Found Deceased KS - Marilane Carter, 36, Overland Park, enroute to Birmingham, 1 Aug, call from Memphis, 2 Aug 2020

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
As a mental health professional, I think it’s unlikely - but not impossible - that she is in a psychiatric hospital. Typically, hospitals will try to contact a patient’s identified next-of-kin (if not a husband, then a mother, sister, etc.) as this is a key aspect of discharge planning (and planning for discharge starts right away). Also, there’s the matter of payment...I’m assuming her health insurance company has been contacted?

Yes, i completely agree. I work in the mental health field as well. Inpatient psychiatric hospitalization most often includes a family meeting prior to discharge and definitely attempts to get collateral information from family.

Find Marilane

UPDATE 11PM CST August 12, 2020

Hundreds of flyers were posted around the region today, with a large volume of them in the Memphis / West Memphis area. Thank you for everyone who made this happen. Additionally, trucking companies nationwide have informed us they are distributing flyers to their drivers to BOLO for Marilane nationwide.

Anyone able to send flyers to law enforcement nationwide via email, fax, Facebook, in-person, or other means is also encouraged to do so. Please continue to reach out to your local law enforcement if you have any tips or info about where Marilane might be (per Overland Park Police Department).

We are hopeful that law enforcement will be conducting a press conference soon to share whatever possible with the family and the general public.

Due to law enforcement search and rescue teams indicating they are currently unable to perform a search of the MS River near Marilane's last cell phone ping, we are relying on volunteer boaters to assist with sonar.

Today's launch was pushed until early morning tomorrow due to necessary sonar configurations and software mapping requirements to capture the data. A very special thank you to Bass Pro Shops at the Pyramid for assisting the volunteers with this.

Pray. Share. Hope. Look. #FindMarilane ❤️

117655869_129800405189694_5066428473799713025_n.jpg

I am becoming increasingly disturbed by the family friends’ behavior on the main Facebook page. They are spending hours being combative, attempting to quash all questions. It’s odd.

I’m not an expert in missing persons cases, but I have helped in a search for someone who was missing for weeks. It’s worth noting that, when he was found, he was found in “plain sight” and in an area that had been searched by law enforcement. He hadn’t been moved; it was just an oversight. My point is that places have to be searched MULTIPLE times.

Here’s the type of organization that is needed:
  • Set up a FAQ spot on the Facebook page. Update it daily. Refer people who ask repetitive questions (like about OnStar or the gas station sighting in Mississippi) to the FAQ page. Include questions that have no answer, and those that can’t be answered for sensitive reasons. Just say why they can’t be answered.
  • Assign two people to be ‘database managers.’ These people organize the volunteer search process. One manager grids out locations to physically search. They create a spreadsheet and map of places to search that are attainable by volunteers looking to help for one hour, four hours, an entire day, etc. They update their database daily and regroup based on incoming information. They have locations being re-checked every 3 days. The other manager facilitates volunteers who are not in the area. They identify key places to contact (Catholic churches, businesses with surveillance cameras along her route, etc.) and ask for volunteers to call the locations. They also track where fliers are being distributed.
  • Assign ‘site managers’ to each physical location to be searched. These site managers recruit volunteers and organize meet-up times.
Why isn’t something like this being done?! It seems that so many of Marilane’s family and friends are closely involved with church. They’ve got to be inherently organized people with an army of folks wanting to help. I just don’t understand.

*My opinion in this paragraph.* The only reason for the complete lack of effort/organization that I can think of is that law enforcement has told them that it looks like she vanished voluntarily. That would explain why the police aren’t forthcoming with info, why the FBI isn’t seemingly involved, and why the family isn’t doing much. It would also explain the strange conflicting information coming from the family. Perhaps this ‘Find Marilane’ charade is only being done to make it look like they are putting in an effort to the members of the church, so that Marilane can break away from the family. I know this is a very jaded viewpoint, but it’s the most plausible explanation in my head at this point.

Find Marilane

UPDATE 10:15AM CST August 13, 2020

Sonar boat and volunteers deployed at 6:30AM today on the MS river with the water search underway to hopefully rule out any possibility that Marilane and/or her vehicle are there.

Nancy Grace was very kind to have us join her show that will air later today on Fox Nation and SiriusXM 111 from 11a - 1p to help spread the word about Marilane.

Volunteers are still needed to post flyers around the region. You can pick-up flyers for free at the FedEx Office Print & Ship Center anytime weekdays 8a-8p. If you need the PDF to print yourself, just message our page and we can send those to you.

Law enforcement is following up on all tips and leads. Contact your local law enforcement agency with info. We were encouraged to learn that a task force with forensic cellular analysis expertise has now offered their support to Overland Park Police Department in determining more about the final calls / pings / location, etc.

Pray. Share. Hope. Look. #FindMarilane ❤️

117342463_130372371799164_8636020407973854969_o.jpg 117724832_130372368465831_2748016429974633131_o.jpg

I have a feeling that she did, indeed, leave to seek treatment and/or just escape for a while because she felt like she was under immense pressure/expectations. I also think she did not have a concrete plan in place to ensure her departure would be successful. Now I'm worried that if she is still alive, the added pressure of this national story may cause her to self harm. I'm not laying blame on anyone! Just stating a concern of mine. MOO

I have a feeling that she did, indeed, leave to seek treatment and/or just escape for a while because she felt like she was under immense pressure/expectations. I also think she did not have a concrete plan in place to ensure her departure would be successful. Now I'm worried that if she is still alive, the added pressure of this national story may cause her to self harm. I'm not laying blame on anyone! Just stating a concern of mine. MOO

RBBM

I feel the same way. The problem is that you are damned if don't go all out to find someone who is missing and then on the other hand, your damned if you do, especially when it's an adult, and appearances suggest they left of their own volition.

Sitting back right now and watching this unfold. I have a gut feeling that she is OK, but I do believe that mentally something is going on.

MOO

I wonder if a stress related amnesia might be considered. I had a friend who disappeared for four days after receiving a cancer diagnosis. She doesn't remember leaving, where she went or where she stayed. She was found in her car in a parking lot at the mall by her son. She recognized him and that started the recovery of her memory.

I wonder if a stress related amnesia might be considered. I had a friend who disappeared for four days after receiving a cancer diagnosis. She doesn't remember leaving, where she went or where she stayed. She was found in her car in a parking lot at the mall by her son. She recognized him and that started the recovery of her memory.

This is a great theory. It's rare but it happens, for sure.

Wow... had she been in the car the whole time?

I am confident she became catholic because:
1. Leawood, KS is a small community and the odds of two people with that same name are rather rare.
2. A few people have checked and confirmed that there is only one Marilane Carter in the United States, she is 36 and living in Leawood, KS.
3. Someone else confirmed that she started following a Catholic priest on YouTube 4 months ago.
4. The job interview video for a catholic school (even though not all schools require their teachers to be catholic)
5. The church's bulletin showed her first communion on June 21st

There is some confusion around whether it was planned or not. We learned that she wanted to be there for her sister, yet the husband and BIL have said she left abruptly and with only a backpack (even though we saw her later with a suitcase - buying clothes for a long term convent stay?). Also, her leaving at 8:15 PM on a Saturday night ensured her husband couldn't join her, since he was preaching the next morning. Seems to me like she was planning something - just not sure anyone else knew of her true plans.
Sometimes people develop unhealthy one sided relationships, symptomatic of some mental health issues. Just speculating but could she have tried to locate this particular priest without him knowing about her existence?

Last edited:
Wow... had she been in the car the whole time?
It could never be determined exactly where she had been. She was in the same clothes but she had had food and drink. Couldn't be sure how far she had traveled because starting millage was not known.
She never has remembered where she went but her orientation to family and her life began again as the stress lessened. The details of those four days will always remain a mystery, I guess.

UPDATE 6:30PM CST August 12, 2020

Thanks to Arkansas State Police + Overland Park Police Department, we now have video confirmation showing Marilane at the Shell Station at approx. 4:58PM CST (camera not adjust for current time). It appears Marilane fueled up and then went inside with her cup to get some ice water. She is then seen re-entering her 2011 GMC Acadia Kansas Tag 194 LFY and later leaving the gas station. We understand that the West Memphis Police Department is actively working on this case.

We also appreciate Bass Pro Shops at the Pyramid assisting our volunteer boaters in adjusting and mounting sonar technology to work on the river search. The launch of the boat was postponed a few hours due to necessary sonar mounting and adjustments, and we hope to launch shortly or at latest first thing tomorrow.

A well-respected search and rescue team is slated to arrive late Friday with high-powered sonar and search team members as well.

We have heard from the Tennessee Bureau of Investigation today that municipal and state law enforcement agencies near her last ping are also actively working towards finding Marilane. Please continue to share this story with any and all law enforcement agencies to get their attention and resources focused on helping to find her.

The family is very thankful for the volunteers who have and are actively posting her flyers across the region.

Look for another update later this evening with more info.

Share. Pray. Look. Hope. #FindMarilane ❤️www.FindMarilane.com
Find Marilane - UPDATE 6:30PM CST August 12, 2020 Thanks... | Facebook

edit-

The post tagged this shell station. Shell

3900 Petro Rd
West Memphis, AR 72301
United States

I'd REALLY like to know if she paid with cash or credit card?? I have a very good hunch she paid with cash, because this wasn't confirmed until recently, and I really think the reason she took so long to get from one point to another is she was driving in such a way to not be tracked. MOO she is trying to get away without being found or she is having a psychiatric episode (kind of reminiscent of Taleka Patrick, RIP you beautiful wonderful soul)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Back