Found Deceased KS - Marilane Carter, 36, Overland Park, enroute to Birmingham, 1 Aug, call from Memphis, 2 Aug 2020

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I just went back to the beginning and reread the thread and looked at the videos and it struck me that this young woman was under incredible stress.
She is a daughter, mother and wife and with each of these roles she has enormous outside standards to meet. I also think she may not have had anyone she could trust, who she felt could understand, to talk to because the stressors came from the very people and circumstances that set the standards.
I truly don't believe there was abuse going on, I believe this is a person who felt she could not go on one more day feeling she could not meet the behaviors expected of her on all fronts.
I wonder if she made contact somehow with a group that would help her disappear. MOO MOO MOO

She is also a sister, who happens to be going through some life changing events that she can not be close to.

What a bizarre case! There are so many strange little details that, when put together make things more confusing.

I guess the first thing that pops out with just the initial information is if she left her house at 8pm on 8/1 and only had a 12-hour drive to her destination why didn't her husband question her the evening of 8/2 when she still had not arrived. Based on reported sightings, it does seem she was heading towards Birmingham, but with only a 3 hour stop at the motel, why hadn't she gotten there yet, and why was she then reported missing on the 5th?

It does seem like it's possible she was leaving voluntarily. The worrisome fact is she has not used her credit cards and does not appear to have cash if she had to get help paying for gas from a stranger. All so strange.

The not sleeping is another factor. As far as we know from 8/1-8/2, the most sleep MC could have gotten was 3 hours, and that is assuming she slept at the motel. We also don't know how much sleep she had gotten previous to that, and after that, so being confused, disoriented from sleep deprivation is a big risk factor and can even lead to psychosis.

I am very worried for Marilane.

From her home to the motel in Great Plains MO is only 3.5 hours but it took her 7 hours to get there. She could have slept in the SUV somewhere along the way and again after she left motel.

From her home to the motel in Great Plains MO is only 3.5 hours but it took her 7 hours to get there. She could have slept in the SUV somewhere along the way and again after she left motel.

True, but then if she was sleeping in the car, why bother to get a hotel room for only 3 hours when she just as easily could have napped in the car? I suppose she could have wanted a shower. I think there is something to the sleeping difficulties since it was mentioned several times by family. I bet there is so much more to this story though.

Has anyone considered the angle of her joining the "other church" for help. Based on inferences it seems MC was raised in the church, grew up in the church and is now again in the church. If she was always surrounded by "church" maybe she just went to a different church to get help because that's what people do, she knew she couldn't go to her own so she picked Catholicism for whatever reason.
I don't know why but this one feels like there may be a chance she just needed out and this was her way of doing it, I can't say I blame her she has been through it.

I believe that’s totally plausible. There is so much pressure on church staff - much less a pastors wife. I’d imagine she was like living under a magnifying glass. Perhaps “other church” was how she felt more comfortable to address whatever was ailing her.

I wish something would break, someone would do a press conference, organize a search party etc. I don’t know Marilane personally yet something about her situation has touched my heart. I sympathize with the pressure She most likely lived under for certain. Its heartbreaking. I can’t imagine how hard this is for her loved ones.

He was asked something along the lines of why didn’t someone go with her, he gave the same answer. Something along the lines of she’s a grown woman then eventually we didn’t know it would deteriorate this fast.

Conversations during the drive indicate she was on a dirt road at some point.

Conversations with her mom made her mom think she was outside the vehicle.

That is deeply concerning :(

I want to bring up the DPOA.

Surely with that in hand for two days. If she were in a MH Facility, they would know by now?

I'm going to be careful here because IANAL, I work in finance as I stated before, so here is what I know.

1. DPOA's are not a one size fits all
2. Medical DPOA's are pretty much useless unless they have HIPAA language in them
3. I'm three people's DPOA's, they have language within their Med. DPOAs that prohibit me from doing certain things as well as give me authority to make certain decisions.

On the notary side:
1. When I notarize POA's, I notarize the person giving the powers signature, not the person receiving the power, that signature does not have to be notarized.

According to Google Maps, Leawood, Kansas to West Plains, Missouri is a trip of at least 4 hours, 10 minutes. Much of the trip on 2 lane roads, depending on which route she selected.

We're told she left without a suitcase, but had one in West Plains:
stashed the suitcase in the car in preparation for leaving?
bought suitcase in Kansas City very shortly after leaving the home?
bought suitcase at retailer open 24 hours?

do we think LE asked Wal-Mart to check for her, now I know that there are many locations along any route between the 2 towns but did they look at video images?

She might need gas, would need to use the bathroom.

Marilane, call your sister, please.

JMHO YMMV LRR

UPDATE 6:30PM CST August 12, 2020

Thanks to Arkansas State Police + Overland Park Police Department, we now have video confirmation showing Marilane at the Shell Station at approx. 4:58PM CST (camera not adjust for current time). It appears Marilane fueled up and then went inside with her cup to get some ice water. She is then seen re-entering her 2011 GMC Acadia Kansas Tag 194 LFY and later leaving the gas station. We understand that the West Memphis Police Department is actively working on this case.

We also appreciate Bass Pro Shops at the Pyramid assisting our volunteer boaters in adjusting and mounting sonar technology to work on the river search. The launch of the boat was postponed a few hours due to necessary sonar mounting and adjustments, and we hope to launch shortly or at latest first thing tomorrow.

A well-respected search and rescue team is slated to arrive late Friday with high-powered sonar and search team members as well.

We have heard from the Tennessee Bureau of Investigation today that municipal and state law enforcement agencies near her last ping are also actively working towards finding Marilane. Please continue to share this story with any and all law enforcement agencies to get their attention and resources focused on helping to find her.

The family is very thankful for the volunteers who have and are actively posting her flyers across the region.

Look for another update later this evening with more info.

Share. Pray. Look. Hope. #FindMarilane ❤️www.FindMarilane.com
Find Marilane - UPDATE 6:30PM CST August 12, 2020 Thanks... | Facebook

edit-

The post tagged this shell station. https://www.facebook.com/Shell-535957830230215/

3900 Petro Rd
West Memphis, AR 72301
United States

Thanks to Arkansas State Police + Overland Park Police Department, we now have video confirmation showing Marilane at the Shell Station at approx. 4:58PM CST (camera not adjust for current time). It appears Marilane fueled up and then went inside with her cup to get some ice water. She is then seen re-entering her 2011 GMC Acadia Kansas Tag 194 LFY and later leaving the gas station. We understand that the West Memphis Police Department is actively working on this case.

We also appreciate Bass Pro Shops at the Pyramid assisting our volunteer boaters in adjusting and mounting sonar technology to work on the river search. The launch of the boat was postponed a few hours due to necessary sonar mounting and adjustments, and we hope to launch shortly or at latest first thing tomorrow.

A well-respected search and rescue team is slated to arrive late Friday with high-powered sonar and search team members as well.

We have heard from the Tennessee Bureau of Investigation today that municipal and state law enforcement agencies near her last ping are also actively working towards finding Marilane. Please continue to share this story with any and all law enforcement agencies to get their attention and resources focused on helping to find her.

The family is very thankful for the volunteers who have and are actively posting her flyers across the region.

edit-

The post tagged this shell station. Shell

3900 Petro Rd
West Memphis, AR 72301
United States
All interesting developments. Especially if she was fueling up in west Memphis earlier than 5pm and then just heading over the I-55 bridge ~8pm. I wonder what she was doing in West Memphis for those 3 hours. It’s possible to access the agricultural areas below I-55 & I-40 bridges along side the river. There are gravel roads down there. It sounds as if based on last conversations that’s where the family is focusing. I’m glad to hear bass pro is involved as they have boats and are located directly on the river coming across the i-40 bridge. It’s all sounding more ominous than positive. IMO.

Really glad to hear any update. Anxious to hear the next.

The FB page titled "Find Marilane" is approved as it appears to have been started by a family member of Marilane's.

The FB page titled "FIND MARILANE CARTER" is not an approved page as there are no known family members as Admins and it is a closed group. If you join that group, do NOT bring any information from there to Websleuths.

edit-

3900 Petro Rd
West Memphis, AR 72301
United States
I’m assuming since they just discovered stop at Shell In West Memphis she didn’t use her credit card.

I’m assuming since they just discovered stop at Shell In West Memphis she didn’t use her credit card.
No, they have known about this stop. We just didn't have details or time or video. The original article was shared here. I brought it up yesterday as well.
I started reading and trying to organize a timeline on paper and inconsistencies in my mind. I noticed this article and am further confused.

This Multi-state search for missing Overland Park mom continues as family fears for her safety | FOX 4 Kansas City WDAF-TV | News, Weather, Sports article states:

Since then, she was seen at a gas station in West Memphis, Arkansas, on Sunday and on Monday at another gas station in Southhaven, Mississippi. Officer John Lacy with the Overland Park Police Department said they’re waiting for more information.

--------
So, I am wondering what time the gas station was, if the video is available, what her demeanor was then, how she paid, and what she purchased. Did someone follow her from here? It wouldn't really make sense to go get gas if you were planning to commit suicide I wouldn't think.

I know the Southaven, Mississippi sighting doesn't have video per the family and therefore is "unconfirmed".

Would you guys listen to that video with sound on? Did the clerk say?

“I think that’s hilarious, she jumped the curb”.

Were they talking about Marilane?

edit-

3900 Petro Rd
West Memphis, AR 72301
United States

Has anyone considered the angle of her joining the "other church" for help. Based on inferences it seems MC was raised in the church, grew up in the church and is now again in the church. If she was always surrounded by "church" maybe she just went to a different church to get help because that's what people do, she knew she couldn't go to her own so she picked Catholicism for whatever reason.
I don't know why but this one feels like there may be a chance she just needed out and this was her way of doing it, I can't say I blame her she has been through it.

We must keep in mind that the Catholic Church wouldn't be a likely choice for someone who grew up in the Baptist Church and was schooled at Samford. That would be akin to heresy in most Southern Baptist churches..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tb3