Jose "Quite Frankly" Baez

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
I just wonder if he thinks it makes him sound more like an experienced lawyer (NOT!). I wonder if CM told him to use it to make him sound better, and it backfired to make him only sound more annoying instead.

It's like trying to dress a wolf in sheep's clothing in the vain hope the other sheep will think the wolf is an actual sheep. Quite Frankly, it's not working.

I believe it is just a speech tic he has picked up and now an ingrained habit. One of my co-workers says "quite honestly" roughly 10,001 times a day....

From reading I have done, experts say that when someone says "quite honestly" or "quite frankly" it is a red flag and indicates that much of what else they say is NOT frank or honest and subconsciously they are drawing attention to what they really want you to believe. But I do not think my co-worker is inherently dishonest much of the time, but rather has lazy speech habits.

I was taught to always distrust anyone who said "trust me". (There should be no reason to point out your own trustworthiness!) "Quite Frankly" has a similar sense about it...why wouldn't Baez be frank? Why wouldn't he ALWAYS be frank especially addressing the court?? It's a titch insulting, really. His choice of word-tic shows his inexperience.

I think this pretty much explains JB's use of "quite frankly" and "frankly". Page 4 at link..... Also page 6 has an excellent chart of adverbials.

Speakers use stance adverbs to convey their judgments and attitudes, to claim the factual nature of what they are saying, and to mark exactly how they mean their utterances to be understood. (1999, pp. 766-767)

http://www.lotpublications.nl/publish/articles/003635/bookpart.pdf

While there are a number of studies on adverbs such as actually, in fact, of course, and really (see references cited above), there are not many studies devoted to adverbs such as frankly, honestly, and seriously, except for passing references made in the literature. In a recent article, Edwards and Fasulo (2006) study these adverbs from a conversational analytic perspective.
Interestingly, the authors remark that such adverbs as actually, certainly, in fact, and really have a related function (Edwards & Fasulo, 2006, p. 344). They report that a feature of the use of honesty-phrases that is common to both question-answer sequential environments and assessments is that “they convey a kind of reluctance on the speaker‟s part to be saying what they are saying”.
page 36

I think he has just gotten into the habit of using that phrase habitually.

I agree. I had a supervisor who really really really reminds me of JB (he was fired for incompetence lol). Anyway, he said the same phrases over and over: "and that's just it", and my favorite: "supposebly" (not supposedly, supposably). In his case it came from a limited imagination but I'm not saying it's (Cough) the same for JB.

I hope that Dr. Glass will pick up on it and give her thoughts.

I had a biology teacher in high school that constantly used two phrases, often, very often. The two phrases were…. In other words…… and .. As far as that goes. In any given hour during the school year, you would hear these two phrases over 100 times per hour. The class brain told me the teachers record while he was there was well over 200 times in one hour. He said these words so often it was comical, and often elicited laughter from my classmates, and myself. In other words, he said in other words too often, and quite frankly, as far as that goes, he said as far as that goes too often as well. It was like, you know, I grew up in L.A. so, you know, like, I don’t you know, think like quite frankly is anything like, you know other than, JB trying like, you know, not to say UMMMMM. LOL moo

I just wonder if he thinks it makes him sound more like an experienced lawyer (NOT!). I wonder if CM told him to use it to make him sound better, and it backfired to make him only sound more annoying instead.

It's like trying to dress a wolf in sheep's clothing in the vain hope the other sheep will think the wolf is an actual sheep. Quite Frankly, it's not working.

Hey.....no wolfy jokes....I'm very sensitive don't sha know.

Wowee, sleuther, that is SOME chapter on adverbs!

I did catch the part about the use of "frankly" and "honestly": “they convey a kind of reluctance on the speaker‟s part to be saying what they are saying”.

Also, did you notice the references to it can also be interpreted to a desire on the part of the speaker to be perceived as sincere?

Perhaps it is as simple as Jose Baez being acutely aware of his being perceived by the public (perhaps totally incorrectly) as "a sleazy lawyer" and he is trying really, really hard to be sincere with this Judge?

Wowee, sleuther, that is SOME chapter on adverbs!

I did catch the part about the use of "frankly" and "honestly": “they convey a kind of reluctance on the speaker‟s part to be saying what they are saying”.

Also, did you notice the references to it can also be interpreted to a desire on the part of the speaker to be perceived as sincere?

Perhaps it is as simple as Jose Baez being acutely aware of his being perceived by the public (perhaps totally incorrectly) as "a sleazy lawyer" and he is trying really, really hard to be sincere with this Judge?

I scanned the whole article and it really was fascinating. There were some cool tables too. I just wanted to show that while "quite frankly" it could be just his style of speech...that linguists could argue there is meaning behind them too.

I believe it is just a speech tic he has picked up and now an ingrained habit. One of my co-workers says "quite honestly" roughly 10,001 times a day....

From reading I have done, experts say that when someone says "quite honestly" or "quite frankly" it is a red flag and indicates that much of what else they say is NOT frank or honest and subconsciously they are drawing attention to what they really want you to believe. But I do not think my co-worker is inherently dishonest much of the time, but rather has lazy speech habits.

It prefaces a lot of what he has to say and is just as suspect, to me, as when George Anthony starts a sentence with 'As a matter of fact'- when I hear that I listen closely, because I know what follows will usually be an exaggeration or a lie.

FRANKLY

From the URBAN DICTIONARY:

Honestly; in a frank. From the Frankish people of medieval West Germany and France, and one of many Germanic federations.

Is often used by bourgeois elitists in attempt at appearing intelligent. Almost always said after "quite" and sometimes in a sentence with "rather", two other completely useless words.

I believe Casey uses the word "literally" and several other words to support her a..hem...stories of how her daughter ended up diappearred as in missing.

Jose is going to have to watch another movie because he uses "quite frankly" too often and cheapens just plain honesty.

Is there a statement analysis person who reads here? If so, what in the world does the speech pattern of Jose Baez while arguing his motions indicate? At first I found his insertion of "quite frankly" here, there, and everywhere to be merely annoying.

But at this point, I am wondering - given the context in which it is being said time and time again - if it does not give us some clues into the thinking patterns of Mr. Baez?

I am not trying to be snarky here. I think this is could be significant.

I have asked myself how often and when do I use the phrase "quite frankly"?
My answer is "not too often". And when I do use the phrase, I would say that it usually prefaces some "unpleasant truth". As in "Quite frankly, yes, those slacks DO make your butt look wide" or "Well, since you asked for an honest opinion, quite frankly, I liked the longer hair on you rather than this man-style, extremely short hair cut".

And then there was the famous Rhett Butler "Frankly my dear, I don't give a damn............"

Any comments?

And if possible, quite frankly, I would love to hear from an experienced statement analyst.

LOL- every single time he says it, I'm thinking "Quite frankly Baez, I don't give a damn".

Because with Baez the wheel is turning but the hamster is dead, he is unconsciously repeating “quite frankly” for a purpose. Baez repeats this annoying phrase to encourage dummies to believe that he is always credible, open and honest. Repeated statements are believed to be more true than new statements.

Journal of Experimental Psychology: Human Learning and Memory. Vol 5(3), May 1979, 241-252. doi: 10.1037/0278-7393.5.3.241

http://webcache.googleusercontent.c...ements&cd=6&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=us&client=safari

http://www.animateit.net/data/media/129/302_hamster_running_wheel_hg_clr.gif

http://i94.photobucket.com/albums/l118/Jet-Mech/apu-2.jpg

Is there a statement analysis person who reads here? If so, what in the world does the speech pattern of Jose Baez while arguing his motions indicate? At first I found his insertion of "quite frankly" here, there, and everywhere to be merely annoying.

But at this point, I am wondering - given the context in which it is being said time and time again - if it does not give us some clues into the thinking patterns of Mr. Baez?

I am not trying to be snarky here. I think this is could be significant.

I have asked myself how often and when do I use the phrase "quite frankly"?
My answer is "not too often". And when I do use the phrase, I would say that it usually prefaces some "unpleasant truth". As in "Quite frankly, yes, those slacks DO make your butt look wide" or "Well, since you asked for an honest opinion, quite frankly, I liked the longer hair on you rather than this man-style, extremely short hair cut".

And then there was the famous Rhett Butler "Frankly my dear, I don't give a damn............"

Any comments?

And if possible, quite frankly, I would love to hear from an experienced statement analyst.

Just started a new job so I havent had a chance to read this thread yet, but I have commented on this very same thing several times!!! I am SO SICK of hearing him say that!! I even started counting how many times he says it in hearings! Its driving me bonkers! Get a new word crutch, please!!!

Sorry. Rant is complete, thank you for listening :-D

All IMO :)

OK, I couldn't resist. Someone took one of Baez's pressers and edited out everything but the Ummms. Filed under Comedy.

If you can make it past one minute, you're a trooper. :)

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u-fwKOt_gWE[/ame]

OK, I couldn't resist. Someone took one of Baez's pressers and edited out everything but the Ummms. Filed under Comedy.

If you can make it past one minute, you're a trooper. :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u-fwKOt_gWE

MM, quite frankly, that video was hilarious! :crazy: And the best part was that all those ummmms and uhhhhhhs were from just one presser!

Ummmmmmmmmmmmm....quite frankly.....I would ummmmmmmmmmmmmmm appreciate Depends prior to the posting of these videos.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ThatMeryl
Back