JLM: What Do We Know About Him?

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a little insight into knowing a serial rapist -- if this is off-topic please feel free to move or delete. I fully understand that this case is very different.

I was in a relationship with a serial rapist for about six months. Like this case, after the multiple allegations came out, people close him (including myself) were shocked. But after that shock wore off, most of the people who knew him spoke out against him. Anyways, it seemed like he used girlfriends to cover up his crimes. He never harmed me and was always, for the most part, respectful. To outsiders it looked like he was a devoted boyfriend. He was also very outspoken about feminist issues and was actively involved in anti-rape campaigns around campus. All of it was a cover-up. His female friends knew him to be supportive, friendly, and non-threatening. Meanwhile, he was terrorizing and taking advantage of multiple drunk women he met out at parties and bars.

I am feeling for LJ's friends and especially his girlfriend. Some monsters don't reveal themselves to the people they're close to. Some monsters simply build relationships and friendships to cover up for their dangerous behavior.

OH yeah, I totally forgot to add that when the allegations about this guy came out, he deleted is Facebook, Twitter, and messageboard accounts. I wonder why LJ simply changed his picture rather than deactivate?

OH yeah, I totally forgot to add that when the allegations about this guy came out, he deleted is Facebook, Twitter, and messageboard accounts. I wonder why LJ simply changed his picture rather than deactivate?

He didn't leave much up except for his 291 "friends".... maybe he thinks this makes him look like a good guy, popular? IIRC, there were about 300 when I first checked that page; a few must have dropped him.

He didn't leave much up except for his 291 "friends".... maybe he thinks this makes him look like a good guy, popular? IIRC, there were about 300 when I first checked that page; a few must have dropped him.

there were about 320 a couple of days ago. I think he thought he'd be able to keep in touch with everyone when he gets sent down.

JM probably scouted locations passively, while he was on the job. He drove a taxi starting '07. He'd probably note the environs and traffic going through, and take mental notes, maybe checking it online even. That would not stand out for a taxi driver or a hiker. Later, on his own perhaps taking a closer look to scout things out further, maybe even hiking there alone, backpack and all, dry runs, as it were. He'd need places that would fit the bill for him and take into consideration where Morgan Harrington was found. The night he ran into Hannah Graham, since he'd been seen with her, he would probably make the effort to go to one his best locations, one he knew would be hard to find.

Records of his taxi drop-offs in remote low traffic locations, whether he may have been seen again in those areas afterwards by his passengers, records of map searches online. He would probably be doing this alone, since after the Fairfax rape in '05, even his child friends thought the sketch looked like him. He wouldn't want a friend to associate a location and description with him, I would think. He'd would probably, after Morgan Harrington was found so close to home, still have a need to have it where it would be easy for him to sense his thrill as he drove by. I don't know, just thinking out loud.

He didn't cut his dreads to avoid recognition. His persona online is his best self, one that doesn't exist in real. I think he'd rather die then let go of that - a red line in his existence, good leverage.

He didn't cut his dreads to avoid recognition. His persona online is his best self, one that doesn't exist in real. I think he'd rather die then let go of that - a red line in his existence, good leverage.

I have been assuming he wanted people to know he had cool "friends."

Very interesting that he got a serious girlfriend right after MH's murder, and 4 years later, she broke up with him two months before HG's disappearance. Not saying, I think he really didn't commit any crimes between those times. But, it is interesting. I am very curious to know where he was after he left CNU too! Obviously that will come out soon enough, and we'll see if he was responsible for any rapes or murders in that area as well.

Will the surprises ever end? Ugh — JLM was enrolled in a pre-nursing curriculum at Piedmont Virginia Community College:

Matthew continued pursuing education in the fall of 2007, when he enrolled in Piedmont Virginia Community College. He remained for the following two semesters, and returned in fall of 2011, though he never received his associates degree. PVCC President Dr. Frank Friedman said Matthew was on a pre-nursing curriculum, intended for students who were interested in nursing but didn’t already have employment in the field.

http://www.dailyprogress.com/news/l...cfc-49cc-11e4-84a7-001a4bcf6878.html?mode=jqm
Would this have been the springboard to getting the job - ie work experience as a hospital transporter and he settled for that perhaps.

Given what we are learning about JLM Jr, does anyone think that he will admit to anything, ever? If he is linked genetically to any of the open cases, that we are aware of, does anyone think that he will tell where the remains can be found?

I don't get the impression that he will give any details. Yesterday, I was leaning toward some joker that just snaps but after seeing his demeanor in court, seeing so many possible links (here on this thread) and the reports of the dismissed sexual assault at LU; I am almost 100% over feeling that he might have a conscience.

It's hard to know; it will be interesting to see how everything plays out. Undoubtedly, there will be many more charges to come. I fully expect the state to seek the DP once charges are brought for ALL of his crimes. That may compel him to talk. But, in general, it's safe to say that anyone who would harm and murder these young ladies has absolutely no conscience whatsoever. If ever these sexual sadists/murderers do cooperate, they do so purely out of self-interest.

I learned more about JM's temper tonight while he was at Tempo. Can't post because cannot link. But sourced from my local LE who is a friend. Could be gossip, but along same lines of what Barefoot said with harassing women, just a bit more. Nothing major, but interesting. Can delete if it's inappropriate.

Not sure you can post it - but I was wondering why CB was going over JM's behavior (again) in Tempo during his radio show today. It was along the lines of...I have more witnesses that have more to say...but he didn't come out any say anything other than "I haven't written" about their comments. He did say "grabby" and that he had "his hands all over" women. Source being Coy Barefoot, today's show.

Given what we are learning about JLM Jr, does anyone think that he will admit to anything, ever? If he is linked genetically to any of the open cases, that we are aware of, does anyone think that he will tell where the remains can be found?

I don't get the impression that he will give any details. Yesterday, I was leaning toward some joker that just snaps but after seeing his demeanor in court, seeing so many possible links (here on this thread) and the reports of the dismissed sexual assault at LU; I am almost 100% over feeling that he might have a conscience.

I thought the same today. He isn't talking. He knows not to talk. Yet you have the people who say he's 'dumb' or a big 'teddy bear.' He knows very well not to talk. He's much smarter and slick than some are giving him credit for.

Only about 10% of psychopaths murder. So it's not a lot. And not sure he actually falls under being a psychopath. But a psychopath does not have a conscience. (And no, this does not fall under a mental disorder.)

It's hard to know; it will be interesting to see how everything plays out. Undoubtedly, there will be many more charges to come. I fully expect the state to seek the DP once charges are brought for ALL of his crimes. That may compel him to talk. But, in general, it's safe to say that anyone who would harm and murder these young ladies has absolutely no conscience whatsoever. If ever these sexual sadists/murderers do cooperate, they do so purely out of self-interest.
JMO, but we're fairly certain that JLM is no mastermind. However, he was a local hero in C'ville nearly 15 years ago. I think the right person, or combination of right people, could probably appeal to his ego to get him to somehow save that image and be a hero again by revealing the location of bodies. I don't think this would happen before any convictions, though. Best bet, as far as I'm concerned, is that once there's a conviction, or certainty of one, they can take death penalty off the table if he divulges the info.

I am using my cell and dont know how to link and stuff. I was in LJ Matthew Facebook page and going through his friend list for no good reason, anyway he had a group called "Step Up" in Charlottesville in his list. I clicked it and its a rape awareness site and its l about respecting Women and campus rapes etc. And he had this site in his friends list

That would have to be a rapists version of *advertiser censored*, IMO. Not to mention a potential victim list to befriend. There are just so many dots all over the page - if only...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
craig21876