GUILTY KS - Harold 'Hal' Sasko, 52, murdered in his Lawrence home, 14 Jan 2014

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
But Carl Cornwell, McLinn’s attorney, said he hoped to work out a plea deal with prosecutors rather than have the case go to trial. The “Hard 50” sentence prosecutors are seeking could make that challenging, he explained.
---
After McLinn’s appearance Monday, Cornwell called the case “strange,” adding: “I’m as perplexed as I have been in a long time.” He suggested the case would produce some “aha” moments.

McLinn’s mother, father, sister and friends attended her court appearance. Cornwell said McLinn was “embarrassed” to see them.

“I’m not going to say she’s admitted to doing anything,” Cornwell said. “I’m just suggesting the case isn’t a matter of who has done it, but why.”
---
Prosecution seeking ‘Hard 50’ for Lawrence murder suspect McLinn. (www2.ljw.com)

I'm not from this area, so I don't know this attorney, but I've heard others say that he is supposed to be good. Keeping in mind that the newspaper, clips comments and only prints part of the whole interview, I thought his comments were interesting and contradictory. To come out wanting a plea bargin, and to say that it is not a question of "who" but "why" seems to imply that he already knows that she is guilty.

Based on what some said on the previous "Missing" thread, they seemed perple-blxed with the way the law enforcement were acting, but after she was found it seems that there was enough evidence at the scene that they knew it was her and were hoping she would come forward. The next day after he was murdered, she was in South Texas calling twice to someone back home on gas station attendant's phones. The law enforcement there notified the Lawrence police department. Really makes me curious about how she acted and what she said that would cause the gas station people to get involved. She covered alot of ground quickly in her travel. She was also captured on video. Not much as been said about this. It will be interesting, and if she killed him in cold-blood, as they indicate, I hope they don't give her a plea bargin. Her attorney whimpers that 50 years is like a death sentence for her. So what? If she took a life as heartlessly as it sounds, she should be in jail for life.

http://www.kansascity.com/2014/03/30/4925786/lawyer-says-sarah-gonzales-mclinn.html

LAWRENCE — The lawyer for a 19-year-old Kansas woman accused of killing her 52-year-old housemate says his client doesn’t deny killing the man.

“This one is particularly sad,” Cornwell said, “and not because Mr. Sasko’s dead – that’s a given. That’s horrible. He’s not going to be able to see his daughter or his family. That is horrible. But what got my client to that day and why she did what she did, I am having trouble wrapping my brain around it.”

Well, that figures. Sasko isn't here to defend himself, and now he is going to be murdered all over again. This gal could have left at anytime. She had a family she could go to. No excuse.!

http://www.kansascity.com/2014/05/16/v-print/5029326/lawrence-businessman-was-drugged.html

Brown testified that Sasko had sent a text message days before his death to apologize for trying to have sex with McLinn. But during their interview, McLinn told Brown she killed Sasko because she “wanted to see what it felt like to kill someone.”

McLinn told him she had violent thoughts and decided five days before Sasko’s death that she would kill him.

Brown also testified that McLinn said she practiced first on a rabbit that she bought, killed, skinned and ate at home with Sasko.

A Douglas County District Court judge has ruled that recorded statements regarding the slaying of a Lawrence businessman were voluntarily made by a teenage defendant and may be used at her upcoming trial for first-degree murder.

Judge Paula Martin made the ruling Thursday in the case of Sarah B. Gonzales McLinn, who is accused of killing Harold M. Sako, 52, in mid-January at Sasko’s Lawrence home, where McLinn, 19, was living at the time.

http://www2.ljworld.com/news/2014/jul/03/teens-recorded-statements-slaying-lawrence-busines/

You may have to answer a question to be able to read the article.

Trial scheduled to begin Jan. 5, 2015 according to the article.

http://www2.ljworld.com/news/2014/dec/04/trial-continued-woman-accused-slaying-cicis-pizza-/

Both the prosecution and defense in the case of a Lawrence woman accused of killing and nearly decapitating Cici’s Pizza franchise owner Harold M. Sasko in January requested on Thursday to delay the trial from its previously scheduled Jan. 5, 2015, date...

At a preliminary hearing in May, law enforcement and Douglas County Coroner Erik Mitchell testified that McLinn put crushed sleeping pills into Sasko’s beer, bound his wrists and ankles, and plunged a hunting knife into his neck...

The court will set McLinn’s new jury trial date at her next court appearance on Dec. 18.

http://www2.ljworld.com/news/2015/jan/28/attorneys-debate-mental-illness-defense-murder-cic/

A Douglas County district judge ruled Wednesday that statements a 20-year-old woman made to her psychologist could be admitted during the woman’s trial on charges of first-degree murder...

At issue were McLinn’s statements about abuse she said she suffered as a child and information about Sasko’s conduct while he was alive. The psychologist McLinn gave the statements to was hired by the defense to assess her mental state when she killed Sasko...

Branson also said parts of the report that discussed Sasko’s alleged behavior should not be allowed in court, either. Branson said the portion he wished to prohibit the jury from seeing included “self-serving statements” McLinn made to the psychologist “with regard to things told to her by Sasko.” “Unless she takes the stand, the state cannot cross-examine (her statements),” Branson said. “Any damning conduct by him should not be admissible.”

http://cjonline.com/news/2015-02-27...onzales-mclinn-declines-plea-offer-connection

Topeka native Sarah Brooke Gonzales McLinn, 20, has declined a plea offered to her by the Douglas County District Attorney’s Office in connection with the stabbing death of Harold Sasko...

Defense attorney Carl Cornwell said Friday an undisclosed plea had been offered to his client McLinn, he talked to her about it and she turned down the offer.

District County Court Judge Paula Martin directly asked McLinn whether she had rejected a plea agreement, and the defendant said she had.

I am hoping to catch a couple of days of this trial in person. The article said it was supposed to last 5 days so I should b able to.

McLinn trial: Jury selection begins in CiCi’s Pizza owner slaying case

Douglas County District Attorney Charles Branson and defense attorney Carl Cornwell began jury selection Monday morning in the first-degree murder trial of Sarah Gonzales McLinn, 20, of Lawrence.

McLinn is charged with intentional, premeditated murder in the Jan. 14, 2014, death of Harold “Hal” Sasko, 52, of Lawrence. McLinn lived with Sasko during the time of his death and had previously worked for him at Sasko’s CiCi’s Pizza restaurant.

http://www2.ljworld.com/news/2015/mar/16/mclinn-trial-jury-selection-begins-cicis-pizza-own/

You will have to answer a question or 2 to view the article.

You can also view Caitlin Doornbos on Twitter as she will be tweeting.

Caitlin Doornbos ‏@CaitlinDoornbos 25m25 minutes ago
Another potential juror said Judge to continue individual questioning until 5:30, & if they don't have 13 people, all will return tomorrow.

I still hope to attend some of this trial just not sure which days yet.

Can this be moved to Trials thank you.

Caitlin Doornbos ‏@CaitlinDoornbos 3m3 minutes ago
Judge dismissed for the day all but 12 yet to be individually questioned. Voir dire to continue until 6pm & will begin again in the morning.

It doesn't say if they have selected any juror's yet. hmmm

Caitlin Doornbos ‏@CaitlinDoornbos 2h2 hours ago
Jury and alternate selected. 8 men, 5 women. Two of the men appear to be McLinn's age. #McLinnTrial

Caitlin Doornbos ‏@CaitlinDoornbos 1h1 hour ago Kansas, USA
Opening statements soon to begin. As always, the state (Branson) will begin, defense (Cornwell) will go second.

Nearly all seats in the courtroom are taken. McLinn has about 20 supporters on her side.

In opening statement, prosecutor David Melton – second chair to Branson – shows picture of "Hal" Sasko in t-shirt, smiling.

Caitlin Doornbos ‏@CaitlinDoornbos 58m58 minutes ago Kansas, USA
"(McLinn) took a large, black survival knife w/ long blade, cutting away skin, muscle arteries, veins and (Sasko's) asphogus." -Melton

Caitlin Doornbos ‏@CaitlinDoornbos 55m55 minutes ago Kansas, USA
Melton says he'll show the court McLinn's confession where she tells how she killed Sasko, planned it out, and where she went afterward.

Caitlin Doornbos ‏@CaitlinDoornbos 53m53 minutes ago Kansas, USA
Melton says Cornwell will argue McLinn suffers from dissociative identity disorder – or multiple personalities.

Caitlin Doornbos ‏@CaitlinDoornbos 50m50 minutes ago Kansas, USA
Melton: McLinn admitted to thinking about killing someone for 2 years. Did internet searches like "vulnerable neck spots" day before murder.

Caitlin Doornbos ‏@CaitlinDoornbos 40m40 minutes ago Kansas, USA
Melton: McLinn soaked towel in Sasko's blood, wiped white wall with it, and wrote the word "Freedom" in it.

Caitlin Doornbos ‏@CaitlinDoornbos 35m35 minutes ago Kansas, USA
Cornwell opens w/ McLinn's sexual assault allegations. Neighbor raped her w/ "garden instrument" at 3, 4 & 5. McLinn sobbing uncontrollably.

Caitlin Doornbos ‏@CaitlinDoornbos 34m34 minutes ago Topeka, KS
Cornwell said another man raped her again when she was a teenager. Man then held her down, took her hand and burned her with cigarette.

Caitlin Doornbos ‏@CaitlinDoornbos 31m31 minutes ago Topeka, KS
Cornwell: McLinn began living w/Sasko at 17 in a Lawrence apartment. Sasko co-signed loans for McLinn's nose job and "buttocks enhancement."

Caitlin Doornbos ‏@CaitlinDoornbos 29m29 minutes ago Topeka, KS
Now Cornwell said "Sarah" died after the rape, then "Alyssa" took over. Another personality is named "Vanessa" and a third has no name...

Caitlin Doornbos ‏@CaitlinDoornbos 26m26 minutes ago Topeka, KS
Cornwell: "Alyssa" tried to kill Sasko, "Vanessa" took over & stops it, then "Alyssa" comes back and stabs Sasko. "Sarah is dead."

Caitlin Doornbos ‏@CaitlinDoornbos 24m24 minutes ago Topeka, KS
Cornwell implies sexual relationship between Sasko and McLinn, says McLinn was "being used and abused and manipulated as a young adult."

Caitlin Doornbos ‏@CaitlinDoornbos 22m22 minutes ago Topeka, KS
Text to McLinn from Sasko night before his death: "Sorry about last night when I pressured you to have sex, let’s talk about it."

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gretyr
Back