JoePa's Statue

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves

What, if anything, should be done with JoePa's memorial statue?

• Leave it as is, and where it is.

Votes: 8 4.9%
  • Leave it as is, but move it to a different place on-campus.

Votes: 4 2.5%
  • Leave it as is, but move it to a different place off campus.

Votes: 4 2.5%
  • Take it down, move it way off campus, let us never learn what became of it.

Votes: 35 21.5%
  • Melt it down, sell it off, and donate the proceeds to abuse survivors.

Votes: 89 54.6%
  • store it in a warehouse away from public view

Votes: 17 10.4%
  • Give it to the Paterno family.

Votes: 6 3.7%

• Total voters
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mAPc3Eu9LIc&feature=player_embedded"]Joe Paterno Statue Removed - YouTube[/ame]

Twitter Reaction on Philly.com
http://www.philly.com/philly/blogs/pattisonave/163336786.html

From Centre Daily News
By 7:45 a.m. this morning, jackhammers rattled behind a metal fence covered by a blue tarp. The statue was tied to a forklift. The fence shielded the statue, covered in clear plastic and protective packaging materials.

The statue was removed at 8:24 a.m. The forklift carried it into the stadium's Gate A as about a dozen workers followed.

A moment later, a man in the crowd started a "We are Penn State" chant. After it finished, another man yelled, "We love you, Joe."

An hour later, Penn State workers began removing lettering and plaques from the wall behind where the statue stood.

Read more here: http://www.centredaily.com/2012/07/...surround-joe.html#storylink=cpy#storylink=cpy

I wonder if maybe they took the football players off the wall in anticipation of the NCAA sanctions that are supposed to be announced on Monday. Maybe they are thinking they won't have much of a football program for a while so it'd be kind of weird to have the players up there.

I think they decided to just dismantle the whole thing. The statue, the players, the quote from Paterno. I don't think it has anything to do with the NCAA; in fact I believe I read that the NCAA announced it is handing down sanctions tomorrow AFTER the statue was taken down.

Of course, someone at PSU might have been alerted to that before the announcement was made.

Excellent point from article (BBM) and I agree with him wholeheartedly: PSU has a lonnnnnnnnnng way to go :

"It's not for me to judge the rightness or the wrongness of it," said Barnes, whose wife, Gayle, was one of 12 jurors who sent Jerry Sandusky to jail for life last month. "But I feel a bit betrayed because it's another mididle-of-the-night move.

"If this is the new transparency, I think we have a long, long, long way to go to try to restore the faith of the community, the world and the Penn State alumni."

These guys are good.
http://onwardstate.com/

I followed them on twitter since November. They try hard to be unbiased. Good stuff.

Some of the best I've seen.

ETA: I'm a PSU employee.

These guys are good.
http://onwardstate.com/

I followed them on twitter since November. They try hard to be unbiased. Good stuff.

Some of the best I've seen.

ETA: I'm a PSU employee.

Seems like everyone is trying so hard to look out for the victims. The comments below were posted after the article "Possible penalties for Penn State":

"Don't let Sandysky's poor victims feel guilt over NCAA sanctions against Penn State!" :what:

"The amazing thing is that hurting Penn State may even hurt them. From what I've read, the men who were abused have been at Penn State Football games as recently as this past fall. They still love Penn State football, and when people claim that Penn Staters have lost sight of the victims, you need only look at what they are asking for. They don't ask for anything that will help the victims, only hurt Penn State." :what:

Document this, everyone, because it doesn't happen very often: WORDS FAIL ME.

I have to go lie down now because my head is in serious danger of exploding. :banghead:

Pennlive.com has a comment from Paterno family saying that taking down the statue doesn't serve the Sandusky victims. They also go on to say that Joe Paterno has not received due process.

:eek: ..... :ohwow: ..... :turkey: ...... :scream: ....:thud:

http://collegefootball.scout.com/

The images of the football players were removed also. I was hoping they would stay. After all it should be about the athletes, not a false god.

I saved the picture but don't know how to do a screen shot here.

moo

wm

Duh, I dunno why I didn't check DM first. They always have the best photos, IMO

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...nn-State-removes-monument-Beaver-Stadium.html

I had no expectation that the football players would be removed from the wall - it was surprising to see this.

It suggests to me that the powers that be at the university do not have a clear picture of what is going on - in reality the players didn't have anything to do with Paterno's failure - so why take them down?

On another note - good to see Thought Fox is back!!!

omg the Paterno family just doesn't get it, do they? they need to seriously stfu and withdraw form the public eye. They are not gaining brownie points by pretending their familiar was anything but a pedophile enabler.

A jury spoke
The Freeh report spoke
The NCAA spoke

Now the Paternos need to shut the f. up

It's not just the Paterno family. There is widespread indignation among Paternophiles.

It's embarrassing. Among PSU employees are members of both camps.

ETA: before any of that, the Grand Jury Presentment spoke volumes

:clap: :clap: :clap:

That statue remaining would be a monument to Penn State fans' denial, not their revered football program. Seems many of the fervent don't know what's good for them... Hey, they can have their little shrines in their garages, their Man Caves, they can still wear their Paterno gear, they'll just look like diehard azzes. lol

Regarding the fussy Paterno family, pipe down, already. Your scepter and crown have been passed on... let it go. Consider yourselves lucky your sick husband/father wasn't thrown in jail for aiding and abetting a felon. :moo: moo

omg the Paterno family just doesn't get it, do they? they need to seriously stfu and withdraw form the public eye. They are not gaining brownie points by pretending their familiar was anything but a pedophile enabler.

A jury spoke
The Freeh report spoke
The NCAA spoke

Now the Paternos need to shut the f. up

You got it, Kona-Baby! Short and er, um, sweet! :seeya: HiYa, sea-chiq, it's good to see you on this forum!
icon10.gif

:clap: :clap: :clap:

That statue remaining would be a monument to Penn State fans' denial, not their revered football program. Seems many of the fervent don't know what's good for them... Hey, they can have their little shrines in their garages, their Man Caves, they can still wear their Paterno gear, they'll just look like diehard azzes. lol

Regarding the fussy Paterno family, pipe down, already. Your scepter and crown have been passed on... let it go.
Consider yourselves lucky your sick husband/father wasn't thrown in jail for aiding and abetting a felon. :moo: moo

:floorlaugh:

Hi Quiche! :seeya: Great reading you again! Your post made me laugh!!!

JMO, but I think the P family is REacting in a desperate attempt to guard JP's estate from civil suits. Does anyone in PA know if survivors can file civil suits against JP's estate based on 1) JP's firing 2) the Freeh report 3) the NCAA sanctions?

wm

:floorlaugh:

Hi Quiche! :seeya: Great reading you again! Your post made me laugh!!!

JMO, but I think the P family is REacting in a desperate attempt to guard JP's estate from civil suits. Does anyone in PA know if survivors can file civil suits against JP's estate based on 1) JP's firing 2) the Freeh report 3) the NCAA sanctions?

wm

I don't know for sure because I am not a lawyer, but I would guess his estate is certainly going to be fair game when all the civil litigation starts. I would also guess the assets of Schultz, Spanier, Curley and of course Sandusky, and maybe even some Second Mile peeps will all be fair game.

I had no expectation that the football players would be removed from the wall - it was surprising to see this.

It suggests to me that the powers that be at the university do not have a clear picture of what is going on - in reality the players didn't have anything to do with Paterno's failure - so why take them down?

On another note - good to see Thought Fox is back!!!
I agree, take his name off the library instead!

I don't know for sure because I am not a lawyer, but I would guess his estate is certainly going to be fair game when all the civil litigation starts. I would also guess the assets of Schultz, Spanier, Curley and of course Sandusky, and maybe even some Second Mile peeps will all be fair game.

I looked at the Second Mile bylaws, they have an indemnification clause and liability insurance.

Anyone prior to 1998 can't even dream of suing PSU and I don't think it would be until after 2001 that anyone would have a realistic shot.

I looked at the Second Mile bylaws, they have an indemnification clause and liability insurance.

Anyone prior to 1998 can't even dream of suing PSU and I don't think it would be until after 2001 that anyone would have a realistic shot.

I think as far as civil suits go, they probably can't go back much farther. They'd have to branch off of the convictions, in my opinion.

Although the Brown family successfully sued following the non conviction of OJ Simpson.

Some guidelines for this case are being written as they go along. It's virtually unprecedented.

So far, I haven't liked very much about 2012. I won't be sorry to see it go.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jasonax3
Back