Found Deceased KS - Ashley Meiss, 30, Ogden, 17 May 2018

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Mr. Lewis I must say that it is obvious that you are a loving, supportive father and a class act.

So many family members of missing people hide the truth thinking it will somehow do some good. All it really does is make people wonder and theorize in avenues that are not conducive to successfully finding their missing loved one.

I'm not sure if your candor will do any good in helping us help you find your daughter...but I really hope so. What I do know is that by answering questions and not holding back info...you will greatly improve your chances of getting answers in a timely manner. I know that we all appreciate your thoughtful and timely responses.

I'm sure that I speak for everyone when I say that you and your family are definitely in our thoughts and we hope good news is coming for you soon.

Thank you and God bless!

Ashley, if you happen to be reading here, please know that your children need you.

Like you, I live with depression, PTSD and anxiety, and like you, I have a son and a daughter. I love them more than anything, and looking at your FB pages, clearly, you do yours (by the way, you have gorgeous children). The pages are filled with pictures and videos of you doing things with them. It’s so apparent that you are a great mom.

Last Thanksgiving, I had the worst flashback of my life. I had been doing relatively well for some time, so it was completely unexpected. The following Monday, as the kids returned to school, I tried to take my life.

I still cannot remember any of this, but apparently I somehow managed to call my therapist. He later told me I wasn’t making any sense but immediately knew there was something wrong. He called 911, but he was at home at the time (he has given me his cell number, so that I can call him if I am in a crisis), so he had to drive over to his office to get my address.

Again, I don’t remember any of this, but when I called him, he apparently told me to call 911 immediately, and somehow I managed to do that. I have no idea how I was able to walk downstairs or unlock the door to let the first responders in. When I woke up in my hospital room in the neurocardiology unit the next day (I had had a seizure overnight while still in the ER), I couldn’t even walk to the bathroom without help.

A couple of days later, I was moved to the psychiatry unit. The following weekend, the kids came to see me there. They are 15 and 13 and fully understood what I had done. I felt so guilty because I did not want them to blame themselves and kept apologizing to them. They both told me to stop and gave me the biggest hugs.

When I was going through my divorce, I was terrified that I would never see my children, as their father threatened to use my illnesses against me in court. My therapist, psychiatrist and attorney all told me what was most important was that I show the judge I was committed to continuing treatment, both in terms of therapy and medication. I was still very much worried (honestly, I didn’t believe them), even after my therapist and psychiatrist offered to testify on my behalf. My children’s father and I now share joint custody; in fact, my daughter has been living with me full-time since the beginning of the year.

So come home, Ashley. Don’t let the negative self-talk win. There are so many people who love and care about you, and they will welcome you back with open arms. And your kiddos, with lots of hugs and kisses.

[I’m sorry this post turned out so long!]
Thank you for your service and for sharing your personal experience with PTSD. I know you wouldn't have done it if you didn't believe it could help Ashley. That's the beauty of WS. Where applicable we are not afraid to talk about personal experience if it helps to bring one of our missing home. I know it had to be difficult for you to recount the events of last Thanksgiving. Just know we care.

The only source for a new story comes from a site with limited views unless you are a subscriber.
RCPD continues search for missing woman

Riley County police are still searching for a missing woman from the area.

Ashley Meiss, 30, was last seen in Ogden on May 18 at a bar called Rock House with two men. She was seen earlier that day at the post office, where she reportedly opened a letter and her mood changed drastically.

Meiss is a military veteran who suffers from PTSD. She allegedly called an Army friend on May 19 and told the person she was feeling down. She missed a visitation with her children on May 20.

Nothing in it that hasn't been mentioned on the thread by her father. The only thing that stands out is the way the call the following day is described as "allegedly". Which means that LE hasn't been able to trace down that call yet. Even if you block your number the phone carrier knows the number the call came from even if the recipient doesn't. Hopefully, law enforcement will be able to trace that out soon.

In the latest RCPD post from post #6, the next article is about a man who is attacking female joggers wearing headphones and ponytails. A bit odd, but unsure how close to the area Ashley was jogging from.

In the latest RCPD post from post #6, the next article is about a man who is attacking female joggers wearing headphones and ponytails. A bit odd, but unsure how close to the area Ashley was jogging from.

My understanding is that Ashley returned from her jog and went missing 2 days later after having been seen at the post office opening a letter that upset her.

My understanding is that Ashley returned from her jog and went missing 2 days later after having been seen at the post office opening a letter that upset her.

That’s my understanding as well, except that I do not believe she returned home after her jog (“‘She stayed somewhere Thursday, she stayed somewhere Friday,’ [Ashley’s brother] Chris said, hoping someone who took her in would come forward.”):

Thurs., May 17: “Former Army military police office Ashley Meiss, 30, left her Ogden, Kansas, home for a jog on May 17 without her keys, wallet or phone.”

[Ashley’s dad, T Lewis has posted:
1. “Ashley's friend saw her leave the apartment on Thursday and Ashley told her she was going for a run.”

and

2. “Her apartment was locked. The detective in charge and I went completely through her apartment. I could not find her apartment key on her keychain. I had the locks replaced before I left KS. Nothing seems to be missing.”]

Fri., May 18: “Meiss was spotted ... at a post office, where she received one letter that appeared to contain bad news, her dad said.

‘The postal clerk knew for sure that it was Ashley,’ he said, explaining she’s conspicuous in the 2,000-person town because of her tattoos and partially shaved head. ‘She had one piece of mail, read that mail and her demeanor changed, so it was probably bad news of some sort.’

Later, she showed up at a community center where she had previously volunteered, Lewis said. Some people reported seeing her at a bar later that evening, according to [Paul] Neubecker [“who was stationed with Meiss in Germany”].

But she had not yet been reported missing, so her appearance didn’t raise any red flags.”

[T Lewis has also posted:
“Yes, the detective has interviewed them. Also, I went to the bar and met with the two gentlemen and spoke to several other people there. She wasn't there long and only had 1-2 drinks.”]

Sat., May 19:
“But on Saturday, she phoned an old Army buddy from a blocked number, and told the friend ‘she was really feeling down about everything’ — the divorce, the custody battle, her dad said.

That was the last time anyone heard from her.”

[Again from T Lewis:
“Ashley spoke to an old Army MP friend on Saturday around 0930 which makes me think that nothing bad happened at the bar Friday evening. Although, there are some shady actors there.”]

Sun., May 20:
“‘On Sunday, she had visitation with her kids and she missed that,’ Lewis said. ‘For her not to show up for the visitation, there’s something wrong. She would never miss that.’”

https://nypost.com/2018/05/27/family-pleads-for-missing-soldier-battling-ptsd-to-come-home/

From the same NY Post article:
“Police could not trace the phone number she called from, but Chris said the family is holding out hope, because her Facebook account indicated someone had been using her account, and only the family and police have access to it, Chris said.”

Can’t stop thinking about Ashley.

Is it known for certain that Ashley stayed elsewhere on Thursday night and Friday? If so, is it known who it is she stayed with? Does Ashley have friends in Ogden and nearby? What have they had to say?

The friend that was called from the blocked number was said to be someone Ashley was stationed with in Germany. That is past tense. Where is that individual located now?

At points this case lends itself to someone with PTSD that is depressed and possibly despondent. So, in terms of being upset about the letter I would like to know if upset meant angry or if upset meant crying/depressed/despondent. Did the witness at the post office characterize one way or another?

One of the things about this case that stands out is that in this divorce situation her husband is living in their home while she is living elsewhere and her husband has physical custody of the children and she has visitation. Usually in contested divorces in this country men get de-boned like chickens. While Ashley has issues with PTSD and possibly other things is there more to that going on in terms of how this divorce is playing out in court? Ashley seems to be on the "losing" side (there are no winners in divorce hence the quotes) of important court decisions. It is very uncommon to see things play out that way.

She apparently started a job recently at a hair/beauty place(?) and was said to have gone to a place she volunteers so she also can successfully do that so her difficulties with PTSD and other things doesn't seem to get in the way of being employed and doing other things. Naturally things can change quickly so it doesn't necessarily mean anything.

Was Ashley on medication? If so, then: Had she stopped taking it? Was her medication found in her apartment?

At other points this case has her out and not returning to her apartment for two nights and being in a bar where her father described some of the patrons as being shady when he was there. Is that something she has been known to do - not stay at home for a day or two? Has Ashley built a new circle of friends? That sort of thing could lend itself to being around people that could cause her harm, such as drug use or even foul play.

One other possibility, since Ashley is not doing too well in the divorce is that Ashley may have taken off or is hiding to try and get law enforcement to look at her husband for being responsible for Ashley missing in order to get the court to reverse, modify, or nullify any of the decisions the court has made so far. It wouldn't be the first time we have seen something like that in a missing person's case at WebSleuths. We just had one of those in South Carolina a month or perhaps 6 weeks back.

The only source for a new story comes from a site with limited views unless you are a subscriber.

Nothing in it that hasn't been mentioned on the thread by her father. The only thing that stands out is the way the call the following day is described as "allegedly". Which means that LE hasn't been able to trace down that call yet. Even if you block your number the phone carrier knows the number the call came from even if the recipient doesn't. Hopefully, law enforcement will be able to trace that out soon.

The Police tell us the Saturday (2 weeks ago and last communication from Ashley) "Unknown Caller" phone call that Ashley made was blocked via an application thus Verizon is not able to view the phone number and "Ping" the location.. This type of application is becoming more common and very frustrating to law enforcement.

You are correct. Jog on Thursday evening, seen Friday 3 times, brief phone call to friend on Saturday around 10 am. Not sure where she stayed Thursday and Friday night. Not heard from since Saturday (May 19th).

Is it known for certain that Ashley stayed elsewhere on Thursday night and Friday? If so, is it known who it is she stayed with? Does Ashley have friends in Ogden and nearby? What have they had to say?

The friend that was called from the blocked number was said to be someone Ashley was stationed with in Germany. That is past tense. Where is that individual located now?

At points this case lends itself to someone with PTSD that is depressed and possibly despondent. So, in terms of being upset about the letter I would like to know if upset meant angry or if upset meant crying/depressed/despondent. Did the witness at the post office characterize one way or another?

One of the things about this case that stands out is that in this divorce situation her husband is living in their home while she is living elsewhere and her husband has physical custody of the children and she has visitation. Usually in contested divorces in this country men get de-boned like chickens. While Ashley has issues with PTSD and possibly other things is there more to that going on in terms of how this divorce is playing out in court? Ashley seems to be on the "losing" side (there are no winners in divorce hence the quotes) of important court decisions. It is very uncommon to see things play out that way.

She apparently started a job recently at a hair/beauty place(?) and was said to have gone to a place she volunteers so she also can successfully do that so her difficulties with PTSD and other things doesn't seem to get in the way of being employed and doing other things. Naturally things can change quickly so it doesn't necessarily mean anything.

Was Ashley on medication? If so, then: Had she stopped taking it? Was her medication found in her apartment?

At other points this case has her out and not returning to her apartment for two nights and being in a bar where her father described some of the patrons as being shady when he was there. Is that something she has been known to do - not stay at home for a day or two? Has Ashley built a new circle of friends? That sort of thing could lend itself to being around people that could cause her harm, such as drug use or even foul play.

One other possibility, since Ashley is not doing too well in the divorce is that Ashley may have taken off or is hiding to try and get law enforcement to look at her husband for being responsible for Ashley missing in order to get the court to reverse, modify, or nullify any of the decisions the court has made so far. It wouldn't be the first time we have seen something like that in a missing person's case at WebSleuths. We just had one of those in South Carolina a month or perhaps 6 weeks back.

Ashley's MP friend that she served with in Germany is located in Ohio and offered to fly her there to get away for a while, but Ashley declined her offer.

All Ashley's friends have been interviewed by the police and no one knows where she stayed Thursday and Friday night. I guess someone could be untruthful.

I spoke to the witness at the Post Office as did the police and Ashley's brother. Ashley's behavior changed to a depressed state (not tearful, etc.) and she told the clerk to have good day in a somber way. Ashley is normally upbeat and gregarious.

Ashley is on a mood enhancement medication and Xanax for anxiety that she rarely takes except to help her sleep sometimes. I found her Xanax in the apartment.

The bar is 4 blocks from her apartment and she would stop by occasionally (usually with her bulldog) to socialize with friends. Ashley was well liked by everyone. Her primary weakness was that she was too trusting and willing to help almost anyone. I've seen people take advantage of her generosity before. Ashley has never been known to not stay at her own place and just go missing. I made it a point to talk to her often, especially with the very difficult divorce.

Would Ashley play this missing game with a motive to hurt her husband during the divorce? It's slightly possible, but I could never see her hurting her children or immediate family in this way even if she was in a complete psychotic state of mind.

Has LE vetted the 2 males seen with Ashley in the bar on the 18th?

Yes, as well as me. The one gentleman gave me a bad feeling. I'm a former Marine that's 6'4" 240 lbs. and put the fear of _____ in him. He better hope that nothing has happened to my daughter. It was a major relieve to here she made the call to a friend Saturday morning. My other son is still in KS and has eyes on him. I'm sorry, but I cant say anymore than that.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CurtisEmant
Back