LA - ***ARREST*** Mickey Shunick, 21, Lafayette, 19 May 2012 #37

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Lisa's remains were only bones when found, so not sure they could get his DNA from her.

Also, since he was in prison for a sex crime and is an RSO, I would think his DNA would be on file. But my feeling is that they found something of Lisa's in his home. JMO

If BL had property of Lisa's where did he hide it for the whole 10 years he was gone? I thought there was a fire at that property.

Okay, so we heard from someone that grew up with Brandon before on here that he was a person of interest in 2 Acadiana murders. Correct?

Okay, well we don't know everything to both of those cases. Only one was really spoken about. And it was said the case involved the finding of the remains of a young girl "buried at a camp".

Upon hearing BSL's indictment for another first degree murder charge, I thought Lisa Pate was the case we heard about here at Websleuths.

But if Lisa was found underneath boards and to my knowledge, not at a "camp" or "buried" , does that mean one of the cases he was a person of interest in is another young girl, completely different than the Lisa Pate incident?

yep i remember reading it was 2 female bodies. i just assumed they were found together but i guess they are 2 separate cases. how can he have been suspects in 2 murders so early on and get off and not be a suspect early in Mickey's case??? I want to know more about this 2nd pre-jail case!

Drop it, people! Let it go. Only one stands accused. We are not going to bring down everyone around him who are themselves victims in this tragedy. So knock it off!

If BL had property of Lisa's where did he hide it for the whole 10 years he was gone? I thought there was a fire at that property.

My guess was that if it was an ID card of some sort, as rumor has it, he may have had a safe deposit box. Who knows...

I've read that Lisa Pate's body was found behind a house on Brigman Hwy in CP. Did BSL have a house there?

I could be wrong but this is what I have heard for sometime. This is supposedly why he was the primary suspect but there was nothing else that tied her to him at the time. I have been researching and researching trying to find the link.

I guess I would consider it rumor until I find the link. I am searching hard! I believe this was an address where he lived with a family member.

Okay, so we heard from someone that grew up with Brandon before on here that he was a person of interest in 2 Acadiana murders. Correct?

Okay, well we don't know everything to both of those cases. Only one was really spoken about. And it was said the case involved the finding of the remains of a young girl "buried at a camp".

Upon hearing BSL's indictment for another first degree murder charge, I thought Lisa Pate was the case we heard about here at Websleuths.

But if Lisa was found underneath boards and to my knowledge, not at a "camp" or "buried" , does that mean one of the cases he was a person of interest in is another young girl, completely different than the Lisa Pate incident?

I don't remember hearing about two cases....just one...

"It needs to taught early on this type of behaviour is wrong, for if charged and found guilty the price you pay in the end is terrible."​

The price a sex offender pays pales in comparison to the price the victim, their family and friends pay. I think it is taught very early on about what is acceptable and not acceptable behavior (my kids were taught about good touch/bad touch, private areas, etc. in kindergarten - not to mention what we talked about at home!)

Alot of interesting articles on whether sex offenders can be rehabilitated...obviously I do not think many, if any, are able to be rehabilitated. Didn't this creep successfully pass his sex offender classes (not sure if that is the correct term?)

The following is snipped from http://www.vachss.com/av_dispatches/disp_9301_a.html :

Another factor that thwarts rehabilitation is the need for offenders to seek higher and higher levels of stimulation. There is no observable waning of their desires over time: sexual predators do not outgrow their behavior. Thus, while most sadistic sex offenders are not first arrested for homicide, they may well try to murder someone in the future.​

Sometime the only explanation is pure evil...

Laffy Taffy mentioned it was a case of a missing girl from his high school days. The girl was found near a camp. He was involved in an accident around the same area she was last seen. [ame="http://www.websleuths.com/forums/showthread.php?t=178123"]LA LA - ***ARREST*** Mickey Shunick, 21, Lafayette 19 May 2012 - #34 - Websleuths Crime Sleuthing Community[/ame]
it is post 84
Laffy Taffy said:
"Yes, prior to his prison term! While he was in high school... The girls remains we're located by a "camp" BSL was seen in the area the girl went missing as well as linked to a car accident the same night and same location.
His friend was in a wheel chair for many years after the accident. It was said his friend (female) knew something of that night and was threatened if she ever said anything he would burn her house down with her family in it."

yep i remember reading it was 2 female bodies. i just assumed they were found together but i guess they are 2 separate cases. how can he have been suspects in 2 murders so early on and get off and not be a suspect early in Mickey's case??? I want to know more about this 2nd pre-jail case!

I think it will come to the surface soon enough. I wonder if they found more information pertaining to those cases upon the recent search of his house.

Like other users said, I think they had their eyes on Brandon for a long time in this case. But I think they thought following him might lead them to her, and it hasn't, so they quickly moved in before he had a chance to possibly flee when he realized they might be onto him.

If I was the family I would want the death penalty off the table. I would want him in general pop. He doesn't need his own private cell. Too easy!!! Especially since he apparently doesn't really make friends well from the sounds of it

One problem with trying to learn too much from serial killers and other violent criminals is that they don't tell the truth. So often the data is faulty to begin with.

I don't remember hearing about two cases....just one...

I think he only really mentioned information about the remains at a camp. I don't recall him talking about the other case, but maybe it was Lisa Pate.

He apparently had a "wreck" the night the girl went missing. I wonder if he intentionally hit her like he did with Mickey.

if it was your innocent child affected by a sexual predator, would you still worry about what kind of quality of life they have after they get out of jail? i personally know of a pedophile walking the streets who will most likely offend again. the DA told us 4 years ago that they were going to prosecute and had a strong case against him, yet nothing has been done to this day. Sex offenders are very aware of what theyre doing, so why shouldnt they have to be ostracized? When you hurt someone else life in such a negative way that things will never be normal for them again, I think you lose all rights to have a normal life yourself.

Lisa's remains were only bones when found, so not sure they could get his DNA from her.

Also, since he was in prison for a sex crime and is an RSO, I would think his DNA would be on file. But my feeling is that they found something of Lisa's in his home. JMO

Her body might have been bones, but there may have been clothing, and since she was under boards, therefore the clothing was protected enough from the elements.

Four states require DNA samples from all convicted felons, violent or non-violent, which means, for example, that in New Mexico an individual convicted of felony speeding will have his or her DNA profile included in the state databank. Additionally, at least eight states require the collection of blood from certain classes of convicted misdemeanants, and until 1997 South Dakota's DNA databasing law allowed the collection of samples from persons merely arrested for a crime. Under a Louisiana law effective September 1, 1999, law enforcement officials will collect DNA samples from adults and juveniles arrested for sex offenses or certain violent felonies
http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/pages/frontline/shows/case/revolution/databases.html

So LA passed the law in Sept 99, now BSL was arrested in April 1999. Not sure he got his DNA or not. I believe it was only prisoners who came into the system after the law was passed that had their DNA taken. What I'm trying to say is I don't know if it was retroactive or not. I believe I heard once on TV that it wasn't retroactive that only prisoners coming into the system after the law was passed had to give up their DNA.

I will say though given he was a T3 sex offender they might have done that upon his release.

Even so, it could also be that since the initial investigation LP case sat in cold case, and probably had a few different investigator's peruse the case but not follow up on BSL.

All this is neither here or there for we will find out soon enough (hopefully) when this goes to trial.

I only mentioned it as I knew it wasn't law at the time, so my theory could be correct. Another angle so to speak to think about.

I ran across this by Human Rights Watch and thought I would share it, it may enlighten us all to see things from a different perspective. We have RSOs all around us if they serve prison time and are rehabilitated, life should go on for them, BL went directly to the 3rd tier. How do you ever start your life over, you spend 10 years sentence and all your neighbours are mailed out postcards about you, your drivers license is stamped SO and if a crime happens you're the first one they point a finger at. It needs to taught early on this type of behaviour is wrong, for if charged and found guilty the price you pay in the end is terrible.

US: Sex Offender Laws May Do More Harm Than Good

"The laws do not limit access to online registries: anyone with internet access can find out who is registered anywhere in the country. The consequences to registrants are devastating. Their privacy is shattered. Many cannot get or keep jobs or find affordable housing. Registrants’ children have been harassed at school; registrants’ spouses have also been forced to leave their jobs. Former offenders included on online registries have been hounded from their homes, had rocks thrown through windows, and feces left on their doorsteps. They have been beaten, burned, stabbed, and had their homes set on fire. At least four registrants have been targeted and killed by strangers who found their names and addresses through online registries. Other registrants have been driven to suicide."

http://www.hrw.org/news/2007/09/11/us-sex-offender-laws-may-do-more-harm-good

I think it is important to identify rapists and predators, specifically this that are at high risk to repeat again. They knew the risks of being caught when they committed the crime so in my opinion, they have made the choice to abide by those laws.

Now they are protected by the same laws we all are in that we have the right to a certain amount of privacy, to be able to live free of harassment and and to feel safe in their own home. It is unfortunate that often many police officer's can tend to look the other way when their rights are violated.

laffy taffy said:
"Yes, prior to his prison term! While he was in high school... The girls remains we're located by a "camp" BSL was seen in the area the girl went missing as well as linked to a car accident the same night and same location.
His friend was in a wheel chair for many years after the accident. It was said his friend (female) knew something of that night and was threatened if she ever said anything he would burn her house down with her family in it."

He sure has an itching for burning things, doesn't he?
The fact that burning even came up in that scenario would point to Brandon, since it seems he always has something dealing with burnt objects.

I wonder what the girls name was.
Any graduates of Church point high who graduated with Brandon, feel free to say if you remember anyone who was found deceased during that period.

Her body might have been bones, but there may have been clothing, and since she was under boards, therefore the clothing was protected enough from the elements.

http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/pages/frontline/shows/case/revolution/databases.html

So LA passed the law in Sept 99, now BSL was arrested in April 1999. Not sure he got his DNA or not. I believe it was only prisoners who came into the system after the law was passed that had their DNA taken. What I'm trying to say is I don't know if it was retroactive or not. I believe I heard once on TV that it wasn't retroactive that only prisoners coming into the system after the law was passed had to give up their DNA.

I will say though given he was a T3 sex offender they might have done that upon his release.

Even so, it could also be that since the initial investigation LP case sat in cold case, and probably had a few different investigator's peruse the case but not follow up on BSL.

All this is neither here or there for we will find out soon enough (hopefully) when this goes to trial.

I only mentioned it as I knew it wasn't law at the time, so my theory could be correct. Another angle so to speak to think about.

I just thought that they would take his DNA sometime before release and/or when officially named a sex offender. But as you say, wait and see, it is all we can do.

One problem with trying to learn too much from serial killers and other violent criminals is that they don't tell the truth. So often the data is faulty to begin with.

True. That's why it's important to interview other individuals (who, granted, may also lie), as well as look for documented bahavior patterns (animal abuse, fascination with fire -- just tossing out examples). Analysis must be much broader, rather than relying solely on interviews with the offender or the loved ones. And regarding the interviews, sometimes the nonverbal communication is more telling than what's being said verbally.:twocents:

As for what people around BSL knew or didn't know, keep in mind that often times hindsight is 20/20. It's easier to connect the dots once you know the ending of the story than it is to realize what's happening "in the moment."

My post July 8th....

Quote:
Originally Posted by ktgirl
I thought someone had posted on WS yesterday that he was suspected in a house fire in Branch where two women were found dead in the house & were thought to have been dead prior to the fire...

Is there another possible BSL victim whose bones were recovered somewhere?
Yes, prior to his prison term! While he was in high school... The girls remains we're located by a "camp" BSL was seen in the area the girl went missing as well as linked to a car accident the same night and same location.
His friend was in a wheel chair for many years after the accident. It was said his friend (female) knew something of that night and was threatened if she ever said anything he would burn her house down with her family in it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FastRayne