JLM's car

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
http://www.roanoke.com/news/investi...cle_782ed5fa-cb5d-53c6-80f7-356735e60e92.html

This might be appropriate here, too, as it seems to be new information. BBM.

"Jesse Leroy Matthew Jr., 32, who’s been charged in Graham’s disappearance, drove a van cab for Access Taxi in 2009, according to Carter. Court records from incidents in June 2009 and March 2010 list Matthew as working for Access. State records show Matthew had a cab license from 2007 to 2012."

It appears to be the one he's pictured in in April 2010, taking the three women to Foxfield Races. http://www.turnto10.com/story/26671010/past-encounters-with-jesse-matthew-remembered

He was not on duty as a cabbie at that moment (I don't know about that year, but his license expired 12/2010), so was driving it as his personal vehicle that day.
Another poster, above, says JLM Jr had the van before the yellow cab, but the Charlottesville news story of him with the Yellow cab was from 2007. MH disappeared two years later. So, I am wondering if he had a different van before he went solo and after 2007...because news reports are saying that he drove the van/cab the night MH went missing. And the picture of him with the three blondes is said to be from 2010.

http://www.roanoke.com/news/investi...cle_782ed5fa-cb5d-53c6-80f7-356735e60e92.html

This might be appropriate here, too, as it seems to be new information. BBM.

"Jesse Leroy Matthew Jr., 32, who’s been charged in Graham’s disappearance, drove a van cab for Access Taxi in 2009, according to Carter. Court records from incidents in June 2009 and March 2010 list Matthew as working for Access. State records show Matthew had a cab license from 2007 to 2012."

Interesting, until now we have heard he had a cab license only through 2010.

Interesting, until now we have heard he had a cab license only through 2010.

With all this new info it makes you wonder what's really accurate, however I think it could just be possible that more people are starting to talk about it, which in turn gives me hope that they are getting more new leads that will hopefully, eventually, lead to the real task at hand, where is Hannah?

No link, but an article said it was abandoned.

I pray it has not been used

I hope that is the case--JM abandoned it. If so, he did it for a reason. And I pray that reason is the incriminating evidence inside!

MOO

I keep seeing posts on other threads that they've found a van, regarding the cab located by searchers/police. Some have even described the color of the van.

Do we know for sure the cab found was a van and do we know its color? If so, please link to a news source for that; all I've found simply say cab.

Do we know for sure the cab found was a van and do we know its color? If so, please link to a news source for that; all I've found simply say cab.

Good question and point. What I'm seeing is they seized the "cab" JM was driving the night MH went missing and that the Carter guy (who says he remembers LE telling him MH was seen getting in a cab) is saying JM drove a van for the cab company the night MH went missing.

So perhaps it's all speculation based upon what Carter guy is saying. Haven't found any sources yet verifying it as any kind of van or any color.

Thanks for keeping us straight!

He was having his wages garnished.

I wonder if the owner of the cab repoed the cab.

Maybe it was in bad shape (hard to believe, I kniow, when you see how immaculate the orange car is).

If he bought that van from the cab company, it cannot have been a piece of junk to start with.

I wonder why that company went out of business?

I just don't think that van was in his possession. But I am so often wrong

I used Access taxi quite a few times back when it was in business. They were pretty great about getting a taxi dispatched quickly. They didn't operate the way Yellow Cab or any other large national taxi companies did. I remember back in 2010, my husband and I needed a cab on St. Patty's Day. We called all the other taxi companies and were quoted with a 45 minute wait. We called Access, and were told the driver would be there in ten minutes, and lo and behold he showed up, in a LIMO cab, and told us it would be the same fare as a regular cab. We were pretty stoked. Most of the drivers carried business cards and handed them out. The cabs ranged from anything from a limo, to a sedan or minivan. My husband and I used to call one cabbie whose card we had on a regular basis since he was always reliable and quick to show up. I have hesitated to post this before, but JM had been my cabbie with Access before, and I even had his # and business card on my fridge. Luckily, he was not the one we continued to call for rides. But he did drive us more than once, and luckily I was always in his cab with my husband. FWIW, he didn't behave weird to us at all. He played music and took us to our location and was mostly quiet and courteous. It really freaks me out to know that I was in his cab before.

I used Access taxi quite a few times back when it was in business. They were pretty great about getting a taxi dispatched quickly. They didn't operate the way Yellow Cab or any other large national taxi companies did. I remember back in 2010, my husband and I needed a cab on St. Patty's Day. We called all the other taxi companies and were quoted with a 45 minute wait. We called Access, and were told the driver would be there in ten minutes, and lo and behold he showed up, in a LIMO cab, and told us it would be the same fare as a regular cab. We were pretty stoked. Most of the drivers carried business cards and handed them out. The cabs ranged from anything from a limo, to a sedan or minivan. My husband and I used to call one cabbie whose card we had on a regular basis since he was always reliable and quick to show up. I have hesitated to post this before, but JM had been my cabbie with Access before, and I even had his # and business card on my fridge. Luckily, he was not the one we continued to call for rides. But he did drive us more than once, and luckily I was always in his cab with my husband. FWIW, he didn't behave weird to us at all. He played music and took us to our location and was mostly quiet and courteous. It really freaks me out to think about the fact that I was in his cab before.

OMG!

Do you remember if the cab was fairly new? I assume they did not allow junkers

FWIW, he didn't behave weird to us at all. He played music and took us to our location and was mostly quiet and courteous. It really freaks me out to think about the fact that I was in his cab before.

Do you remember if it was a minivan? Or what he looked like then?

Good question and point. What I'm seeing is they seized the "cab" JM was driving the night MH went missing and that the Carter guy (who says he remembers LE telling him MH was seen getting in a cab) is saying JM drove a van for the cab company the night MH went missing.

So perhaps it's all speculation based upon what Carter guy is saying. Haven't found any sources yet verifying it as any kind of van or any color.

Thanks for keeping us straight!

Thank you. It's not me trying to keep you guys straight. I just find it a bit confusing and wondered if I'd missed some sources (which is quite possible). Is Carter the one who said JLM was questioned back in '09 regarding Morgan's disappearance? The police came out with a pretty strong statement denying that, so I wonder if JLM told Carter he'd been questioned? I can't think of a reason Carter would deliberately lie about that.

Uber requires drivers ' cars to be in excellent condition. I don't think JM 's car would have qualified. You people bmm. I'm sitting here, thinking about JM and Uber, then I read these threads and ya'll are talking about it already!

Would it be legal to drive a cab as your personal vehicle and take fares in the process?

Doesn't appear so.

State regulations http://www.dmv.virginia.gov/commercial/#mcs/programs/intrastate/taxicab.asp

City regulations:

Sec. 32-3. Registration of drivers.

(a)

No person shall drive a motor vehicle for hire, including any taxicab, in the city until he has been registered by the chief of police, as follows:

(1)

On or before January 1st of each calendar year, or no later than March 1 of the calendar year if the driver was registered with the police during the preceding calendar year, a person who drives, or intends to drive a passenger motor vehicle for hire, including a taxicab, within the city shall apply to the chief of police for a registration.

(2)

Each applicant shall demonstrate to the satisfaction of the chief of police his or her moral and business integrity, ability to safely and legally drive a passenger motor vehicle for hire, including a taxicab, and his knowledge of city traffic laws and ordinances and of the provisions of this chapter. The chief of police shall conduct an investigation with respect to each applicant's application and qualifications.

a.

Each applicant shall state on his application whether he is self-employed or employed by a taxicab or other type of operator. A self-employed applicant shall present a copy of a current business license authorizing him to do business in the city. An applicant employed by an operator shall present a signed statement attesting to such employment.

b.

If the chief of police is satisfied that an applicant meets the requirements of this section and of any regulations promulgated pursuant to section 32-5 of this chapter, and that the applicant is eighteen years of age or older, then registration shall be granted.

(b)

A registration card shall be issued for each driver registered, and shall exhibit the name and a valid mailing address for the driver.

(c)

For drivers' registrations, a fee of ten dollars ($10.00) for the first registration granted to each driver, and five dollars ($5.00) for each driver's annual registration after the first, shall be paid by the driver to the city.

(d)

No person shall permit any passenger motor vehicle for hire, including any taxicab, owned or controlled by him to be driven in the performance of any transportation service in the city by a person who has not been registered by the chief of police as required by this chapter.

(e)

A driver's registration shall be subject to suspension and/or revocation, as follows:

(1)

If the chief of police receives information suggesting that a taxicab driver registered under this chapter may pose a threat to the health, safety, welfare or comfort of passengers or the general public, he shall give such driver not less than ten (10) days' notice, by certified mail, to appear at a hearing to show cause why the driver's registration should not be denied, suspended or revoked. The required notice shall specify the nature of the information received by the police chief, a notice that the failure to respond may result in the denial, suspension or revocation of the driver's registration, and shall inform the driver that he may present information at a hearing, by witnesses or otherwise. The required notice shall also specify a hearing date, not to be sooner than ten (10) days following the date of the notice.

(2)

If, after providing the driver with notice and an opportunity to be heard, the police chief determines that the driver poses a threat to the health, safety, welfare or comfort of passengers or the general public, the police chief may revoke or suspend the registration in question, as may be appropriate under the circumstances.

(3)

The chief of police may revoke any driver's registration for any cause which would have been grounds for refusal of such registration, whether such cause arose before or after the granting of such registration.

(4)

A taxicab driver whose registration is revoked or suspended or an applicant who is denied registration by the chief of police shall have the right to appeal to the city manager, by following the procedure set forth in section 32-2(d)(2) of this article.

(5)

The suspension or revocation of any registration shall be in addition to any other penalty imposed for any violation of this chapter.

(5-19-97, § 1; 9-16-02(3))

Sec. 32-4. Bond or insurance required of operators.

Every person operating motor vehicles or taxis for hire within the city shall be required to give a satisfactory bond in the sum of fifty thousand dollars ($50,000.00), to cover any liability that might result to persons or property from such operations; provided, that such bond shall not be required when the owner of such vehicle shall take out and keep in force public liability and property damage insurance in some company authorized to do business in this state on each motor vehicle as follows:

(1)

Twenty thousand dollars ($20,000.00) for loss sustained by the insured by reason of bodily injury to or death of any one person in one accident.

(2)

Forty thousand dollars ($40,000.00) for loss sustained by the insured by reason of bodily injury to or death of more than one person in any one accident.

(3)

Five thousand dollars ($5,000.00) for damages to property of any person other than the insured. Such policies or certificates thereof shall be deposited with the chief of police.

(5-19-97, § 1)

Sec. 32-5. Rules and regulations of city manager.

The city manager, with the concurrence of the city council, may make and promulgate such rules and regulations, not in conflict with this chapter, as the manager may deem necessary to control the operation of passenger motor vehicles for hire, including taxicabs.

(5-19-97, § 1)

Sec. 32-6. Inspection and maintenance of vehicles.

Every passenger motor vehicle for hire, including every taxicab, driven or used for the transportation of passengers within the city shall be maintained by the owner thereof in a good and safe condition at all times.

https://library.municode.com/HTML/12078/level3/CO_CH32VEHI_ARTIINGE.html

Sec. 32-37. Equipment; appearance; construction; maintenance.

(a)

In addition to equipment required of motor vehicles by the Code of Virginia, every taxicab registered pursuant to this chapter, whether driven or operated as a taxicab or not:

(1)

Shall display taxicab vehicle and driver registration cards, which shall face the passengers and be so located as to be at all times in plain view of such passengers.

(2)

Shall be equipped with a heater in good working order sufficient to heat the interior of the taxicab adequately in cold weather.

(3)

Shall be equipped with seat belts for all passengers.

(4)

Shall not be equipped with shades or curtains which can be manipulated in such a way as to shield the occupants or the driver from observation or obstruct the rear-view window.

(5)

Shall be either of the built-for-the-purpose or of the closed or sedan type and shall be equipped with at least two (2) doors for the entrance and exit of passengers, in addition to the doors which give access to the driver's compartment. Passenger doors shall be so constructed that they will remain securely fastened during normal operation, but may be readily opened by a passenger in case of emergency. Each door shall be constructed with a double or safety lock.

(6)

Shall be equipped with approved safety nonshatterable glass in the windshield and all windows. The center partition, if any, between the driver's compartment and the passenger compartment, shall be of this type glass or plastic.

(7)

Shall be equipped with a standard speedometer properly installed, maintained in good working order and exposed to view and properly lighted at night. No taxicab shall be driven or operated in taxicab service while such speedometer is out of repair or disconnected.

(8)

Shall not be equipped with any lights or signal devices except as allowed by the Code of Virginia, as amended.

(9)

Shall be equipped with a taximeter as prescribed by this chapter.

(10)

Shall be equipped with an "on call" sign, to be used when the taxicab is en route to pick up a passenger or awaiting a passenger at a designated place in response to the request of the passenger. This sign shall be visible from the street and placed in the lower right-hand corner of the front windshield or upon the right-hand sun visor.

(11)

Shall be kept in a clean and sanitary condition, and shall be swept and dusted at least once each day. At least once every seven (7) days the interior shall be cleansed thoroughly with suitable antiseptic solution.

(12)

Shall be painted with a distinctive color scheme and insignia, which may be registered with the chief of police.

(13)

Shall have painted on the right-hand side of the exterior thereof, in letters at least three (3) inches in height, the name and telephone number (or a valid mailing address in lieu of the telephone number) of the owner of the vehicle.

(14)

Shall be maintained in a good and safe operating condition at all times.

(15)

Shall be thoroughly and carefully inspected by the owner.

(b)

Once the owner of a taxicab or taxicab fleet has registered a color scheme and insignia, no person shall be permitted to drive or operate under different ownership a taxicab having a color scheme and insignia so similar as to be confusing to the public.

(5-19-97, § 1)

Sec. 32-38. Use for unlawful purposes.

No owner or driver of a taxicab shall permit the vehicle to be used for unlawful purposes or knowingly transport persons therein to places for such purposes.

(5-19-97, § 1)

Sec. 32-39. Occupancy of taxicab stands.

No taxicab shall be placed upon or occupy a public vehicle taxicab stand except for the purpose of being held forth for hire. Vehicles shall be placed on public stands only at the rear (approach) end and shall be moved toward and to the front of stands immediately if space is available or when space becomes available by the departure or movement of preceding vehicles. When a taxicab stand occupied by the full number of vehicles authorized for such stand, no taxicab shall double park, loiter or wait nearby for the purpose of occupying space on such stand.

https://library.municode.com/HTML/12078/level4/CO_CH32VEHI_ARTIITA_DIV1VE.html

I keep seeing posts on other threads that they've found a van, regarding the cab located by searchers/police. Some have even described the color of the van.

Coy Barefoot referred to the cab as a "van taxi" on his Facebook post of 9:57 pm yesterday (10-9). I believe Coy referred to the cab this same way on Wolf Blitzer's show last night.

I am probably the only one who has referred to a brown van, and I did see that on the Internet yesterday or today, but now cannot find it again. Will look for it more tomorrow morning, just can't stay awake any longer tonight.

http://www.cnn.com/go/?sessionToken=...Dtq1ycDGUG5gqJ

Coy Barefoot is on Situation room (you can see this report anytime today, just sign in and click on Situation Room on the drop down left side.)

Coy is reporting in 09 JM lived in a apt complex in Charlotte, driving a cab for Access Taxi, it was a light brown van cab. There are eye witnesses who say that MH was last seen getting into a van. Sources have told Coy they have seized that same van cab that JM was driving Oct 2009. and we can assume that investigations will begin immediately into what they might find in that cab.

Coy spoke to a person who worked along side JM for many years, COy was with this person this morning, getting some of this persons memories of what took place and what JM was like, and while we were talking, this persons cell phone rang, and the VA St police were on the line asking to speak with him immediately when he was done with me. Coy can confirm St Police are reaching out to former employees of that cab co. Trying to learn exactly where JM was on the night MH went missing and what his behavior was like in the wake of that incident. Report for the first time, when the wanted police sketch was released, Police were searching for a man related to the abduction of MH and this sketch was released and everybody that worked with JM started teasing him and saying he looked exactly like that guy in the sketch. I asked this person how did JM react, the person said some days he would laugh other days he was very quiet. They were all convinced that he looked exactly like the guy in the sketch.

That's all of Coy's report...

BTW, This was Breaking news on CNN....

Ok, here's a post that also references last night's Wolf Blitzer show on CNN, same show I heard on XM radio last night, and this is where "brown" came from.

Hope that clears it up. G'nite.

Police want to talk to manager of taxi service that employed Matthew

http://www.timesdispatch.com/news/s...cle_a78d0cea-42dd-5524-b080-d298f0ad9b07.html

Lots of info in this article re: JM's taxi license, employment, and employer.

"Poole managed Access Taxi, where Matthew worked as a cab driver in 2009, the year Morgan Harrington disappeared. Matthew purchased from Poole the van cab he drove for Access, the associate said."

That's rather vague. Did JLM buy the van after Morgan disappeared?

http://www.timesdispatch.com/news/state-regional/police-want-to-talk-to-manager-of-taxi-service-that/article_a78d0cea-42dd-5524-b080-d298f0ad9b07.html
Melvin Carter Jr., the owner of Carter’s Taxi in Charlottesville, said police have questioned 20 cab drivers since Graham vanished and they also interviewed drivers following Harrington’s disappearance. He said a police detective told him at the time that Harrington was seen climbing into a taxi Oct. 17, 2009, the night she vanished.
This is interesting! However, in one video, it was stated by the taxi company itself, that JM was indeed driving a cab the night MH disappeared, but in this article it says that that info was unclear. I feel they have been on to him for some time and I also feel that the sketch of the fairfax rapist is JM and they have known that too, until now they just didn't have anything to compare the DNA to and now they do. JMO but I feel it's all spelled out in everything that we know, you just have to read between the lines.

"Poole managed Access Taxi, where Matthew worked as a cab driver in 2009, the year Morgan Harrington disappeared. Matthew purchased from Poole the van cab he drove for Access, the associate said."

That's rather vague. Did JLM buy the van after Morgan disappeared?
Good point! And if so I have a feeling it was too tainted not to at that point.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lawlessinvestigates
Back