JLM: What Do We Know About Him? - #2

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
It's not hard at all to get there on a map, but there are a couple things to consider:

1. Traffic is nightmarish in all of Northern Virginia. I don't know where you live, but NoVa is nothing like Charlottesville or Richmond. No one drives around those suburbs for fun. It's work. (Although, yes, weekend nights are better.)

2. Jermantown Road is not a major thoroughfare. Once it crosses I-66 (north to south), it drops to two lanes. Jermantown Road might help get you to/from Tysons Corner by way of Vienna, but that primarily applies to business traffic during workdays. (I used it for exactly that, but make note that that's a route known to locals.)

Also -- and I don't know how relevant this is -- but those townhouses and apartments are not exactly upscale. (My ex wasn't entirely comfortable with the local clientele when she lived there; she and her sister were in the minority as English speakers.) I don't want anyone to take this the wrong way, but Jesse Matthew does not appear to be among the social elite, and the possibility of his having contacts among that particular community makes perfect sense; he would not have been out of place.

Anyway, I surmise that it's unlikely that an out-of-towner would be on that particularly road or would even know of that particular road. Why would he? It's not the same as being on Routes 28 or 29 or 50. But ... if you had (or once had) friends in those townhouses or apartments, then suddenly the perspective changes completely. From that standpoint, Jermantown would be slightly off the beaten path (Route 50) and would be familiar territory.

Oh, as for accessibility to George Mason, again, it's much harder than it looks on a map. Chain Bridge Road through downtown Fairfax City is slow going; doable, but inconvenient. I'd buy into that idea more if the rape had occurred somewhere along Braddock Road, south of Fairfax City.

That's just my read of the lay of the land. I think most NoVa residents would agree with me on most of this.

Yes. We lived off of Burke Station Rd. between Braddock and Little River Tpke. (Main St.). I considered that to be near George Mason. I really never considered Jermantown near GMU.

I grew up in Fairfax County, and just wanted to chime in to say I definitely agree with you. There are many highways and large 4-lane roads in the area, and little reason for someone to venture off the main thoroughfares to get from point A to point B. Heck, I lived in a town adjacent to Fairfax for 17 years and I don't know if I was on Jermantown Road more than once or twice, and always for a particular purpose (e.g., to visit someone's home).

Also, 2005 was before smart phones, and even GPS was somewhat rare (if I remember correctly!). I can't imagine how he would have ended up in that part of Fairfax unless he was familiar with the area.

Unless your a serial perp scoping for victims/locations. Particularly if you're off the beaten path anyway, driving someone around in a cab.

And we used maps back then. ;) Or you got lost, which is also a possibility. Getting intentionally lost. (See above.)

Not being snarky, just trying to get you guys to see that perhaps he was there intentionally on purpose with no other reason than scoping for "good" spots. And, for whatever reason, he decided that was one.

I know we want the "smoking gun" that places him in Fairfax at that date at that time, and LE probably has it, but we won't know (at least not by rehashing it here) until trial.

They have his DNA from a rape victim who was able to provide a sketch that looks enough like him. He was there. Why? We might never know.

Unless your a serial perp scoping for victims/locations. Particularly if you're off the beaten path anyway, driving someone around in a cab.

And we used maps back then. ;) Or you got lost, which is also a possibility. Getting intentionally lost. (See above.)

Not being snarky, just trying to get you guys to see that perhaps he was there intentionally on purpose with no other reason than scoping for "good" spots. And, for whatever reason, he decided that was one.

I know we want the "smoking gun" that places him in Fairfax at that date at that time, and LE probably has it, but we won't know (at least not by rehashing it here) until trial.

They have his DNA from a rape victim who was able to provide a sketch that looks enough like him. He was there. Why? We might never know.

We probably won't know but the "why" might be part of a pattern that will lead to other places/potential victims so I guess interesting to try to figure out.

We probably won't know but the "why" might be part of a pattern that will lead to other places/potential victims so I guess interesting to try to figure out.

YES! I know.

Hoping to get some potential victims from that area/time frame on a map. That might help with that aspect.

Is there any way to find out where he did live in 2004-2005? Where he worked? If he got any traffic tickets anywhere? We've literally got nuthin'.

YES! I know.

Hoping to get some potential victims from that area/time frame on a map. That might help with that aspect.

Is there any way to find out where he did live in 2004-2005? Where he worked? If he got any traffic tickets anywhere? We've literally got nuthin'.

I know, I can't find anything for that time frame. Have I missed the rest until 2009, bc I can't find that either (?)

I know a number of people who look more like the sketch than JM does. However, for a police sketch, it's good. I don't think the sketches are used to try to ID people randomly. If some person comes to mind who is suspicious in such behavior or something rings a bell about circumstances that tie someone to a crime, AND there is some resemblance to a sketch, that's when the calls come in. Around here, a lot of people would resemble that sketch.

But now that JM is has been IDed with DNA, it's the clear that the sketch is not far of from him. Good thing too. If that victim were as far off in description as WG was in the Charlottesville mall , it could be an issue.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1414032669.823582.jpg
I did this on my phone and can't get the middle line off but I think the sketch is really pretty well done.

View attachment 62032
I did this on my phone and can't get the middle line off but I think the sketch is really pretty well done.

Wow! I didn't really think he looked too much like him (not that it matters, it was from a traumatized victim who only saw him for moments), but that's crazy!

ETA - The pic you chose, too, is the one where I think he's intentionally opening his eyes wider, perhaps as that chameleon again, to skew his appearance, making his eyes look larger and his eyebrows farther away than they would normally.

I know, I can't find anything for that time frame. Have I missed the rest until 2009, bc I can't find that either (?)

http://www.websleuths.com/forums/sh...h-Graham-MAPS-amp-TIMELINES-**NO-DISCUSSION**

Look at the timeline here, last post. Not entirely accurate or up to date at this point, but pretty good. Thanks go to shutterbug.

I wonder if Paulap follows this thread and would be comfortable chiming in, unless she's been in touch with LE and they've advised her not to. She might know more about those years.

Wow! I always thought the eyebrows were similar, but to see what you've done here just blows me away! And to think there's nine years between the sketch on the left and the mug shot on the right. :eek:hwow:

It's too bad this earlier photo of JLM isn't facing completely forward like a mug shot. I'd love to see a comparison, but not going to work at the angle shown.
http://www.websleuths.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=59665&d=1411404856

I wonder if he didn't make himself look different by puffing out his cheeks a bit.

It is interesting that the female co worker said he was well spoken.

Different than the act he pulled in Texas.

The pic you chose, too, is the one where I think he's intentionally opening his eyes wider, perhaps as that chameleon again, to skew his appearance, making his eyes look larger and his eyebrows farther away than they would normally.
Soooo different from his DMV photo taken on Sept. 19th!

Wow! I always thought the eyebrows were similar, but to see what you've done here just blows me away! And to think there's nine years between the sketch on the left and the mug shot on the right. :eek:hwow:

It's too bad this earlier photo of JLM isn't facing completely forward like a mug shot. I'd love to see a comparison, but not going to work at the angle shown.
http://www.websleuths.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=59665&d=1411404856

I have to say, he's aged really well. The age-progressed sketch that came out looks sooo much older. When the sketch was released, I was on the lookout for a much older man (not that I live anywhere near Cville, but still :)). He basically must look like he did in '05.

ETA: thanks kjs3 for directing me to timeline

I know I was a much better navigator before smart phones because I paid attention and studied maps.

As an outdoorsman and a taxi driver, I'm guessing JM had a pretty decent handle on how to locate himself.

The newer released age progressed sketch does make him look older than his years, IMO. More around the age of 35-45. But, the original age approximation from the Fairfax rape was a male between the ages of 25-35, so I suppose they had to factor that in when creating the newer age progressed sketch. IMO, they made him look almost more like he could be part Indian or another nationality in the new sketch. Possibly that's just because it looks like a lighter skinned man. I see similarities between JM and the newer sketch, but I REALLY think the original sketch was spot on. http://www.readthehook.com/67132/morgans-killer-fairfax-case-connection-offers-hope-fresh-fear

Especially because it looks like a man in his early 20's. As JM was back in 2005. Also, I would love to see someone match up half of his face in that sketch with half of his face in his mug shot!

Did you see this staggering statistic in the article???

"in Detroit, where an 11,000-kit backlog remains, analyzing the first 10 percent of kits led law enforcement to 46 serial rapists."

HOLY ----!!!!

Just working my way through the thread, so I apologize if someone has already stated this, but a huge majority of rapists are serial rapists. So much so that the term is almost an oxymoron.

Did you see this staggering statistic in the article???

"in Detroit, where an 11,000-kit backlog remains, analyzing the first 10 percent of kits led law enforcement to 46 serial rapists."

HOLY ----!!!!

That is incredible! Where I live, we had a serial rapist/killer, and he ended up killing the daughter of a family who had a lot of ties in the community. From donations, they were able to clear the entire DNA backlog. A couple years later, a friend of mine was jogging and was raped by a stranger, same town. The DNA results came back right away, and there was a match. So, my point is that sometimes it takes a tragedy like this for good things to come in the future. I hope we can recover something positive from JM that will help the community in Virginia, and I guess it is up to us to determine where the holes are and work with the community to fill them.

I wonder if he didn't make himself look different by puffing out his cheeks a bit.

It is interesting that the female co worker said he was well spoken.

Different than the act he pulled in Texas.

Human, I was thinking the same thing. Well spoken?!! He said, "Well, umm, like...I have a question."

I wonder if that female coworker meant polite, rather than well spoken. We know from his landlord at Hessian Hills that he was a "Yes, m'am" and "No, m'am" type of guy when he wanted to be.

I wonder if that female coworker meant polite, rather than well spoken. We know from his landlord at Hessian Hills that he was a "Yes, m'am" and "No, m'am" type of guy when he wanted to be.

Okay not to get pitchforks thrown in my direction here... but maybe she was trying to say that he didn't use a lot of slang or speak in the way that she may have thought he would based on his appearance.

I know that Northerners often make assumptions about me based on my slight southern accent, so I imagine it can easily work the other way around

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bannosusan5