Found Deceased KS - Lucas Hernandez, 5, Wichita, 17 Feb 2018 #17 *Arrest*

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
MsMarple, as always, I enjoy reading your posts. Thoughtful, accurate, and descriptive. I want to piggyback off of some of your statements here. As a social worker, I am right there with you, agreeing that change is needed in our child welfare system. I can also sit here with you and spout out a list a mile long of things that need to change. I would put at the top of that list: funding. I'm not trying to make this about money, but the fact of the matter is, social services is underfunded already, and we are constantly facing budget cuts. This causes us to have unimaginable, and sometimes illegally-high caseloads. So many child clients that at times, it is literally impossible to do everything that is necessary for your position. This is across the board-investigators, case managers, family centered (preventative) services, alternative care (foster care) workers, and everybody in between. Due to our lack of funding, we are constantly losing good workers/people who simply can't afford to do this job. I have a master's degree, and without my husband's income, our family would easily be approved for the very social services that I refer my clients to (food stamps, medicaid, etc.) I am currently a foster care case manager, and my caseload paired with my required duties is just nuts. Court reports have to be on time, court dates don't get rescheduled just because I'm busy, meetings every single day for each of my 12 cases (children), including one case that is a sibling set of 3 (all in separate residences at this time), documentation legally required to be uploaded into our state database within a certain timeframe, authorizations for therapists/support services payments and subsidies, the list goes on. I have said this before, but even if I was to work 12 hour days, 7 days a week, I would not be able to get everything done, ever. That being said, the one thing that I cannot miss or slack on is home or placement visits, which I do twice a month for each child. This is critical to make sure that everything is appropriate and together, and I always spend some time with the child alone, in a separate area away from the foster parents or facility staff, just to talk. Even in doing this, there is no real way to ensure their safety. By doing this, I am seeing the child for a couple of hours per month (2 visits is our agency standard, we are legally obligated to only one visit per month with the child).
Next suggestion, to piggyback again off of your comments here, would be a nationwide database. We do not have one. At my previous job, doing IIS (Intensive In Home Services), we worked with families at risk of their children coming into care in attempts to keep the family together and ensure safety. There was a case where we had suspicions of a male roommate being inappropriate, and it took us 7 weeks (one week after our case closed) to hear back from another state (one that we reached out to as a known previous residence), when it was confirmed that he has a POE and cannot have contact with children. Not only was this frustrating and unacceptable, but the heightened risk of harm to those children while under our supervision was literally unavoidable. I repeatedly went to CD (my agency was contracted through CD) with my concerns, and their FCS worker as well as their supervisor agreed with my concerns. Unfortunately, we cannot legally do anything based on a gut feeling.
Finally, I agree with your sentiment that it can appear that the focus is more on the parents and keeping the family together as opposed to the focus being on the child. In the last few years, we have incorporated SOS training, Signs of Safety, which is now the foundation of everything that we do. GAL's are trained in SOS, therapists, Juvenile Officers, Case Managers, Children's Division, and everyone in between. While this is family oriented, it is safety centered. It allows us to provide bottom lines as it pertains to the safety of the children at risk. Once this is implemented nationally, I really feel that we will see fewer instances of cases like this. Yes, we work with the family, and provide them services to help them get it together, when safety is perceived as a possibility (which is determined by the court, btw, not by any of us). SOS provides us with the tools to all be on the same page and hold parents accountable for their responsibilities as it pertains to their children and their parenting (which can include sobriety, parenting classes, therapies-whatever is dictated in their service/treatment plan, which is laid out by the judge).
Finally, I agree that if we were legally able to pull kids from the home whenever we saw fit, there would not be enough foster homes or group homes or residential facilities. We are already grasping at straws for placements for our kids, so this would require many, many people to step in and step up to care for these kids. Further, it would require an understanding that it is proven that the act of removing a child from their home and into foster care or residential facilities is equally if not more traumatizing for the child than the actual reason for removal. This re-traumatization then continues each time that the child is moved (from foster home to foster home, or to treatment facility, residential living, etc.). So in effect, we are traumatizing these children just as much as the abuse or neglect that brought them into care. This is the reason policies and procedures are geared towards keeping families together safely when possible. Family can be an aunt or uncle, grandparent, neighbor-whoever is familiar and safe to the child. The key word there is 'safely', which is where SOS comes into play. If we can't ensure safety, then the child can't be there. We just have to jump through a bunch of hoops to prove it.

I was a social worker for over 32 years, and it isn't for everyone. Ultimately, abuse is the fault of the abuser and no one else. Social workers can't live with the families in their caseloads. In a perfect world, we wouldn't be trying to find solutions to the same problems with just a different generation of mistreated children and adults. Legislation is needed for stronger and longer incarceration for these offences. The entire scenario is out of control and not helping where intervention is desperately needed.

We now know she spoke to JH on the 17th by phone before she laid down for her nap and woke up to Lucas gone.

Glass also told police that earlier that day she went to the garage, smoked a cigarette and talked to Hernandez by phone. She went inside, took a shower, noticed that Lucas was asleep and laid down for the nap. When she woke up around 6 p.m., she changed her daughter’s diaper. She looked around the house and couldn’t find Lucas. She noted the back door was open about three-quarters of an inch because it wouldn’t shut.
http://www.kansas.com/news/local/crime/article208704089.html

If my back door wouldn't shut I'd never be able to sleep. Just sayin'

I think these dated 2 and 3 days after he was reported missing show that they were gathering evidence against EG, not that they were never reported.
They had her number shortly after she reported him missing and never believed that he was abducted or walked out of that house.
Yes. And the DCF report is incorrect. It was reported on the 17th as soon as we were told he was missing. I made that report right before I drove to Wichita to speak to LE in person as a way to make sure that every detail I could remember was documented. I have a letter from dcf stating that they'll be investigating my call (Which was a punch to the gut to receive).

I don't want anyone to respond to this but: I will never stop wishing I had done more. I will never stop feeling guilty that I didn't personally take more action. At the time, we felt like we were. We were told they were investigating so we trusted that they were.

Sent from my SM-S327VL using Tapatalk

Yes. And the DCF report is incorrect. It was reported on the 17th as soon as we were told he was missing. I made that report right before I drove to Wichita to speak to LE in person as a way to make sure that every detail I could remember was documented. I have a letter from dcf stating that they'll be investigating my call (Which was a punch to the gut to receive).

I don't want anyone to respond to this but: I will never stop wishing I had done more. I will never stop feeling guilty that I didn't personally take more action. At the time, we felt like we were. We were told they were investigating so we trusted that they were.
Unfortunately, you had no rights. You did what you thought was best at the time, and at that time it was your very best. There's no way anyone would have predicted this outcome, or this level of anger inside that home except maybe some doctors, school teachers, and CPS. They gaslighted you, and everyone else. Every case in WS is filled with guilt based on hindsight. I know it's a natural part of the process, but you are in no way at fault here. Not even slightly. I'm so sorry. This is the first case I have cried about. I wish I could help you feel better. :grouphug:

I have a couple things. Stomach aches and tumultuous household. I had an ulcer in the 3rd grade due to stress i was under. I peed my pants whenever my dad spanked me, because i was so scared of him, then i got spanked for peeing. I never had visible bruises, except when i got a split lip which hapoened in front of family friends who lived across the street. No one ever spoke about the abuse, ever. My mom finally figured out she could deflect her beatings to me.to this day my parents will deny any of it. Only one person apologized for not taking me away. Kids live like this. What makes me mad is that people were talking and calling and nothing was done. That makes me most mad. I still stand by my opinion of what happened. She went too far and lucas died and she had to hide him. However, the stomach aches. Was it pinesol in the soup (example only) or was it a hit to the torso causing internal damage, or was it an ulcer from the stress of it all. This poor boy. I wonder if that nurse hated having to call emily to pick him up. I wonder if he lived in constant fear when alone with her. Sent from my LGLS992 using Tapatalk

This upsets me the most too. I remember having special lessons or visitors in grade school. The message was that if anyone was hurting us we should tell a trusted adult so we could be protected. How many kids find out the hard way that it might make things worse?

That is what has hit me most hard in this case. There was hardly a photo taken of him where he didnt have a bruise or goose egg.

Sent from my LGLS992 using Tapatalk

This gets me too -- who took that photo? If it was EG, she had some nerve--almost like a dare. If it was someone else, they were either collecting evidence or they were convinced by EG's story of a rough & tumble little boy.

The things that confuses me some is EG wasn't hiding Lucas, she sent him to school with the bruises, she had him at drs at least twice that we know of, she had him out meeting neighbors the week he disappeared.

Well sje had that practioners note stating injuries consistant with an accidental fall.

Right but she sent him to school with the bruises before she had the note from the nurse practitioner, I would of thought she would of kept him out of school until the injuries healed some so no one would question it.

But you cant miss too much school or the state gets envolved. Probably the reason the the temporary tatoos.

She was bold in her lying, wasn't she? It's similar to what tninth was saying earlier about EG being "enabled"--I would say "emboldened"--by continuing to do her thing without getting caught or called on it. Family brought up their concerns, and she wiggled out of it and received support from JH turning his back on family. The school raised concerns and she handled it with stories and a doctor's note. She thought she was untouchable.

I don't know. It was interesting how the article said that the one-year old is "allegedly" JH's child.

EG has a tendency to attack Lucas after she has fights with JH? Did they have a fight around VDay? Did EG take it out on Lucas? Did it take until Friday night for Lucas to expire from something that happened on the Tuesday or Wednesday? Even if there was a beating I can't quite understand why EG wouldn't take Lucas to the emergency room and make up another lie about how he got hurt, expecting that everyone would believe her just as they have in the past? That's why I am skeptical that it took days for Lucas to die and she didn't get him medical attention and just let him fade away.

The Landlord sighting, the article said that the LL saw Lucas through the front door??? Did Lucas open the door to LL or is there a window in the door that Lucas was seen through? I am so curious what the LL saw of Lucas, was Lucas standing, was he holding his tummy or his arm, did he have bruising on his face, did he have black eyes, a broken nose???

ETA, the description of Friday, leaving Lucas in his room tucked up watching a movie and checking on him and seeing that he'd fallen asleep is pretty much identical to the story of the last time EG claims to have seen L on the Saturday.

The phone call to JH on the Saturday! I wish that had been FB message in typing and not a voice call! I want to know what she said and what he said. How does that phone call tie in with reporting Lucas missing a few hours later? Assuming Lucas had already passed away and removed from the house by EG, what does EG say about Lucas in that phone call?

When I make a decision over whether to call or text, I think of how long it will take me to type rather than say what needs to be said. I don't think of evidence on my phone because I don't have anything to hide--except I have chosen to call about particular subject matter...say, Christmas gifts for kids, etc, so there are no accidental discoveries. EG was bold enough to text the day prior about smoking some bowls. Maybe a call is just a call, but given the date I am also extremely curious. Do you think we'll ever get a straight answer?

I think these dated 2 and 3 days after he was reported missing show that they were gathering evidence against EG, not that they were never reported.
They had her number shortly after she reported him missing and never believed that he was abducted or walked out of that house.

This was how I read the article also -- the reports were made at the time, and DCF turned these reports over to the police during the investigation.

This is not your fault at all, you did everything you could it is DCF dropping the ball by not investigating the reports made in 2017 thoroughly, things would be alot different right now if they had.

How was every claim that Lucas was being abused, how were they all "unfounded"? I could maybe see it if the same person was making all the claims but so many people noted his abuse in detail & notified proper authorities. EG (& possibly JH) made him disappear but Lucas's blood is on the hands of everyone that had the power to stop his abuse. All I can do is cry for this little boy.

The proof is in the pudding.
The bruises were visible.
And Lucas identified his abuser.
What more could he do?
Those that reported it were booted out of his life.
CPS failed him.
His father failed him.
Thats why I suggested that family members go straight to the DA's office with allegations of abuse.
That puts them on the hot seat.
Especially where bruises are visible.

The proof is in the pudding.
The bruises were visible.
And Lucas identified his abuser.
What more could he do?
Those that reported it were booted out of his life.
CPS failed him.
His father failed him.
Thats why I suggested that family members go straight to the DA's office with allegations of abuse.
That puts them on the hot seat.
Especially where bruises are visible.
Not everyone knows what to do. I would never think to call the DA. Maybe now, but even then not until you just posted this. Family did what they could. JH failed his son. JH is responsible for this as much as EG. Putting blame on the family is unfair and i cry party foul!

"Glass told police that Lucas’ mother, Taylor, last saw Lucas in December when the two women “were involved in a physical altercation at Lucas’ school,” the document says. Glass accused Taylor of being a drug addict and said Taylor was not supposed to be around Lucas."

Interesting considering she's now saying Jamie had him on Valentine's Day.

That is interesting!!

omg, I just now logged in since early this morning. There is so much to read to become current but I have seen enough on these last two pages to know its bad, very bad. I am so sorry FLA for you and your family.

P.S. we are in the midst of gigantic wildfires. We can't see our hand in front of our face out in the yard due to the smoke. The fires started 80 miles from us. Two county workers have already lost their lives trying to help firefighters. My sons and husband are out watering our roof down. My son-in-law is a Paramedic and Lieutenant for the OKC Fire Dept. I'm worried. I'm adding FLA and Lucas to my prayers right now.

I think adults that were abused as children should start a movement.
They did not have a voice then. They have one now.
They should come forward with stories about CPS dropping the ball when they were kids.
They could talk about how the obvious abuses in their cases were ignored.
They are adults now.
They cant be ignored.
They are in the position to expose CPS.
Light a fire under their azzes.

omg, I just now logged in since early this morning. There is so much to read to become current but I have seen enough on these last two pages to know its bad, very bad. I am so sorry FLA for you and your family.

P.S. we are in the midst of gigantic wildfires. We can't see our hand in front of our face out in the yard due to the smoke. The fires started 80 miles from us. Two county workers have already lost their lives trying to help firefighters. My sons and husband are out watering our roof down. My son-in-law is a Paramedic and Lieutenant for the OKC Fire Dept. I'm worried. I'm adding FLA and Lucas to my prayers right now.
Will keep you and your family in my prayers. Stay safe - if you need to evacuate - leave. Hugs!

Sent from my Z798BL using Tapatalk

Originally Posted by AFTM My little dog Andee died on Thursday he was only 9 years old. Needless to say I have been very distraught and crying for days. Unable to sleep. I am just lost. His toys are still all around I don't have the heart to put them away.

Well I can't for the life of me understand how EG can sit there in jail like that and not say anything about Lucas. I can't imagine anyone being so cold hearted.

What an evil soul...
Oh, AFTM--I am so sorry to hear about your dog...they are family members and we grieve for them always. My heart aches for you <3

I am just catching up tonight and saw the latest news -- my heart breaks for little Lucas..I am confused on the poisoning though as I did not read that...can someone catch me up, please and thank you

We now know she spoke to JH on the 17th by phone before she laid down for her nap and woke up to Lucas gone.

Glass also told police that earlier that day she went to the garage, smoked a cigarette and talked to Hernandez by phone. She went inside, took a shower, noticed that Lucas was asleep and laid down for the nap. When she woke up around 6 p.m., she changed her daughter&#8217;s diaper. She looked around the house and couldn&#8217;t find Lucas. She noted the back door was open about three-quarters of an inch because it wouldn&#8217;t shut.

Yes this is important. She admits talking to him on the very day LH is reported missing. No time was given for that call to him. She likely had to mention she contacted him because she knew LE would find the phone records.

And she definitely lied about the last time she saw him according to her own statements because look at what she says.

"She told officers that she last saw Lucas at around 3 p.m., that he was in his bedroom playing a game."

But that cant be true because then she says this...

"She went inside, took a shower, noticed that Lucas was asleep and laid down for the nap."

So the last time she saw him she says he was sleeping not playing a game. So what time really was it when she last saw him.

Its all a bunch of crud IMO. The important thing is she admits contacting JH that very day. It would be interesting to know the exact time of any phone calls made that day.

I think adults that were abused as children should start a movement.
They did not have a voice then. They have one now.
They should come forward with stories about CPS dropping the ball when they were kids.
They could talk about how the obvious abuses in their cases were ignored.
They are adults now.
They cant be ignored.
They are in the position to expose CPS.
Compare their cases to more recent ones.
Show how not much has changed.

I think that Emily isn't stupid. She knew how to put on an act. She was probably a charming person, until you got to know her personally. She probably used that "boys will be boys" excuse every time someone questioned a bruise. She probably thought that if she got a note from a doctor that the school would get off her back. If she wasn't able to send Lucas to school at least some of the time, it's very possible that Lucas would have "disappeared" sooner. She sent him to school because she thought she could get away with it. She isn't telling where Lucas is because she thinks she can get away with it. She had people backing her ridiculous stories up. I'm telling you, she's as evil as evil comes.

I keep saying I need to take a break. But I just can't seem to. Something draws me to Lucas. I have love for this little boy who I've never met but wish I would have gotten the chance somehow. This has broken my heart in two. I'm so sorry to all of Lucas's family, those who cared and tried to help him. I'm especially sorry to Lucas though. Sweet sweet Lucas.

I am just like you I feel like I need a break and do take short ones. They are only to rest my back. I feel I owe it to Lucas to be here for him, as he needs the support now more than ever. Lucas needs to know that people on earth really Love Him! He had family that loved him and wasn't allowed to be around him as much as possible. Lucas knew so much hate in his short life, yet he had that infectious smile!

Love you Lucas!

I feel physically ill! Poor lil guy! Dear Lord,please let him be found soon!! The little bit of comfort that I could find from that article came from the school nurse and his teacher. They WERE reporting it..and as a teacher,I know that it isn't done in a vacuum. Tons of reports to fill out. Did I read on here that another terrible case of abuse was overlooked in Kansas? I am following the Joe Daniels case and I saw protesters outside the courthouse today when his parents had some type of hearing. I wish there was some way we could make a law for these poor kids. so many people failed Lucas..THANK YOU to the ones who tried...my heart goes out to you!

I didn't read it that way at all. I read that the nurse took notes about the cuts and bruises and called emily about it. DCF talked to the nurse on Feb 20th after the fact. Sounds to me like they didn't do anything either. Everybody believed everything EG said.

I seem to remember one of the VIs commenting towards the beginning of this case that EG and JH generally communicated through messenger because it was difficult for him to get a cell signal at his work site. Does that ring a bell for anyone else? If that is correct, then this phone call that took place on the 17th means JH was somewhere other than his workplace , where he could get a signal.

I seem to remember one of the VIs commenting towards the beginning of this case that EG and JH generally communicated through messenger because it was difficult for him to get a cell signal at his work site. Does that ring a bell for anyone else? If that is correct, then this phone call that took place on the 17th means JH was somewhere other than his workplace , where he could get a signal.

:wagon:

Welcome to Websleuths Foofooche!

Now that you mention that I recall the same thing about JH only being able to receive communication through messenger.

Valentine's day.

I have had a wee theory that I haven't expressed here before, and I am sure I'm not the only one.

EG doesn't strike me as one to be faithful, and I feel as if it would actually be a boon to her that JH was often away from work. She could play however she liked when he was away, with no one the wiser. I have often wondered if sweet Lucas caught her in the act. And now, hearing that she lied to JH about Lucas's whereabouts on Valentines Day, I wonder even more.

What better way to make sure that his Daddy didn't call to talk to him, and interrupt her dalliance? He's going with his mom. (there are issues with this, like why wouldn't JH call to talk to HER on Valentines, I know!)

But Lucas saw something, and he was old enough to talk....

I don't know. But that VD lie isn't right.

I really think the he was with his mom on VD was a seed being planted as to what happened to Lucas.
I think it was told to him so he would think she was in town and had a hand in his "abduction."

IMO neither one of these parents were loyal to each other. She had two kids to take care of and pawn on someone else, while he was out of town for 20 days, so she could play. Who was he responsible for while he was out of town, he wasn't working 24/7 for 20 days.
I don't think that either of them really liked each other, she needed someone to support her and he needed someone to "take care of his kids."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IamNobody