Found Safe KY - Kenneth Howard, 22mths, Salyersville, 12 May 2019

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
He's so little and those mountains are so big. Hope they find the little guy soon. The lack of thermal imaging is kinda worrisome but it is pretty dense, and rugged terrain, with thick the thick canopy of forestry in almost all of that area it may be more difficult for the thermal imaging.

@rsd1200 wanna ride tomorrow?
It’s really lush right now, the rain has greened our bluegrass well.

News on now, wdky.

Scoured land, half mi radius of the house. How far can 22mo get? Challenging terrain, steep, brush, used ropes,
Waiting for more info. Still hoping.
Volunteers still searching.
Unclear when official search might resume.

It will be hard to sleep tonight thinking that probably 15-20 miles from here, a little boy is crying out in the cold, he has already succumbed to the elements or something nefarious has already happened to him. Either way, I don't believe it can be good news when we hear the outcome. But, we can hope and pray.

It will be hard to sleep tonight thinking that probably 15-20 miles from here, a little boy is crying out in the cold, he has already succumbed to the elements or something nefarious has already happened to him. Either way, I don't believe it can be good news when we hear the outcome. But, we can hope and pray.

It sounds to me like this is now a criminal investigation. The “no word when official search might resume” is quite telling.

SALYERSVILLE, Ky. (WDKY) - The search is underway for a missing toddler in Eastern Kentucky.

Investigators are looking for 22-month-old Kenneth Howard. He went missing Sunday night.

Crews are searching in the Kenneth Combs Road area of Magoffin County, near Floyd County. They are being assisted by two helicopters and several search dogs. There is a wooded hillside behind and around the boy's home at the end of a hollow.

It's unclear what Kenneth's parents were doing when he went missing.

Carter Conley leads the Magoffin County Rescue Squad. He told FOX 56 his team was contacted around 8:30 p.m. Conley said Kenneth went missing around 7:30 p.m. and that the family spent time looking for him before calling the police.

Some are even more concerned because of the cooler weather and rainy conditions that have occurred since his disappearance.

"It's gut-wrenching. It really is," emergency manager and family friend Robert Prater said. "As cool as it got last night and the rain, you start to worry about hypothermia."

Volunteers are also responding to provide water and food for search teams.
Weather

Well, this is not what they reported at 10pm.
If you click the link, then click news, lol. Idk why weather link posted, sorry.
I dislike “it’s unclear what Kenneth’s parents were doing.”
That is the big question.

Garrett Wymer‏Verified account @GarrettWKYT 33m33 minutes ago
Some volunteers are digging out a culvert along the road. Other volunteers say crews are getting ready to check a well on the property close to the house.

D6fhwf3X4AI0n0e.jpg

I just don’t see how they could search in the dark, due to the terrain, do you?
Wouldn't night time be the best time to use the heat seeking equipment? It's cold out and his little body could be snuggled up to a tree or building, blocked by the wind and thus warmer than the ground?

A helicopter with a spotlight can chase a criminal down at night. They could be shining a big search light on the ground for the searchers to follow.

SALYERSVILLE, Ky. (WDKY) - The search is underway for a missing toddler in Eastern Kentucky.

Investigators are looking for 22-month-old Kenneth Howard. He went missing Sunday night.

Crews are searching in the Kenneth Combs Road area of Magoffin County, near Floyd County. They are being assisted by two helicopters and several search dogs. There is a wooded hillside behind and around the boy's home at the end of a hollow.

It's unclear what Kenneth's parents were doing when he went missing.

Carter Conley leads the Magoffin County Rescue Squad. He told FOX 56 his team was contacted around 8:30 p.m. Conley said Kenneth went missing around 7:30 p.m. and that the family spent time looking for him before calling the police.

Some are even more concerned because of the cooler weather and rainy conditions that have occurred since his disappearance.

"It's gut-wrenching. It really is," emergency manager and family friend Robert Prater said. "As cool as it got last night and the rain, you start to worry about hypothermia."

Volunteers are also responding to provide water and food for search teams.
Weather

Well, this is not what they reported at 10pm.
If you click the link, then click news, lol. Idk why weather link posted, sorry.
I dislike “it’s unclear what Kenneth’s parents were doing.”
That is the big question.
I've seen nothing about Mom. Dad reportedly sitting on the porch while Kenneth inside. Or outside with Kenneth. Or maybe mowing lawn, doing yard work..JMO

L
Wouldn't night time be the best time to use the heat seeking equipment? It's cold out and his little body could be snuggled up to a tree or building, blocked by the wind and thus warmer than the ground?

A helicopter with a spotlight can chase a criminal down at night. They could be shining a big search light on the ground for the searchers to follow.

Idk. The foliage is ultra thick. At 22mo I doubt he knew to snuggle up to a tree.
We have awesome S & R in KY & they get a lot (too much) practice at Daniel Boone forest . They are not the kind that quit. I was stunned when I heard the official search was over. Jmo

Not sure about copters flying low in the area at night??? Risky???

Volunteers continuing.
Reporter there all evening.
No signs of KH.
@6:30 pm search suspended until further info from sheriff & KSP.
Foul play not suspected however circumstances are unclear.
Please go to WLEX for more.

I have not read or heard this anywhere, but surely they are not going to change this from a "search & rescue" to a "recovery" this soon, are they? I don't know the parameters for time missing or prohibitive weather or whatever other factors are weighed to make this type of decision. News of the postponement made it cross my mind. It's not that cold, and it doesn't seem that he's been missing long enuff, but that's just my opinion, based on my gut only. I'm a worrier, so please excuse.
Prayers for this beautiful boy, for those who love him, and for those who have and will be searching for him.

I just don’t see how they could search in the dark, due to the terrain, do you?

I do not know what tools official searchers have available but I would have all eyes and ears on the ground regardless of nighttime. I would have headlamps, flashlights, torches, vehicle lights, dogs, people and etc. combing the woods 24/7. Nighttime may not be ideal circumstances but I would use any and every available tool, regardless of how crude, to continue scouring throughout the night. He just went missing, I would consider this time period crucial with regard to locating him/searching for him.

I do not know what tools official searchers have available but I would have all eyes and ears on the ground regardless of nighttime. I would have headlamps, flashlights, torches, vehicle lights, dogs, people and etc. combing the woods 24/7. Nighttime may not be ideal circumstances but I would use any and every available tool, regardless of how crude, to continue scouring throughout the night. He just went missing, I would consider this time period crucial with regard to locating him/searching for him.

I’m familiar with tools they use too.
But.....the way I understand per WLEX, until Sheriff & KSP dictate the official search is on, its not on. Sad.
Foul play not suspected so what is the prob?
And omg, it is really getting cold.

I have ridiculously slow WiFi, that’s why I didn’t link wlex again, maybe someone can?

If if this is now recovery, just no longer an official search.
But in all honesty, how far can a 22mo old go?

I’m familiar with tools they use too.
But.....the way I understand per WLEX, until Sheriff & KSP dictate the official search is on, its not on. Sad.
Foul play not suspected so what is the prob?
And omg, it is really getting cold.

Well, I hope the "unofficial" search continues regardless of calling off the "official" search. Has it been indicated, sorry may have missed it, that foul play is not suspected? ...wondering. tia

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
evremevremm
Back