LA - ***ARREST*** Mickey Shunick, 21, Lafayette, 19 May 2012 #37

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Thought that just came to me while reading something somewhat related, on another forum:

Regarding LE's being able to place BSL at WB...perhaps his blood/DNA was found at the dump scene? Or even, perhaps, on the bike? IIRC, the bike was found almost directly beneath the bridge. This could have shielded any blood evidence from the elements (esp. rain), to a degree.
--------

Another forum? Some of us have already questioned this on this forum. And, I think that someone questioned this before me.

I wonder how exactly the media will be covering the GJ today...

According to this:
The public, the news media, and the person being investigated have no right to be present.
http://public.findlaw.com/abaflg/flg-15-2b-6.html

Will they just report after it's said and done whether GJ declared true bill/no true bill ? Or will there be some steady stream of info during?

The proceedings are strictly confidential, so there will nothing to substantiate
regular updates. It's also very possible that we will not hear today whether or not he was indicted - it depends how long it takes for the evidence to be presented and for the grand jury to come to their decision.

Rifles, shotguns, vacuum cleaner, mop, broom, bats, etc..

Since BSL was a convicted felon, it is illegal to own/possess a firearm but a combination archery bow would be legal.. Doesn't mean he was law abiding though.
Imo, it appears to be a vacuum cleaner due to the bottom of the sack being flat and the shape of the sack..

Rifles, shotguns, vacuum cleaner, mop, broom, bats, etc..

Since BSL was a convicted felon, it is illegal to own/possess a firearm but a combination archery bow would be legal.. Doesn't mean he was law abiding though.
Imo, it appears to be a vacuum cleaner due to the bottom of the sack being flat and the shape of the sack..
--------

Not illegal to have a knife or knives, chainsaw, etc. though, right?

I understand you are a reporter, and I don't want to hurt your feelings, but if there is any investigative reporting going on at the Advertiser, they do an excellent job of hiding it. If it wasn't for reprints of AP items, the whole paper could easily fit onto two pages.

Hubby and I do subscribe to the paper, but that is ONLY because I enjoy doing the little crossword every morning.

I believe the St. Landry LE did say the trailer was a major crime scene, but the guys who conducted the search (Laffy LE) were careful to say only that they were processing the search as though it were a major crime scene.

Guidry just misspoke, IMO.

And with all due respect, we do a lot more investigative journalism than some of our readers seem to give us credit for. I've spent weeks, even months, digging things up and making connections that other media outlets report on months later, proclaiming they broke the story. Granted, we are limited in the size of our staff and other resources. But I won't sit back and let anyone say we don't do investigative journalism. Will we report unsubstantiated rumors? No. Will we use unnamed/anonymous sources? No. That hinders us, but I believe it also makes us more credible sources. Anyone can post anything online these days. I believe what separates professional journalists from blogs and rumors is that we vet information and cite sources by name. (Stepping off my soap box now. Have a great day. I need to get to the courthouse to cover the grand jury. Wonder if the investigative journalists you're so impressed with will be there? Doubt it.)

Hey Jennifer & Welcome to WS!:welcome5:

My understanding is that since he asked for a lawyer, LE cannot interview him unless he asks to speak with them.

Someone please correct me if I have this wrong.

Correct. At least that's what Lafayette Police Chief Jim Craft told me last week.

Thought that just came to me while reading something somewhat related, on another forum:

Regarding LE's being able to place BSL at WB...perhaps his blood/DNA was found at the dump scene? Or even, perhaps, on the bike? IIRC, the bike was found almost directly beneath the bridge. This could have shielded any blood evidence from the elements (esp. rain), to a degree.

That's what I was thinking at first, but I'm pretty sure it said that they could place him there a particular time? Or am I mistaken?

And with all due respect, we do a lot more investigative journalism than some of our readers seem to give us credit for. I've spent weeks, even months, digging things up and making connections that other media outlets report on months later, proclaiming they broke the story. Granted, we are limited in the size of our staff and other resources. But I won't sit back and let anyone say we don't do investigative journalism. Will we report unsubstantiated rumors? No. Will we use unnamed/anonymous sources? No. That hinders us, but I believe it also makes us more credible sources. Anyone can post anything online these days. I believe what separates professional journalists from blogs and rumors is that we vet information and cite sources by name. (Stepping off my soap box now. Have a great day. I need to get to the courthouse to cover the grand jury. Wonder if the investigative journalists you're so impressed with will be there? Doubt it.)

I am thankful for this rare and valuable type of integrity! Thank you.

If he had gotten away with murder before? It could have definitely added to his arrogance, right?

Until he is tried and found guilty we cannot be sure he hasn't gotten away with murder.
Remember the Pinellas Pinheads?

--------

Not illegal to have a knife or knives, chainsaw, etc. though, right?

Nope, just firearms..

Game Wardens check hunters regularly. Even on private property or enroute. This is why I feel that BSL prolly hunted archery. He would have been very familiar with many primitive forest areas, imo...

You have to show your Drivers & hunting license. BSL's has the RSO status.
BSL, may have had them in his home & could have said that they were his dads or brothers.. wink, wink..

Originally Posted by chicken fried View Post
If he walks, he better run.

No matter innocent until proven guilty - this town will lynch him.

Given the level of public anger I've seen - and driving down Johnston St. - one of the main streets in town, and seeing the store marquee that spelled out in big black letters, "BRANDON SCOTT LAVERGNE BURN IN HELL," for all the town to see, my gut tells me there will be a change of venue, so as not to endanger the case.

If he walks, he will be in hiding like George Zimmerman and Casey Anthony.
--------------

My bold. I'm asking you what your position is on the bolded portion above.

I'm still not understanding what you're asking. What is my "position?" Can you please word your question differently? The word, "position" doesn't give me enough indication of your intent to answer your question. Please use a few more words so that I know what it is I'm requested to answer.

Thanks

-----------
My bold above. IMO: the problem isn't with the expertise and ability of the investigative journalists to gather the information, it's with being able to publish it.

The bike was submerged for a week, according to LE, and would have been under two to three feet of water when initially dumped, given my research into the water levels. Would blood have stayed on the bike? Beyond my area of expertise.

From sources within the family I've heard there is an eyewitness that saw him there dumping the bike early in the morning. He thought nothing of it at the time but when he heard about the bike on the news he came forward.

Obviously LE hasn't confirmed this, but I wanted to throw that out there.

Nope, just firearms..

Game Wardens check hunters regularly. Even on private property or enroute. This is why I feel that BSL prolly hunted archery. He would have been very familiar with many primitive forest areas, imo...

You have to show your Drivers & hunting license. BSL's has the RSO status.
BSL, may have had them in his home & could have said that they were his dads or brothers.. wink, wink..

Convicted felons may not have firearms in their possession.
Not even in their homes.

From sources within the family I've heard there is an eyewitness that saw him there dumping the bike early in the morning. He thought nothing of it at the time but when he heard about the bike on the news he came forward.

Thank-you, Someguy. Did this eyewitness recognize him at the time or after his picture was published?

Someguy,
Have you heard what time he was seen dumping the bike?

The bike was submerged for a week, according to LE, and would have been under two to three feet of water when initially dumped, given my research into the water levels. Would blood have stayed on the bike? Beyond my area of expertise.

Idk. You would think not? It took awhile for me to believe he didn't throw the bike/push the bike off the bridge. When the articles came out saying they have evidence at the dumpsite, I wondered if it iwas possible that he left blood evidence elsewhere. At some point, we have to agree there 'appears' to have been some kind of struggle he was involved in that injured him in the neck, hand and back. Since the belief is he left the bike there the night OF kidnapping MS, there probably is a chance he left some blood on a bush, drops on a stone somewhere etc. So, my thought is its not on the bike if its blood. Its in the area of the bike.

IMHO

Kelly

Idk. You would think not? It took awhile for me to believe he didn't throw the bike/push the bike off the bridge. When the articles came out saying they have evidence at the dumpsite, I wondered if it iwas possible that he left blood evidence elsewhere. At some point, we have to agree there 'appears' to have been some kind of struggle he was involved in that injured him in the neck, hand and back. Since the belief is he left the bike there the night OF kidnapping MS, there probably is a chance he left some blood on a bush, drops on a stone somewhere etc. So, my thought is its not on the bike if its blood. Its in the area of the bike.

IMHO

Kelly
----------------

Being a momof7, I imagine you have familiarity with knowing places blood droplets from injuries can potentially be deposited.

I trust your understanding.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members