JoePa's Statue

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves

What, if anything, should be done with JoePa's memorial statue?

• Leave it as is, and where it is.

Votes: 8 4.9%
  • Leave it as is, but move it to a different place on-campus.

Votes: 4 2.5%
  • Leave it as is, but move it to a different place off campus.

Votes: 4 2.5%
  • Take it down, move it way off campus, let us never learn what became of it.

Votes: 35 21.5%
  • Melt it down, sell it off, and donate the proceeds to abuse survivors.

Votes: 89 54.6%
  • store it in a warehouse away from public view

Votes: 17 10.4%
  • Give it to the Paterno family.

Votes: 6 3.7%

• Total voters
I think President Obama needs to go on national TV and say, "Governor Corbett, tear down this statue!"

Id like to see it be brought down by any means possible. Just be gone.

jmo

There are beautiful little side garden, tree lined areas outside of the Penn State library. The statue or better yet, another art piece of the Paterno family choosing, could eventually be placed into one of those areas quietly. For now, though, it needs to be placed into storage if for no other reason than the prevention of vandalism. Then the school can save more bad PR and take all the time they need to decide the appropriateness of any future display.

jmo

There are beautiful little side garden, tree lined areas outside of the Penn State library. The statue or better yet, another art piece of the Paterno family choosing, could eventually be placed into one of those areas quietly. For now, though, it needs to be placed into storage if for no other reason than the prevention of vandalism. Then the school can save more bad PR and take all the time they need to decide the appropriateness of any future display.

jmo
Why would it be more appropriate by the library? (I know the Paternos donated much money to that facility, but still.) He covered for a child molester and allowed the situation to proliferate. It's appropriate nowhere. It should be disassembled (Joe himself dissembled well) and tossed. None of this "oh, poor little Penn State, take your time, hon." The stain of the inaction spread campus-wide.

jmo

I agree. Paterno did a lot of good, off the football field. It does not outweigh the bad, but it mitigates the bad a bit. He earned that prominence that justified the statue be placed, but he lost most of it by not reporting Victim 2.

Respectfully, why? I'm sincerely interested in your opposing viewpoint.
Lots of reasons...too numerous to get into at this hour...but if I had to pick one...I'm sad for the students there. I know many would like to see it stay.

It looks like it's coming down today:

From The Associated Press Twitter feed a few minutes ago:

The Associated Press ‏@AP

BREAKING: Penn State says the statue of famed coach Joe Paterno is coming down from outside stadium.

From a TV station in Altoona, PA:

WTAJ NEWS

BREAKING: Crews have arrived to begin the removal of the Paterno statue. We have a crew there, will update with pictures. Stay with us all day for the latest.

PaternoStatueDown-1.jpg

Penn State President Rodney Erickson Issues Statement as Removal of Joe Paterno Statue Begins

http://www.statecollege.com/news/lo...removal-of-joe-paterno-statue-begins-1096098/

AP story is saying that the statue is covered in a blue tarp..........covered in shame? Maybe it should stay that way for a few days.

At www.charlotteobserver.com they had up a live webcam and you could see and here what was going on. (over the blue tarped fence)

The wrapped statue was cut down, laid over and then taken away on a tractor or some type of equipment.

Some observers could be heard exclaiming "We are Penn State".

i really do hate to say this, and i believe they were going to take it down anyway, but it is a propitious time to take the thing down, considering the depressive effect the batman shooting has had in the country. the students might think twice about expending a lot of energy over this issue at this sad time.

Why would it be more appropriate by the library? (I know the Paternos donated much money to that facility, but still.) He covered for a child molester and allowed the situation to proliferate. It's appropriate nowhere. It should be disassembled (Joe himself dissembled well) and tossed. None of this "oh, poor little Penn State, take your time, hon." The stain of the inaction spread campus-wide.

That's why I believe another art piece placed by the family would be far more appropriate. That way the family can view it as a memorial if that is what they want it to be, but the public can have the comfort of simply seeing a attractive out door art piece or fountain or whatever might be chosen. This would mean NO PLAQUE or dedication ceremony. They obviously donated money for a library...that's great, good in its own way....but other than that, its time to dismantle and debunk the saintly image.

jmo

i really do hate to say this, and i believe they were going to take it down anyway, but it is a propitious time to take the thing down, considering the depressive effect the batman shooting has had in the country. the students might think twice about expending a lot of energy over this issue at this sad time.

IMO

Unfortunately, the decision is NOT tied to respect for a national tragedy at all. The decision is purely in preparation for what they already know is going to happen tomorrow....the NCAA sanctions against Penn State are scheduled to be announced THE DAY AFTER the statue is removed. It seems obvious the news is not going to be good, and the administration already knows what is coming.

jmo

Such a relief that it is finally gone. I just hope we don't start seeing big protests taking hold. I've heard just about enough of pro Paterno BS to last a lifetime (I live in PA).

It looks like it's coming down today:

From The Associated Press Twitter feed a few minutes ago:

The Associated Press ‏@AP

BREAKING: Penn State says the statue of famed coach Joe Paterno is coming down from outside stadium.

From a TV station in Altoona, PA:

WTAJ NEWS

BREAKING: Crews have arrived to begin the removal of the Paterno statue. We have a crew there, will update with pictures. Stay with us all day for the latest.

:seeya: Thanks for this update !

JMO and MOO ... but A M E N !

The statue should be removed !

:woohoo::woohoo::woohoo:

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members