Keeping Hayleigh's Story In The Public Eye

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I didn't see anywhere on the site where they're encouraging environmentally safe balloons (they make them now). How will they track success of this effort? Is there a place one can sign their name to state they'll release a balloon?

BBM

Isn't ANYTHING that gets HaLeigh's name into the public a success?

This event has been sent out in press releases nation wide. Her name is being mentioned across the country - to me - that is ALREADY a success.

I am amazed at the number of people who took my questions as an attack on Ronald's efforts to get Haleigh's name out there. For those who commented that it went nationwide in the media, I assure you, as of this morning, it was not here in my town in Montana. Perhaps tomorrow. Regardless, because of the death of my niece two months ago, and our desire to do a balloon release, I asked about the environmentally friendly balloons.

Ron Cummings is holding a nation-wide event for HaLeigh's 6th birthday. I hope everyone will participate.

"Balloons for HaLeigh Project"

There is a myspace page describing the project:

http://www.myspace.com/balloonsforhaleigh

There has also been a press release that has gone out nation wide to pick up attention on a national level. I hope the sky is filled with red & purple balloons with her flier in them at 2:16 pm on HaLeigh's birthday!
:clap::clap::clap: :balloon::balloon:
What a wonderful way to acknowledge her birthday and to keep her name out there! Bravo, Ronald! Great idea!

I hope Crystal will join in this from where she lives and support his efforts.

Side note: Make sure to keep the ribbons short to avoid them wrapping on power lines etc. I love the idea of her fliers being inside the balloons to carry her message all over.

:clap::clap::clap: :balloon::balloon:
What a wonderful way to acknowledge her birthday and to keep her name out there! Bravo, Ronald! Great idea!

I hope Crystal will join in this from where she lives and support his efforts.

Side note: Make sure to keep the ribbons short to avoid them wrapping on power lines etc. I love the idea of her fliers being inside the balloons to carry her message all over.

I would hope that RON would support the project that Crystal began many days ago that will benefit many children. While I would never deny the family or any posters here who want to participate in this balloon release, it is NEVER, EVER a wonderful thing to release balloons! More than 99% of those balloons end up in places that pollute the environment, they kill thousands of birds and other wildlife every year when the animals become entangled in them or eat them by accident! Even if 1000's of balloons for Haleigh are released, only about 1% of them will be ever be touched or picked up by any human anywhere, and nearly all of those will be thrown away immediately. Releasing balloons in any area of Florida, it is nearly a 100% guarantee that they will end up in the ocean where no one will ever find them or see them, let alone find the rolled up and soaked paper the poster is printed out on!

The school supplies will go directly to children who need them and to children who knew and cared for Haleigh! What a wonderful way for them to remember her and honor her on her birthday. Personally, I would choose to donate to a positive effort, rather than pollute the environment and kill innocent animals, but that is JMOO!

LOL Cajun... great minds and all! :D

I happen to think the balloon release is a GREAT way to get HaLeigh's name back into the media. Especially since this event is being held on a NATIONAL level.

I question why some are complaining. Especially when people have said Ron isn't doing anything. :rolleyes:

He does something and people complain, he doesn't and they complain. I say GOOD FOR HIM! :clap:

ITA :clap: :clap: :clap:

I would hope that RON would support the project that Crystal began many days ago that will benefit many children. While I would never deny the family or any posters here who want to participate in this balloon release, it is NEVER, EVER a wonderful thing to release balloons! More than 99% of those balloons end up in places that pollute the environment, they kill thousands of birds and other wildlife every year when the animals become entangled in them or eat them by accident! Even if 1000's of balloons for Haleigh are released, only about 1% of them will be ever be touched or picked up by any human anywhere, and nearly all of those will be thrown away immediately. Releasing balloons in any area of Florida, it is nearly a 100% guarantee that they will end up in the ocean where no one will ever find them or see them, let alone find the rolled up and soaked paper the poster is printed out on!

The school supplies will go directly to children who need them and to children who knew and cared for Haleigh! What a wonderful way for them to remember her and honor her on her birthday. Personally, I would choose to donate to a positive effort, rather than pollute the environment and kill innocent animals, but that is JMOO!
Please provide a link to your statements.

The latex balloons used for releases (linked a couple of pages ago) are biodegradable, IIRC. I have been a part of many balloon releases and with great return. The farthest a person found a balloon and got in touch with the sender was several hundred miles. There were many people who also received the messages and responded. I do not buy the 1% theory. Link please!

If the balloons have short strings, the chances of birds getting caught up in them are very unlikely. I have never heard or seen a story where birds died because they ate balloons. Link please!

When Crystal and Ronald had the earlier balloon release for Haleigh, I don't recall seeing a post like this one. No one appeared to be upset then so why all of the sudden is it a horrible thing to do?! :confused:

Probably because the first one was done without an announcement (and yes, this is the first time I heard about it.)

Please provide a link to your statements.

The latex balloons used for releases (linked a couple of pages ago) are biodegradable, IIRC. I have been a part of many balloon releases and with great return. The farthest a person found a balloon and got in touch with the sender was several hundred miles. There were many people who also received the messages and responded. I do not buy the 1% theory. Link please!

If the balloons have short strings, the chances of birds getting caught up in them are very unlikely. I have never heard or seen a story where birds died because they ate balloons. Link please!

When Crystal and Ronald had the earlier balloon release for Haleigh, I don't recall seeing a post like this one. No one appeared to be upset then so why all of the sudden is it a horrible thing to do?! :confused:

No problem....here is one and I have several hundred more....how many would you like? The latex balloons biodegrade.....over time.....but not before causing the same death and destruction just for less time. I don't support ANY balloon release...doesn't matter to me if sponsored by Crystal, Ron, or the jolly green giant!

http://www.multiplebirthsfamilies.com/articles/ber_q21.html

Helium Balloon Release: a potential death sentence
Recently I read an article about a young whale that had beached itself on a sandy shore. Volunteers worked tirelessly to save this beautiful, distressed and obviously sick whale. It was taken to a nearby aquarium and given appropriate vitamin injections and fed special foods with a view to improving its health and reintroducing it back into its pod. Initially there appeared to be a slight improvement in the whale's health but it was short lived. It continued losing weight and swam listlessly around the aquarium's pool. The veterinary staff finally decided to scope the whale's stomach to see if they could identify anything that might explain the whale's failure to thrive. What they found, surprised everyone. They pulled out of the whale's stomach a deflated, mylar balloon with "Happy Birthday" on it. It had been lodged in the stomach and was blocking the passage of food through the whale's digestive system. This little whale was slowly starving to death through no fault of its own. The story has a happy ending: with the removal of the balloon, the whale's health began to improve and he was soon reunited with his pod in the ocean.

The release of Helium filled balloons at events such as football games, political conventions, rallies, memorial events or just for the heck of it, has practically become a way of life. Sometimes hundreds of balloons are released at a time at such events. There is no doubt as the multi-coloured balloons are let go and drift skyward, it is a beautiful sight. It isn't difficult to imagine their view of the vanishing ground below and further imagine that we are with them flying free up, up and away, perhaps carrying with them a message to a loved one in the case of a memorial event.

What is very scary is where these balloons can end up, particularly when more and more are sent upwards into the atmosphere. Obviously they have to end up somewhere and it is important to consider where their end may be. The above whale story is not the first time I have heard about released balloons, once deflated, adversely affecting unsuspecting birds and mammals. Bits of balloon have been found in dead sea birds, turtles and in the stomachs and intestines of many different fish.

Please reconsider releasing helium balloons. Please consider the birds and animals who cannot speak for themselves and who end up experiencing an agonizing death as, deflated balloons or portions of them, end up in their stomachs and intestines and they starve to death.

There are so many other ways to celebrate or memorialize without harm. Light a beautiful candle, do some volunteer work, make a donation in your loved one's name but Please Don't Release Helium Balloons. Homing doves or pigeons are a thoughtful and considerate alternative. The birds are not harmed and can find their way home time and time again. They too, make an impressive memorial display as they are released into the air. Helium balloons may carry aloft a death sentence for a unsuspecting animal member of our planet and it is just not worth the price.

Do we get to see R & M that day when they do the release for Haleigh?

Maybe the media will show up and promote......hint.

It has finally been shown that out in the Pacific there is now an island, yes an island made completely of plastics.

The wildlife that it kills and the chemical changes to the water is really sad.

This is sick and something needs to be done. It finally hit the major media yesterday. The island is enormous!

Maybe they can switch the event to something different?

More documentation on balloon release horrors:

http://northcoastvoices.blogspot.com/2009/07/wildlife-sos-helium-balloons-when.html

and this one regarding the use of LATEX BALLOONS:
http://www.associatedcontent.com/article/1074228/ecology_dangers_of_releasing_helium.html?cat=16

We all love birthday parties with cake, ice cream; for many a birthday wouldn't be complete without a handful of helium balloons. The kids like to get out and play with their balloons, but all too often those balloons are released from the hand to float
upward into the sky. There is an argument of sorts of whether the latex balloons are dangerous to wildlife and oceanic life. If you go onto the Internet you can find information that says, NO latex balloons are not dangerous and YES they are dangerous.

The difference between latex balloons and the metallic helium balloons is that latex is made of a natural substance, which is the sap of a rubber tree, and the metallic balloons are made of metallic foil. The latex balloons are biodegradable and the metallic balloons are not. The kicker is when latex balloons fall into water they deteriorate on a much slower scale which makes these balloons a threat to sea life, and when they land on the ground it can take up to 6 months for them to biodegrade, which still imposes a threat to the animals on land and in the oceans.

The danger lies in when the latex balloon fragments are ingested by wildlife and sea animals before they biodegrade completely away the animal will starve to death. Wildlife, such as deer and birds have been found dead in the forest because the latex blocked their natural passageway in the gut. Birds have been found strangled by the strings that were attached to balloons. Whales, dolphins, sea turtles and other forms of sea life have starved to death because their intestines become blocked with balloons.

I can go on, but the point is made.......just my "well informed and researched" own opininon......

Great. Thanks for the link. I would recommend you forward that to the site promoting the balloon release immediately. It may be wise to also forward it to every balloon shop in the country as a way to preserve the birds and other animals possibly affected by such a horror. (Is PETA aware of this?!)

In the meantime, I fully support the effort being put forth by Ronald to get the message out to the media and others. Since there have been no adverse reports from the last balloon release which was put together by others for Haleigh, I am going to assume there should not be any ill effects from the one coming up for her birthday. I will be proudly getting my fliers and balloons ready to go from here in show of support and love for Haleigh. Bombs Away!!

No problem....here is one and I have several hundred more....how many would you like? The latex balloons biodegrade.....over time.....but not before causing the same death and destruction just for less time. I don't support ANY balloon release...doesn't matter to me if sponsored by Crystal, Ron, or the jolly green giant!

http://www.multiplebirthsfamilies.com/articles/ber_q21.html

Helium Balloon Release: a potential death sentence
Recently I read an article about a young whale that had beached itself on a sandy shore. Volunteers worked tirelessly to save this beautiful, distressed and obviously sick whale. It was taken to a nearby aquarium and given appropriate vitamin injections and fed special foods with a view to improving its health and reintroducing it back into its pod. Initially there appeared to be a slight improvement in the whale's health but it was short lived. It continued losing weight and swam listlessly around the aquarium's pool. The veterinary staff finally decided to scope the whale's stomach to see if they could identify anything that might explain the whale's failure to thrive. What they found, surprised everyone. They pulled out of the whale's stomach a deflated, mylar balloon with "Happy Birthday" on it. It had been lodged in the stomach and was blocking the passage of food through the whale's digestive system. This little whale was slowly starving to death through no fault of its own. The story has a happy ending: with the removal of the balloon, the whale's health began to improve and he was soon reunited with his pod in the ocean.

The release of Helium filled balloons at events such as football games, political conventions, rallies, memorial events or just for the heck of it, has practically become a way of life. Sometimes hundreds of balloons are released at a time at such events. There is no doubt as the multi-coloured balloons are let go and drift skyward, it is a beautiful sight. It isn't difficult to imagine their view of the vanishing ground below and further imagine that we are with them flying free up, up and away, perhaps carrying with them a message to a loved one in the case of a memorial event.

What is very scary is where these balloons can end up, particularly when more and more are sent upwards into the atmosphere. Obviously they have to end up somewhere and it is important to consider where their end may be. The above whale story is not the first time I have heard about released balloons, once deflated, adversely affecting unsuspecting birds and mammals. Bits of balloon have been found in dead sea birds, turtles and in the stomachs and intestines of many different fish.

Please reconsider releasing helium balloons. Please consider the birds and animals who cannot speak for themselves and who end up experiencing an agonizing death as, deflated balloons or portions of them, end up in their stomachs and intestines and they starve to death.

There are so many other ways to celebrate or memorialize without harm. Light a beautiful candle, do some volunteer work, make a donation in your loved one's name but Please Don't Release Helium Balloons. Homing doves or pigeons are a thoughtful and considerate alternative. The birds are not harmed and can find their way home time and time again. They too, make an impressive memorial display as they are released into the air. Helium balloons may carry aloft a death sentence for a unsuspecting animal member of our planet and it is just not worth the price.

My first thought about the balloons was the same, but I guess if your child is missing, you want to do something to get her name and face out there. I don't think this will change there minds, it's her Birthday and I image this is the reason for the balloons as it would be symbolic of her birthday and they feel it would take her message out to the World. I am going to donate to the school, and instead of releasing Balloons, I am going to get 100 copies of her FDLE fyler and put them in my car and take them around where ever I go and ask if I can post one. I wonder if I mailed packages out of state if I can put one on the package? I would love to see that on FEDEX packages and UPS ones. Most of the box is blank anyway. That could be an idea to get lots of kids faces out there all around the States. Hmmmm....I have to think about this. Anyway thanks for the enlightenment of our wildlife. I do cut up the plastic that wraps up coke and pop in those six packs.

Great. Thanks for the link. I would recommend you forward that to the site promoting the balloon release immediately. It may be wise to also forward it to every balloon shop in the country as a way to preserve the birds and other animals possibly affected by such a horror. (Is PETA aware of this?!)

In the meantime, I fully support the effort being put forth by Ronald to get the message out to the media and others. Since there have been no adverse reports from the last balloon release which was put together by others for Haleigh, I am going to assume there should not be any ill effects from the one coming up for her birthday. I will be proudly getting my fliers and balloons ready to go from here in show of support and love for Haleigh. Bombs Away!!

BBM

As a matter of fact in MOST balloon shops you will find warnings posted to NOT release the balloons! I have seen them dozens of times. I am not a member of PETA, but I am sure they are well aware of this as is anyone who is environmentally responsible in any way.

Unfortunately, you have missed the point, the ones adversely affected by this behavior are DEAD and it should be a concern to all of us. The last release was small and private and not advocated to thousands to emulate! I am sure that Haleigh herself would be sad to know that animals die in this horrible manner!

Perhaps a release of butterflies, planting flowers, or a special treat day for zoo animals would better honor Haleigh if someone cared enough to put some real thought into the best way to remember her birthday.

My first thought about the balloons was the same, but I guess if your child is missing, you want to do something to get her name and face out there. I don't think this will change there minds, it's her Birthday and I image this is the reason for the balloons as it would be symbolic of her birthday and they feel it would take her message out to the World. I am going to donate to the school, and instead of releasing Balloons, I am going to get 100 copies of her FDLE fyler and put them in my car and take them around where ever I go and ask if I can post one. I wonder if I mailed packages out of state if I can put one on the package? I would love to see that on FEDEX packages and UPS ones. Most of the box is blank anyway. That could be an idea to get lots of kids faces out there all around the States. Hmmmm....I have to think about this. Anyway thanks for the enlightenment of our wildlife. I do cut up the plastic that wraps up coke and pop in those six packs.

Bern,

Why don't Fedex and UPS have pix of missing children on their packages - especially the envelopes that documents come in ? I've seen thousands of those envelopes and you are right, there is room on them. I will write UPS and Fedex first thing tomorrow am. Good, good, good idea !!!

ME TOO! My 15 year old son does this, also. He was taught this by a vet when he was a preschooler and he STILL remembers to do it every time he empties a pack of water or gatorade!

I am just trying to use this forum as a way to let others know about the damage these balloon releases do. No one can stop this one most likely, and I am not the type to contact or interfere in the lives of the families of victims. I was just hoping that those here who have a choice of how to get Haleigh's name and picture out there, would do as YOU are choosing to do and not do more damage to innocents than has already been inflicted upon Haleigh.

BBM

As a matter of fact in MOST balloon shops you will find warnings posted to NOT release the balloons! I have seen them dozens of times. I am not a member of PETA, but I am sure they are well aware of this as is anyone who is environmentally responsible in any way.

Unfortunately, you have missed the point, the ones adversely affected by this behavior are DEAD and it should be a concern to all of us. The last release was small and private and not advocated to thousands to emulate! I am sure that Haleigh herself would be sad to know that animals die in this horrible manner!

Perhaps a release of butterflies, planting flowers, or a special treat day for zoo animals would better honor Haleigh if someone cared enough to put some real thought into the best way to remember her birthday.

Does the PCSO have a program to give Teddy Bears to children caught in traumatic situations ? I've been thinking about Jr today and what it must've been like for him. Maybe a drive to gather Teddy Bears ? That seems like something that would benefit the Community and get Haleigh's name in the news.

ETA: Guess this may be on the wrong thread, Tom'sGirl. Please move if you think so. Thanks !

That really is an excellent idea, Bern! As long as the addresses on the packages are readable, I see no reason not to have fliers or information taped on the sides and bottoms.

I think I will start doing that at the office when mailing out packages, too. We have several which go out daily and it does reach many areas. The drivers see them and the people receiving them. Bravo!! :clap::clap::clap:

ETA: I always cut the plastic six pack holders, too. I do a lot of things to protect animals and the environment. I do care about those things, but I am not an extremist which is how I view PETA.

Does the PCSO have a program to give Teddy Bears to children caught in traumatic situations ? I've been thinking about Jr today and what it must've been like for him. Maybe a drive to gather Teddy Bears ? That seems like something that would benefit the Community and get Haleigh's name in the news.

ETA: Guess this may be on the wrong thread, Tom'sGirl. Please move if you think so. Thanks !

I was thinking of ALL the other kids that are living though this as well. It is hard for the parents, but can you image being the other kids seeing and hearing and living with this, day in and day out?

ETA sorry OT, please move if you need to. Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members