JLM: What Do We Know About Him? - #2

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Heck, when the Sketch first was revealed several years ago even MY instinct was "Well, this guy is surely from NoVa area b/c it's so big and probably just came down to C-ville occasionally"..

That's precisely what I thought too. Never in a million years would I have guessed "that" guy lived here. And I bet most Charlottesvillians thought similarly.

I've missed some of the this discussion, but have tried to catch up. Still unclear on why the location of the '05 rape/assault seems so hard to get to? It doesn't seem that way to me. It's close to 66. It's not hard to get to from the main GMU campus. JM has shown a propensity for college girls, so I don't see anything specific about the Jermantown location, other than it's near a university. :confused:

It's not hard at all to get there on a map, but there are a couple things to consider:

1. Traffic is nightmarish in all of Northern Virginia. I don't know where you live, but NoVa is nothing like Charlottesville or Richmond. No one drives around those suburbs for fun. It's work. (Although, yes, weekend nights are better.)

2. Jermantown Road is not a major thoroughfare. Once it crosses I-66 (north to south), it drops to two lanes. Jermantown Road might help get you to/from Tysons Corner by way of Vienna, but that primarily applies to business traffic during workdays. (I used it for exactly that, but make note that that's a route known to locals.)

Also -- and I don't know how relevant this is -- but those townhouses and apartments are not exactly upscale. (My ex wasn't entirely comfortable with the local clientele when she lived there; she and her sister were in the minority as English speakers.) I don't want anyone to take this the wrong way, but Jesse Matthew does not appear to be among the social elite, and the possibility of his having contacts among that particular community makes perfect sense; he would not have been out of place.

Anyway, I surmise that it's unlikely that an out-of-towner would be on that particularly road or would even know of that particular road. Why would he? It's not the same as being on Routes 28 or 29 or 50. But ... if you had (or once had) friends in those townhouses or apartments, then suddenly the perspective changes completely. From that standpoint, Jermantown would be slightly off the beaten path (Route 50) and would be familiar territory.

Oh, as for accessibility to George Mason, again, it's much harder than it looks on a map. Chain Bridge Road through downtown Fairfax City is slow going; doable, but inconvenient. I'd buy into that idea more if the rape had occurred somewhere along Braddock Road, south of Fairfax City.

That's just my read of the lay of the land. I think most NoVa residents would agree with me on most of this.

I get what you're saying. And I respect that you live there (or must have at one point?). I grew up in C-ville, lived there 22 years and also lived in DC and frequented Fairfax for a while, so I'm definitely familiar with the area. I guess all I'm saying is that I don't think JM needed a cab run reason or anything to be up there. B/c yes, it doesn't make sense he would be going through that area due to a cab run. I think it's possible he hung around GMU every so often. Maybe even did the bar scene there- not necessarily where students hung out. I just think it's possible he mosied (moseyed? I can't spell it) off from the beaten University track to stalk that night. I'm also just curious as to why it would matter if we knew he had family that lived there or something? Not at all snippy- I'm genuinely trying to put together what that would tell us.

In my mind, that's one of the last places someone would go to stalk because there are so many other areas with more people to stalk. (GAH, it feels creepy typing that.) It just seems like such a random place for him to be.

But you are right, I guess it doesn't really matter. If his DNA is on the suspect then we know what we need to know about the rape.

I'm more interested in it from just trying to piece together what he was doing at all in the 2004/2005 time frame which seems to be a huge gaping hole in his history. Does his MO in this case (which seems to be somewhat different than the other cases of attacking near his current home), open up the possibility of an even broader range of victims? Etc.

(FWIW, I do currently live in Fairfax - and have since 2002. Not terribly far from the Fairfax rape, but closer to Dulles.)

I think we need to think less sometimes. IK traveled the entire country looking for random, on-the-spot victims. Not that JM would have been quite that accomplished or cocky in 2006, but we really don't yet know that, do we? If he started in the late 1990's, as LE is checking, or even in 2002 or 2003, by 2006 he might have gotten away with this 10 or 15 times already. Particularly if he was "working" in DC/MD/PA. How many missing persons cases are there? Unidentified bodies? Assaults and rapes with no POI?

Along those lines - would have they have run JM's (or Sketch's, which we now know is the same) against DNA found anywhere in the country (I'm thinking in 2009 or since 2006, not necessarily just now) or just Virginia? Do we know the only known victims with DNA in CODIS since JM was pubescent are Fairfax and MH? (I don't think I'm expressing myself clearly...do you understand what it is I'm asking?)

In an interview with his high school wrestling coach, the coach stated that once JM had won the match, there were many times that he had to go onto the mat himself and pull JM off of the opponent...his anger/strength etc. was out of line. Coach implied that he had to watch him closely when on the mat. So it appears that JM has had anger/violence issues for a long time. At some point he turned that aggression from his sports opponents to women.

was this around the year 2000???

I think we need to think less sometimes. IK traveled the entire country looking for random, on-the-spot victims. Not that JM would have been quite that accomplished or cocky in 2006, but we really don't yet know that, do we? If he started in the late 1990's, as LE is checking, or even in 2002 or 2003, by 2006 he might have gotten away with this 10 or 15 times already. Particularly if he was "working" in DC/MD/PA. How many missing persons cases are there? Unidentified bodies? Assaults and rapes with no POI?

Along those lines - would have they have run JM's (or Sketch's, which we now know is the same) against DNA found anywhere in the country (I'm thinking in 2009 or since 2006, not necessarily just now) or just Virginia? Do we know the only known victims with DNA in CODIS since JM was pubescent are Fairfax and MH? (I don't think I'm expressing myself clearly...do you understand what it is I'm asking?)

I think I get it. Which is sort of what I said right above you. If he had ties in Fairfax and knew the area it would be more consistent with the other crimes he has been linked to. If he had NO ties to the area and just drove around until he found an area off the beaten path to stalk and rape someone then we've just expanded the range of victims exponentially.

In one of the articles, it says that the victim was not walking along the main road, but along a path to the townhouses from the grocery store. Do you know where this path would be?

Concerned Mama, I do not. But I suspect the path would be behind the Giant and actually well away from Jermantown Road, that is, leading to the townhouses and apartments from the back way. Have a look at Google Maps satellite images. Makes sense.

I don't talk to my ex anymore, but she liked Giant, and I'll guarantee she used the same path. I never realized any of this until tonight, when I looked at a map more closely.

Do we have a timeline started anywhere about LJM life? with dates that may show some anger clues? where he was when ladies disappeared? States?

I think I get it. Which is sort of what I said right above you. If he had ties in Fairfax and knew the area it would be more consistent with the other crimes he has been linked to. If he had NO ties to the area and just drove around until he found an area off the beaten path to stalk and rape someone then we've just expanded the range of victims exponentially.

Yes.

So, with CODIS, do we know for a fact that the only two cases with DNA from an unknown perp that are in CODIS and match JM's are Fairfax and Morgan (i.e. how does it work that that "hit" was recognized)?

Or, do we only know that the only two cases with DNA entered in CODIS that match JM's in Virginia are Fairfax and Morgan?

Or, are there rape kits sitting on a shelf somewhere untested that might be JM's? Are there cases in other states that might be JM's? Are there other cases without DNA from the perp that might be JM's?

When did CODIS start? I know in the 1980's, there was no such thing as DNA testing. Was there in 2000? 2003? Is all the unknown DNA from perps from all crimes entered?

trying to do a timeline
parents separated when he started high school?
just gathering info............
did anyone do one yet?

Yes.

So, with CODIS, do we know for a fact that the only two cases with DNA from an unknown perp that are in CODIS and match JM's are Fairfax and Morgan (i.e. how does it work that that "hit" was recognized)?

Or, do we only know that the only two cases with DNA entered in CODIS that match JM's in Virginia are Fairfax and Morgan?

Or, are there rape kits sitting on a shelf somewhere untested that might be JM's? Are there cases in other states that might be JM's? Are there other cases without DNA from the perp that might be JM's?

When did CODIS start? I know in the 1980's, there was no such thing as DNA testing. Was there in 2000? 2003? Is all the unknown DNA from perps from all crimes entered?

My personal concern is the unprocessed rape kits. I know nothing about how CODIS works, but I know if there really and truly are 400,000 untested rape kits sitting on shelves all over the country that CODIS is somewhat irrelevant. :(

http://www.newrepublic.com/article/...g-joe-biden-announces-35-million-reopen-cases

It's not hard at all to get there on a map, but there are a couple things to consider:.......

That's just my read of the lay of the land. I think most NoVa residents would agree with me on most of this.

Snipped for space.

I appreciate that insight. It does look a little off the beaten path from major "known" areas in that general area. I still think it's relatively close to GMU and he could have purposely just started going down streets and scoping out more remote neighborhoods. In fact, I actually wouldn't have expected to hear the rape happened in Fair Oaks shopping center or anything like that. My guess is he wanted to just go random and private. But again, all just MO.

I've never lived in Fairfax. Did spend 22 years in C-ville and some time in DC and had a ton of friends all over NoVa. But I will admit I don't think I've spent time in that Jermantown Road area. So I appreciate that insight into the neighborhood.

Well, unless we find out he lived there during his "missing years", I still think it doesn't really matter why he was in that particular place. But like kjs3 said, it could expand his possible random attack areas. But again, it just goes almost as a given to me that someone from C-ville would have contacts in NoVa and it's almost a non-issue to me. I don't know- just musing.

It's not hard at all to get there on a map, but there are a couple things to consider:

1. Traffic is nightmarish in all of Northern Virginia. I don't know where you live, but NoVa is nothing like Charlottesville or Richmond. No one drives around those suburbs for fun. It's work. (Although, yes, weekend nights are better.)

2. Jermantown Road is not a major thoroughfare. Once it crosses I-66 (north to south), it drops to two lanes. Jermantown Road might help get you to/from Tysons Corner by way of Vienna, but that primarily applies to business traffic during workdays. (I used it for exactly that, but make note that that's a route known to locals.)

Also -- and I don't know how relevant this is -- but those townhouses and apartments are not exactly upscale. (My ex wasn't entirely comfortable with the local clientele when she lived there; she and her sister were in the minority as English speakers.) I don't want anyone to take this the wrong way, but Jesse Matthew does not appear to be among the social elite, and the possibility of his having contacts among that particular community makes perfect sense; he would not have been out of place.

Anyway, I surmise that it's unlikely that an out-of-towner would be on that particularly road or would even know of that particular road. Why would he? It's not the same as being on Routes 28 or 29 or 50. But ... if you had (or once had) friends in those townhouses or apartments, then suddenly the perspective changes completely. From that standpoint, Jermantown would be slightly off the beaten path (Route 50) and would be familiar territory.

Oh, as for accessibility to George Mason, again, it's much harder than it looks on a map. Chain Bridge Road through downtown Fairfax City is slow going; doable, but inconvenient. I'd buy into that idea more if the rape had occurred somewhere along Braddock Road, south of Fairfax City.

I grew up in Fairfax County, and just wanted to chime in to say I definitely agree with you. There are many highways and large 4-lane roads in the area, and little reason for someone to venture off the main thoroughfares to get from point A to point B. Heck, I lived in a town adjacent to Fairfax for 17 years and I don't know if I was on Jermantown Road more than once or twice, and always for a particular purpose (e.g., to visit someone's home).

Also, 2005 was before smart phones, and even GPS was somewhat rare (if I remember correctly!). I can't imagine how he would have ended up in that part of Fairfax unless he was familiar with the area.

Also, 2005 was before smart phones, and even GPS was somewhat rare (if I remember correctly!). I can't imagine how he would have ended up in that part of Fairfax unless he was familiar with the area.

Great point! I didn't have an iPhone until 2011. It's not very likely that he had an electronic nav system at his disposal in 2005.

He knew that specific area. I posit that eventually we'll know how and why, and it will all come together.

My personal concern is the unprocessed rape kits. I know nothing about how CODIS works, but I know if there really and truly are 400,000 untested rape kits sitting on shelves all over the country that CODIS is somewhat irrelevant. :(

http://www.newrepublic.com/article/...g-joe-biden-announces-35-million-reopen-cases
. . . . and I bet I know 400,001 women who would be willing to learn how to process them real quick!!!!! Where there is a will there is a way.

. . . . and I bet I know 400,001 women who would be willing to learn how to process them real quick!!!!! Where there is a will there is a way.

Did you see this staggering statistic in the article???

"in Detroit, where an 11,000-kit backlog remains, analyzing the first 10 percent of kits led law enforcement to 46 serial rapists."

HOLY ----!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members