Jose "Quite Frankly" Baez

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
To be frank, quite frankly, I like pasta. Not to be racist, but I don't like wontons or Chinese food. And those jeans really do make your *advertiser censored* look fat, no offense. Probably all the wontons and pasta.

Okay, your post should have come with a snort warning. Not the most attractive thing at work, lol. jk, that one cracked my fat *advertiser censored* up!

Reminds me of Mark Twain saying "I never write 'metropolis' when I can get paid as much for writing 'city'."

YES! I did a paper in high school about Mark Twain and I focused specifically on how big words seemed to choke him.

I LOVE this thread, it's very timely because I was just talking to my family about this very topic. I was wondering if anybody knew a "name" for this phenomenon, it's not 'buzz words' which implies something something catchy, I'm not sure if there is a word to describe it or not, but it's something I'm so focused on when other people do it.

I have a co-worker who says "... don't you THINK?" after every third sentence. Another that starts her arguments with "Not for nothing, but ...". A friend, in telling a story, will always stop mid sentence and say "blah blah blah" or "la la la" or worse, 'yada yada yada".

I am so focused on it probably because my mother never allowed any such fillers when we were kids. My mom is just a natural educator, everything for us was a lesson in some form or another. If we would say "hey mom, you know what?", she'd very quietly say "No, I never met him."

When I met my boyfriend he had two fillers he'd say which drove me up the wall. One was (for example) "I"m really cold ... (pause for a second) ... you?"

I'd say "Me WHAT? Who are you, Tarzan? Ask me a proper question and then I'll answer you!" haa.

The other was "It's cold out (again, second pause), no?"

God, I hated that one.

Anyway, way off topic but this would be a fun thread for the basement parking lot, listing all our favorite ... I still don't know what to call them...

Here's another one... the guy who says "Right?" after every sentence. It baffles me.

YES! I did a paper in high school about Mark Twain and I focused specifically on how big words seemed to choke him.
Snipped with respect.

My agent sent my last manuscript back to me with that Mark Twain quote and beneath it, she wrote, Just say what you mean! If it's a wall, then don't call it a barrier. Bigger isn't better. Post-It Twain's quote to your wall!

"It's cold out (again, second pause), no?"

Gnatcatcher, I used to date a guy who used to do the "no" thing at the end of a question, it drove me NUTS! He sounded like such a dork when he said it lol. I know exactly what you mean!

Gnatcatcher, I used to date a guy who used to do the "no" thing at the end of a question, it drove me NUTS! He sounded like such a dork when he said it lol. I know exactly what you mean!

It kind of has a French flair. As in, "Thank heavens for leetle girls.... no?"

You are more tolerant than I or else he was smokin' hot or had other very redeeming features. Don't know if I could have achieved a second date. Especially if it was cold outside.

To be frank, quite frankly, I like pasta. Not to be racist, but I don't like wontons or Chinese food. And those jeans really do make your *advertiser censored* look fat, no offense. Probably all the wontons and pasta.

This is awesome. Fortunately I wasn't drinking anything when I read it.

I searched for an appropriate thread to post this link in so hopefully I picked the right one.
One Lawyers opinion on ICA's lead attorney :) http://backseatlawyer.blogspot.com/2009/01/who-is-jose-baez-besides-being-casey.html

'I found a site, avvo.com, that reports Jose Baez got his law degree from St. Thomas School of Law - while Investigation Discovery quotes Baez's web site as Baez having a Bachelor's of Science Degree in Criminology from Florida State University. Same source also quotes the Baez site as Baez working for the Public Defender's Office since 1995.' ...........more at link! ENJOY!!

I just can't make myself rewatch any hearing where he is speaking...it has become too painful to do in real time! But I believe when he says "quite frankly, Judge" it is like he is letting the judge in on some heretofore unspoken truth. Like "Judge, they (the state) aren't telling you straight, so let me be frank..."

OT for one of JB's newest words: thwarted. We got a motion in one of our cases yesterday and as I was reading it....they used the term "THWARTED". I thought I would fall off my chair.

No doubt JB would come across better if he had some actual "ammo"..since he doesn't he is relying on his nice suits and his "David and Goliath" routine. JB always sounds a little like he's talking ("conversationally") to the Judge in his front room. At the last hearing I was floored when JB chose the words "slave labor wages" (and I think he said it twice!). I know "slave" is not a racial epithet, but it certainly made me cringe when JB said it to the Judge. It seemed super politically incorrect.

p.s. I think JB has ratcheted down "quite frankly" -maybe because he reads here (Hi JB)

I searched for an appropriate thread to post this link in so hopefully I picked the right one.
One Lawyers opinion on ICA's lead attorney :) http://backseatlawyer.blogspot.com/2009/01/who-is-jose-baez-besides-being-casey.html

'I found a site, avvo.com, that reports Jose Baez got his law degree from St. Thomas School of Law - while Investigation Discovery quotes Baez's web site as Baez having a Bachelor's of Science Degree in Criminology from Florida State University. Same source also quotes the Baez site as Baez working for the Public Defender's Office since 1995.' ...........more at link! ENJOY!!

kaRN....Thanks for that link but I just spent the last 5 minutes trying to wipe the "smudge" off my screen! :floorlaugh: Then it dawned on me it is the webpage that looks smudged!

I think it is just a term that he picked up somewhere. It means "honestly". Since he speaks Spanish, I am curious to know if there is a common Spanish phrase that he is interpreting into English to suffice.

BTW, no snarky comments or this thread will be abducted.

Kim, my sister in law is Spanish. I have NEVER heard her or her children use that phrase. :) And BTW they speak a lot of Spanish.

I think it is just a term that he picked up somewhere. It means "honestly". Since he speaks Spanish, I am curious to know if there is a common Spanish phrase that he is interpreting into English to suffice.

BTW, no snarky comments or this thread will be abducted.

I have never heard any on my friends, who hail from the Spain, use the term..

You can call me Ray.
You can call me Ray-J
You can call me Ray-J-J
or
You can call me Frank
You can call me Unique
You can call me Thwarted..
or you can simply call me JB, the spinmeister (NOT to be confused with wordmeister)

I had a biology teacher in high school that constantly used two phrases, often, very often. The two phrases were…. In other words…… and .. As far as that goes. In any given hour during the school year, you would hear these two phrases over 100 times per hour. The class brain told me the teachers record while he was there was well over 200 times in one hour. He said these words so often it was comical, and often elicited laughter from my classmates, and myself. In other words, he said in other words too often, and quite frankly, as far as that goes, he said as far as that goes too often as well. It was like, you know, I grew up in L.A. so, you know, like, I don’t you know, think like quite frankly is anything like, you know other than, JB trying like, you know, not to say UMMMMM. LOL moo

As a retired teacher, I can relate. Everybody picks up bad language habits. I worked hard not to. When I found myself in a rut, I'd try to avoid the phrase. If it got bad, I would have my students keeps tabs for me. As a result, they started listening to me more and understood what was being taught better, and they could spot my latest "catchphrase".

I think Baez is trying to avoid all the ummms, andas, etc. "Quite frankly" and "honestly" used to much become meaningless, just another bad habit to take up space while thinking about what to say next.

Quote:*After reading today at Examiner.Com that Jose Baez's past experience involves winning 32 out of 34 trials while working as an intern at a Public Defender's Office as well as doing internet training at Lexis-Nexis, I was shocked.*

why does Lexis-Nexis sound familiar in this case?

Quote:*After reading today at Examiner.Com that Jose Baez's past experience involves winning 32 out of 34 trials while working as an intern at a Public Defender's Office as well as doing internet training at Lexis-Nexis, I was shocked.*

why does Lexis-Nexis sound familiar in this case?

The defense recently filed Lexis-Nexus background checks or something on Dr. G and her assistant.

Quite frankly- - I'm familiar with medical Internships, their duties and limitations, and I am puzzled as to how a Law Intern can claim victories ( as Baez apparently does) in 32 of the 34 cases he was involved in? Surely his role was supportive, he was there as a beginner, under direct supervision, as a learning experience, with very limited responsibilities. To me that's like a Surgery Intern claiming that in all of HIS cases, operations were performed without complication, when all he did was tie suture knots or hold a retractor.

You can call me Ray.
You can call me Ray-J
You can call me Ray-J-J
or
You can call me Frank
You can call me Unique
You can call me Thwarted..
or you can simply call me JB, the spinmeister (NOT to be confused with wordmeister)

Or Burgermeister Meisterburger.

As an Argentinean myself, living in Miami, I have to say that IMO Spanish has nothing to do with Baez saying "Quite Frankly" all the time. I have never heard the word "francamente" (spelling ?) used any more in Spanish than normal people do in English. I think he knows he sounds less educated than the other lawyers, and thinks that phrase makes him sound more educated. Instead he sounds ridonkulous lol

This cracked me up....normal English people as opposed to non-normal Spanish people :crazy:
I'm in a silly mood this afternoon.

The defense recently filed Lexis-Nexus background checks or something on Dr. G and her assistant.

Does anyone have any Idea how many trials JB has actually won as a full fledged lead attorney?

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
yoshibee
Back