KY KY - Kathy, 48, & Samantha Netherland, 16, Botland, 21 Apr 2014

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Three issues.

1) A legal doubt. The bodies were discovered by Kathy's father day 22 in the morning. But detectives did not begin to investigate into the house until several hours later, when they got a warrant. Apparently, they simply verify that the killer was not inside the house, and then went out and waited for the warrant. I guess they or paramedics also checked that the victims were dead.

Is this the usual way to proceed? I thought that warrants were mandatory when police need to enter to the house of a suspect, but not when there are victims inside. At least in Spain, to my knowledge, it does not work that way. And I thought that in the USA either.

2) Another question. Only two months for the expiration of the reward, and still nothing. This is getting bad. I think I have a good idea of why detectives are acting as they do, but I have to bite my tongue. Although I think it is not important, becouse it is too late, I do not want anyone to say that investigation is damaged. What are they going to do in two months?

3) The last one. Take a look at this picture of MAPQUEST. I don´t know the date, but there is some kind of construction next to the former house of Kathy. Those who pass through this road (Karenky, at least), please, see if you can take a look and tell us.

Why didn't the Father allow them to search??? That's what has me thrown.

If not robbery then what is the motive? If it was a quick in and out crime, it seems like it was planned to kill both of the people in the home. The father had just died of cancer, could someone have wanted the remaining daughter to get an inheritance? If some one wanted to kill or beat the mom or the daughter alone, why wait until they are home together.

It still seems like the daughter was the target and they killed mom first to get her out of the way. Why would someone want to kill her? She was moving away to school, did they have to act fast before she left? Was some girl jealous and she got friends to help her? The murders occurred right after the mom put pictures of the prom dress on Facebook (which was open for anyone to see, not private). Did the prom dress pictures trigger some real feelings of hate? Was there someone who was angry that the daughter was going to the prom with someone they wanted to be with? I hope all these angles have been looked at by LE.

...The last one. Take a look at this picture of MAPQUEST. I don´t know the date, but there is some kind of construction next to the former house of Kathy. Those who pass through this road (Karenky, at least), please, see if you can take a look and tell us.

netherland house star.JPG

Were you talking about that thing at the end of the gravel road I (tried) to mark with a star?

I'm 98.75% sure that's a barn, not something being built or remodeled.

I have a few good friends that live in "The 'Burg" (on the same road [US-150] just across the Washington County line a few miles east of my pic/snip).
I also have a few friends from Manton (the tiny town where the road [KY-605] going south in the bottom/middle of my pic leads to).

I don't remember any kind of big buildings being built around there recently.
I'll admit that the majority of the times I've been past there in the past couple years have been at nigh, but I've been that way enough times during the day to have noticed something.

The only kind of (major or at least noticeable construction I can think of in that area in recent years is when they remodeled the Olde Botland Grocery building when they turned it into a liquor store. But I'm pretty sure I'd been there (i.e. construction done and store open) before the murders.
The business I speak of is in the lower part of pic, around the middle. It's got a parking lot on the north/west sides of it.

Attachments

• netherland house.JPG
    netherland house.JPG
    102.4 KB · Views: 51
  • netherland house.JPG
    netherland house.JPG
    182.2 KB · Views: 50
View attachment 83103

Were you talking about that thing at the end of the gravel road I (tried) to mark with a star?

I'm 98.75% sure that's a barn, not something being built or remodeled.

I have a few good friends that live in "The 'Burg" (on the same road [US-150] just across the Washington County line a few miles east of my pic/snip).
I also have a few friends from Manton (the tiny town where the road [KY-605] going south in the bottom/middle of my pic leads to).

I don't remember any kind of big buildings being built around there recently.
I'll admit that the majority of the times I've been past there in the past couple years have been at nigh, but I've been that way enough times during the day to have noticed something.

The only kind of (major or at least noticeable construction I can think of in that area in recent years is when they remodeled the Olde Botland Grocery building when they turned it into a liquor store. But I'm pretty sure I'd been there (i.e. construction done and store open) before the murders.
The business I speak of is in the lower part of pic, around the middle. It's got a parking lot on the north/west sides of it.

I do not understand. When I put the map you could see something white beside the house, at a few yards, but now, when you click the link, it has disappeared.

Anyway, in the Google Street View, you can see what looks like a garage, though not in the satellite image.

It seems the new owners have made some arrangements at home.

If not robbery then what is the motive? If it was a quick in and out crime, it seems like it was planned to kill both of the people in the home. The father had just died of cancer, could someone have wanted the remaining daughter to get an inheritance? If some one wanted to kill or beat the mom or the daughter alone, why wait until they are home together.

It still seems like the daughter was the target and they killed mom first to get her out of the way. Why would someone want to kill her? She was moving away to school, did they have to act fast before she left? Was some girl jealous and she got friends to help her? The murders occurred right after the mom put pictures of the prom dress on Facebook (which was open for anyone to see, not private). Did the prom dress pictures trigger some real feelings of hate? Was there someone who was angry that the daughter was going to the prom with someone they wanted to be with? I hope all these angles have been looked at by LE.

Interesting questions. I will discuss them this weekend.

Something that does not fit is the gun. Why use a gun? They had weapons and superiority, so why make noise and risk someone hear it?

As LE has provided tiny information, we have to work with the little they say and what can be deduced from the few references of the family. But we would need to know more information before discarding hypothesis, for example, that there is only one murderer.
Consider the issue of weapons. We know, but not by the police, that at least three different types of weapons were used. But we do not know if the killers brought all weapons or took any from inside the house. We do not know if they took all with them or left one behind. A gun, a knife or similar, a blunt object, perhaps an iron bar or bat.

Or the places where the bodies and signs of struggle or blood stains were found.

Or what happened to pets: two dogs and two cats.

There is something that puzzles me. At first detectives refused to say they were faced with a double homicide, ensuring that it could also be a murder-suicide. The only way that a murder-suicide option could be taken into account in a rational manner is that a gun was found near the body of Kathy. Or detectives were deceiving. An absurd attempt to hide information, as they did from the very beginning, and no one has yet explained why. I am inclined to believe the latter possibility. Indeed, it would be interesting to know if Kathy had a gun at home.

A robbery? It would be rather strange, for several reasons:

Kathy did not have much money, she was a widow with a job as a teacher, with two student daughters and many expenses. The house is very old and does not look wealth.

The house was empty most of the day, so any time would have been good for a robbery, except when the victims were inside. Kathy's car indicated that someone was in the house.

The time. At 20:00 it was still daylight and there was enough light for anyone to see the car or its occupants to enter and left the house.

I'm sure the surviving daughter was the first suspect and the most widely investigated, but it seems that detectives found nothing. Apparently there was a life insurance policy of $ 50,000, but does not seem a very large amount, nor that she needed money or carry a doubtful style of life.

Samantha was leaving to the Gatton Academy, and she and her mother were interviewed by a newspaper three weeks before the murders (LINK). Envy which turns into hatred? It is possible, but these things do not usually start suddenly with a murder, and offenders are often not able to hide his feelings. It is usual to start with verbal attacks, insults, attacks on objects or pets of the victims, small aggressions ... That is why I was concerned about the damage to the door.

But if someone developed envy and hatred to actually kill, and has been able to hide his feelings throughout the process, this is the most dangerous kind of murderer, someone who will kill again for sure. I hope that it is not the case.

Samantha had just the first date with her first "boyfriend", who was to accompany her to the graduation, but there seems to be nothing on that side. Surely the police investigated it.

Was Samantha the main target? I have doubts. If the goal was to get rid of Kahty to develope hate on Samantha, why shoot and make noise? Why not kill Kathy with the same weapons used with his daughter? If the gun had had a good silencer, it will clarify this point, but would provoke new puzzling questions

If some one wanted to kill or beat the mom or the daughter alone, why wait until they are home together.

It's a very good question, but probably there would be no many times when she was alone in the house. If the target was Samantha, it might be difficult to find her alone.

The family says the blows to the head to kill Samantha indicate anger and that perhaps it was personal, but I'm not so sure. From some comments, I think that the blows were to the head, but not in the face, or at least not primarily in the face. Perhaps they interpret as anger what was no more than the adrenaline released in an attempt to kill a person. But without autopsy data, we can not say more than this.

A random killing? The lack of motives could point in that direction, but who and why? In addition, we should clarify what we mean by random. Two or three guys in an Impala pass through a road and suddenly say, hey, let's kill whoever live in that house. It does not seem very credible, especially in places where many people have a gun at home and they did not know if there were one or ten people inside. Were the victims monitored before? But then, to what extent can we speak of random?

One last thing. In the case of Crystal Rogers, it has been presented almost all the information, including hours of interrogatories in video. They have not even told us how Kahty and Samantha died.

I watched this tonight, and it is heartbreaking. One quote stuck out at me, about hundreds of tips but not enough evidence to make an arrest. That could be read to imply that they do think they know what happened but need someone to give them more.

Is it possible that it was a "wrong address" situation? There look to be other residences relatively nearby - could people intending to commit a crime (assault, murder, robbery, whatever) have gone to the wrong house and (horrifically) killed these two apparently lovely individuals instead?

My prayers continue for the family and friends of Kathy and Samantha.
:notgood:

A wrong address situation is a good possibility. Surely the police have investigated all the neighbors. ¿Wrong house? ¿wrong road? ¿wrong city?

Nearly two years, and it is now becoming a cold case. Frozen. I was afraid about it.

They have not yet said how died Kathy and Samantha. Nor the type of gun or bullets.

That could be read to imply that they do think they know what happened but need someone to give them more.

It would be nice, a hope, but I'm afraid they have nothing. Zero.

It's particularly disturbing that this has yet to be solved - three unsolved cases in this Kentucky county only months apart. I live only minutes away, and when this story broke I have to admit it shook me to my core. I used to teach and two of my daughters are teachers now - one in the county neighboring Bardstown. In addition, my vehicle is a dead-ringer for the blurry image they've broadcast as the potential get-away car; however, I drive a Kia Optima. I'm still not convinced that the car they believe to be a Chevy Lumina is what they claim... The tail lights do not look correct for any model 2006-2012. IMO that vehicle could be one of several late models and indeed a couple of very dark colored vehicle colors.

My husband has a sister that lives down the street from this home, and this is indeed a very heavily traveled section of road. Ourselves, we travel this road quite often when going to Bardstown or Louisville or several other areas as its a common road for travelers wishing to connect to interstates in Elizabethtown and Louisville KY. And the food mart located near the home is extremely busy for travelers passing through by car and truckers (we almost always stop ourself to grab a drink and/or sandwich). Sadly, I can see how it would be quite easy for people to disregard and noises or people who seem out of place as this is common in the area.

In small towns, rumors are the norm, but strangely enough, I hear nothing on this case. There's no illicit stories on any family members, no speculation.... Nothing. Very common, and usually the nucleus of any good story in a small town is either a lover or drugs but this family appears squeaky clean. I'm stumped at the possible motive. Was it a wrong house? Someone visiting a liquor store or drugged thinking they had a drug dealers house and was off by a house or two? Was someone angry at the sub teacher because she disciplined their child at school? These are all as far-fetched as that can be and purely my imagination.... I'm totally at a loss with this case.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

But look at this:

http://www.wave3.com/story/26082268/family-of-murdered-nelson-co-teacher-daughter-to-issue-statement

According to their death certificates, Kathy Netherland, 48, was shot multiple times, and her 16-year-old daughter Samantha was beaten in the head on April 21 at their home in the Botland community. Both of them suffered cuts to their necks.

None of this information comes from the police.

If they both had their throats cut then that tells me they knew the killer/killers and they wanted to make sure they were both dead.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hawk53
Back