Found Deceased KS - Lucas Hernandez, 5, Wichita, 17 Feb 2018 #1

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Folks, I am going to speak up about the teeth issue- many of you are assuming that neglect was done with the rotting teeth, but there are cases of children and adults with cleft palate that this occurs, no matter how often you brush your teeth. It has to do with abnormal salivary glands causing an acidic environment as well as excess bacteria- through no fault of any parents or guardians. There can be hereditary,.

For this reason, I am going to give the parents a pass on this. I'll give you a link so you can read up more on this subject:

https://dental.washington.edu/dental-problems-cleft-lip-palate-linked-abnormal-salivary-glands/

FindLucasAllen have said up thread, that is not a medical issue when asked if it was a medical issue or neglect.

ETA:

Is there a medical reason for that or was it strictly neglect?

There wasn’t a medical reason for it

Folks, I am going to speak up about the teeth issue- many of you are assuming that neglect was done with the rotting teeth, but there are cases of children and adults with cleft palate that this occurs, no matter how often you brush your teeth. It has to do with abnormal salivary glands causing an acidic environment as well as excess bacteria- through no fault of any parents or guardians. There can be hereditary,.

For this reason, I am going to give the parents a pass on this. I'll give you a link so you can read up more on this subject:

https://dental.washington.edu/dental-problems-cleft-lip-palate-linked-abnormal-salivary-glands/

Dental neglect is very hard to prove in court. Since we can not read the medical/dental records then we have no idea what was happening. The majority of the states have a rule that it can't be no more than 3 yrs for a routine medical or dental checkup. Dentists are mandatory reporters as well but it is rare that DHS would get a call from a dentist. If a parent refuses a child's treatment plan at the dentist office then they call. But if a parent shows interest in achieving and following through with the treatment then they have no worries about DHS being called.

Me too. I can’t get past the idea of how much pain Lucas must have endured while his teeth decayed to that level. As we all know, that doesn’t happen overnight - it takes a long period of time to get to that state. Not to mention the darkened appearance of rotting teeth, especially his front teeth, would be apparent and have to be blatantly ignored to become that bad. Heavy, heavy sigh.

I deleted my Baby Bottle Mouth comment as I don’t want anyone to misinterpret my intent if this was indeed due to his medical condition.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

H

Everyone living in a house where the child lives is informed of DHS involvement. If the complaint is verified as being true then all adults in the home will be summoned to juvenile court.

Thanks for the quick response. Forgive my lack of knowledge about CPS involvement. So, are the adults living in the home informed of the exact incident/allegation which was the basis for the report?
EXAMPLE: "I'm here because we received a report that Lucas was strong-armed by his stepmother last week which left visible marks"
Or
EXAMPLE "I'm here because there are concerns about the safety of Lucas." (But nothing specifically noted?)

*ETA stressing the point again that these are examples only*

Whenever I see a child with those silver fillings and missing teeth, I just assume it's what used to be called "bottle mouth" (baby bottle tooth decay). Generally caused by the parent or caretaker giving the baby a sugary liquid filled bottle way too often (as a pacifier, at bed time, nap time, etc.)

I keep asking myself what prompted LE to check this particular area. I wish they would tell us because there is no way Lucas has walked to this area.
I can only think of a few reasons. 1. Stepmums phone pinged in that area. 2. There was a sighting of Lucas or a family member in that area around the time he went missing. 3. CCTV shows stepmum or another family members car travelling in that area. I can't think of a good reason for them to be searching there and I have tried to. Can anyone else think of a good reason?

Some kids are just more prone to tooth problems due to the type of saliva they have or the way their teeth are. Since we don't know more details of his dental/medical history other than 2nd hand info, I can't judge the parents based on this. Especially since he has a cleft palate.

Some kids are just more prone to tooth problems due to the type of saliva they have or the way their teeth are. Since we don't know more details of his dental/medical history other than 2nd hand info, I can't judge the parents based on this. Especially since he has a cleft palate.

I'm ignoring the teeth issue for the moment. We don't know enough and it might not have anything to do with his disappearance.

jmopinion

Whenever I see a child with those silver fillings and missing teeth, I just assume it's what used to be called "bottle mouth" (baby bottle tooth decay). Generally caused by the parent or caretaker giving the baby a sugary liquid filled bottle way too often (as a pacifier, at bed time, nap time, etc.)

Full disclosure— I had 3 in my front teeth because I busted mine up pushing a porch swing that fought me back square in the mouth. I was only 3 1/2 and still forming speech, so they needed to put something there to help me be able to learn to make proper sounds, etc... But yes. You are correct in most cases! :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

FindLucasAllen have said up thread, that is not a medical issue when asked if it was a medical issue or neglect.

ETA:

To me, Lucas having silver teeth put in proves that a parent was seeking dental care. Those silver teeth take time to put in, and honestly, we don't know if the parents even discussed this with the relatives as to what was going on with his teeth. We've had relatives that didn't know our older two kids had braces, because they didn't see them during the time they had them on. Sometimes parents don't share everything medically with others in the family- whether it's because they don't see them often, don't talk to them often, or perhaps they just don't bring something like this up, especially in front of the child.

I usually think the same thing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

To me, Lucas having silver teeth put in proves that a parent was seeking dental care. Those silver teeth take time to put in, and honestly, we don't know if the parents even discussed this with the relatives as to what was going on with his teeth. We've had relatives that didn't know our older two kids had braces, because they didn't see them during the time they had them on. Sometimes parents don't share everything medically with others in the family- whether it's because they don't see them often, don't talk to them often, or perhaps they just don't bring something like this up, especially in front of the child.

I agree. I just thought I'd bring forward what little we had to go on. :)

Thanks for the quick response. Forgive my lack of knowledge about CPS involvement. So, are the adults living in the home informed of the exact incident/allegation which was the basis for the report?
EXAMPLE: "I'm here because we received a report that Lucas was strong-armed by his stepmother last week which left visible marks"
Or
EXAMPLE "I'm here because there are concerns about the safety of Lucas." (But nothing specifically noted?)

Yes, all adults are informed of what the complaint is regarding. It really depends on the nature of the complaint on how they proceed next. If a medical professional reports an issue and the facts prove there is abuse then the child is taken away immediately and the long court process begins but if the complaint is due to lack of clothes and food and everything else like medical or dental care is up to date then the adults in the residence will show up for many meetings at the local office where resources will be available. A refrigerator or freezer needs at least one meat item and milk present if they check . Sad but true. I saw a lot of hot dog pkgs in refrigerators which was a sign to me that the family was visited before.

From the fb article, it says he was last seen in his room at 3pm. Wonder why it took until 6:15 to call the police? I suppose he could have been napping, but why not say that?

Just saw the other posts; my bad! Step mom/gf was napping.

Or

Initially they would say almost exactly what you said as your second example and then after gaining access interview the parent they would disclose what specifically was alleged. Which is when some parents become irate because then they think they know who reported them for example "I thought that nurse at the pediatrician's office was a nosey b****"

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

FindLucasAllen said up thread, when asked "Was the teeth rotting a medical issue or neglect", they responded with "It was not a medical issue". So I think we can take it as the latter.

ETA:

100% his cleft palate would have had SOMETHING to do with his teeth rotting. Children born with cleft palate have a higher chance of early tooth decay. They need more dental care than the average child (obviously) and I think FindLucasAllen was eluding to Lucas maybe not receiving this extra care. So a mix of medical and neglect.

100% his cleft palate would have had SOMETHING to do with his teeth rotting. Children born with cleft palate have a higher chance of early tooth decay. They need more dental care than the average child (obviously) and I think FindLucasAllen was eluding to Lucas maybe not receiving this extra care. So a mix of medical and neglect.

I understand. I was just bringing forward to small amount of information we have to go on here. :) I'm not stating that anyone is wrong, if that is the impression I'm giving off. I have since edited my post, as I was so unclear on what I was trying to say. I can speak more than one language, yet I seriously messed that up. Apologies :)

I agree. I just thought I'd bring forward what little we had to go on. :)

I hear you hun. Trust me, if anyone is responsible for this boy's disappearance and harm has come to it, I'll be vocal about my thoughts on the person/people that harmed him. I just don't want to accuse or make assumptions about something that may have been out of the parent's control. They'll be plenty of other things to blame on the suspect(s) (if there is one) when that time comes. Praying that he is somewhere safe, warm, and no harm has come to him.

I hear you hun. Trust me, if anyone is responsible for this boy's disappearance and harm has come to it, I'll be vocal about my thoughts on the person/people that harmed him. I just don't want to accuse or make assumptions about something that may have been out of the parent's control. They'll be plenty of other things to blame on the suspect(s) (if there is one) when that time comes. Praying that he is somewhere safe, warm, and no harm has come to him.

I couldn't agree with you more. I wish it didn't appear to be heading down that road, but here we go again, sleuths. How many more :(

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MiaCarmela