Found Deceased Ks - Lucas Hernandez, 5, Wichita, 17 Feb 2018 #31

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
The police were called and they refused to look at him. Jonathan caught wind that he was covered in bruises and Emily was being blamed so he sent Emily to pick him up before he could be taken to the ER.

I will personally live the rest of my life regretting not doing more. And I deserve to live with this guilt. Because I failed him. He needed me and I failed him. So, yes, "hindsight" I guess.

Oh, Bethany! You do not deserve to live with guilt. You are one of his heroes! You are one who raised the alarm. Outside of committing felonies, which would do no one any good, what could you possibly do? I hope you are able to find your way past the guilt, this guilt is NOT yours to bear, sweet lady.

The people who deserve to live with guilt for this are named by you in your first paragraph. One chose not to. The other... I honestly cannot believe what you just told us about his actions on that day. I'm not suggesting you are lying... I just freaking can't wrap my head around it. That action... that is the guilty action of that day. My god.

Thank you... I think we're going to have to do that.

I do want to say that I'm definitely not the glue. That would be my mother in law. She's amazing.

We had it planned out that when Lucas was found she would come get my husband and me and we would be the ones to tell Jamie (that didn't happen.. Jamie found out through the media). When she called to tell me he had been found, she was the one who had to tell me "just breathe... just breathe". She's our rock.

I think I might scream. How is this possible.

Yeah I’m trying to tread lightly.
I understand how you feel that way. Still they can also only do so much, because they are bound by the law,not above it. They are not the judge,or DCF, who have the ultimate power. Still if they had called DCF right then,(not that it would have done any good) We already know that,and maybe that is why they didn't take further action.
I'm sure they feel just as powerless,and guilty,heartbroken
I hope Things really change now not just talk,and paper, so no more children,or people who love,and care for them have to go through this.

Oh, Bethany! You do not deserve to live with guilt. You are one of his heroes! You are one who raised the alarm. Outside of committing felonies, which would do no one any good, what could you possibly do? I hope you are able to find your way past the guilt, this guilt is NOT yours to bear, sweet lady.

The people who deserve to live with guilt for this are named by you in your first paragraph. One chose not to. The other... I honestly cannot believe what you just told us about his actions on that day. I'm not suggesting you are lying... I just freaking can't wrap my head around it. That action... that is the guilty action of that day. My god.

agree. as i've said, JH has been a wild card for me - i definitely think he was a neglectful but different theories of how neglectful, if he was directly involved with the abuse and/or knew he was covering it up have swirled through my mind.

but this scenario...this really paints him negatively, imo. this is JO's grandfathers funeral/memorial service. did JH not stop to think that this is the day of someone's funeral so if JO & family are addressing bruises that perhaps this isnt people overreacting or petty hatred against EG??

i pictured a lot of the confrontations of abuse being when JH would pick LH up or receive phone calls after EG dropped/pick him up from ppl like JO, his mom etc and he was able to distance himself but just hanging up the phone/being like "he's fine, youre overreacting". but the day of someone's funeral... idc if people were close to the deceased or not, its a memorial for the deceased. not to take attention of Lucas but im pretty sure most people dont typically switch their focus from the deceased to another person unless its an emergency or very serious (as this was). if there were ever a moment for JH to clue in to the severity (and im sure there were multiple) imo, this was a big one.

*ik we had heard some of this earlier regarding the funeral & bruises but hearing it directly from FLA/picturing the entire narrative of EG coming early to get him hit me differently today.

The police were called and they refused to look at him. Jonathan caught wind that he was covered in bruises and Emily was being blamed so he sent Emily to pick him up before he could be taken to the ER.

I will personally live the rest of my life regretting not doing more. And I deserve to live with this guilt. Because I failed him. He needed me and I failed him. So, yes, "hindsight" I guess.
This isn't directed at you, FLA, unless you can confirm the answers to a couple questions?

I'm trying to skate on the edge within TOS, it's semi OT, and I'm not trying to insinuate any blame onto the family -- I wanted to make sure I stated that in case my words don't come across the way I mean them.

Am I correct in remembering that the funeral was in Butler county? And that the El Dorado police or Butler County sheriff's office were the ones called?

I ask because I believe this is the county in which EG had her child custody case with her ex, and he had both alluded to her violence as well as pointed to a specific incident in which EG struck him while he was holding one of the children.

The fact that none of them would look at Lucas upsets me A LOT. Obviously for a one day family event in which people are concerned about sending him home is not going to warrant a call to DCF but to LE or a visit to the ER. This right here is an example of a family trying and the system failing -- if LE could have visited with Lucas and checked a database (even one pertaining to that county only) that showed EG didn't have custody of her own boys and that their father was concerned about violent tendencies, they would have had cause to intervene more quickly and thoroughly.

I still don't understand why or how they can simply refuse to look at a child. If I were to commit any crime in any jurisdiction and walk into another jurisdiction to turn myself in, the place where I was would hold me and arrange for me to be transported -- they wouldn't just turn me away. Why doesn't this apply to reporting crimes? Why can they not keep the person safe while working with the proper jurisdiction?

How is a family to know what to do when they are doing all they can and ^^THIS^^ happens? Ridiculous!

This reminds me of little Emma Krueger -- LE reports were made and there was an address mix-up; LE should have done everything they could to reach property owner/management and get the correct apartment. Instead they showed up and didn't have the right apartment, the manager wasn't in the office at the time, so they just left -- that's it. There was a lot of backtracking and lengthy explanation, but they knew they gave up--on a child. Also, LE's hands were tied on Evan Brewer even going to the house day after day--they weren't giving up but the law didn't allow them to enter.

Do we need to write clear legislation assigning rights to children? And the elderly, disabled? Do we have to spell out a way to allow LE to ensure their rights are being protected? I'm asking here for some of our forum members who are more familiar with the LE/DCF process and the law-- TIA.

Survivor’s guilt is a wretched emotion. It wakes you up in the middle of the night. It beats you down. It offers nothing of value.

@FindLucasAllen you did everything you could. Chant it to yourself if you have to. Because of you, Jamie, and the rest of your family, Lucas knew what it meant to be loved with a whole heart. Remind yourself that you did that for him. His life would have been much worse without you and yours in it.

I understand how you feel that way. Still they can also only do so much, because they are bound by the law,not above it. They are not the judge,or DCF, who have the ultimate power. Still if they had called DCF right then,(not that it would have done any good) We already know that,and maybe that is why they didn't take further action.
I'm sure they feel just as powerless,and guilty,heartbroken
I hope Things really change now not just talk,and paper, so no more children,or people who love,and care for them have to go through this.

LE isn't powerless in this type of situation though. Why couldn't LE have called DCF right then and there for emergency protective custody? If Lucas was covered in bruises, about to be sent off with a woman who has previous and/or current allegations/issues with her own children, how would that not warrant an emergency response?

A child may be placed in protective custody without a court order and without the consent of the parent or other person legally responsible regardless of whether the parent or other person legally responsible for the child’s care is absent only if:

(1)the child is in such circumstance or condition that continuing at home or in the care and custody of the parent or other person legally responsible for the child’s care presents an imminent danger to the child’s life or health

; and

(2) there is not enough time to file a case in Family Court.

Certain persons are allowed to take children into protective custody. These include:
(1) peace officers, police officers, law enforcement officials, designated employees of city or county departments of social services, and physicians.

http://assembly.state.ny.us/comm/Children/20140128/index.pdf

The above snippet is part of NY's policies. Does KS not have similar protocols? Or did the responding LE officers just not care enough to do something?

Several posts back we were discussing the very honorable Tim Miller. Here’s a link (I hope) to a story running today in the Daily Mail. I hope it brings him some personal
Peace.

Texas man believes he has finally solved his daughter's 1984 murder | Daily Mail Online

He is such a graciously good unselfish person. And he is more than willing to train volunteers to search. I wish there were a thousand of his kind willing to help so many that truly need his talent.

As far as EG living was the hard part, dying was easy. The destruction she left behind for your family (FLA) and hers is beyond belief.

I'm not giving EG a pass but why didn't her family take her in when she was homeless? I went thru hard times in my life and my family was always there for me.

As far as EG living was the hard part, dying was easy. The destruction she left behind for your family (FLA) and hers is beyond belief.

I'm not giving EG a pass but why didn't her family take her in when she was homeless? I went thru hard times in my life and my family was always there for me.

In my own experience the supporting family sometimes makes it worse, because you feel like you can do bad things and they will still take you in. They enable you, without wanting to. I hope that makes sense?:confused:
Sometimes you have to fall hard to get on the right track again.

Cranky. Love the name.
We don’t know much about EG family and history outside of police reports.

Maybe this wasn’t the first time she was homeless. We can assume:

1. She had a violent history (police reports)

2. She was probably a hardened drug abuser
(Court report used in CINC case) her ex stated she used heroin meth and pot.

3. She reportedly had been diagnosed as being bipolar.(CINC case)

4. She had been repeatedly been accused of bad abusive behavior and an uncontrolled temper.
(CINC case)

5. She began to have children at the age 17 or 19. ( I’m adding this because there are specific traits for step mothers/significant other females who kill) ref link below cnn article

6. She did not work and is in the lower end of the social economic group ofsome studies done.
See cnn link below

7. She had little regard for the law and went to great lengths to circumvent rules that applied to her. (Driving on a restricted or limited license) ref CINC court documents

8. In spite of specific tolerance of the judge in her custody matter forgiving her past, she ignored the judge when specifically told if she chose to continue to use drugs, the court would view it as a conscientious decision not to parent. Ref court transcripts on record

9. She failed to make any effort whatsoever to attend and complete court ordered parenting classes. (Ref court docs CINC case and minor daughter loss of custody hearing after Lucas disappearance)

She did not believe the rules applied to her.
And maybe, just maybe her family had supported her throughout her life many times in the past. And it could very well be they believed or were advised to let her bottom out and then help. It may have cost them financially and emotionally to constantly bail her out of trouble and they had enough.

Portion of cnn article;

Forensic psychiatrist Phillip J. Resnick, pioneer in the study of filicide research, identified five major reasons:
  • Altruism: The parent kills the child because he or she may perceive it to be in the child's best interest. It may be reality-based (e.g., the child suffers from a terminal illness) or precede the suicide of the parent, as the parent feels it would be unfair to leave the child behind to face the cruel world
  • Acute psychosis: The parent kills the child based on ideas that are inconsistent with reality. For example, the parent believes the child has been possessed by the devil
  • Unwanted child: The parent kills the child that he or she regards as a hindrance.
  • Accidental: The child's death is an unintentional outcome of parental physical abuse.
  • Spousal revenge: The parent kills the child in an effort to exact revenge on the other parent.
Link:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.cn...de-parents-killing-kids-stats-trnd/index.html

Apologize for post length.

Last edited:
Her sister took her in for a while but EG burned that bridge. EG was using (if not consistently, at least off & on), she was in trouble with the law for auto theft and vandalism at minimum.
As a general statement, I think families often try, but there is only so much one can take before losing their sanity or sacrificing their health and finances. I don't think EG wanted anyone to cramp her style in any way, shape, or form -- IMO.
I don't doubt what you are saying is accurate, but it's the first time I have heard it. Where was this stated that her sister took her in, or that drug use and crime were the cause of her homelessness?

They may have been hoping a loss of resources would help her find her way out of some darkness. It seems like it may have, as she met JH, and Lucas seemed to imply she was nice at first, if he later said "she doesn't like me anymore." I think maybe for awhile EG was on a good path, but somehow she let herself self destruct again, this time with the worst effect of all.

They may have been hoping a loss of resources would help her find her way out of some darkness. It seems like it may have, as she met JH, and Lucas seemed to imply she was nice at first, if he later said "she doesn't like me anymore." I think maybe for awhile EG was on a good path, but somehow she let herself self destruct again, this time with the worst effect of all.

Yes, she found "safety " , and the whole cycle started again.

Her sister took her in for a while but EG burned that bridge. EG was using (if not consistently, at least off & on), she was in trouble with the law for auto theft and vandalism at minimum.
As a general statement, I think families often try, but there is only so much one can take before losing their sanity or sacrificing their health and finances. I don't think EG wanted anyone to cramp her style in any way, shape, or form -- IMO.
Sorry to quote my own post but it occurred to me after the fact I should find the link--underline & bolding by me. Sounds like she brought a whirlwind of chaos with her. If she assaulted the ex while he was holding her children, I imagine other family with children in the home might be afraid for them. I feel bad for EG's family -- I'm sure none of what has happened lately has come as too much of a surprise. They've probably felt like witnesses to an inevitable train wreck for several years and just wondered if they would end up as bystanders or victims. JO stated one of the DCF reports came from EG family member.

"But the document said Glass still led a troubled life: that she had been accused of stealing her sister’s vehicle, accused of smashing through a window to get into a home where she wasn’t welcome and that “the police are involved.”

Before that, on June 25, 2014, the father of the boys, then living in Butler County, requested sole custody because of what he called Glass’ “continuous instability.”

In his affidavit, the father said Glass “has exhibited some past erratic and unpredictable behavior where she has physically assaulted me while I held the children … She has made decisions that concern me for the care of the children at this time and until things stabilize for her.”

He said that around that time she had dated two men in relationships that involved “physical altercations,” causing him to fear for her and his sons."

Read more here: Court records reveal anger issues, troubled past of jailed stepmom of missing boy

When Lucas returned from EG and JH for a funeral, covered in bruises, how many people at that funeral called DCS THAT DAY and reported it? Why wasn't he taken to the ER to document it? So much I guess is hindsight now, but so many missed opportunities to save him. Heartbreaking.
Lucas' father saw the bruises as well.......I haven't changed my thoughts that JH put some of those bruises on Lucas and that is why he was so adamant about not discussing them or willing to discuss EG abusing Lucas. IMO they both abused him. JMO

Last edited:

BBM: This is just one of the reasons I don't give JH a pass at all, none, nada, zilch. At this time we don't have a cause of death for Lucas. If he died from an internal injury, either one of them could be responsible for his death. JMO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jessicawilliams0