Josh Powell Detained While Investigators Search Home

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
I tend to think of the rental car as something of a red herring. He sure as heck wouldn't want to be home during that time, with all the attention the situation was getting. I could see him getting in the car to drive, just for the sake of driving.

The rental car bothers me. LE said he drove "several" hundred miles. In my mind, "several" means about three. From WVC to Ely, round trip, is about 600 - 700 miles, depending on your route. That's a lot more than "several" so I'm questioning that he went to Ely on that trip.

The wind-burned hands - no one commented publicly on his hands prior to the rental car trip. How were his hands before then? If they were ok, well, then, something must have happened on the rental car trip.

imo

I think a search like this could very well take more people than we think. Maybe 4 or 5 officers to do the searching, more people to do evidence processing, photographers, IT people, officers to sit with Josh and the boys, officers to watch other residents of the house, etc. You can't send a couple people in to do a job that big. Everyone is specialized and detailed records, notes, and indexes are kept. Plus, the more LE that is there, the less likely residents are to try to hide/destroy things or bolt and run. You want a little shock and awe just to stun them a little to keep things calm.

Exactly, gwenabob!! I wonder if it did shake up The Good Husband a bit... I do think that since it's been a while, he was feelings pretty safe, smart& smug. Yeah, like you said, probably LEO's & investigators, etc., in every room of the house, IT guys sealing the computers & routers, etc., and folks snapping photos and filming, and keeping an inventory in a notebook or some type of written record, and poor Josh & Steve having to watch it. Possible dusting for prints, maybe removing a rug, the knife drawer, hairs from a hairbrush, etc., etc. It would make me a bit nervous, I must say. A bad day for our boy, huh?!

The rental car bothers me. LE said he drove "several" hundred miles. In my mind, "several" means about three. From WVC to Ely, round trip, is about 600 - 700 miles, depending on your route. That's a lot more than "several" so I'm questioning that he went to Ely on that trip.

The wind-burned hands - no one commented publicly on his hands prior to the rental car trip. How were his hands before then? If they were ok, well, then, something must have happened on the rental car trip.

imo

"Several" is one of those general terms that LE uses a lot to keep from giving out too much info. All they really were saying was that it was more than the normal driving around town mileage you would expect.

Exactly, gwenabob!! I wonder if it did shake up The Good Husband a bit... I do think that since it's been a while, he was feelings pretty safe, smart& smug. Yeah, like you said, probably LEO's & investigators, etc., in every room of the house, IT guys sealing the computers & routers, etc., and folks snapping photos and filming, and keeping an inventory in a notebook or some type of written record, and poor Josh & Steve having to watch it. Possible dusting for prints, maybe removing a rug, the knife drawer, hairs from a hairbrush, etc., etc. It would make me a bit nervous, I must say. A bad day for our boy, huh?!

Better yet he had to sit outside so he couldn't even see what they were paying attention to! All he could see was people coming out carrying things, quiet conversations and flashes from the house.

That is pretty powerful in itself. A bunch of strangers in your home, and you yourself is not allowed in.

I do wish we'd get a new lead on this case from the investigators. I am certain they found something of significance in the Ely mine searches (just as they reported) and are waiting for the evidence to tie back to JP and Susan. I am of the opinion that SP knows all about the "night" Susan disappeared.

I don't necessarily think he went to Ely that same night, but I think he eventually did. One of the boys in the beginning said mom was "looking for crystals."

imo

I've always thought that Josh had taken Susan to a location dictated to him by his father. I do think that Josh's father may be involved in Susan's final destination following the "taking of her away from where Josh put her". I've always had the feeling that the mileage on the rental car was due to Josh checking to make sure that Susan had been "picked up" and removed from the spot where he left her. He just couldn't stand to wait and wonder if she was still there. Maybe the "wind-burned" hands were from having to dig through the snow to get to the spot where he left Susan, or did he get stuck and have to dig the snow out from the tires with his bare hands?

Althought Josh's college degree tells us he has a high IQ, it doesn't necessarily mean that he has any common sense at all...........in other words he isn't very "smart".

My gut instinct is that there was an issue/issues that led up to premeditation. I don't think it was a spontaneous, unplanned murder that night. One of the main issues was likely that Josh was unhappy in Utah and the LDS influence, and Susan's friends, neighbors, co-workers, church members knowing the struggles she was having with Josh and that some even encouraged her to leave him. A control freak abuser always works to isolate the abused from any support system. His narcissistic ego also couldn't stand having his faults/weaknesses exposed. A new job he would be starting obviously wasn't an upswing in Josh's world. Just one more thing to keep him in Utah...and Josh was not much of a worker anyway. I think he was pressuring her to leave Utah and go to WA and she wouldn't. The significance of the new job starting Monday set him into motion. I don't think he could handle being there anymore and Susan was the only thing standing in the way. The control freak was not letting her stay and have the kids, nor was he staying. JMO.

icon14.gif
Great post, pip! I think you are spot-on and your details about it make a ton of sense -- nothing mysterious or weird or hard to understand. If, indeed, it boils down to this, which IMO is likely, it would be very easy for a jury to grasp -- just an everyday, easy-to-understand marital conflict with only one "easy" resolution....
icon8.gif

icon14.gif
Great post, pip! I think you are spot-on and your details about it make a ton of sense -- nothing mysterious or weird or hard to understand. If, indeed, it boils down to this, which IMO is likely, it would be very easy for a jury to grasp -- just an everyday, easy-to-understand marital conflict with only one "easy" resolution....
icon8.gif

I've wondered how much of jp's aggression/annoyance against Susan was actually misplaced aggression that was more about sp than Susan.

He lashed out at her because he was impotent against daddy dearest and so plotted to 'destroy' what was eating at him. He was incapable of hurting him so she became the target. It is apparent that josh's 'wagon' is at least one wheel short.

I do wish we'd get a new lead on this case from the investigators. I am certain they found something of significance in the Ely mine searches (just as they reported) and are waiting for the evidence to tie back to JP and Susan. I am of the opinion that SP knows all about the "night" Susan disappeared.

I'm not really sure they had a LEAD to check Ely, other than the statement by one of the children she was looking for crystals, or in the mine, or some such thing. IF it was 'crystals,' that may be the location of the most likely place to look for 'crystals.'

OTOH, earlier today I posted a newspaper article out of Salt Lake City Aug. 27. The reporter thinks the trip to Ely was a ruse to get movement out of the Washington Powells. The news article said they think the media was used as a lure.

I honestly think they're spot on. LE couldn't get JP to talk, but the media MIGHT. And boy did they. LOL ;)

Now, LE needs to go back to Utah and go over everything that's come about in the past 1 1/2 weeks and see if they can find all the pieces to the puzzle.

JP may have a degree and his dad may too, but they're not very educated in the ways of the REAL world. Small town Washington is no match for the FBI. and the FBI didn't have to pay JP's attorney! woo-hoo

just sayin'
fran

IMHO, IF and WHEN LE is able to prosecute someone for this crime, I think we'll most likely find that LE actually suspected foul play, IMMEDIATELY upon speaking to the husband.

I recall in the Peterson case, we made guesses on how quickly LE suspected foul play. We tried to base it on what WE knew occurred when LE arrived at the scene the first night. But we were all blown away out how QUICKLY LE did actually suspect SP of the crime. Almost from the minute the first responders arrived. They IMMEDIATELY called in detectives, when we thought it was two hours. Usually in such cases they wait 72 hours, SOP.

JP was tooooo spooked from the get go! imho.....he couldn't even answer the basic questions from reporters from day 1. He mumbled and stumbled and himm'd and haw'd and said 'I have to go take care of my boys,' and he'd run away from the cameras.

Nope, LE knew when JP opened his mouth, they had MORE than a person walking away from their life.:(

JMHO
fran

See Josh, this is how it works. Good thing you are such a scaredy-cat. :bang: You THINK you're a good actor, fake tears and all, but you're actually transparent. Your bad! :slap:

Good thoughts, Fran! Like all narcissists, JP thinks the LEOs are dumb, stupid, impolite (!) :violin: and bumbling. It's funny, tho, how he did become nearly speechless when they were just asking a few questions...

And the LEO's have done this, Josh, way more often, Smart-boy,:liar: than you have committed homicide (IMO). They know a weird scene when they see it & smell it -- it's what they do :sleuth: :detective: -- some folks, Josh, take their jobs seriously and try their best to work hard (!) and do quality work.

It all comes around, dear boy,:yow: it all comes back around...
icon10.gif

Good thoughts, Fran! Like all narcissists, JP thinks the LEOs are dumb, stupid, impolite (!) :violin: and bumbling. It's funny, tho, how he did become nearly speechless when they were just asking a few questions...

And the LEO's have done this, Josh, way more often, Smart-boy,:liar: than you have committed homicide (IMO). They know a weird scene when they see it & smell it -- it's what they do :sleuth: :detective: -- some folks, Josh, take their jobs seriously and try their best to work hard (!) and do quality work.

It all comes around, dear boy,:yow: it all comes back around...
icon10.gif

That's unfair. The midnight camping trip story was pure genius!!

I hope that LE has found something in this search that would allow them to find this home unfit for the boys. Hopefully, they can then be removed to live with Cox family.

Yes, ohiogirl, I hope they find something, too. I wonder if *advertiser censored* would be enuff? Certainly, I would think child-*advertiser censored* would do it, but I haven't heard anything about child-*advertiser censored*. But who knoze?

And I would assume that eventually the list of things taken in the SW execution would be made public, or at least shared with the Coxes if anything looked harmful for the boys -- and perhaps that could be grounds for the Coxes to initiate a custody suit. Or maybe CPS would initiate something. Here's hoping that something helpful for a custody suit will be found -- and certainly much more than that as well....
icon11.gif

SP has his hand in the sock puppet, and JP knows it. He knows Daddy is "pleasuring himself" by making his outrageous statements, and knows that if Daddy will do that to a missing woman, he'll do it to his own son.

Wow, yeah, laytonian -- Talk about fouled-up family dynamics! That SP's grown children, other than the two (IIRC) who "escaped," were still living with him, is, as we have agreed, telling. There are, I guess, certain benefits -- sharing of rent/mortgage, groceries, cooking, laundry, etc., etc., probably made it easier on those weak ones still with him. I wonder if all of the "children" living there were as mousy and meek as JP seems. It puts "control" and "arrogance" and probably "my way or the highway" on a whole other level. What was it that kept them there? Fear? Lasiness? No money or no ambition? It's kinda sad for JP if you take all the other stuff (like murder and mental cruelty, etc.) away. (As if.)

Did SP plan the murder and order or shame JP to do it? Did SP do it & leave the body-stashing and clean-up to JP? No matter which, I feel pretty confident that SP had a pleasure party with Susan before her body disappeared. Ugh. What a sick freak, IMO.
icon8.gif

Can anyone (Please!!!) show me or point me to a case where any LE has ever traded evidence in an ongoing investigation, kind of like trading cards ? :floorlaugh:

Something like,

LEO -- I'll give you one of my 45 shells for some fingerprint evidence.

SP -- Nah, I'll have to raise you to add the 45 as well.

LEO -- Okay, but now you'll have to throw in some bloody clothing.

SP -- As long as it can be JP's bloody jeans, we got a deal, Bro.

LEO -- Deal, dude.

~~ Yeah, all day long. ~~

Er, we don't do it that way here in North Carolina, but ....
icon10.gif

Things are quiet on both fronts. It appears the P's have figured out that "honesty" may not be their best strategy at this point. Of course, there's got to be lots of stuff going on internally to the family that they need to sort out. For example, how come most people think it's unacceptable for a FIL to be obsessed with his DIL? Dad seemed to think it was perfectly fine....

And LE - I suspect they have a wealth of information to fill in the puzzle pieces. They just need a little more time to do it.

imo

I'm not really sure they had a LEAD to check Ely, other than the statement by one of the children she was looking for crystals, or in the mine, or some such thing. IF it was 'crystals,' that may be the location of the most likely place to look for 'crystals.'

OTOH, earlier today I posted a newspaper article out of Salt Lake City Aug. 27. The reporter thinks the trip to Ely was a ruse to get movement out of the Washington Powells. The news article said they think the media was used as a lure.

I honestly think they're spot on. LE couldn't get JP to talk, but the media MIGHT. And boy did they. LOL ;)

Now, LE needs to go back to Utah and go over everything that's come about in the past 1 1/2 weeks and see if they can find all the pieces to the puzzle.

JP may have a degree and his dad may too, but they're not very educated in the ways of the REAL world. Small town Washington is no match for the FBI. and the FBI didn't have to pay JP's attorney! woo-hoo

just sayin'
fran

icon6.gif
Good post, fran -- lotsa things to think about....

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
disturbedprincess6
Back