JLM: What Do We Know About Him? - #2

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Two things just occurred to me (but probably most people already know my first point):

1. That's not even in Fairfax County -- it's in Fairfax City. Why has it taken so long for that to sink into my brain?

2. Look at Rock Garden Drive on a map. Back in 1999-2000, my then-long-time girlfriend lived in the apartments on Gainsborough Court -- a couple streets up Jermantown, maybe a hundred yards or so. I know those adjoining townhouses very well. I have been there many times. Creepy.

Yes - that is totally plausible that the taxi job could bring him up here occasionally. But I agree there would have to be a friend or other connection to put him in the Jermantown Road area. It's not just a part of Fairfax where you would end up if you were going strictly to and from Dulles.

That's right. It takes work to get from Dulles down Route 28 to Chantilly and then down Route 50 to Fairfax City. Far more difficult than it appears on a map. You almost certainly have to have a reason.

I know there has been quite a bit of discussion about the various photos/sketches of JLM, particularly that his face looks so much "fuller" in one of the photos. I just looked at the photo where his face appears to be much fuller (particularly lips and cheeks) side-by-side with the one close-up of his dreads pulled back to try to figure out why the other one makes his face looks so much bigger. I "think" I figured it out. His face looks fuller in the one because his beard extends all the way up the side of his cheeks in that one which makes the cheeks themselves more pronounced, almost as though they're framed. Does anyone else see that?

He is known to have connections in MD, DC, and PA (according to his wanted poster). He told the victim he was waiting for a friend. It is quite likely he was there, just visiting a friend. And, as an SK, he would have been scoping out good locations in advance.

Here's a map from Dulles to the approximate location where the victim was dragged to Charlottesville. https://goo.gl/maps/J0xF8

If he had a run to Dulles from CHO (which happens frequently, and LE would have those records and might be why they're so certain they can convict him), stopping by Fairfax to see a friend on the way home is completely not out of the question.

http://fox6now.com/2014/10/09/sourc...thew-linked-to-2009-death-hannah-graham-case/ - This shows his taxi license from 2005 to 2010 (August 1, 2010, when he asked it be deactivated).

This article has his license from 2007 to 2010.

Virginia Department of Motor Vehicles records show that Matthew held a taxi permit from 2007 until Aug. 2, 2010, when he asked that it be deactivated, an agency spokeswoman said Friday. Matthew’s taxi permit was filed under his own name, rather than a company name, and because the DMV does not have Matthew’s permit application, the length of his time with the company is unclear, an agency spokeswoman said.

http://www.roanoke.com/news/crime/c...cle_8b38e055-925b-5247-baa2-0be92eb5ba6f.html

I have also seen from 2007-2012. I wonder if my bolded is the reason for the different timeframes?

As to your question:
@Concerned Mama
Re: his Taxi license. Where are you seeing 2005. I have seen it only as early as 2007 when he reappears in the C-ville area. 2005 and 2006 are the two years where it is very hard to figure out where JLM Jr was living.

thank you, ksj3, for answering for me while I was offline. :seeya:
http://fox6now.com/2014/10/09/sourc...thew-linked-to-2009-death-hannah-graham-case/ - This shows his taxi license from 2005 to 2010 (August 1, 2010, when he asked it be deactivated).
from that article: "He had a license to operate a taxi in the Virginia city from 2005 to 2010, according to Todd Divers, Charlottesville’s commissioner of revenue."

I have seen speculation that he was there in conjunction with his semi-pro football team, the Silverbacks.
I remember seeing this speculation, too, dda. I'd have to go back to verify, but I seem to recall somebody researched and found out that the Silverbacks (Metallica theme song and all) were not formed until 2011.

2. Look at Rock Garden Drive on a map. Back in 1999-2000, my then-long-time girlfriend lived in the apartments on Gainsborough Court -- a couple streets up Jermantown, maybe a hundred yards or so. I know those adjoining townhouses very well. I have been there many times. Creepy.
In one of the articles, it says that the victim was not walking along the main road, but along a path to the townhouses from the grocery store. Do you know where this path would be?

Two things just occurred to me (but probably most people already know my first point):

1. That's not even in Fairfax County -- it's in Fairfax City. Why has it taken so long for that to sink into my brain?

Ever take any pictures outside while there? Perhaps there's a taxi.

That's right. It takes work to get from Dulles down Route 28 to Chantilly and then down Route 50 to Fairfax City. Far more difficult than it appears on a map. You almost certainly have to have a reason.

I've missed some of the this discussion, but have tried to catch up. Still unclear on why the location of the '05 rape/assault seems so hard to get to? It doesn't seem that way to me. It's close to 66. It's not hard to get to from the main GMU campus. JM has shown a propensity for college girls, so I don't see anything specific about the Jermantown location, other than it's near a university. :confused:

I know there has been quite a bit of discussion about the various photos/sketches of JLM, particularly that his face looks so much "fuller" in one of the photos. I just looked at the photo where his face appears to be much fuller (particularly lips and cheeks) side-by-side with the one close-up of his dreads pulled back to try to figure out why the other one makes his face looks so much bigger. I "think" I figured it out. His face looks fuller in the one because his beard extends all the way up the side of his cheeks in that one which makes the cheeks themselves more pronounced, almost as though they're framed. Does anyone else see that?

I know a number of people who look more like the sketch than JM does. However, for a police sketch, it's good. I don't think the sketches are used to try to ID people randomly. If some person comes to mind who is suspicious in such behavior or something rings a bell about circumstances that tie someone to a crime, AND there is some resemblance to a sketch, that's when the calls come in. Around here, a lot of people would resemble that sketch.

But now that JM is has been IDed with DNA, it's the clear that the sketch is not far of from him. Good thing too. If that victim were as far off in description as WG was in the Charlottesville mall , it could be an issue.

This article has his license from 2007 to 2010.

http://www.roanoke.com/news/crime/c...cle_8b38e055-925b-5247-baa2-0be92eb5ba6f.html

I have also seen from 2007-2012. I wonder if my bolded is the reason for the different timeframes?

There have been MSM discrepancies with regards to the years he held the license. We have Todd Divers' statement (Charlottesville Commissioner of the Revenue) and DMV's records which conflict. So, how do we know which is correct?

In any case, I suspect either 1) having contacts in the area and 2) having a taxi license would provide a reason for him being there. Knowing exactly who and where his contacts in the area were, of course, would potentially seal the deal.

(And my deactivation date is incorrect - it was 8/2/10, sorry.)

I've missed some of the this discussion, but have tried to catch up. Still unclear on why the location of the '05 rape/assault seems so hard to get to? It doesn't seem that way to me. It's close to 66. It's not hard to get to from the main GMU campus. JM has shown a propensity for college girls, so I don't see anything specific about the Jermantown location, other than it's near a university. :confused:

I just have a curiousity as to what JM was doing there. To go to a relatively unfamiliar location, or be visiting and to then assault someone like that without knowing how things work there, the area, the patterns seems riskier than operating in familar grounds. But then again, the chances of getting spotted later or for sketch tie ins would be smaller. Not as likely to be seen around there afaterwards. And a sketch from an crime some distance away would not have the impact in a locale. Had that rape occurred in Charlottesville, it's possible that more scrutiny was given to anyone who might fit the scrip. I've no doubt that those who remarked to JM that the sketh resembled him did not think for an instant it was him, and that the episode was some distance away made it less likely that a longtime local resident did that there. Even though the info linked to a crime that occurred locally.

We also can't "find" him in 2004 or 2005. Perhaps he was living there.

It's not that it's hard to get to. It's that if he was only doing taxi runs from Charlottesville to Dulles, he would never end up in that area of Fairfax. It's a relatively busy area (as are most in Fairfax) with shopping and restaurants fairly close by . . . But it has not and has never been the most common place you would find out of towners or people who didn't know the area well. For instance, people unfamiliar with the area would end up in the Fair Oaks shopping/dining area instead.

It is also close to GMU, but that's relative. Anything that looks like 10 minutes on a map takes more like 45 minutes in this crazy place. And it's definitely not where most GMU people hang out. Sort of a weird spot to describe. Definitely more of a local area than a popular one. My coworkers and I used to frequent a bar right near where the assault happened and one of the reasons we went there was because it wasn't overrun with the typical happy hour crowds.

I just have a curiousity as to what JM was doing there. To go to a relatively unfamiliar location, or be visiting and to then assault someone like that without knowing how things work there, the area, the patterns seems riskier than operating in familar grounds. But then again, the chances of getting spotted later or for sketch tie ins would be smaller. Not as likely to be seen around there afaterwards. And a sketch from an crime some distance away would not have the impact in a locale. Had that rape occurred in Charlottesville, it's possible that more scrutiny was given to anyone who might fit the scrip. I've no doubt that those who remarked to JM that the sketh resembled him did not think for an instant it was him, and that the episode was some distance away made it less likely that a longtime local resident did that there. Even though the info linked to a crime that occurred locally.

Thanks. Yes, I agree that JM was less likely to be identified in an area away from C-ville. And his friends wouldn't make the same level of connection to the Sketch since it wasn't local. I think even though Sketch was connected to the local MH case, the fact it was released in connection to Fairfax made it seem one more step away. Heck, when the Sketch first was revealed several years ago even MY instinct was "Well, this guy is surely from NoVa area b/c it's so big and probably just came down to C-ville occasionally". I have no real basis for why I thought that, but I just assumed he was from a more metropolitan area (and also probably subconsciously didn't want to think he lived in my hometown!)

I personally don't think there is much behind him being in Fairfax other than just having people he's visited there over the years, maybe having been up near Dulles for a cab run, maybe there at the time visiting family, etc. Some type of connection to Northern Virginia, if you live in C-ville, is so common that it's almost a given. I don't think why he was there in Fairfax that particularl day/night of the 24th is very relevant. IMO. I don't think it would add anything. It's super close to a college campus and I think that's really the only thing that seems to be relevant. Again JMO.

It's not that it's hard to get to. It's that if he was only doing taxi runs from Charlottesville to Dulles, he would never end up in that area of Fairfax. It's a relatively busy area (as are most in Fairfax) with shopping and restaurants fairly close by . . . But it has not and has never been the most common place you would find out of towners or people who didn't know the area well. For instance, people unfamiliar with the area would end up in the Fair Oaks shopping/dining area instead.

It is also close to GMU, but that's relative. Anything that looks like 10 minutes on a map takes more like 45 minutes in this crazy place. And it's definitely not where most GMU people hang out. Sort of a weird spot to describe. Definitely more of a local area than a popular one. My coworkers and I used to frequent a bar right near where the assault happened and one of the reasons we went there was because it wasn't overrun with the typical happy hour crowds.

I get what you're saying. And I respect that you live there (or must have at one point?). I grew up in C-ville, lived there 22 years and also lived in DC and frequented Fairfax for a while, so I'm definitely familiar with the area. I guess all I'm saying is that I don't think JM needed a cab run reason or anything to be up there. B/c yes, it doesn't make sense he would be going through that area due to a cab run. I think it's possible he hung around GMU every so often. Maybe even did the bar scene there- not necessarily where students hung out. I just think it's possible he mosied (moseyed? I can't spell it) off from the beaten University track to stalk that night. I'm also just curious as to why it would matter if we knew he had family that lived there or something? Not at all snippy- I'm genuinely trying to put together what that would tell us.

I have asked before about Virginia International University. They seem to have a large population from Africa and India. JM has a lot of Indian friends on his FB page. VIU is right there near the crime scene. Is there a chance in h*ll that he enrolled there after CNU? Idk? :confused:

Sent from my VM670 using Tapatalk 2

I know a number of people who look more like the sketch than JM does. However, for a police sketch, it's good. I don't think the sketches are used to try to ID people randomly. If some person comes to mind who is suspicious in such behavior or something rings a bell about circumstances that tie someone to a crime, AND there is some resemblance to a sketch, that's when the calls come in. Around here, a lot of people would resemble that sketch.

But now that JM is has been IDed with DNA, it's the clear that the sketch is not far of from him. Good thing too. If that victim were as far off in description as WG was in the Charlottesville mall , it could be an issue.

Well, I really wasn't doing a comparison of the sketch, I was comparing two photos.

I have asked before about Virginia International University. They seem to have a large population from Africa and India. JM has a lot of Indian friends on his FB page. VIU is right there near the crime scene. Is there a chance in h*ll that he enrolled there after CNU? Idk? :confused:
I don't know about being enrolled there, but certainly possible he was visiting somebody there whom he knew from C'ville, Liberty, or CNU and was at VIU at that time.

Ok, well as I've been sitting here thinking, I suppose yes it would definitely be helpful to know if he was living there. Good point.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kristens5487