Josh Powell Detained While Investigators Search Home

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
In the early video of him in Utah explaining to the reporter about his impromptu camping trip because they like to "s'mores and stuff like that"...he says they slept in the van and had s'mores in the morning. Pretty damn odd, huh? So they drove out to BFEgypt in a blizzard @ 12:30 AM to sleep in a cold van and make s'mores in the morning. Yup. What a spontaneous and fun guy that Josh Powell is. Totally normal.

WITH A TWO YEAR OLD !!! I can ALMOST believe it if the boys were closer to 10 or 12. BUT TWO?

Is it really FUN for a two year old to wake up at midnight, drive for a few hours, sleep in the cold van and then go out in the freezing morning air and eat a s'more? I think there was a lot of fussing and whining that FUN day.

I don't think SP went to the home. I think they met someplace on the road halfway. I think Josh took Susan with him, injured or dead, when he left that night. I think that partly because the older boy is rumored to have told LE mommy went with them but then went hunting for crystals in a cave. There would have been no reason to tell the boys that story about mommy if she had not been there, sleeping in the rear area.

Maybe they met up with each other in Ely, but SP took the body further away on his way back to Washington.

That could very well be. I wouldn't doubt it a bit if he called SP for help. When did SP name his CD 'Light of Seattle'? Dang..what if her body was disposed of here in my city. Any possible clues in the lyrics? I haven't read them very much.
ETA: Probably a stretch of my imagination..but these two are definitely very strange.

http://www.seattlepi.com/local/komo/...#ixzz1WAUMODhH

[snip]
During Wednesday's ABC News interview, Josh Powell said Susan showed signs of mental instability before she vanished.
"She's hard to reason with when she gets that angry," he said. "At times she has walked out the front door in her underwear and started walking down the street.
"At the time when all this was happening, it was mortifying to me. I was trying to call her back, trying to apologize for what I may or may not have done. ... I tried to protect her from doing things that I thought might embarrass her in that respect," he said.
=========================================================

I had a friend who left her home in only her underwear and walked down the street before too. Both times it was because she was scared to death of her boyfriend, who was about to cut her with a knife. She finally escaped from him by changing her name and moving across the country.

I think he disposed of her body while "camping" in Utah, then rented the car and retrieved her body and SP met him somewhere. Ely? They either hid her body there in a mine, or did SP take her body elsewhere? I do think SP got involved to help him. When did SP arrive in Utah? I wonder if it was right after Josh showed up again in Utah after his rental car travels.

It really has me scratching my head as to why WVCPD wasn't tracking his every move from day 1. How did they not know he racked up so many miles on a rental car. Do they even have a clue as to when SP arrived in Utah? Seems like golden opportunity lost.

With all the computer engineers out of work in this country, it's too bad they can't hire a bunch of them -- even temporarily -- to handle this backlog instead of letting murderers enjoy months of freedom before they can get to their evidence.

If it makes you feel better... They do have people that don't work for them full time but do assist in computer forensics.
IF they WANT to expedite this process they do have people they can call 24-7 and they will make themselves available. (Even in Utah.)

I guess we will see how urgent they feel it is?
Maybe they know they will need months to continue their investigation so they are okay with that part of it taking months as well.

Not only that but he risked his sons lives!

If he had just killed their Mom... I'm guessing that wasn't a high priority?

It's too bad, in a way, that he didn't slide off the road into a ditch. It might have solved the case once the tow truck driver showed up.

Actually... it may not have been a tow truck, they were in short supply that night.
I pulled 3 men in cars/minivans out of the snow that night. It's not like I had anything else to do! (Their ego's were seriously bruised.)

If Josh Powell had run off the road within sight of me... I would have rolled my eyes, sighed... and pulled his sorry butt out too.

Again, I would have remembered it... but I wouldn't have found Susan unless she was in the passenger seat.
I think the same thing applies to a tow truck driver, if she was in the back covered up they wouldn't see her either.

That evening and weekend was a very stormy time. I have look at weather info as well and for some reason it is not showing up. Although for us that live here in the valley we know we have very strange weather patterns. There have been days I can drive around in Midvale where the weather isn't to bad and go to my house up near Mount Olympus (East Bench) a half hour later and need my 4x4 to get up the road.

Holladay East Bench
North Salt Lake East Bench
Parley's Canyon

My 3 least favorite places to go in the winter... more snow because they are higher... and of course 3 places that family lives for holidays. :banghead:

It really has me scratching my head as to why WVCPD wasn't tracking his every move from day 1. How did they not know he racked up so many miles on a rental car. Do they even have a clue as to when SP arrived in Utah? Seems like golden opportunity lost.

Further upthread somewhere, pretty far back, some one posted that LE did not even know that he had rented a car until the neighbor went and told them.
Apparently, after LE impounded his vehicle, he asked the neighbor for a ride to the airport to the rental agency. IIRC, it was not until later when the cops interviewed the neighbor that they found out about the rent-a -car. By then it had been throughly cleaned. All they got was the mileage records, no GPS in the car.

Also, according to reports posted above, LE originally entered the home checking on the well being of the FAMILY. Both parents missed work and the kids missed school. Someone called for a wellness check, and the cops saw no tracks going in and out, and they worried that they may have succumbed to faulty gas leak or something. So they broke in to find the two fans on the damp rug stain.

I am not sure what happened next. Did JP arrive back home with the boys amidst that?

So anyway it took awhile for LE to get up to speed and realize that mom was actually missing. They do a wellness check, and then eventually find 3 of the family, HAPPILY returning from a family camping trip, just as surprised as they are that mom was not home.

If it makes you feel better... They do have people that don't work for them full time but do assist in computer forensics.
IF they WANT to expedite this process they do have people they can call 24-7 and they will make themselves available. (Even in Utah.)

I guess we will see how urgent they feel it is?
Maybe they know they will need months to continue their investigation so they are okay with that part of it taking months as well.

If he had just killed their Mom... I'm guessing that wasn't a high priority?

Actually... it may not have been a tow truck, they were in short supply that night.
I pulled 3 men in cars/minivans out of the snow that night. It's not like I had anything else to do! (Their ego's were seriously bruised.)

If Josh Powell had run off the road within sight of me... I would have rolled my eyes, sighed... and pulled his sorry butt out too.

Again, I would have remembered it... but I wouldn't have found Susan unless she was in the passenger seat.
I think the same thing applies to a tow truck driver, if she was in the back covered up they wouldn't see her either.

Holladay East Bench
North Salt Lake East Bench
Parley's Canyon

My 3 least favorite places to go in the winter... more snow because they are higher... and of course 3 places that family lives for holidays. :banghead:

It would have been cool if they broke an axle and had to be towed to a garage. :sigh:

It would have been cool if they broke an axle and had to be towed to a garage. :sigh:

And if the older boy said " Don't wake mommy, she is asleep under the blankets."

You can just imagine why the Powells have been keeping those poor kids away from everyone.

And if the older boy said " Don't wake mommy, she is asleep under the blankets."

You can just imagine why the Powells have been keeping those poor kids away from everyone.

Now if I was towing someone out and a child said that to ME... I would whisper "Okay sweetie..." and then call 911 at the first opportunity.

People have been caught later because of the tow truck before... here's a favorite case of mine if you are interested. :seeya:

Cops find the body of a woman in the desert. They also find tire tracks at the scene which they follow for hours.

They eventually find an area where it is obvious several vehicles have been there together. The vegetation and sand is torn up.

Then, they find a clean cell phone... in the middle of the desert.

They find out the phone belongs to..... a tow truck driver.

Charlie, the tow truck driver said he didn't know anything about any dead body but he could explain the tracks.

According to Charlie, a car got stuck in the sand the night before.

The owner called his father, who arrived in a pickup truck.

And the pickup truck got stuck, too.

They called for a tow truck, and it got stuck.

Finally, the tow-truck driver called Charlie, and he pulled them all out.

So then of course, why is the phone in the middle of nowhere??

Well while Charlie is trying to pull out the car, the truck and the tow truck... his phone rings.

Cell phone reception is crappy there. So he couldn't hear a word his wife was saying. He gets frustrated and throws the phone.

Charlie was able to tell them who was driving the car he pulled out and that the guy was nervous about them being in the car.

Both guys were convicted, one of them was also convicted of 3 other murders.

Without Charlie throwing his cell phone because his wife was bugging him again... they might not have solved the case.

http://www.livedash.com/transcript/...loor)/5712/TRUTVP/Sunday_June_27_2010/349151/

I saw that case on TV. It was unreal how everything was "karma".

http://www.seattlepi.com/local/komo/...#ixzz1WAUMODhH

[snip]
During Wednesday's ABC News interview, Josh Powell said Susan showed signs of mental instability before she vanished.
"She's hard to reason with when she gets that angry," he said. "At times she has walked out the front door in her underwear and started walking down the street.
"At the time when all this was happening, it was mortifying to me. I was trying to call her back, trying to apologize for what I may or may not have done. ... I tried to protect her from doing things that I thought might embarrass her in that respect," he said.
=========================================================

I had a friend who left her home in only her underwear and walked down the street before too. Both times it was because she was scared to death of her boyfriend, who was about to cut her with a knife. She finally escaped from him by changing her name and moving across the country.

The first time I read JP's "underwear" statement, I thought of the movie Bridget Jones's Diary. Anyone else see that movie?

There was a scene in the movie where Bridget ran through the streets in her underwear. Why? Well, something had happened and she was very upset and she ran impulsively out the door.

If Susan did go out in her underwear, I just can't see her making that decision in a conscious, thought-out manner. Maybe something happened that made Susan run out the door in her underwear.

IMO

OK, good points, well taken.

So...why did it take them over a year and a half to search the Powell "compound" in WA? And what the hell were they doing in Ely?

They had no reason to search SP's home back then, Susan did not disappear from that home, she and Josh lived in Utah. There was no probable cause for a search at SP's home at the time.
As for the search in Ely, NV, that came about from a tip. Investigators have not said where the tip came from or what it was about.
I assume this latest search stemmed from information they got from the search in NV or possibly from some of the interviews SP has done lately as well.

Since the underwear story comes from Josh, and Steve is just repeating what Josh said since he wasn't there, I would take it with a huge grain of salt.

I am sitting here typing in my underwear, and if I had to rush outside, no one would think I was undressed.

My hubby sleeps with two fans going full blast in addition to the central a/c, so I sleep in an undershirt and long john type leggings even in the summer , (in Texas). I buy them in the underwear department. The leggings are thin, very stretchy, and they don't ride up above my knees like pj pants do during the night!

I think that Steve and Josh try to find a way to sexualize everything. All underwear is not sexy or skimpy, and Susan must have been running from Josh if she bolted out the door wearing hers.

http://www.deseretnews.com/article/705350126/Search-ongoing-for-missing-West-Valley-woman.html
http://www.sltrib.com/utah/ci_13967860

These are links from original articles on Susan’s disappearance (from Dec 2009)

I think the police responded very quickly to the concerns of Susan’s friends/family because they were told more information from the very beginning that was never released to the public. They say that the entire family went to a Christmas party on Saturday (no noted problems) everyone having fun. They saw Susan at church on Sunday, Jovanna went over after church, ate with the family – that got to early evening (no noted problems). I’ve read in other sources (can’t find the original) where someone had a phone conversation with Susan at 10 pm (possibly Jennifer or a close friend) and no noted problems. Then Monday morning, the children are not dropped off at daycare and everyone gets very concern. Jennifer calls both Susan’s and Josh’s work and finds out they did not show up. She calls the police.
Police responds to missing persons report less than 12 hours since last reported contact (with no reported problems) hours during which most people are sleeping. Jennifer gets the police to check out the house at 9 am. They are concern enough to break a window to check for a possible carbon monoxide poisoning and find the two fans drying a wet carpet. They put out an ATL for the entire family and their mini-van Monday morning.
Tim, the neighbor finally gets Josh to answer his cell phone at 3 pm. He informs Josh that the police are at his home and are looking for his wife. Tim tells Josh to get home right away. Josh and the children arrive home at 5 pm (Monday). The police continue to look for Susan.
I am a very reliable person. I don’t miss a lot of work. When I do, I call in. I do not have anyone who monitors my comings and goings so closely that they would call the police that quickly, first thing in the morning. I believe despite all that was said publicly, that people have been walking on eggshells around Josh for a very long time. They had reason to be fearful that something was going to happen. They shared that information with the police from the beginning and the police responded accordingly.
Around the same time period, in another county – a woman called the police about the couple she allowed to live in her house. She said that they stole her prescription medications and wanted to file a police report. The police also encountered with going out to the house and no one answered the door. The police could not get her to answer her phone. They left the house. Neighbors called a day later saying something was odd, because the woman’s pets were loose in the neighborhood, and she never allowed them to be loose. Police said they couldn’t do anything. It took 72 hours for the police to get a warrant to check out the house. They found the woman and her adult son murdered inside of the house.
So when I heard about WVC PD responding like they did, I give them credit. I also credit Jennifer and Susan’s friends who were so involved. Although they may have said some goofy things publicly, may have sounded as if they supported Josh in the beginning, I believe that they gave all the information that they had to the police immediately. Imagine if there had been a delay in reporting – and Josh had the opportunity to put away the fans, and the carpets were dried, and he got rid of the purse and keys.

http://www.deseretnews.com/article/...rnals-taken-from-home-Steven-Powell-says.html
[snip]
"Cooperation is a two-way street," he told the Deseret News at his home Friday. "The way they're treating our family is completely atrocious."
[snip]
Josh Powell believes using more than two dozen officers from Utah and Washington to serve the warrant was a bigger "show" than was appropriate. As for taking every computer in the house, Powell said, "That's just nasty of them," noting that he offered to simply give them all of his hard-drives.
"It's a complete and total abuse of power," he said.

Has Josh made any direct comments about the stuff his dad is saying ?

[snip]

http://www.deseretnews.com/article/...-taken-from-home-Steven-Powell-says.html?pg=3
Josh Powell would not comment about his father's allegations of a relationship between him and Susan, saying he had discussed it enough. He earlier told an NBC "Dateline" reporter: "Susan never told me about any inappropriate relationship. My dad never told me about any inappropriate relationship.”
But close friends of Susan Powell and some family members have said this past week that Susan told them she insisted on moving to Utah, in part because of inappropriate advances from her father-in-law. They say she told her husband that his father would not be welcome in their West Valley home

http://www.deseretnews.com/article/...rnals-taken-from-home-Steven-Powell-says.html
[snip]
"Cooperation is a two-way street," he told the Deseret News at his home Friday. "The way they're treating our family is completely atrocious."
[snip]
Josh Powell believes using more than two dozen officers from Utah and Washington to serve the warrant was a bigger "show" than was appropriate. As for taking every computer in the house, Powell said, "That's just nasty of them," noting that he offered to simply give them all of his hard-drives.
"It's a complete and total abuse of power," he said.

:floorlaugh: :floorlaugh: Yeah...right...

http://www.komonews.com/news/local/128483088.html

[snip]

"It was definitely a romantic obsession," he said. "You know, Susan's a beautiful woman. When a beautiful woman comes on to you like that, it's really hard to resist that kind of a thing, and maybe it's just me, and probably inappropriate. ... Sure, I wrote songs about her."

.............first that I heard Steve admit that the songs were about Susan

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fitzybjj
Back