KY - Tommy Ballard, 54, shot to death, Nelson County, 19 Nov 2016

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Wouldn't the two Houck brothers know where his land was and how to get on and off of it via vehicle ? Is hunting allowed on the properties that border his ? Better yet, would they know how to access his property via the properties bordering his ?

Was going out to hunt deer on the first day of the season a regular tradition with Tommy ?

Anybody know how many acres this family hunting spot was ?

It was stated in the articles upstream that Tommy thought he was being followed. Okay. Got a description of the car, pickup, or the person doing the following ?

At first glance, I thought this was an unfortunate accident that happened due to a hunter making a stray shot that possibly traveled out of his field of view and hit Tommy. After hearing said shot hit him center mass though, I think I may have to revise my opinion about it. Also, the fact that no one has come forward at all, lends credence to the theory that this wasn't an accident, it was an assassination.

A 200-300 yard shot would put the shooter well out of visible range if hidden or camouflaged , which is why neither Tommy or his grandson noticed him......either before or after the shot. That distance is not much of a challenge for an experienced shooter with a high powered rifle and a scoped weapon. To put it in perspective, while looking through the scope, Tommy would have appeared to be about 80-100 feet away from the shooter.

Although I'm not familiar with hunting season, would it be unreasonable to assume that the property where Tommy was hunting had a deer stand and camera? Don't most hunting lands have at least a stand and camera somewhere although they may be located separately? Would the adjacent land where CB was also have a stand and camera? The next property over too, maybe? Is the reason the KSP asked for trucker's video because the images on all properties were not available or non existent? I have local friends who speak of stands almost always and cameras frequently. Seems that people enjoy viewing the deer roaming their land even if they don't hunt.

If deer stands and cameras are the norm, who would dare invade private property unless they really knew the layout of the land and all adjoining properties? Surely there is video somewhere of that morning and if not, why? Tommy being shot through the chest on opening day while his grandson returned to the truck was not an accident. No doubt in my mind that this was premeditated and the same person responsible for Crystal's death played a part in this nightmare too. I would love for some locals to give input.

What's it been now since this happened, about 6 weeks ?

Okay, sad to say it, but it's doubtful anyone will ever be held responsible for this.

It seems as if the killers in Bardstown are never brought to justice. Nobody is ever tried for murder there.

Whoever is doing all the killing and making people disappear, is much smarter than the people chasing him, that's for sure. Sooner or later you just have to accept the obvious.

Deer stands and cameras are not necessarily mandatory for deer hunting. Cameras are a relatively new technology when you consider the history of hunting, and people hunted successfully for many years without them.

Cameras are also very portable. If this was a planned act, and the perpetrator planned this well, they would have known the area well enough to have scouted out potential locations for a camera ahead of time. Cameras are really simple to mount- usually just a form of bungy cord that you use to strap the camera to a tree. You usually position the camera in an area deer (or whatever you are hunting) frequent. They usually only take still photos, unlike a surveillance video that is continuously running. Depending on what size memory card a camera has, as well as the battery life, you could be limited on how much use you get out of a game cam.

Stands are also very portable as well. When I was younger, you built a stand in a tree using hammer, nails and wood. These days stands are lightweight and portable, so you can pack them further into hunting land if you wish.

If Mr. Ballard hunted this land regularly, he may have had a tree stand and cameras set up, particularly since it is his son's land. But, if his death was planned, I would think the perpetrator would have taken all these things into consideration.

My heart goes out to the Ballard family. We can only hope the silence in this investigation is a sign that LE is working diligently to solve the mysteries involving Mr. Ballard's death and Crystal's disappearance?

This is starting to look like a joke. Six weeks and nothing. I fear another unsolved crime. Detectives say nothing, and journalists say nothing and ask nothing, and people know nothing. There should be 50 detectives in Bardstwon right now.

My hope is that things are EXTREMELY quiet, even from the Ballard family, and it means LE is working diligently and getting their ducks in a row for arrests and prosecutions.

WOW! Nothing new posted in this case. Strange, strange, strange.... I can tell you one thing, that's one area of the country I won't be moving to! Too many unsolved murders for my liking.

Another thing to note about cameras (if they were in use) is they don't cover much ground. Different cameras have different capabilities. Generally, the field of view is fairly small and they are normally placed along active trails in the woods. Detection range is usually around 60ft on the more affordable options and over 100 ft on more expensive options. It's not that hard to avoid them if you're looking for them.

That being said, I wouldn't be surprised if LE didn't think to ask locals for trail camera footage.

Sherry Ballard to work with national production company in daughter, husband's cases

Her daughter is missing, her husband is dead. Now, Sherry Ballard will tell her story to a national TV audience as she searches for answers. Ballard is the mother of missing Bardstown mom of five Crystal Rogers, and the widow of Tommy Ballard, who was mysteriously killed in November.

The grieving widow wants more eyes on the investigations in hopes of solving them. Ballard just agreed to tell her story to the production company that she asked us not to name. That company confirmed it will be shooting with Ballard in Bardstown. It's a compelling story, so it's not surprising Ballard has been approached to tell it. She said she believes it's what she needs to do to get answers for her husband and her daughter.

"I feel like it's just going to go away if I don't keep pushing," Ballard told WAVE 3 News on Thursday. "That's why I think I need some kind of national
recognition. I'm just hoping that we'll get more people in here and we'll get more help.

"I'm hanging in there," added the grief-stricken Ballard, who's approaching the three-month mark of losing her rock, her husband Tommy. "I just get up and take it day by day."
http://www.wave3.com/story/34470351...production-company-in-daughter-husbands-cases

SBallard1.jpg

SBallard2.jpg

SBallard3.jpg

Sherry Ballard is a very brave woman. She has lost so much, she's willing to do what it takes to expose the corruption in this town, put the spotlight on, and reveal it for what it is. There won't be anyplace left to hide. .

Wow! Still nothing? This is insane!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

There are a lot of "hunting accidents" around Bardstown. In September 2009, a man named Derek Downs was squirrel-hunting when he was accidentally shot by Michael Unseld. Last June -- almost 7 years later -- someone went to Unseld's apartment, shot him dead and the shooter has never been identified. Recently, "The Kentucky Standard" requested to see documents pertaining to the investigation of the Downs shooting, but the request was denied because investigators believe the material might be related to Unseld's murder.

Sherry Ballard is a very brave woman. She has lost so much, she's willing to do what it takes to expose the corruption in this town, put the spotlight on, and reveal it for what it is. There won't be anyplace left to hide. .

I hope and pray that Sherry is "watching her back." It is scary to think that she might be next on this unknown(?) perps "hit list."

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
one that lived it
Back