Kyron Horman's mom's civil suit against Terri Horman

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I am not one of the Terry is guilty crowd either. Why are these friends just now coming forward to give new info? As for the school, Ms Porter should answer for her lax attitude about where was Kyron after the SF tour, In the bathroom...a drink of water...???
I haven't learned anything to convince me of TH's innocence in the case and there are several questionable things that makes her suspicious IMO. Yes, that is odd about Ms Porter. It could be what she said was held back at the request of LE. Desiree did say at one time there were things LE were not making public.

What always gets me is how the person who knows exactly what happened to a missing person can stay silent. Here that would be the one who 'disappeared' Kyron.

Hi Jack, I've read here tonight there has been new info come to light from some of Terri's friends/acquaintances acc to Kaine. I don't think this primo attny would take a civil rights case if he didn't believe Kyron's CR's were violated. And the basis for that acc to what I heard on Channel 6 News, is they believe TH kidnapped him, taking away his civil rights.

IMO there must be evidence that now relates to that, don't you think? I can't imagine filing a $10 Million CR case without real proof. Maybe I just want it to be true so the truth will come out about what happened to Kyron and where he is now.

No I don't believe there necessarily has to be any evidence at all for an attorney to file a case. It should be that they have a strong case but I think it is a fishing expedition and/or a scare tactic. The worst that could happen is it gets dismissed, and the attorney gets a little attention. No doubt Kyron's rights have been violated. But I don't see any proof it was TH who is responsible. Evidently LE doesn't either or there would be charges filed.

I really wish there was a break in this case even if it does turn out to be TH as the culprit. I want to know what happened to him as well. And I want peace for his mother and father.

Thank you for posting one of the many wonderful photos of Kyron. This one is so heartbreaking...we all know why. :heartbeat: :sigh:

If nothing else, this civil suit gets Kyron back in the media.

I'm surprised that Kaine didn't know about the suit.

My heart breaks for Desiree, Kaine, and everyone else who loves Kyron...

:seeya: You're Welcome, Cazzie !

Yes, this particular photo of Kyron is so heartbreaking ! He is so happy and so proud of his science project !

JMO, but I am glad that Kaine was not involved in the suit brought by Desiree because Terri will NOT be able to yell and scream "conspiracy" !

:moo:

We did get an idea of her perverted texts to her boyfriend while everyone was searching for Kyron.

More power to Terri I hope they find Kyron. She probably has been told things we are not privy to. She is married to a LE officer. JMO!

I believe you mean Desiree is married to an LE officer.

Terri is the step-mom being sued by Desiree. :)

As I wrote before the presser, they may not get Terri to implicate herself or to confess, but they can jolly well drag all her best friends into court and get them to testify again. Yes, they've been through a Grand Jury before, but this new attorney may have new questions to ask them. And more importantly, if those so-called friends who might be keeping Terri's secrets get scared enough, they might make some kind of deal to share what knowledge they have of Kyron's disappearance. Someone has to have a conscience out there.

It sounds like they are going to haul out the mountain of texts and sexts and drag all that mess through the public arena again to put pressure on Terri and her accomplice/accomplices.

I think this is brilliant. Those lawyers on TV don't understand - Desiree isn't doing this for money. That's not really what she wants - she wants her son back one way or another.

http://portlandtribune.com/news/story.php?story_id=133860070833080700

"Terri Horman has separated from Kyron’s father, Kaine Horman. Both Kaine and Desiree have publicly accused Terri Horman of being responsible for Kyron’s disappearance, although no one has been arrested or even named a person of interest in the case. Terri Horman has not been charged with any crime in connection with Kryon’s disappearance."

More at link.

Anxiously waiting disclosure. This is going to be interesting to say the least.

Is anyone else looking forward to seeing how Terri's held up? I am.

I'm also anticipating the reporters' "exclusive interview!!" with Terri... AKA flinging themselves at the windshield of her moving car while asking if she has any comment.

:floorlaugh::floorlaugh: "Exclusive Interview with Terri Horman" ... this made me LOL !

Reminds me of that "exclusive" the reporters were trying to get in Roseburg when they were following Terri around the neighborhood on her "morning walk" ...

:waitasec: I do hope some reporters were "staking out" Roseburg this afternoon and come back and give us some "scoop" ...

:waitasec: And I do hope Desiree's attorney had a "PI" on Terri's tail today ... ya never know ...

:moo:

Wow, the lawyer has never seen anyone ask for this type of injunction (to compel Terri to tell them where Kyron is)

That is because this is a newer law, I believe. It is called "Aaron's Law", and it was passed in 2005 as a result of Sean Cruz's efforts after his children were taken by his ex-wife. Aaron is the name of his son who eventually died.

To date, Oregon is the first and only state to have this type of law that allows for a civil lawsuit for custodial interference. That also explains the two year statute of limitations. This is truly a landmark case. I am so pleased that Desiree is doing this! Not only that, but her lawyer has a stellar reputation; he is one of the best in Oregon.

Hi Jack, I've read here tonight there has been new info come to light from some of Terri's friends/acquaintances acc to Kaine. I don't think this primo attny would take a civil rights case if he didn't believe Kyron's CR's were violated. And the basis for that acc to what I heard on Channel 6 News, is they believe TH kidnapped him, taking away his civil rights.

IMO there must be evidence that now relates to that, don't you think? I can't imagine filing a $10 Million CR case without real proof. Maybe I just want it to be true so the truth will come out about what happened to Kyron and where he is now.

I believe you mean Desiree is married to an LE officer.

Terri is the step-mom being sued by Desiree. :)

As I wrote before the presser, they may not get Terri to implicate herself or to confess, but they can jolly well drag all her best friends into court and get them to testify again. Yes, they've been through a Grand Jury before, but this new attorney may have new questions to ask them. And more importantly, if those so-called friends who might be keeping Terri's secrets get scared enough, they might make some kind of deal to share what knowledge they have of Kyron's disappearance. Someone has to have a conscience out there.

It sounds like they are going to haul out the mountain of texts and sexts and drag all that mess through the public arena again to put pressure on Terri and her accomplice/accomplices.

I think this is brilliant. Those lawyers on TV don't understand - Desiree isn't doing this for money. That's not really what she wants - she wants her son back one way or another.

I wish that there was a "really like" button here. Your post just summed up my thoughts about this latest civil case filing so very nicely. Thanks!

That is because this is a newer law, I believe. It is called "Aaron's Law", and it was passed in 2005 as a result of Sean Cruz's efforts after his children were taken by his ex-wife. Aaron is the name of his son who eventually died.

To date, Oregon is the first and only state to have this type of law that allows for a civil lawsuit for custodial interference. That also explains the two year statute of limitations. This is truly a landmark case. I am so pleased that Desiree is doing this! Not only that, but her lawyer has a stellar reputation; he is one of the best in Oregon.

:seeya: Thanks, Helenstreet, for this update on "Aaron's Law" !

I hope more States "get on the bandwagon" and pass similar legislation !

:please: for Kyron and Desiree !

No I don't believe there necessarily has to be any evidence at all for an attorney to file a case. It should be that they have a strong case but I think it is a fishing expedition and/or a scare tactic. The worst that could happen is it gets dismissed, and the attorney gets a little attention. No doubt Kyron's rights have been violated. But I don't see any proof it was TH who is responsible. Evidently LE doesn't either or there would be charges filed.

I really wish there was a break in this case even if it does turn out to be TH as the culprit. I want to know what happened to him as well. And I want peace for his mother and father.

It IS a fishing expedition and a pressure tactic, as they explicitly said during the press conference. They are "fishing" for evidence, and they are putting pressure on Terri in every way possible to compel her to speak.

The worst that happens is actually that Kyron's case gets attention, which is excellent since he's still a missing person and a lot of time has passed. So this is a small win/big win scenario.

LE does have proof that satisfies them and the family that Terri was responsible. Proof that points to the murderer and proof that can prosecute Terri of murder in the absence of a body are slightly different -just like in the Scott Peterson case. I remember how blown away I was when I realized the extent of evidence LE had against Scott and how they had to sit on it until Laci's body was found. I'm sure this is the same. When both LE and the family saw the evidence they were satisfied that Terri was guilty and are now focused on finding his remains (probably) so the case can move forward.

Even the small amount of evidence they've released to the public has been pretty shocking - at least to me -about Terri's state of mind and behavior as a parent. I do hope this civil case allows the family to see more of the evidence LE has been sitting on.

Is anyone else looking forward to seeing how Terri's held up? I am.

I'm also anticipating the reporters' "exclusive interview!!" with Terri... AKA flinging themselves at the windshield of her moving car while asking if she has any comment.

Too funny!

It's never clear to me, in situations like this, how plaintiffs can afford the legal costs. I was falsely arrested, and had a tiny little misdemeanor charge, and it cost me $5000 to pay the defense atty. That was just for a plea deal. I really wanted to fight to prove my innocence, for my peace of mind, (the charges weren't serious enough to jeopardize job applications or criminal background checks etc. So, I wasn't concerned about it effecting my future) but I couldn't justify the additional cost so that I would feel vindicated. In the end, I took the deal to save money. The money isn't just mine, it's my husband's nd kids too.

Additionally, when my grandmother became mentally incapacitated, she got really angry with us in her confusion, and as a result of things she said, her neighbors rallied around her, helped her hire an attorney, and my mother had to fight in court for legal guardianship. My mother won it, but my grandmother spent $30,000 fighting it. (thanks to he helpful neighbors who ultimately accomplished nothing but draining y grandma's savings.)

My point is that these were small cases, that did not require the same number of hours of prep and time that a case like this one will. We know that, even if Desiree wins, Terri doesn't have the money to pay $10,000,000. How can Desiree afford this? I'm glad she's doing it. I just always wonder about that in cases like this. Where does the money come from? How does the atty get paid? Kyron's disappearance has gotten huge media attention, so an attorney might do it at a discount sort of in exchange for promiting his services.

What would a lawsuit like this cost?

I know we've all wondered the same thing about Terri's atty.

Thanks!

ohhhhh, I hope we get to read thoes nasty emails that TH sent about Kyron and who she sent them too. Really TH, you hated a little kid? What is wrong with you????????????:banghead:

But they do have evidence. The problem is that it's all circumstancial. Since the level of proof is much lower in a civil case, they think they have a chance to prove Terri was involved. I say go for it.

For those wondering why she didn't sue the School...that's not what she was after. She isn't interested in the money. She wants Terri to finally have to deal with this. I think it's brilliant! I hope at the very least it makes her squirm. Even if she pleads the 5th, we may get to see whatever evidence they have. That is unless a judge throws it out! :(

It's never clear to me, in situations like this, how plaintiffs can afford the legal costs. I was falsely arrested, and had a tiny little misdemeanor charge, and it cost me $5000 to pay the defense atty. That was just for a plea deal. I really wanted to fight to prove my innocence, for my peace of mind, (the charges weren't serious enough to jeopardize job applications or criminal background checks etc. So, I wasn't concerned about it effecting my future) but I couldn't justify the additional cost so that I would feel vindicated. In the end, I took the deal to save money. The money isn't just mine, it's my husband's nd kids too.

Additionally, when my grandmother became mentally incapacitated, she got really angry with us in her confusion, and as a result of things she said, her neighbors rallied around her, helped her hire an attorney, and my mother had to fight in court for legal guardianship. My mother won it, but my grandmother spent $30,000 fighting it. (thanks to he helpful neighbors who ultimately accomplished nothing but draining y grandma's savings.)

My point is that these were small cases, that did not require the same number of hours of prep and time that a case like this one will. We know that, even if Desiree wins, Terri doesn't have the money to pay $10,000,000. How can Desiree afford this? I'm glad she's doing it. I just always wonder about that in cases like this. Where does the money come from? How does the atty get paid? Kyron's disappearance has gotten huge media attention, so an attorney might do it at a discount sort of in exchange for promiting his services.

What would a lawsuit like this cost?

I know we've all wondered the same thing about Terri's atty.

Thanks!

I wonder if he did it for the publicity also. Or did TH sell pictures and raise money that way, like Casey Anthony did? Her parents' home in Roseburg appears to be modest. :dunno:

I wonder if he did it for the publicity also. Or did TH sell pictures and raise money that way, like Casey Anthony did? Her parents' home in Roseburg appears to be modest. :dunno:

The retainer fee for her lawyers was 350k and I know that Casey made 250k, and I don't think Terri made more money than Casey. Also, Kaine and Desiree released 200 pictures of Kyron (for free) to the media. At first, I thought it was just to ensure that Kyron's case got lots of attention but now I am wondering if maybe it was so the media wouldn't have to run to Terri to get pictures. 200 pictures is more than enough to show of a victim, especially when the media tends to use the same select pictures over and over.

ETA: I am now reading old posts about the retainer, and people say that it's exaggerated...and that 350k is an outrageous amount for a retainer. Apparently, Terri sent that number to Cook in a text...but her lawyer says it's wrong.

In the context of what they were talking about that makes perfect sense to me. They were talking about using a civil suit to extract information in the absence of a criminal court proceeding. I'm pretty sure this isn't the first time Kaine has said he's willing to wait if that's what it takes not to jeopardize the future criminal case. And who would feel any differently in his position?...

Respectfully <snipped>. The point that I was trying to make with my post is that divorce court is not the appropriate venue to extract information in a criminal matter from one of the parties. So far, Kaine's efforts have been fruitless because TH's attorneys know better than to let her (possibly) incriminate herself should she say anthing. So, she has been mum and will likely continue to evoke her 5th Amendment Rights. DH and I discussed this last night, and we both feel that the judge would likely not be amused by Kaine's comment.

Likewise, I think the reaction to Desiree's lawsuit will be met with the same opposition and that little headway will be made into what happened to Kyron. TH's attorneys will not allow her to become the target of yet another fishing expedition. Most of the talking heads said as much when Desiree's lawsuit was discussed on several TV programs last night. :moo:

Do you have additional information on this "statute of limitations" and how it applies to "custodial interference"? Wouldn't the 7-year statute (or 5 years as it is in some states, i.e. Alabama where a judge declared Natalee Holloway dead after nearly 6 years) apply to someone who is missing and presumed dead? There is no proof to date that Kyron is deceased.

Perhaps when we see the wording of the lawsuit, this will become clearer, but for now, it's puzzling.

This is not a petition to declare Kyron dead; it's a civil lawsuit for taking him away from his parents, so the deadlines are completely different.

How do you know that LE will allow this evidence---which they have kept secret for two years---in court?

LE might successfully object to discovery requests directly seeking copies of their files, based on the files being part of an ongoing criminal investigation, but I very much doubt that a civil judge will allow LE to block discovery aimed at third parties to obtain that same information--particularly considering that this is clearly not a "hot" investigation in which a short delay could lead to an arrest and resolve the problem.

Sorry for the run-on sentence. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member