GUILTY KS - Andrew Finch, 28, killed by LE in 'swatting' prank, Wichita, 28 Dec 2017 *civil trial 2022*

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
On Ipad so I cannot link...KWCH, channel 12news reporting today, “swatting suspect”, Tyler Barriss, is headed back to Wichita. He was on a flight at 8:53 central time today. They said to check back for updates.

Again on Ipad KWCH reports today, TB charged with involuntary manslaughter. Bond is $500,000.00. No word on next court appearance.

Swatting suspect in Sedgwick County jail, charged with involuntary manslaughter

The man accused of placing a "swatting" call that led to the deadly officer-involved shooting in Wichita has been booked into the Sedgwick County Jail.

According to online jail records, Tyler Barriss is charged with involuntary manslaughter; giving false alarm, notifying emergency services and interfering with a law enforcement officer, falsely reporting a felony.

The booking report shows Barriss was booked into jail at 3:14 p.m.

He was extradited from the Los Angeles County jail Thursday morning.

Barriss is currently being held in the Sedgwick County jail on a $500,000 bond.

Eyewitness News is checking the Sedgwick County District Attorney's Office to find out when he will make his next court appearance.

[....]

http://www.kwch.com/content/news/Swattings-suspect-headed-back-to-Kansas-468818953.html

Swatting suspect in Sedgwick County jail, charged with involuntary manslaughter

The man accused of placing a "swatting" call that led to the deadly officer-involved shooting in Wichita has been booked into the Sedgwick County Jail.

According to online jail records, Tyler Barriss is charged with involuntary manslaughter; giving false alarm, notifying emergency services and interfering with a law enforcement officer, falsely reporting a felony.

The booking report shows Barriss was booked into jail at 3:14 p.m.

He was extradited from the Los Angeles County jail Thursday morning.

Barriss is currently being held in the Sedgwick County jail on a $500,000 bond.

Eyewitness News is checking the Sedgwick County District Attorney's Office to find out when he will make his next court appearance.

[....]

http://www.kwch.com/content/news/Swattings-suspect-headed-back-to-Kansas-468818953.html

It's interesting that they have already decided to charge him with involuntary manslaughter, but of course they are still investigating the cop's actions. How they are going to charge him with manslaughter, without also charging the cop with manslaughter is hard for me to understand. But I'm sure they will try. Now they have established that this was a manslaughter. It will be interesting to see them try to convict him, without charging the trigger man.

I had to wait a little bit before I came to read this thread. I almost bought that house. In an alternate reality, I would be here as victim's family. So, I'm a little emotional about it outside of the obvious usual reasons. My husband and I have debated back and forth about this case. He believes there is nothing the police could have done different.

HE IS WRONG! There is a HUGE disconnect between the person who received the call and the officers on the scene. In the call, he would not identify anything about himself. He said it was a one story house. He said the bedroom he was holding hostages in was in the middle of the house. This is a two story house. The bedrooms are upstairs. Why did no one question the discrepancy? Like, the caller doesn't know the size and shape of his own house? Why ask the questions if you aren't going to utilize the information?

If there were cops all around the house, they could see in the windows. If they had arrived without lights and sirens, they could have peered in the windows and seen that whole family sitting in the living room watching TV.

Obviously, I blame the caller. BUT no one knows how they are going to react to an intense high adrenaline situation like police screaming at you when a minute ago you were casually enjoying your evening with your family. Anyone who says otherwise is fooling themselves. Sometimes your body reacts without your brain's permission. This is in no way, shape, or form the victim's fault.

I will not give my opinion about the police in Wichita because I used to work for an attorney and he had more than one client he was representing in wrongful death lawsuits against them.

I had to wait a little bit before I came to read this thread. I almost bought that house. In an alternate reality, I would be here as victim's family. So, I'm a little emotional about it outside of the obvious usual reasons. My husband and I have debated back and forth about this case. He believes there is nothing the police could have done different.

HE IS WRONG! There is a HUGE disconnect between the person who received the call and the officers on the scene. In the call, he would not identify anything about himself. He said it was a one story house. He said the bedroom he was holding hostages in was in the middle of the house. This is a two story house. The bedrooms are upstairs. Why did no one question the discrepancy? Like, the caller doesn't know the size and shape of his own house? Why ask the questions if you aren't going to utilize the information?

If there were cops all around the house, they could see in the windows. If they had arrived without lights and sirens, they could have peered in the windows and seen that whole family sitting in the living room watching TV.

Obviously, I blame the caller. BUT no one knows how they are going to react to an intense high adrenaline situation like police screaming at you when a minute ago you were casually enjoying your evening with your family. Anyone who says otherwise is fooling themselves. Sometimes your body reacts without your brain's permission. This is in no way, shape, or form the victim's fault.

I will not give my opinion about the police in Wichita because I used to work for an attorney and he had more than one client he was representing in wrongful death lawsuits against them.

Thank you!

Wichita officer won't be charged in shooting death of Andrew Finch

WICHITA, Kan. (KAKE) -
The Sedgwick County district attorney says charges will not be filed against the police officer who shot and killed a man after a prank 911 call.

Andrew Finch was shot December 28 by an officer responding to a California man's call with a fake story about a shooting and kidnapping at Finch's Wichita home.

District Attorney Marc Bennett announced the decision Thursday, saying there was reasonable concern at the time Andrew Finch may have been armed with a weapon.

“The family is devastated and disappointed by the District Attorney’s decision. Andy Finch was unjustifiably and unconstitutionally executed in the sanctity of his own home,” said Andrew Stroth, attorney for Finch's family.

Bennett said Wichita officers and Sedgwick County deputies responded to the call at 1033 West McCormick. The person who called 911 said he shot his father in the head and was holding his mother and little brother at gunpoint in a closet in the house.

The officer involved was placed across the street to provide cover for other officers.

http://www.kake.com/story/37945261/officer-wont-be-charged-in-shooting-death-of-andrew-finch

Much more at link

Wichita officer won't be charged in shooting death of Andrew Finch

WICHITA, Kan. (KAKE) -
The Sedgwick County district attorney says charges will not be filed against the police officer who shot and killed a man after a prank 911 call.

Andrew Finch was shot December 28 by an officer responding to a California man's call with a fake story about a shooting and kidnapping at Finch's Wichita home.

District Attorney Marc Bennett announced the decision Thursday, saying there was reasonable concern at the time Andrew Finch may have been armed with a weapon.

“The family is devastated and disappointed by the District Attorney’s decision. Andy Finch was unjustifiably and unconstitutionally executed in the sanctity of his own home,” said Andrew Stroth, attorney for Finch's family.

Bennett said Wichita officers and Sedgwick County deputies responded to the call at 1033 West McCormick. The person who called 911 said he shot his father in the head and was holding his mother and little brother at gunpoint in a closet in the house.

The officer involved was placed across the street to provide cover for other officers.

http://www.kake.com/story/37945261/officer-wont-be-charged-in-shooting-death-of-andrew-finch

Much more at link

No surprise there. In this country if a cop thinks there is even a slight possibility that you might have a weapon, and there is even a slight possibility that you might be a threat to them, no matter how small the chance, they can preemptively kill you, and get away with it. Nobody is safe from trigger happy cops, nobody. This is why I'm scared if I even see a cop, near me.

On Ipad so I cannot link...however ...Swatying update hearing

Today, May 21, 2018, KWCH news, reports that a preliminary hearing will be held tomorrow to determine if there is enough evidence for the case against Barriss to go to trial. Barriss is charged with involuntary manslaughter, giving false alarm, interference with law enforcement, and reporting a false felony.

Rest of article discusses what he did, what happened and the LE Officer would not face charges

I think that that is an issue that does need to be discussed. Wouldn't a calm and controlled response be better than multiple officers screaming instructions to him have worked better?

Yes, of course they should have a plan for one person only to shout and stick to the script. All of these shootings show some pretty erratic and stressed out behavior. Scary. I’d be slaughtered myself.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Having issues with WS...so cannot add to above remark. Barriss is going to plead guilty.....per following sites

Wichita Eagle paper
KWCH news channel

Having issues with WS...so cannot add to above remark. Barriss is going to plead guilty.....per following sites

Wichita Eagle paper
KWCH news channel

Tyler Barriss plans to change not-guilty plea to swatting charges in Kansas

October 29, 2018

"Tyler Barriss plans to change his not-guilty plea to federal charges filed in Kansas related to a hoax phone call that led police to fatally shoot 28-year-old Andrew Finch in December.

A notation in Barriss’ court file says he notified the court Monday that “he intends to change his plea” during a hearing set for Nov. 13 before U.S. District Judge Eric Melgren. A change of plea hearing is held when a defendant who’s previously pleaded not guilty has decided to admit to charges instead of going to trial...."

Tyler Barriss plans to change not-guilty plea to swatting charges in Kansas
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

According to KAKE, hearing is still on going...more news will be released at 5 and 6 pm central time

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Clue Keeper
Back