Found Deceased KY - Savannah Spurlock, 22, left 'The Other Bar' with 2 men, Richmond, 4 Jan 2019

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm local to this-half my property is in Madison County and I grew up in Richmond. Husband teaches at EKU there in town. I don't know Savannah but we have dozens of friends in common. I could probably answer any question about the area (including Lexington).

@jULIA_bEE explains the dry, wet and moist counties or towns really well. It sounds like people travel out of dry counties to go to bars and it increases DUIs because of all the travel involved. With 4 kids 2 of them being twins and only five weeks old that can't be easy. Hormones, postpartum depression or just stress can affect decisions. Drinking and driving isn't okay, but taking time to see friends and get out of the house is healthy. It can keep you sane.

Years ago, Richmond had a thriving nightlife scene. 1st street had a bunch of nice little bars, pubs, and dance halls. On Thursday night you could barely drive through downtown. It was good because the college kids could walk from EKU to the bars so nobody had to get behind the wheel. Over the years, though, various people in the higher ups of the town decided to "clean up" downtown. One by one, most of the bars disappeared. Now if anyone wants to go anywhere, one has to get in a vehicle. Downtown Lexington has a thriving nightlife scene downtown,but it's a 25-minute drive from Richmond. It is still much more common for people to drive from Richmond and Berea to go to Lex than to hang around Richmond. As a result, we seem to have more alcohol-related wrecks, DUIs, etc. It's sad. In an effort to make our downtown more "family friendly" it just made the area more dangerous and virtually killed downtown in the process (most buildings are completely empty now).

Years ago, Richmond had a thriving nightlife scene. 1st street had a bunch of nice little bars, pubs, and dance halls. On Thursday night you could barely drive through downtown. It was good because the college kids could walk from EKU to the bars so nobody had to get behind the wheel. Over the years, though, various people in the higher ups of the town decided to "clean up" downtown. One by one, most of the bars disappeared. Now if anyone wants to go anywhere, one has to get in a vehicle. Downtown Lexington has a thriving nightlife scene downtown,but it's a 25-minute drive from Richmond. It is still much more common for people to drive from Richmond and Berea to go to Lex than to hang around Richmond. As a result, we seem to have more alcohol-related wrecks, DUIs, etc. It's sad. In an effort to make our downtown more "family friendly" it just made the area more dangerous and virtually killed downtown in the process (most buildings are completely empty now).
That really sucks. Even if you uber or have a designated driver there are still other drunk people on the road. I would think having a festive nightlife scene that was within walking distance would be a good thing.

That really sucks. Even if you uber or have a designated driver there are still other drunk people on the road. I would think having a festive nightlife scene that was within walking distance would be a good thing.

There were live music bars with folk and bluegrass, coffee houses with poetry readings, dance clubs, etc. It was a really good, fun, scene. Now going out is much more dangerous. As you said, there are others on the road who do not drink responsibly. We seem to hear about more crime in general in reference to the bars/clubs, too. One of my gay friends was brutally beaten outside a bar in Lexington a few years ago. 20 years of going out in Richmond and he never had a problem. The whole sense of community is lacking in Richmond now. It's just become a bedroom town of Lexington. I'm not implying that Richmond is safer than Lex, but if you went out often you kind of got to "know" people, at least by sight. And you always ran into someone you literally knew.

My FB newsfeed is blowing up over this. Nothing specific, just general worry from the people who knew her. It's sad.

Exactly. Richmond is moist but you can’t have bars out there. Most college aged kids drive out to Lexington to go to the bar. Same for Garrard.

Spencer county was dry up until a few years ago and I had friends who would drive into Louisville and go out to the bars with us. They’d drive the 35 mins back to Spencer co after the bars closed. It’s dangerous. Regardless, that’s why she was probably in Lexington. There’s more for her to do, as a 22 year old female, wanting to go to a bar. Same for the guys in Garrard Co. since they can’t even purchase alcohol there.

BBM Richmond is wet in that they can have bars in the city limits, but it's considered "moist" because the rest of the county is dry. There are plenty of bars, bar & grills, and restaurants that serve alcohol there but it's no longer the young, college scene it was 15 years ago. For that, yeah, it's Lexington. My county, on the other side of Madison, is mostly dry but people here will bypass Richmond and Winchester and go straight to Lexington now. Younger crowd and more choices.

Were the reports of her car being found just rumors? Do we even know if she drove or did her friend she went to the bar with.

To be honest when you all started talking about being wet or dry I thought you all meant “wetlands” like swamps. Lol.
This is all new to me!!!

Anyhow hope this young lady is ok. Feeling fearful.

haha! I grew up in Louisville. The bars close late and you can buy alcohol pretty much whenever...unless it's before a certain time on Sunday. I didn't realize there were "dry" and "moist" counties until I graduated highschool and started going out with friends. Most of my friends were either at UK or EKU. That's when I started noticing the different county laws. Since we were all from Louisville, going out in Lexington was way more fun since it was somewhere new. We hardly ever went out if we were in Richmond visiting EKU though. I had SEVERAL friends get DUI's just because they'd drive back to campus from Lexington after a night out.

Were the reports of her car being found just rumors? Do we even know if she drove or did her friend she went to the bar with.

It's funny you mention that. I looked last night and right now the car being found is just rumor. They should probably scrub it from this forum because I can't find any valid MSM article or video about it.

They also haven't mentioned who drove to the bar that night. All we know so far is that she went with a friend who wanted to leave before she was ready to go.

It's funny you mention that. I looked last night and right now the car being found is just rumor. They should probably scrub it from this forum because I can't find any valid MSM article or video about it.

They also haven't mentioned who drove to the bar that night. All we know so far is that she went with a friend who wanted to leave before she was ready to go.

Her mom posted that car was found on her own SM account, but I do not believe it has been reported by MSM.

Her mom posted that car was found on her own SM account, but I do not believe it has been reported by MSM.
Does this mean the talk about about a parking garage is also rumor? Three people have been questioned. I'm not sure if that included the 2 seen in the released photo. If she facetimed her mom saying/showing her with an African American man & a man & women in the back seat those should be who le is looking for.

Hello, long time lurker, first time poster.

I live in the same city as Savannah, and I am somewhat familiar with the area in Lexington that she was last seen. I am surprised that we haven't heard about why she went to this particular bar. It is kinda of far from Richmond. I mean Lexington is close by freeway, but this is in the downtown, not so safe at night area. I think she was there to meet someone that night. If not, why would she drive all of that way? There are plenty of other places between here and there to grab a drink. I definitely wouldn't drive that far and be in that area at night by myself. JMO

Hope she is found safe!

I am also in Richmond. I would not live in Lexington after seeing the news every night. IMO

Does this mean the talk about about a parking garage is also rumor? Three people have been questioned. I'm not sure if that included the 2 seen in the released photo. If she facetimed her mom saying/showing her with an African American man & a man & women in the back seat those should be who le is looking for.
I think the parking garage and two men she was seen walking with was reported by law enforcement/MSM. I also believe that I saw an article linked on here about the facetime call, but I am not 100%.

ETA- white guy with truck that was pictured has been questioned and I think that they started looking for new car after that (Black Buick?).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Venusflytrap100