KY - Breonna Taylor, 26, unarmed, fatally shot multiple times by police, Louisville, 13 Mar 2020

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Do you have the link for what is old information vs fresh and the limitations that would apply to the warrant? I'm having trouble finding it.
I doubt that relevant information that is two months old would make it invalid let alone illegal to put in a search warrant affidavit. JMO

I don't really know how the postal inspector would know if they were "suspicious". He admitted himself he has packages delivered there so it is the contents that are in question rather than whether they were suspicious to the postal inspector. Do they have dogs sniffing all the mail for drugs for example. I would find that unlikely, but LE may have intercepted some packages- I don't know if or how we would know that. Or LE may have tracked or traced some packages themselves.
I agree. What a postal inspector would deem "suspicious" may not be the same as a trained police officer. In the search warrant the officer explains how drug traffickers sometimes use different locations to receive illegal packages to avoid detection by LE. JMO

https://reason.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/06/Breonna-Taylor-search-warrants.pdf

Breonna Taylor case: What we know about the special prosecutors

This is the 3rd or 4th posting of this link. I expected some comments, but there weren't any. I believe I recognized the two special prosecutors standing behind the AG at the presser. I would like to know if they were given the authority to take the case wherever the evidence led them. Bottom line is the AG is the boss and we'll see if at some point he throws them to the wolves. jmo
I had not seen this post to reply, I have faith that those special prosecuted did their job with this case, and turned over their finding to the KY AG it will be interesting to see what their investigation turned up.

I want to make a point on how I feel about the search warrant. If it's found at a later date that the warrant was illegal then the officer who wrote it should be punished accordingly.

Does that mean the officers who fired their weapons at BT's apartment should be charged for her death? No. They didn't write the warrant so that's doesn't change anything. JMO

Justia law (and Cornell) says about federal law:

Recent federal laws providing for the issuance of warrants authorizing in certain circumstances “no-knock” entries to execute warrants will no doubt present the Court with opportunities to explore the configurations of the rule of announcement.186 A statute regulating the expiration of a warrant and issuance of another “should be liberally construed in favor of the individual.”187 Similarly, just as the existence of probable cause must be established by fresh facts, so the execution of the warrant should be done in timely fashion so as to ensure so far as possible the continued existence of probable cause.188

Execution of Warrants

Searches and Seizures Pursuant to Warrant

The question of fresh facts appears to be in favor of the individual rather than LE. Ms. Taylor's address did not receive multiple packages but one more than a month prior to the serving of the warrant. In that time, an occupant could move and others are in the apartment. She was not the subject of the warrant but a soft target.

I want to make a point on how I feel about the search warrant. If it's found at a later date that the warrant was illegal then the officer who wrote it should be punished accordingly.

Does that mean the officers who fired their weapons at BT's apartment should be charged for her death? No. They didn't write the warrant so that's doesn't change anything. JMO

And, if one of the officers at the scene who fired a weapon was also part of the filing of that illegal search warrant, how much more culpability do they have then?

And, if one of the officers at the scene who fired a weapon was also part of the filing of that illegal search warrant, how much more culpability do they have then?
Maybe. Is there any evidence that any of the officers who did the shooting falsified anything in the creation of the search warrant?

I'm not going to make up possible scenarios based on zero evidence. JMO

well we should have evidence released shortly so there will be nonreason for speculation.
I think that speculation can be part of the discussion as long as it's based on something we know.

We can speculate that the search warrant may have problems because one Postal Inspector told the press that he didn't know anything about Metro police asking for help. JMO

A U.S. postal inspector in Louisville said Metro police did not use his office to verify that a drug suspect was receiving packages at Breonna Taylor's apartment, one of the factors listed in officers' request for a "no-knock" warrant for her home.

Louisville postal inspector: No ‘packages of interest’ at slain EMT Breonna Taylor’s home

Last edited:
Maybe. Is there any evidence that any of the officers who did the shooting falsified anything in the creation of the search warrant?

I'm not seeing falsified information in the warrant anyway. Jmo

I'm not seeing falsified information in the warrant anyway. Jmo
I haven't seen any proof of that yet. If there was proof I would have thought that it would have been made known by now. JMO

• It was Mattingly, the officer who was shot at Taylor's apartment, who asked the postal service whether Glover was receiving packages at Taylor's apartment. Jaynes wrote in a March 12 sworn affidavit for a search warrant that he had verified that Glover was receiving packages at Taylor's home through a postal inspector (a Louisville postal inspector later told WDRB news that wasn't true).
Breonna Taylor case: Report details why police wanted to search home

Tony Gooden, supervisor of inspection services for the U.S. Postal Service’s Louisville Domicile, said postal inspectors undergo rigorous training that parallels other law enforcement agencies.

“Typically, we would want the same qualities as any federal agency would want from an officer,” Gooden said.

Postal inspectors can play key role in drug cases

• It was Mattingly, the officer who was shot at Taylor's apartment, who asked the postal service whether Glover was receiving packages at Taylor's apartment. Jaynes wrote in a March 12 sworn affidavit for a search warrant that he had verified that Glover was receiving packages at Taylor's home through a postal inspector (a Louisville postal inspector later told WDRB news that wasn't true).
Breonna Taylor case: Report details why police wanted to search home
I wonder if Mattingly was the "different law enforcement agency" that the postal inspector referred to.

But Tony Gooden said a different law enforcement agency asked his office in January to investigate whether Taylor's home was receiving any potentially suspicious mail. After looking into the request, he said, the local office concluded that it wasn't.

Louisville postal inspector: No ‘packages of interest’ at slain EMT Breonna Taylor’s home

well we should have evidence released shortly so there will be nonreason for speculation.

I doubt securing of the warrant was part of the GJ testimony. If it was, I'd be surprised if everyone involved in gathering info for the warrant was mention to the GJ. jmo

Read the article I just posted in my post before this, I do not want to do a double post that close together.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarishaikh