JoePa's Statue

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves

What, if anything, should be done with JoePa's memorial statue?

• Leave it as is, and where it is.

Votes: 8 4.9%
  • Leave it as is, but move it to a different place on-campus.

Votes: 4 2.5%
  • Leave it as is, but move it to a different place off campus.

Votes: 4 2.5%
  • Take it down, move it way off campus, let us never learn what became of it.

Votes: 35 21.5%
  • Melt it down, sell it off, and donate the proceeds to abuse survivors.

Votes: 89 54.6%
  • store it in a warehouse away from public view

Votes: 17 10.4%
  • Give it to the Paterno family.

Votes: 6 3.7%

• Total voters

The really sad part?

The comments that follow this article with all their outrage at the CDT's stance. :what:

Not directed at you, J.J. Just jumping off.

ETA: Back after reading further: Good grief. The Joepologists wouldn't recognize logic if it hit them in the face with a wet dishrag.

The JP cultists are actually starting to scare me, at least a little.

The really sad part?

The comments that follow this article with all their outrage at the CDT's stance. :what:

Not directed at you, J.J. Just jumping off.

ETA: Back after reading further: Good grief. The Joepologists wouldn't recognize logic if it hit them in the face with a wet dishrag.

The JP cultists are actually starting to scare me, at least a little.

Some of the JoePa supporters have lost sight to the point that they are acting like the man is some kind of untouchable god. It's horribly sad and sickening...

I ponder who "WE" is, on the banner.

How much you want to bet that that statue has around the clock protection, now.

Seeing the reaction to when this all came down, rallies on the guy's front yard, riots in the streets, etc., I would be concerned about the local reaction if they did in fact take it down. There is a cult like following for JP at State College (I saw one comment to an article say that 'JP was a man, not a God', which to me is ironic because for years and year JP has been treated like a God there) and you can bet there will be a huge pushback if they remove the statue. It's mentioned above they would move it not because it's the right thing to do, but due to public pressure. JP supporters would probably agree and that would inflame them even more.

I think that statue has to come down. Any further pandering to the personality cult around Joe Paterno after the Freeh report is unjustifiable. Paterno wasn't a flawed hero, he was a selfish old fool who enabled a paedophile in order to protect a football programme, then negotiated a fat pay off for himself when it could be covered up no longer. He doesn't deserve a statue, his legacy is shameful.

Surely Penn State has an athletic/football memorial hall. If they don't build one tracing the football history either separately or along with other sports. Remove the statute to temporary storage. Subsequently, if deemed appropriate depending on what else comes out, etc. ,then an option could be to have the statue inside....that way fans who want to recall Paterno's greateness as a coach can. The ones who don't can pass it by. But folks going to the games won't be forced to see it. The move would buy the BOT trustees time to ponder future actions....

I said it before. Yes, Paterno had some accomplishments and did a lot of good, but that does not outweigh the bad.

Move the statue, either near the Library or, preferably, outside the window to the President's Office. Let it be a reminder.

just reported on ESPN (SEC media days show) that Penn State announced they will make a decision on the Paterno statute in 7 to 10 days.

( well to me that means they are going to do something with it..otherwise, why make an announcement that you are going to make an announcement....they are softening up the faityhful. get ready).

also the same news bit said thaqt Spanier has dropped his lawsuit against Penn State.....wonder what he sued them for?

just reported on ESPN (SEC media days show) that Penn State announced they will make a decision on the Paterno statute in 7 to 10 days.

( well to me that means they are going to do something with it..otherwise, why make an announcement that you are going to make an announcement....they are softening up the faityhful. get ready).

also the same news bit said thaqt Spanier has dropped his lawsuit against Penn State.....wonder what he sued them for?

IIRC he was sueing for the emails.

If they're going to take it down, I'm sure they'll want to do it before the students return for fall semester.

I ponder who "WE" is, on the banner.

How much you want to bet that that statue has around the clock protection, now.
Yeah, it has round the clock protection......by TWO people. Notice that the article spins that numerous people are "protecting" the statue. In ONE place in the article, it mentions that it is only two people. I'd be willing to bet that these are not students as the article suggests.
http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/c...terno-statue-beaver-stadium-article-1.1116986

The article also spins incorrect facts about "Paternoville". The STUDENT organizers changed the name to Nittanyville.
http://thequad.blogs.nytimes.com/2012/07/18/penn-states-paternoville-to-become-nittanyville/

I think that if they don't tear it down, it will be torn down. They can't afford to guard it indefinitely.

On another note, I heard that when Sandusky was being into his new home in prison, the inmates serenaded him with lyrics from Pink Floyd's The Wall - Teachers leave them kids alone! Hey! Teachers! Leave them kids alone! Sadly, I'm sure he will remain in protective custody for his entire sentence.

I like to think the WE in the banner is all of us adults who have survived being molested as a child. :) I would be so happy to knock the head off that statue by myself!!!

Yeah, yeah, yeah!

(Is there an applause smiley?)

From link:

Penn State has said it will make a decision soon on whether it will allow the statue of Joe Paterno to stay or go. But, really now, how long should it take a university to determine if it wants to keep a statue honoring the man who willingly allowed a child rapist to roam its football facility with the boys he victimized for 13 years?

Penn State's so-called leaders should have made this decision as soon as they read the Louis Freeh Report last Thursday. Their wait has been agonizing; their paralysis embarrassing. As their inaction drags on, hour by frustrating hour, it's becoming crystal clear why the Jerry Sandusky scandal happened at Penn State:

There apparently is no one in a position of power at Penn State who isn't under the spell of Nittany Lions football — back then, and even now.

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/colu...usky-paterno-statue-lack-of-action/56321182/1

I heard they're going to keep the statue.

They're just going to turn it a bit so it can look the other way.

Sad to hear that. I think it is a total slap in the face for his statute to sit there for all to see and to remember what happened or didn't happen. Take it down and remove it from anyone's view.

I think that if they don't tear it down, it will be torn down. They can't afford to guard it indefinitely.

On another note, I heard that when Sandusky was being into his new home in prison, the inmates serenaded him with lyrics from Pink Floyd's The Wall - Teachers leave them kids alone! Hey! Teachers! Leave them kids alone! Sadly, I'm sure he will remain in protective custody for his entire sentence.

Nobody is guarding the statue. Sorry, I was joking in that post. The article states that two students? pitched a tent near the statue. I doubt that the pitched tent remained there very long. I also doubt that any students took a tent with them to college and the vast majority of students at PSU would purchase beer instead of a tent if they had cash, so the tent dwellers probably aren't students, in my worthless opinion.

Sad to hear that. I think it is a total slap in the face for his stature to sit there for all to see and to remember what happened or didn't happen. Take it down and remove it from anyone's view.

That was a joke. JoePa "turned the other way".

I think they should sell the statue on Ebay and use the proceeds to somehow start an investigation of what Sandusky did INSIDE The Second Mile and also on the admins at that facility. There are a lot more victims of Jerry (according to all the studies on fixated pedophiles) and they deserve justice. Some may be mentally disabled and can't speak for themselves (TSM had treatment programs for all types of children).

Yeah, yeah, yeah!

(Is there an applause smiley?)

From link:

Penn State has said it will make a decision soon on whether it will allow the statue of Joe Paterno to stay or go. But, really now, how long should it take a university to determine if it wants to keep a statue honoring the man who willingly allowed a child rapist to roam its football facility with the boys he victimized for 13 years?

Penn State's so-called leaders should have made this decision as soon as they read the Louis Freeh Report last Thursday. Their wait has been agonizing; their paralysis embarrassing. As their inaction drags on, hour by frustrating hour, it's becoming crystal clear why the Jerry Sandusky scandal happened at Penn State:

There apparently is no one in a position of power at Penn State who isn't under the spell of Nittany Lions football — back then, and even now.

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/colu...usky-paterno-statue-lack-of-action/56321182/1

I totally agree. It is not surprising to me that it is taking so long for this decision. Look at the inaction and indecision on the abuse of the victims of Jerry Sandusky? How many victims would have been saved if Joe Paterno had acted on the behalf of the innocent little boys instead of in the interest of the football program?

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jasonax3
Back