LA - ***ARREST*** Mickey Shunick, 21, Lafayette, 19 May 2012 #36

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
These cases can be terribly drawn out,... I know.
I'm sorry for whatever you/your family had to endure.
I that think many of us are here because we can relate, on some level, and often times that is because of our own life experiences. You're not alone.

I hope that Mickey is brought home, soon.

I do not doubt many people can relate. Just an FYI on how long it can take for those who are newer to the process.

In capital cases, the trial must be commenced within three years from the date of institution of prosecution.

Can you explain what the institution of prosecution is and is this a law specific to Louisiana? Thanks!

What do we know about the 3 bicycle shops in Lafayette? Charlie and Mickey purchased a new bicycle reflector it was purchased the day before Mickey went missing according to Tom Shunick.

That does not suprise me. My family members case took four years from the crime to the punishment phase of the trial

Goodness. That's a long span.

In this case I figure 2, possibly 3 years.
The defense will likely put it off as long as possible in order to have the 'facts' foggy in the minds of potential jury members.
The longer the better for the rights of the creep. :(

Yes. The white male with gold teeth, wearing a Saints jersey and black hat that assaulted him for no reason at the gas station located in the place he can't remember, was also armed with vines of poison ivy, which after stabbing BSL, he proceeded to rub all over him. Uh huh:). :pinocchio:
JMO
He went to the hospital in NOLA for injuries he said resulted from a mugging.

I do not doubt many people can relate. Just an FYI on how long it can take for those who are newer to the process.

Can you explain what the institution of prosecution is and is this a law specific to Louisiana? Thanks!

The law is specific to Louisiana. The institution of prosecution is the date the prosecutor files charges with the clerk of court.

I was going to eta, but I got sidetracked.

Yes. The white male with gold teeth, wearing a Saints jersey and black hat that assaulted him for no reason at the gas station located in the place he can't remember, was also armed with vines of poison ivy, which after stabbing BSL, he proceeded to rub all over him. Uh huh:). :pinocchio:

Oh, indeed.

Scott Peterson's trial started about 18 months after the murders, if I remember correctly, in CA and that was sure a big case with lots of complications, etc...hoping it is no longer in this case for Mickey, possibly sooner.

I'm not a lawyer, but I spend a lot of time around them. Every one of them told me that it's okay to answer very general questions, but if it appears that the police are honing in on you then to immediately stop the interview and request a lawyer. Even if you're innocent (one said especially if you're innocent). Suspicious bunch. ;-)

Re: BSL. Back in 1999 when he was questioned in the case in which he was ultimately convicted, he requested a lawyer immediately. The investigators were going to hold him until he could obtain an attorney. He wanted to know why he was being arrested w/o anyone hearing his side of the story. He was advised that they wanted to hear his story, but now could not since he requested a lawyer. BSL then stated he changed his mind and talked to investigators (info from 1999 police report narrative).

Without even considering his guilt or innocence in Mickey's case, he certainly learned a lesson from his prior experience. I'm not surprised that he would not talk with having a lawyer present.
Yes, but in this case, if the Death Penalty is on, don't you think there's a chance he'll sing?

A small update from Equusearch

Miller says the team is focusing on St. Landry, Lafayette, and Acadia parishes. He won't say why their focus is in these three parishes, but aren't ruling out other areas, like Whiskey Bay where the team searched thoroughly during its last visit.

"I'm not going to say we're done there but there are some priority areas first and we're going through the elimination process now," he added.

From : http://www.katc.com/news/equusearch-back-in-acadiana-searching-for-mickey-shunick/

I thought of BSL while watching a crime show on TV the other day. The perpetrator was being held for sex offence and murder, but the victim couldn't be found.

In exchange for the info releasing where the womans body was, he asked that no one in jail would ever know that he was a sex offender.
I thought, Wow....it really is Hell in jail for a sex offender eh?
Once someone is CONVICTED in a sexual offense and they're sentenced, are they still protected in jail or released into general population?

Maybe he stored the bike under his mobile home until he could figure out where to dispose of it.

Yes! And that would explain the skirting/no body under there. I bet there were bike tire tracks in the dirt under there if so!!!

BSLs home is actually much closer to the town on Lawtell, LA on a map up on HWY 90.

The runaway girl is listed as a missing child.

http://www.mostfreebies.com/AmberAlert/AmberAlertLouisiana.php

143 Elaine Lane, Church Point, La

http://www.zillow.com/homedetails/143-Elaine-Ln-Church-Point-LA-70525/2133139363_zpid/

The Daily Advertiser confirmed last week that Lavergne owns two properties on Constantine Road in Lafayette Parish in the Duson area.
http://www.theadvertiser.com/article/20120715/NEWS01/207150334/Troubles-follow-suspect

Link to map from Bertrand Drive, Lafayette to Constantine Road, Duson to Church Point to Whiskey Bay:

http://maps.google.com/maps?saddr=B...hjHESGLLDCGi6w&oq=Whiskey+Bay&mra=ls&t=h&z=11

No not the handlebars themselves - the handlebar grips were found floating seperately.

snipped and BBM:
When his daughter's black-and-gold bicycle was found in the muddy waters of Whiskey Bay, Tom Shunick could not shake one detail from his mind: the fact that the gold handlebar grips were found floating separately.

http://www.theadvertiser.com/articl...sey=tab|topnews|text|FRONTPAGE&nclick_check=1

FYI it's on page 5 of the article.

what do you guys think the point of this would be??!! especially after the father stated how difficult it was to take the grips off. if it was just for fingerprints he would just need to wipe them off, not remove the entire grips. and if he didn't want the bike identified then randomly through the grips out the window going down the highway or something in different locations you'd think???

Whether not bsl was under anastethic under the time is up to the anathesist. He may of had a sedative and had local anaesthic to the location of the finger. His weight would put him under at risk of being under anaesthic. I also think if his finger was almost cut off they would have had to do the surgery ASAP due to risk of exposure to the finger, and they would need to repair tendons/nerves etc before they died. I think the story of almost cut his finger off is exaggerated otherwise he would of had surgery ASAP at the first hospital.

It probably just needed to be stitched due to a deep cut.

what do you guys think the point of this would be??!! especially after the father stated how difficult it was to take the grips off. if it was just for fingerprints he would just need to wipe them off, not remove the entire grips

Would sitting in/around warm water & in extreme heat for a few days possibly cause the rubber grips to expand and slip off?

The only other damage to the bike — other than the rear tire being bent — that Tom Shunick noticed was a broken extra reflector that Charlie and Mickey Shunick had purchased the day before Mickey Shunick's disappearance.

http://www.shreveporttimes.com/artic...y-Shunick-case

Sounds like they showed it to him doesn't it?

I guess he could have "noticed" from being told.
He didn't say "saw" :dunno:
It was the family that identified the bike as Mickey's. I'm sure the grips weren't cut because Mr. Shunick marveled at the fact that they were off without being cut.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FastRayne