Found Deceased KY - Savannah Spurlock, 22, left 'The Other Bar' with 2 men, Richmond, 4 Jan 2019 #6 *Arrest*

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes exactly. She was murdered in his bedroom of his rental home and he soon after moved back home with parents. It’s my belief that he dug a grave at his parents and buried her within 2 days of her death.
Some blood on the back side of a closet door isn't sufficient evidence that she was murder in his bedroom.

I think he put her in the closet to hide her body until he dug the grave to bury her. How she died is yet to be determined.

JMO

<modsnip: quoted post was removed>

Let say for a second, and I'm just speculating here so don't get all mad at me, that Savannah had some type of medical issue or accident that caused her death. It could have been brought on by having sex so soon after giving birth or it could have been just a complication from the birth and had nothing to do with having sex at all. Unless the blood that was found was postmortem (dismemberment) I would say that if her death was related to a medical issue it had to do with some issue that would cause blood to be present. At this point I don't think we know just how much blood was found. If she hemorrhaged there could have been a lot and if she was passed out she might not even have known it was happening.

Another reason for blood to be present might be she was very intoxicated and she fell causing an injury that caused her to bleed and caused her death. There have been many a people that have died this way. Perhaps he was passed out and when he awoke he found her deceased and like so many others figured he would be in trouble if he called to report it. He then tried to cover it up by burying her body.

The charges Sparks is charged with support those theories at this time not knowing what the cause of death is and if he gave a story that he found her deceaced during an interviewed LE would need to wait until the autopsy to further charge him with more charges if it turned out she was murdered.

JMO

I was thinking about it. One thing that happens seldom, postpartum but is deadly is DIC, several others that come to mind are DVT and postpartum cardiomyopathy, as well as infection. Twins, of course, are more problematic complications-wise in general. Of these complications, the first one might be deadly, with massive amount of blood lost, but it usually happens after delivery. 6 weeks later is out of the range. The other three are serious, and might end fatally, or might not. Surely DVT with pulmonary embolism is high on the list. She was a young mother, I don’t know about her prenatal and postpartum care, and twins make pregnancy more difficult.

However, I don’t quite understand the mentality of the person who started looking for identical rug instead of calling 911. This is not how a normal person would think. I understand that people might be afraid of the police. And truly, he would probably be high on the suspicion list. But say, a stranger died in your house - call 911! This would be my first reaction. (I’d probably be hysterical if it happened). Burying her on his property is incredibly suspicious.

I still don't understand why he is still in jail after being charged with what has been described as a misdemeanor. Why hasn't bond/bail been set? I can't believe a judge can just say let me think about it & I will get back to you later.

I was thinking about it. One thing that happens seldom, postpartum but is deadly is DIC, several others that come to mind are DVT and postpartum cardiomyopathy, as well as infection. Twins, of course, are more problematic complications-wise in general. Of these complications, the first one might be deadly, with massive amount of blood lost, but it usually happens after delivery. 6 weeks later is out of the range. The other three are serious, and might end fatally, or might not. Surely DVT with pulmonary embolism is high on the list. She was a young mother, I don’t know about her prenatal and postpartum care, and twins make pregnancy more difficult.

However, I don’t quite understand the mentality of the person who started looking for identical rug instead of calling 911. This is not how a normal person would think. I understand that people might be afraid of the police. And truly, he would probably be high on the suspicion list. But say, a stranger died in your house - call 911! This would be my first reaction. (I’d probably be hysterical if it happened). Burying her on his property is incredibly suspicious.
I think we will come to find out there were injuries not associated with an accidental death IMO. Now that the file is sealed (posted upthread) I don't think we will know anything further until he is charged (and even then, will that warrant also be sealed?). Poor girl.

In line with my defense theory I believe he could argue that he felt (rightly or wrongly) some degree of culpability and that is why he panicked & tried to cover up her death.

Does anybody have any information about the home that Savannah was killed in? Sparks took her there, and I've heard it referred to as his residence, but I've also heard that he resided with his parents at the house where she was buried. Did he move back with his parents after the crime?

The home where she died, is on a little street, in the town of Lancaster. A rental. The home where she was buried is his parent's home, which is around five miles, give or take, from where he lived, in town. The parents have lived out there in the country, for several years.

Last edited:
I still don't understand why he is still in jail after being charged with what has been described as a misdemeanor. Why hasn't bond/bail been set? I can't believe a judge can just say let me think about it & I will get back to you later.

Very small town, very unusual case, big decision.

What bothers me is that the manner and cause of death had not been determined at the time of the preliminary hearing.

Savannah's body was identified and an autopsy was performed and we know the ME was apparently not able to determine the cause of death at that time, as that is what was reported after the hearing, which was gained apparently from the testimony that was given during the hearing. I'm sure if the cause of death was known and the manner of death had been determined as homicide, Sparks would have likely been charged with murder by now, which he may very well be in the future once the manner of death is known and if it turns out to be homicide.

When a body is found with their hands and or feet bound there is usually some evidence as to what caused that persons death such as blunt force trauma, stab wound(s), bullet wound(s), strangulation, asphyxiation to name a few. These causes of death can normally be determined during the autopsy. A perpetrator doesn't bind someone's feet or hands and wave their hand in the air and that person instantly dies with no injury. It usually takes some act of violence to kill someone that will leave a tell-tail sign that will be seen during the autopsy, and that must not have been the case here. If there was a struggle, bruising is likely to be seen depending on the decomposition and condition of the body.

I guess he could have tied her up, raped her, then poisoned her or killed her is some fashion like that which would leave no visible sign of trauma to the body. But that usually takes a long time for the person to die unless you have the right kinds of poison and I doubt this is the case.The tape would no doubt leave injuries to the body also if it were placed there while she was still alive.

And if someone is going to tie a victim up to rape them it would make more sense to bind their hands than their feet. Binding only the feet and not their hands makes no sense if you were planning on raping someone. I think it would be harder to rape someone with their feet bound together. I know it's harder to have sex with someone with their pants around their ankles. OK did I just say that, cripes what was I thinking :)

<modsnip>

I guess we will just need to wait until it is announce how Savannah died to see where this case goes.

JMO

Last edited by a moderator:
I believe he buried here that very morning. Apparently he was there for two hours. Did he move back to that residence to keep an eye on the secret he had buried in the backyard?

i think she died in the early hours of jan 4, put her in the closet, then took her to his parents the overnight of 4-5.

Last edited:
What bothers me is that the manner and cause of death had not been determined at the time of the preliminary hearing.

Savannah's body was identified and an autopsy was performed and we know the ME was apparently not able to determine the cause of death at that time, as that is what was reported after the hearing, which was gained apparently from the testimony that was given during the hearing. I'm sure if the cause of death was known and the manner of death had been determined as homicide, Sparks would have likely been charged with murder by now, which he may very well be in the future once the manner of death is known and if it turns out to be homicide.

When a body is found with their hands and or feet bound there is usually some evidence as to what caused that persons death such as blunt force trauma, stab wound(s), bullet wound(s), strangulation, asphyxiation to name a few. These causes of death can normally be determined during the autopsy. A perpetrator doesn't bind someone's feet or hands and wave their hand in the air and that person instantly dies with no injury. It usually takes some act of violence to kill someone that will leave a tell-tail sign that will be seen during the autopsy, and that must not have been the case here. If there was a struggle, bruising is likely to be seen depending on the decomposition and condition of the body.

I guess he could have tied her up, raped her, then poisoned her or killed her is some fashion like that which would leave no visible sign of trauma to the body. But that usually takes a long time for the person to die unless you have the right kinds of poison and I doubt this is the case.The tape would no doubt leave injuries to the body also if it were placed there while she was still alive.

And if someone is going to tie a victim up to rape them it would make more sense to bind their hands than their feet. Binding only the feet and not their hands makes no sense if you were planning on raping someone. I think it would be harder to rape someone with their feet bound together. I know it's harder to have sex with someone with their pants around their ankles. OK did I just say that, cripes what was I thinking :)

Her death could have been attributed to a drug overdose. Maybe they were doing heroin and she got a large dose of fentanyl.

I guess we will just need to wait until it is announce how Savannah died to see where this case goes.

JMO
@Joe Friday. I am on a similar train of thought as you are, and all of this is JMO. I have no knowledge except what I have read on here. I'm not sure how badly decomposed the body was, how much tissue and cartilage was left. asphyxiation will leave signs in the whites of the eye and sometimes on the skin depending on the method but if those were decomposed it would take blood/tissue samples to determine if there were concomitant low oxygen [hypoxia], high carbon dioxide [hypercapnia] and acidosis present.
Most trauma that is enough to kill will leave some type of mark to bone, fx ribs, skull fracture, bullets ricochet , blah blah. We do not know how much blood was found on the rug she was wrapped in, but a violent death (I feel) would have more blood spatter than just the spot on the closet door that required a chemical to locate. I work trauma at a level I trauma center and blood is not easy to clean out of any material & trying to clean it often makes it worse.
Where I'm a little torn is I don't feel this was an oooopsie death. Even an accidental OD would maybe warrant a manslaughter charge..that's better than murder. But I don't really get the feeling this was a premeditated situation either. I think a lot of alcohol was involved and possible other substances. I also think that she was about 4 weeks post partum? I had twins and I find it likely if they did have relations she bled extensively. I do think the feet were bound postmortem to make her easier to move. He was by himself and needed to make it look like he was carrying a 150lb rug. He couldn't risk legs falling out. I think they are waiting for the blood and tissue samples to give a definitive answer which like you makes me either think the body was severely decomposed or there is not a clear cause of death. Either way, we have to wait and see.

Police serve search warrant in Savannah Spurlock case

I also think she was first put in the closet, then put in that car trunk pictured being confiscated during the Jan 22 search warrant. Probably when DS first came to visit his parents for 2 hrs on the 4th....that was the purpose of the first visit - to get the body out of his house. Then he came back in middle of the night to bury her. I think she has been there in the yard the whole time. The first couple days were his only window to bury her before being a POI and why else would he back in the middle of the night. Still shocked he chose his own soon to be backyard instead of a remote forest though!

Police serve search warrant in Savannah Spurlock case

I also think she was first put in the closet, then put in that car trunk pictured being confiscated during the Jan 22 search warrant. Probably when DS first came to visit his parents for 2 hrs on the 4th....that was the purpose of the first visit - to get the body out of his house. Then he came back in middle of the night to bury her. I think she has been there in the yard the whole time. The first couple days were his only window to bury her before being a POI and why else would he back in the middle of the night. Still shocked he chose his own soon to be backyard instead of a remote forest though!
Yes, not really sure what he was thinking either. Obviously her grave was not meant to be permanent or else he'd have dug it deeper. I think that he was very quickly under 24 hour surveillance and never had an opportunity to mover her. But why didn't he just dump her in a field somewhere? Possibly he was planning to completely dispose of her so that she would never be found? I don't know.

So according to the latest article her hands were also bound. Likely poor reporting IMO.

Sure would like to hear the complete testimony given at the preliminary hearing.

Grand jury to take up David Sparks case in August

During Sparks' preliminary hearing, troopers say they believe he took a rug and garbage bags from his Price Court home on January 4, buried her in those and bound her hands and feet. She was buried at his parents' home on Fall Lick Road.

He has a lawyer. How can they hold him on a possible misdemeanor indictment until mid August without bail. Is there anyone that can explain this. I guess he might want to stay in jail & so instructed his attorney.

Technically, abuse of a corpse is a felony now. It was changed this year but I have to go back and find out the exact date it was upgraded.

He has a lawyer. How can they hold him on a possible misdemeanor indictment until mid August without bail. Is there anyone that can explain this. I guess he might want to stay in jail & so instructed his attorney.

Here’s the official statute since it’s been upgraded. There would be a good argument though to charge him with a misdemeanor if the crime happened prior to it officially being upgraded to a felony. I was thinking it officially changed 7/1 but was voted on back in March. I’ll have to double check though.

Sorry, forgot the link

https://apps.legislature.ky.gov/recorddocuments/bill/19RS/sb155/orig_bill.pdf

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members