GUILTY KY - Ryan Poston, 29, murdered at his Highland Heights home, 12 Oct 2012

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
I don't think the judge will have any problem handing out a life sentence.

Is this the same judge as the first trial? I hope not because if he didn't sentence Life in prison then, he probably won't this time.

Edited: Well, now that I think on this some, he might given the jury has recommended life in prison. Last trial they recommended 40 years.

Last edited:
I hope he gives her the life sentence that is recommended. It would be so fitting for her to come away from her do-over with a harsher sentence.

Here's a clip of the court reading the jury's recommendation of a life sentence.

Oh yes---and of her lying down on her attorney's lap and crying AGAIN (What the heck is that all about?)

Jury recommends life in prison for Shayna Hubers
Thank you for finding this! So she basically had no reaction to the sentence, so like Shayna. Plus she gets credit for time served. Grrr!

Thank you for finding this! So she basically had no reaction to the sentence, so like Shayna. Plus she gets credit for time served. Grrr!

Well, the apple doesn't fall far from the tree. When her mother gave her impact statement, she said "I'm not lessening or taking away from or trying to say I don't understand the grief of this family because I do".

You do? Then why didn't you simply add, "I'm so sorry this happened". or "I'm so sorry the the family has to go on without Ryan"

Because like Shayna, she's not sorry he's dead.

I hope the Judge takes the jury's recommendation for a life sentence and then adds the two magical words "without parole".

Well, the apple doesn't fall far from the tree. When her mother gave her impact statement, she said "I'm not lessening or taking away from or trying to say I don't understand the grief of this family because I do".

You do? Then why didn't you simply add, "I'm so sorry this happened". or "I'm so sorry the the family has to go on without Ryan"

Because like Shayna, she's not sorry he's dead.

I hope the Judge takes the jury's recommendation for a life sentence and then adds the two magical words "without parole".

Yes on what Shayna's mother was not saying. I really couldn't understand why she even bothered uttering those words about going to miss her daughter. She had no concept of what the Poston's and Carter's were feeling at all. She should have stopped before she started. jmo

I agree with you the judge should give the life sentence without parole. You know he listened very closely to the testimony like all judges do. They can see right through these defendants and sentence them harshly at least as far as the law will allow them. Just looked it up she has a different Judge this time. Judge Zalla and last time it was Judge Stine.

On Thursday Campbell County Circuit Court Judge Fred A. Stine -- the same judge who sentenced Hubers to 40 years in prison after reportedly describing Poston's killing as “cold-blooded” -- overturned the conviction and ordered that Hubers, 25, get a new trial.

Woman Convicted of Killing Boyfriend Granted New Trial

Judge Dan Zalla read the jury's verdict in court, “We the jury fix the defendant, Shayna Hubers, punishment for the offense of murder at life imprisonment.”

Jury recommends life in prison for Shayna Hubers

Going around singing Amazing Grace, saying ‘yeah she did it’ while in the LE interrogation room, laughing to her mom about the murder and just the things she said to others....shows she does not care at all except for herself. She thought she would get away with it. She is a danger to society and especially any male she gets hooked up to.....ie husband. BeIng young and having no KNOWN killing or abuse history towards others does not mean a thing IMO. I hope the jury gives her the max.

Exactly! No one has a history--until they do.

I think with a life sentence an inmate is eligible for parole after 20 years. Hopefully she won't be granted parole the first time around.

Ideally, she will get life without the possibility of parole because she's already served almost 6 years. If she has a chance at parole eligibility will come in about 14 years. I do believe it will be granted eventually if she is given the possibility.

I firmly believe Hubers is and will always be a danger to anyone who crosses her--men in particular.

I think with a life sentence an inmate is eligible for parole after 20 years. Hopefully she won't be granted parole the first time around.

Ideally, she will get life without the possibility of parole because she's already served almost 6 years. If she has a chance at parole eligibility will come in about 14 years. I do believe it will be granted eventually if she is given the possibility.

I firmly believe Hubers is and will always be a danger to anyone who crosses her--men in particular.

I agree. I wonder how well she will behave in prison. Felon JA figured out quickly that she needed to follow rules and be sweet (ugg cough cough) to get more freedom. Not everyone figures that out. This one may make it but I. Wonder.

Seems to me they usually don't like to grant parole until the perp admits to what they did and shows remorse.

I doubt Shayna is ever going to do either.

She'll claim it was self defense until the day she dies and that Ryan was a terrible person.

Seems to me they usually don't like to grant parole until the perp admits to what they did and shows remorse.

I doubt Shayna is ever going to do either.

She'll claim it was self defense until the day she dies and that Ryan was a terrible person.
I believe that has to be genuine remorse also! The parole board can tell when they don't mean what they are saying. Plus Shayna likes to talk too much she will always whine in prison about how she was treated so unfair and that Ryan was abusive to her. I don't think we have anything to worry about.

I did an alert to get the title changed to Guilty and it hasn't happened. I did that the day she was found Guilty. Does someone want to try I am not sure if that is the way to get it changed? Anyone know?

Comparing both of Shayna Hubers trials side-by-side shows how differently the case was tried by the attorneys involved.

The result, however, was much of the same: guilty of the murder of her boyfriend Ryan Poston on Oct. 12, 2012 in his Highland Heights condominium.

The court scheduled an additional sentencing hearing on Oct. 18. The jury went with the recommendation of the prosecution of the life sentence.

This is the second time a jury has found Hubers guilty of the death of Ryan Poston

The first conviction was thrown out after it was found that a juror in that trial had a prior felony conviction. In Kentucky, felons are not permitted to sit on juries.

Shayna Hubers second trial and conviction: 3 key testimony differences

Has several video clips in the article, including the one of Shayna crying.

I was so relieved to hear this! She is a threat to everyone, but even more so to anyone she is romantically interested in.

I'm from this area and I was so nervous when the retrial was announced. She deserves to spend the rest of her life in prison, IMO.

I hope the judge can do it. He considered a harsher sentence than the 40 years recommended the first time around but then for some reason went along with the 40.

I really hope he will not be swayed by his own thought process. By that, I mean that even though the first trial and penalty phase are of no concern whatsoever in this do-over, the judge is human and might just decide that it would be too controversial to treat this killer more harshly than he did a few years ago for the same crime.

Problem is, without a life sentence she could be out in less than 20. She will have to be given credit for time served--I don't think there is any way around that. So that could mean a parole hearing in less than 15 years. I don't think it would be granted but who knows anymore what weird twists the legal system will take. As a female Hubers is more likely to be given extra consideration (not fair, but it happens). She's young, pretty and white (none of which should matter but we all know it does).

If the court continues to follow its own directive, Hubers' sentence do-over should not be tainted by the first sentence handed down. It is all about this trial, this jury and this recommendation, and none of what occurred in past should matter. But of course, there's no guarantee that it won't.

With a life sentence Hubers will get out one day, just not as soon. I hope this judge will consider the protection of society first and foremost. If he does what needs to be done to protect society from this monster, the punishment will be taken care of as a matter of course.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Asmok
Back