JLM: What Do We Know About Him? - #2

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes Concerned Mom, I realize that, what I'm saying is there need to be a law that serial killers are considered domestic terrorists! Then their 'rights' change. I respect the constitution and the many rights it gives us. What I don't support is cases like this where there could be more victims, yet all the person has to do is keep quiet and the cases might never be solved. That's not fair to the rest of the population. The rights of one shouldn't harm the rights of the majority. I know at this point, legally nothing else can be done. What I'm proposing is that laws change in that aspect.

A significant difference with terrorism is the worry that they are working in collusion with others, and information needs to be obtained to prevent acts of terrorism. Even then, there is still great debate about what that should look like.

While it isn't "fair" to families, there is no indication that anyone is in danger, and JM (as much as we may hate it) needs to be afforded his constutional rights.

This particular incident may have begun as consensual, but JM may have gotten extremely rough and when she said STOP - he continued to hurt her. Sorry, but STOP means STOP! Whether it would hold up in court or not, idk. I can see where a situation such as this would be hard for a young woman to testify to in court... JMO.

you are so right... the reason i used the " " around the word alleged is that he was never charged in the rape...

Yes Concerned Mom, I realize that, what I'm saying is there need to be a law that serial killers are considered domestic terrorists! Then their 'rights' change. I respect the constitution and the many rights it gives us. What I don't support is cases like this where there could be more victims, yet all the person has to do is keep quiet and the cases might never be solved. That's not fair to the rest of the population. The rights of one shouldn't harm the rights of the majority. I know at this point, legally nothing else can be done. What I'm proposing is that laws change in that aspect.

gotta disagree here... the founders provided the rights in such a way that it minimized the risk of innocent people being convicted

JM played semi-pro football with the Virginia Silverbacks. they played home games on Monticello High School's field.

According to Coy Barefoot "lawyer in Charlottesville and Albemarle cases," defending him on Hannah Graham related charges "will NOT represent him in Fairfax County case." (a tweet)

Actually, our country was founded on the very notion that a democratic majority does not trump individual rights, which are derived from a higher power.

[h=1]Jesse Matthew, Suspect in Hannah Graham Case, Has History of Bad Acts[/h]
Questioned in a 2002 sexual assault
Accused of a 2003 sexual assault
Charges in a 2005 sexual assault
Linked to student's 2009 death
Accused of assault and attempted grand larceny in 2009
Convicted of trespassing in 2010
Accused of possession of stolen property in 2012
Charged with abduction with intent to defile in 2014

http://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news...nnah-graham-case-has-history-bad-acts-n230451

Have you thought this through? There are a few troubling issues with your logic:

1. How could you "force" a suspect to talk? Waterboard him? Really?

2. I very seriously doubt that suspected murderers could be legally classified as "terrorists." Terrorism, by its very definition, entails a political agenda that transcends mere "ugly violence." You can bet a law like that would be at odds with the Federal courts, and rightly so.

3. The will of the majority is irrelevant when it comes to fundamental rights. The very point of the Bill of Rights was to protect minority interests and unpopular notions. (Popular speech, for instance, doesn't need protection.)

4. In a colossal irony -- and this is a continuation of Item 3 -- Thomas Jefferson, founder of the University of Virginia, described the mindset you're advocating as "the tyranny of the majority." We're protected from that.

We have a legal means to compel suspects to talk: we barter with them. Don't rule out the possibility that prosecutors might eventually offer to trade pursuit of a life sentence (versus execution) in exchange for a full accounting of Jesse Matthew's transgressions.

QUESTION:

Others have obviously followed this case more closely than I, so maybe I've missed this. Have we seen any information that would explain what Jesse Matthew was doing in Fairfax County in 2005? Job, friends, relatives, anything? Can we otherwise place him there? These kinds of cases usually fit together very neatly once you have a promising suspect to examine.

I ask because, even though September 24, 2005, was a Saturday, Northern Virginia isn't the type place you just drop by on a whim -- it's crowded and congested, hard to get around, and there are lots of people everywhere all the time. We know that serial rapists and murderers like to work in familiar and comfortable territory, so I wonder if there has been a demonstrated connection between the suspect and that particular area.

I used to live in Western Fairfax (Centreville) and work at Tysons Corner, and I'd sometimes use Jermantown Road to get to work, depending on whether I wanted to go through the middle of Vienna. (Lee Highway to Jermantown to Chain Bridge, for those familiar with the area.) I know that piece of the county very well, and it doesn't seem like a place where an outsider would attempt to snatch a stranger.

Have you thought this through? There are a few troubling issues with your logic:

1. How could you "force" a suspect to talk? Waterboard him? Really?

2. I very seriously doubt that suspected murderers could be legally classified as "terrorists." Terrorism, by its very definition, entails a political agenda that transcends mere "ugly violence." You can bet a law like that would be at odds with the Federal courts, and rightly so.

3. The will of the majority is irrelevant when it comes to fundamental rights. The very point of the Bill of Rights was to protect minority interests PO and unpopular notions. (Popular speech, for instance, doesn't need protection.)

4. In a colossal irony -- and this is a continuation of Item 3 -- Thomas Jefferson, founder of the University of Virginia, described the mindset you're advocating as "the tyranny of the majority." We're protected from that.

We have a legal means to compel suspects to talk: we barter with them. Don't rule out the possibility that prosecutors might eventually offer to trade pursuit of a life sentence (versus execution) in exchange for a full accounting of Jesse Matthew's transgressions.

Well said! Events like this make us want to light the torches and carry the pitchforks, but Jefferson & company have dealt w/that...

QUESTION:

Others have obviously followed this case more closely than I, so maybe I've missed this. Have when seen any information that would explain what Jesse Matthew was doing in Fairfax County in 2005? Job, friends, relatives, anything? Can we otherwise place him there? These kinds of cases usually fit together very neatly once you have a promising suspect to examine.

I ask because, even though September 24, 2005, was a Saturday, Northern Virginia isn't the type place you just drop by on a whim -- it's crowded and congested, hard to get around, and there are lots of people everywhere all the time. We know that serial rapists and murderers like to work in familiar and comfortable territory, so I wonder if there has been a demonstrated connection between the suspect and that particular area.

I used to live in Western Fairfax (Centreville) and work at Tysons Corner, and I'd sometimes use Jermantown Road to get to work, depending on whether I wanted to go through the middle of Vienna. (Lee Highway to Jermantown to Chain Bridge, for those familiar with the area.) I know that piece of the county very well, and it doesn't seem like a place where an outsider would attempt to snatch a stranger.

There is the possibility of him visiting friends (who lived or went to school in the area) though nothing concrete. Fairfax LE has been working the case for the past nine years and with recent developments linking JM as the rapist it is possible some of those friends may have talked to LE and placed JM in the area during that time. That is only speculation at this point though.

QUESTION:

Others have obviously followed this case more closely than I, so maybe I've missed this. Have when seen any information that would explain what Jesse Matthew was doing in Fairfax County in 2005? Job, friends, relatives, anything? Can we otherwise place him there? These kinds of cases usually fit together very neatly once you have a promising suspect to examine.
bbm
Nothing has come to light yet about why he might have been in Fairfax that night. We know that he obtained his taxi license in 2005, and one member of the forum speculated that he might have taken transfers from C'ville airport to Dulles. Does that sound credible to you?

When I looked at the area several weeks ago, I noticed two schools with athletic fields, as well as a hotel on Jermantown Road. Probably irrelevant, but when the victim spoke to her assailant prior to the attack, he'd told her he was waiting on a friend. He then pursued and attacked her minutes later. The attack was around 10:00 at night.

bbm
Nothing has come to light yet about why he might have been in Fairfax that night. We know that he obtained his taxi license in 2005, and one member of the forum speculated that he might have taken transfers from C'ville airport to Dulles. Does that sound credible to you?

Not really. That's nowhere near Dulles, not by NoVa standards, where a few miles make a big difference. And it doesn't address the comfort/familiarity model (which, although kinda speculative on my part, is strongly supported by statistics).

When I looked at the area several weeks ago, I noticed two schools with athletic fields, as well as a hotel on Jermantown Road. Probably irrelevant, but when the victim spoke to her assailant prior to the attack, he'd told her he was waiting on a friend. He then pursued and attacked her minutes later. The attack was around 10:00 at night.

I'm still inclined to believe he knew someone there and knew the area. A random foray on Jermantown Road, of all places, makes zero sense to me. On the other hand, while I lived in Fairfax the DC Snipers took a shot at Seven Corners, an extremely densely populated area. So who knows?

QUESTION:

Others have obviously followed this case more closely than I, so maybe I've missed this. Have we seen any information that would explain what Jesse Matthew was doing in Fairfax County in 2005? Job, friends, relatives, anything? Can we otherwise place him there? These kinds of cases usually fit together very neatly once you have a promising suspect to examine.

I agree---my husband grew up in Fairfax and we lived in Fairfax City when we were first married in the mid/late 90's---that is not a location that someone would commit such a bold crime without familiarity and comfort. I have seen speculation that he was there in conjunction with his semi-pro football team, the Silverbacks. I have also seen speculation that he has family there. Whatever the connection, I think he knows his way around and I don't think he popped into Fairfax for the day. I would not be surprised if we learn that he moved there temporarily for work or school (this was only two years after his short-lived stint at CNU so maybe he was trying to take college classes) or some other reason and then moved back to Cville.

Not really. That's nowhere near Dulles, not by NoVa standards, where a few miles make a big difference. And it doesn't address the comfort/familiarity model (which, although kinda speculative on my part, is strongly supported by statistics).

I'm still inclined to believe he knew someone there and knew the area. A random foray on Jermantown Road, of all places, makes zero sense to me. On the other hand, while I lived in Fairfax the DC Snipers took a shot at Seven Corners, an extremely densely populated area. So who knows?

ITA!!! He had to have scoped out that town home community and the two surrounding complexes to know where to stalk and strike. I'd be willing to bet he was staying in one of the two adjacent complexes or at the Marriot (I think it's a Marriot) on the corner. At about the same time there were sexual assaults occurring at the Fair Oaks Mall which is a very few minutes West of Jermantowne Rd and Rt 50.
@Concerned Mama
Re: his Taxi license. Where are you seeing 2005. I have seen it only as early as 2007 when he reappears in the C-ville area. 2005 and 2006 are the two years where it is very hard to figure out where JLM Jr was living.

I agree. I wouldn't lose any sleep if they took him to Guantanamo and water boarded him. That is gentle treatment compared to what he has done to these girls.

I went to college at UVA and live in Fairfax now (pretty close to Dulles actually) and all of this is SPOT ON. Even if he had the occasional taxi route to Dulles, Dulles and where the rape occurred on Jermantown Road aren't exactly across the street from each other. And if he was coming from Charlottesville to this area, it's a straight shot up Route 29 to I-66 (you hit 66 before you get to Fairfax). Alternatively, you can stay on 29 to get into Fairfax County, and then hit I-66, but nothing close to where the rape occurred. I can't think of any routine taxi route at all from Charlottesville that would give him familiarity with the Jermantown Road area. IMO, there is another connection to this area. I can't imagine he just randomly picked an area he was unfamiliar with.

(I was also here during the sniper days. That was scary!)

I went to college at UVA and live in Fairfax now (pretty close to Dulles actually) and all of this is SPOT ON. Even if he had the occasional taxi route to Dulles, Dulles and where the rape occurred on Jermantown Road aren't exactly across the street from each other. And if he was coming from Charlottesville to this area, it's a straight shot up Route 29 to I-66. Alternatively, you can stay on 29 to get into Fairfax County, and then hit I-66, but nothing close to where the rape occurred. I can't think of any routine taxi route at all from Charlottesville that would give him familiarity with the Jermantown Road area. IMO, there is another connection to this area. I can't imagine he just randomly picked an area he was unfamiliar with.

(I was also here during the sniper days. That was scary!)

He is known to have connections in MD, DC, and PA (according to his wanted poster). He told the victim he was waiting for a friend. It is quite likely he was there, just visiting a friend. And, as an SK, he would have been scoping out good locations in advance.

Here's a map from Dulles to the approximate location where the victim was dragged to Charlottesville. https://goo.gl/maps/J0xF8

If he had a run to Dulles from CHO (which happens frequently, and LE would have those records and might be why they're so certain they can convict him), stopping by Fairfax to see a friend on the way home is completely not out of the question.

http://fox6now.com/2014/10/09/sourc...thew-linked-to-2009-death-hannah-graham-case/ - This shows his taxi license from 2005 to 2010 (August 1, 2010, when he asked it be deactivated).

He is known to have connections in MD, DC, and PA (according to his wanted poster). He told the victim he was waiting for a friend. It is quite likely he was there, just visiting a friend. And, as an SK, he would have been scoping out good locations in advance.

Here's a map from Dulles to the approximate location where the victim was dragged to Charlottesville. https://goo.gl/maps/J0xF8

If he had a run to Dulles from CHO (which happens frequently, and LE would have those records and might be why they're so certain they can convict him), stopping by Fairfax to see a friend on the way home is completely not out of the question.

http://fox6now.com/2014/10/09/sourc...thew-linked-to-2009-death-hannah-graham-case/ - This shows his taxi license from 2005 to 2010 (August 1, 2010, when he asked it be deactivated).

Yes - that is totally plausible that the taxi job could bring him up here occasionally. But I agree there would have to be a friend or other connection to put him in the Jermantown Road area. It's not just a part of Fairfax where you would end up if you were going strictly to and from Dulles.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bands0408