look to see. I do know he signed all my best friends' year books, so I'd be surprised if he didn't sign mine, too.

EDIT: Thanks for the kind words. It's a shock, yes, and I question some things...but, in the end, I just want to see justice served, no matter what that looks like.

I agree with all this. Of course, I'm not looking for a way to excuse any possible violence...just interested in looking for explanations.

Another theory I've been tossing around in my own head is that the 2002 allegation might not have been a true assault. Having lived in the area of LU for years, I'm well-acquainted with many of the University rules -- one of which is that any sexual relations are punishable by expulsion. I'm wondering if the relationship between JM and the female student really was consensual, but when they somehow got caught, she saved her own hide by alleging assault. By doing so, JM's football career and academic future was destroyed and he would've probably blamed her and become extremely resentful and angry.

If the female student from LU is ever identified, I'd be interested in seeing if she was tall, slim, with blondish/brownish hair. To me, that would explain why that's his type and why he acts out at the same time every year.

Of course, JMO. Mods delete if this theorizing isn't allowed.

PS: If the 2002 alleged assault really WAS an assault, then I apologize in advance for suggesting it wasn't.

I know what you are saying. Liberty is not the same as most universities. The problem is that he went on to a public college Christopher Newport and had the same sort of issue AGAIN. I could see a jock back in 2002 at a school like Liberty, crossing the line and getting into trouble. I don't excuse it, but yes, it's something that happens a lot, too much, and in most cases does not result in someone progressing to a serial rapist/killer. In fact, getting expelled, and losing the football opportunities should have been a wake up call for him to curb that sort of behavior and becoming very, very careful Instead he turns around and does it again in short order. And is still a serial sexual harasser at very least. Talk about not learning from ones mistakes.

The same goes for his DMV problems. You'd think that he'd have gotten them taken care of by now. I can see a rash of violations for a few years, a young person just not getting it, but by now, he should have cleaned up his act, knowing the consequences of them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Placeholder25