GUILTY KS - Andrew Finch, 28, killed by LE in 'swatting' prank, Wichita, 28 Dec 2017 *civil trial 2022*

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
I know the defense atty for TB will fight it, but I think the fact that TB has done this exact kind of thing before and been convicted for it is highly relevant. I think it should be included as evidence at his trial. It's more relevant, IMO, than if he had some other kind of criminal conviction, like a theft charge. I think he belongs in prison till he's a very old, old man.

*ETA: I also have a suspicion that these weren't the only 3 times TB did this. He admits to enjoying "evacs". I think he's probably done this "swatting" thing a bunch of times on a smaller scale without being caught, except for these 3. JMO.

BBM
I caught that too. I think he is no stranger to this at all, especially given his bold Twitter handle; @SWauTistic. He is a danger to others, but I think not so much to himself... He also seems rather arrogant. I don't know if he's implying that he's Autistic, or if there's another clue behind that name. If he is Autistic, he seems very high functioning and capable of understanding what he did (from the interview OP linked) but not really seeing where he has much responsibility for doing what he did (That could be immaturity too, not to be confused with lack of knowledge, of right and wrong. ).

Suspect in deadly Kansas 'swatting' call made 20 other threat-related calls in the past: Police

[....]

The Glendale Police Department confirmed to ABC News that Tyler Barriss made about 20 calls to universities and media outlets throughout the country around the time he was arrested for a bomb threat to Los Angeles ABC station KABC in 2015.

[....]

Police say since they are from around the country, the FBI would take the scope of cases, but the FBI sent ABC News a statement Tuesday night saying: “The FBI worked with Glendale PD based on a series of threats allegedly made by Barriss in/around 2015 and deferred to the state to pursue prosecution, as is the case in many swatting-related matters involving local police.”

[....]

http://abcnews.go.com/US/suspect-deadly-kansas-swatting-call-made-20-threat/story?id=52110432

The Latest: Los Angeles man faces felony in Kansas death

A 25-year-old Los Angeles man suspected of making a hoax emergency call that led to the fatal police shooting of a Kansas man faces a charge of making a false alarm.

The Los Angeles County district attorney filed a fugitive-from-justice warrant Wednesday against Tyler Barriss, saying he was charged with the felony Dec. 29 in Kansas.

Police have said Finch was shot Thursday night after a Los Angeles man called 911 with a fake story about a shooting and kidnapping at Finch’s home.

The goal of such calls is to get a SWAT team to respond, although Ramsey said none of the officers at the scene were SWAT team members.

https://apnews.com/9f0c34d1670546c7...n=SocialFlow&utm_source=Twitter&utm_medium=AP

The Latest: Los Angeles man faces felony in Kansas death

A 25-year-old Los Angeles man suspected of making a hoax emergency call that led to the fatal police shooting of a Kansas man faces a charge of making a false alarm.

The Los Angeles County district attorney filed a fugitive-from-justice warrant Wednesday against Tyler Barriss, saying he was charged with the felony Dec. 29 in Kansas.

Police have said Finch was shot Thursday night after a Los Angeles man called 911 with a fake story about a shooting and kidnapping at Finch’s home.

The goal of such calls is to get a SWAT team to respond, although Ramsey said none of the officers at the scene were SWAT team members.

https://apnews.com/9f0c34d1670546c7...n=SocialFlow&utm_source=Twitter&utm_medium=AP

Chief Ramsey was on vacation when all of this happened and I wonder how different it would have ended if he was in town. He has stated how important he believe slowing things down is. However, I am not sure how slow you can keep things when worried the house could ignite any second with 2 hostages inside. I just hate this whole thing.

If the gamer who asked Barriss to 'swat' was the son of a police officer..... he of all people (if it's true he is related to LE) should've known more than some of us how dangerous that is !

Make an example of them both !!!!!
:furious: :stormingmad:

Thus far I've heard of no remorse from the gamers at all. None.

These antisocial assh*les have been getting away with SWATting and targeted harrassment (false claims to employers, etc) for years with no consequences. I hope that this tragedy leads to real change and shining a spotlight on these losers who can make life hell for whoever crosses them. Since many of them are injustice collectors, crossing them can simply mean not following their preconceived narcissistic notions of how life owes them anything they want.

Man arrested in Wichita 'swatting' case waives extradition

A 25-year-old Los Angeles man wanted in Kansas has waived extradition proceedings in California and will face a felony allegation that he made a hoax emergency call that led to the fatal police shooting of a Wichita resident.

Tyler Barriss appeared in Los Angeles Superior Court on Wednesday and acknowledged he is the person wanted in Kansas.

A fugitive-from-justice warrant filed by Los Angeles County prosecutors says Barriss was charged in Kansas on Dec. 29 with the felony of making a false alarm.

Police have said 28-year-old Andrew Finch was shot after a prankster called 911 last week with a fake story about a shooting and kidnapping at Finch's Wichita home.

Sedgwick County District Attorney Marc Bennett said Barriss would be picked up in the next two to three weeks, but authorities have until February 2.

Once Barriss makes his first appearance in Sedgwick County District Court, details of the charges filed will be made public, Bennett said.

In the meantime Barriss remains held without bail.

[....]

http://www.kake.com/story/37181776/man-arrested-in-wichita-swatting-case-waives-extradition

Swatting victim's mother to police: Please let me see my son

Nearly a week after police shot and killed a Kansas man while responding to a prank call, the victim's mother pleaded with authorities to allow her to see her deceased son.

Lisa Finch wrote in a letter to the Wichita, Kansas, mayor and police chief that she doesn't know where they're keeping his body and that she wants to give her son "a proper funeral service and burial."

She questioned "why Wichita City leadership is compounding our grief and sorrow, by keeping my son from us?"
"Please let me see my son's lifeless body," she wrote in a letter dated Tuesday. "I want to hold him and say goodbye. Please immediately return his body to us."

Swatting victim's mother to police_ Please let me see my son - CNN

Wichita police owe public a fuller explanation in shooting of unarmed man

Andrew Finch shouldn’t have died five days ago. That’s one of the few things clear after a swatting incident that led to a Wichita police officer killing an unarmed Finch on the porch of his west Wichita home.

The police briefings have left two questions that could help shed light on what’s become a case with national awareness.

First, why was only one shot fired from one officer? Livingston has not said how many officers were in or around Finch’s front yard at the time of the shooting, but if Finch lowered his hands to his waist before raising them again, why did only one officer shoot Finch? Did others closer to Finch instruct the officer to shoot?

Officers had to assume that he was the suspect who had told a 911 operator he had killed his father and had still had a weapon. Was the officer designated to shoot the suspect if needed, or was it obvious to other officers that Finch did not have a weapon? Police have not explained.

Second, why was video footage from one body camera released to the public last week but not others?

The few seconds of footage, Livingston said, was from an officer’s camera across the street from Finch’s home, near the officer who fired the shot. The footage doesn’t provide a clear view of what Finch did with his arms. Footage from officers closer to Finch would provide a better view. But those weren’t released.

Editorial_ We must learn why Andrew Finch was killed by police, Jan. 1, 2018 _ The Wichita Eaglel

Just a quick question here: Has there been any information on the caliber of round that struck Mr. Finch? Just wondering if a handgun or rifle was used. Video relates a reasonable distance from camera to victim. Also 911 should have caller ID info that could/should have been checked to affirm where to call originated from via reverse lookup. Unless the number crossed to the address, there should have been some questions raised. Just my $.02.

Just a quick question here: Has there been any information on the caliber of round that struck Mr. Finch? Just wondering if a handgun or rifle was used. Video relates a reasonable distance from camera to victim. Also 911 should have caller ID info that could/should have been checked to affirm where to call originated from via reverse lookup. Unless the number crossed to the address, there should have been some questions raised. Just my $.02.

The caller used software that masked the location, iirc.

They aren't sure that LE was hearing the 911 call as it was coming in, but even if they were, right before Finch came out, the swatter says , "he wants to kill himself and light the house on fire", not long after, Finch walks out.

I can't get over someone doing this to someone. After hearing this guy speak, he deserves time in prison, and I don't know that, that will cause him to grow a conscience, and begin to feel empathy. However, it might be unpleasant enough for him that he'd think twice about doing it again.
------
As police converged on a house at 1033 W. McCormick, a caller pretending that he had killed his father and was holding others hostage was still on the phone with 911.

6:10: The downtown security officer at City Hall receives the first of several calls from a local area code with a man saying that his father had been hit over the head with a handgun. The officer attempts to transfer the calls to 911 over the next few minutes.

6:23: The caller says he wants to kill himself and light the house on fire.

Time unknown: Andrew “Andy” Finch opens the door of 1033 W. McCormick. ...

6:28 p.m. (Police had previously reported 6:43 and 6:46, but made a correction Friday): An officer on the north side of the house shoots Andrew Finch with one round.

Time unknown: Officers remove four people from the house, search it and find no hostages.
6:41: The caller tells 911 he has a black handgun.
6:42: The caller says he is by his mother’s closet.

http://www.kansas.com/news/local/crime/article192846389.html

They aren't sure that LE was hearing the 911 call as it was coming in, but even if they were, right before Finch came out, the swatter says , "he wants to kill himself and light the house on fire", not long after, Finch walks out.

I can't get over someone doing this to someone. After hearing this guy speak, he deserves time in prison, and I don't know that, that will cause him to grow a conscience, and begin to feel empathy. However, it might be unpleasant enough for him that he'd think twice about doing it again.
------
As police converged on a house at 1033 W. McCormick, a caller pretending that he had killed his father and was holding others hostage was still on the phone with 911.

6:10: The downtown security officer at City Hall receives the first of several calls from a local area code with a man saying that his father had been hit over the head with a handgun. The officer attempts to transfer the calls to 911 over the next few minutes.

6:23: The caller says he wants to kill himself and light the house on fire.

Time unknown: Andrew “Andy” Finch opens the door of 1033 W. McCormick. ...

6:28 p.m. (Police had previously reported 6:43 and 6:46, but made a correction Friday): An officer on the north side of the house shoots Andrew Finch with one round.

Time unknown: Officers remove four people from the house, search it and find no hostages.
6:41: The caller tells 911 he has a black handgun.
6:42: The caller says he is by his mother’s closet.e

http://www.kansas.com/news/local/crime/article192846389.html
L

Are LE so gullible that they believe every prank caller? Or is it just an excuse to shoot someone?

I don't think any of that has been reported. But I think it's a good bet that the caliber was a 9mm, and Caller ID was blocked.

L

Are LE so gullible that they believe every prank caller? Or is it just an excuse to shoot someone?

There's no way to tell that it was a prank call. It came in from a local number. If they'd ignored it and it had been true? We'd be wondering why they didn't take all calls for help, seriously.

There's no way to tell that it was a prank call. It came in from a local number. If they'd ignored it and it had been true? We'd be wondering why they didn't take all calls for help, seriously.
to
I am pretty sure that it did not come from local number. It had to be transferred to the local 911. Really it was so prankish, that I don't see how they believed it, unless they were on a high to get out there with their guns and do it.

to
I am pretty sure that it did not come from local number. It had to be transferred to the local 911. Really it was so prankish, that I don't see how they believed it, unless they were on a high to get out there with their guns and do it.

Would you like to have the job of determining which calls LE should respond to or not? Make those life or death decisions and stand out front to make the decisions? I'm sure they'd love someone who has mind reading skills to come join the dept.

The caller used software that masked the location, iirc.

RSBM

Wow.
TB displayed a cunning , premeditated plan to cause harm. There's no way (imo) he thought this was just a harmless prank !
If he does a short time in prison-- he'll be back to his bogus bomb calls, etc. Still haven't heard if he's shown any remorse-- and even if he did-- not sure I'd buy it.
:moo:

Would you like to have the job of determining which calls LE should respond to or not? Make those life or death decisions and stand out front to make the decisions? I'm sure they'd love someone who has mind reading skills to come join the dept.
SABBM

Exactly.
LE at Andrew's house thought there was a crime in progress !!
Imagine the outcry if it HAD been true... and LE didn't take it seriously, and people died ???

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kzrrz
Back