LA - ***ARREST*** Mickey Shunick, 21, Lafayette, 19 May 2012 #37

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I would think if it were the dark morning hours, BSL wouldn't have been recognized, but rather the truck was seen.

If it was the dark morning hours. Then too if it was dark how would the person know what the bike looks like or even what was being thrown in, unless there are lights.

:D And yes, bloody noses cause drippage in some really odd places!!!

----------------

Being a momof7, I imagine you have familiarity with knowing places blood droplets from injuries can potentially be deposited.

I trust your understanding.

If it was the dark morning hours. Then too if it was dark how would the person know what the bike looks like or even what was being thrown in, unless there are lights.
---------

I've asked many times before here, maybe a homeless person was camping out there?

And with all due respect, we do a lot more investigative journalism than some of our readers seem to give us credit for. I've spent weeks, even months, digging things up and making connections that other media outlets report on months later, proclaiming they broke the story. Granted, we are limited in the size of our staff and other resources. But I won't sit back and let anyone say we don't do investigative journalism. Will we report unsubstantiated rumors? No. Will we use unnamed/anonymous sources? No. That hinders us, but I believe it also makes us more credible sources. Anyone can post anything online these days. I believe what separates professional journalists from blogs and rumors is that we vet information and cite sources by name. (Stepping off my soap box now. Have a great day. I need to get to the courthouse to cover the grand jury. Wonder if the investigative journalists you're so impressed with will be there? Doubt it.)

No offense to you, and with a lot of respect for your calling, I'm going off what's in the newpaper that reaches the public. I find that there is a very low percentage of the paper devoted to what I would call "investigative journalism." I am aware that y'all are limited by your "TOS," so to speak, but I see so many problems in Lafayette that could be addressed in the newspaper that are not, due to Gannett's corporate decision to run mostly AP content off the wire.

Where is the investigative story on the true nature of the dispute between Parish President Joey Durel and his threat to cut off firefighting services to the town of Broussard over "stolen" water?

Where is the investigative story on the criminal decision to open the new Ambassador-Caffery extension with no speed limit signs whatsoever, or even signs with the names of the intersections for the first month, so that local dragsters treated it as their personal strip at all hours of the night until a girl was killed?

Where is the investigative story on the decision to place no traffic control at Amb.-Caffery extension and Chemin Metairie, forcing residents and school buses to play an insane game of "Chemin-Metairie chicken," darting across multiple lanes of traffic near a blind curve, resulting in the tragic death of a young woman only a week after the road was opened, and then the Parish decision to jackhammer up fresh concrete to block off Chemin Metairie and put in dangerous U-turn lanes, instead of doing the sensible thing and putting up a stop light?

Where is the investigative story on the graffiti that has turned the area into a visual ghetto since around 2010, and the fact that a city councilman tried to do something about it last summer and got no support and it was swept under the rug?''

Where is the investigative story on the trash contracts, and the fact that each new year brings a huge increase in bills to residents, for 5 years running?

Where is the investigative report on the refusal, year after year, to place a traffic light at Verot School Rd. and Failla Rd., forcing the entire one-lane Verot traffic to come to a complete halt and creating gridlock every time someone wants to turn left on Failla - after the parish allowed a big subdivision down Failla that created more traffic?

Where is the investigative story on how allowing untrammeled growth on Ambassador Caffery without commensurate traffic-control measures, has turned that side of town into a parking-lot nightmare, completely unnavigable at many times of day, without any government plan to relieve the gridlock?

I can go on and on. There are so many problems here that make living here a pain in the butt, that do not see the light of day in the local paper.

I understand that your resources are limited. I stand by my belief that Lafayette is woefully underserved by The Advertiser, and that Gannett. Inc. is to blame - not the reporters. I hope you won't take this as a personal attack.

Not having an adequate newspaper means that the town doesn't have a mirror in which to check its own appearance, nor an adequate public feedback mechanism to help self-govern.

From sources within the family I've heard there is an eyewitness that saw him there dumping the bike early in the morning. He thought nothing of it at the time but when he heard about the bike on the news he came forward.

Obviously LE hasn't confirmed this, but I wanted to throw that out there.

:what: Wow! Wow! Wow! :what:

Gotta wonder who saw him there at that time of the morning, but I'm guessing it was a fisherman or a local on their way home, off that particular exit. Thank you Someguy for sharing that info with us. :gthanks:

Gotta wonder who saw him there at that time of the morning, but I'm guessing it was a fisherman or a local on their way home, off that particular exit. Thank you Someguy for sharing that info with us. :gthanks:

Oops! My bad! I guess they saw someone dumping a bike after all!
Makes me think there was some lighting!

------------

fisherman, local on their way home, homeless person camping out, someone on an early morning walk...grateful that someone saw it!

And with all due respect, we do a lot more investigative journalism than some of our readers seem to give us credit for. I've spent weeks, even months, digging things up and making connections that other media outlets report on months later, proclaiming they broke the story. Granted, we are limited in the size of our staff and other resources. But I won't sit back and let anyone say we don't do investigative journalism. Will we report unsubstantiated rumors? No. Will we use unnamed/anonymous sources? No. That hinders us, but I believe it also makes us more credible sources. Anyone can post anything online these days. I believe what separates professional journalists from blogs and rumors is that we vet information and cite sources by name. (Stepping off my soap box now. Have a great day. I need to get to the courthouse to cover the grand jury. Wonder if the investigative journalists you're so impressed with will be there? Doubt it.)

Claire T, I have been very impressed with all the local media's coverage of the Mickey Schunick abduction & investigation. I have followed many missing persons cases and the transparency by the local MS Media has been incredible, even when compared to FL; the sunshine law state...

The MSM is a very valuable resource in missing persons investigations and has played a very important part in this one..

RE: Wonder if the investigative journalists you're so impressed with will be there? Doubt it.

'If by chance the investigative journalist is there, I'd luv to be a fly on the wall, LOL'..

------------

fisherman, local on their way home, homeless person camping out, someone on an early morning walk...grateful that someone saw it!

I would think that this person will be testifying to day before the GJ.

Someguy - do you know if he lived alone in the trailer and if so, for how long?

Wow can we get back to Mickey and the case?

Sent from my SCH-I500 using Tapatalk 2

Oops! My bad! I guess they saw someone dumping a bike after all!
Makes me think there was some lighting!

There is no lighting whatsoever at the bike-dump spot. It's pitch-black. And the night Mickey went missing was one day off of a moonless night.

The only witness I can think of would have been someone hanging out and partying at the spot, or a homeless person sleeping there, or someone who saw his truck turn off of Hwy. 975 onto the gravel track leading toward the bridge pillar/Pilot Channel.

The area is very deserted at night and so if he was seen, he was extremely unlucky.

There is no lighting whatsoever at the bike-dump spot. It's pitch-black. And the night Mickey went missing was one day off of a moonless night.

The only witness I can think of would have been someone hanging out and partying at the spot, or a homeless person sleeping there, or someone who saw his truck turn off of Hwy. 975 onto the gravel track leading toward the bridge pillar/Pilot Channel.

The area is very deserted at night and so if he was seen, he was extremely unlucky.

Makes me wonder if the sun was coming up.

Wow can we get back to Mickey and the case?

Sent from my SCH-I500 using Tapatalk 2

The only reason the newspaper discussion came up was that people are trying to figure out if The Independent is a reliable source for things such as multiple womens' IDs being found at BSL's home.

So the newspaper discussion is connected, but I personally don't intend to keep flogging it.

From FMSN:

Hey guys! Spread the word that on TODAY around 10:00 pm we would like to have another mass moment of silence for Mickey. If everyone wants to turn on their porch lights, light candles... do anything you would like and feel comfortable doing in order to think of Mickey. Let's use today as a day of love and positive energy. Please send Mickey all your love and hope that we will bring her home soon! BMH!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sidsloth