LA - ***ARREST*** Mickey Shunick, 21, Lafayette, 19 May 2012 #39

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
He would have been the most stupid criminal ever if he drove his truck to Texas to torch it, and didnt bother to remove the license plate first. JMO

I don't think it would matter. There are ID numbers all over that truck - engine block, etc. One wouldn't be able to hide the identity these days.

Back in the day, using my old Mustang for an example, I would pop the VIN plate off the door, grind out the VINs on the firewall, engine block and dashboard, and then have a vehicle that could only be traced to a range of manufacture dates, based upon the dates that certain components such as the rear axle were built.

Still, if I neglected, say the date-code tag on back of the power-steering pump, Ford would still be able to give a range of VINs that would match that date, and LE could cross-reference it with registrations and start winnowing them down.

Even 50 years ago, it wasn't that easy to hide a car's identity, and greater jurisdictional linkage blindness was a great help.

These days, once a car's registered in your name, it's traceable back to you from the time you buy it until it hits the crusher.

Okay, well, let me put it this way: While I was visiting a friend in x parish near Central Louisiana, I was watching "cops". About that time a figure appeared in the door way with a flashlight and I swear it looked like a real cop. I yelled for my friend "anita" and asked her if I was hallucinating or was there really a cop with a flashlight standing in the doorway of the bedroom where I was watching t.v. She walked in and said that they were looking for Boudreau who had been on a work crew that day but had not shown back up that night for evening roll call. Now Boudreau had an arrest record as long as my arm and was serving time with crimes against children, etc. in his background from previous arrests. However, because he was a diesel mechanic and worked on the sheriff's properties, etc. he had a lot more freedom than other prisoners. I have lived and live in a different state and I know that in my present state prisoners are not given as much freedom as they were in Louisiana.

Certainly there are many more criminals capable of committing crimes in Lousiana besides BSL. I am writing this because I know that some folks on here are from other countries and other states and would not even consider that somebody in prison could commit a crime -- but I am here to say and repeat as often as necessary -- I truly believe in Louisiana that exact thing could and does happen. It just depends on what kind of facility they are in and how much the warden or sheriff or whoever trusts that particular inmate. It sounds to me like BSL was trusted and that sets off red warning lights in my head. NOTHING surprises me. It ain't my first rodeo.

aviatrix, this is a little off topic, but i have been told that a flooring installation company, a family business from very small town, Louisiana, uses work release prisoners. This flooring business is working on a new house right next to mine and there have been a few shady looking characters that I've noticed - nothing terrible, but I was a little freaked out by one staring at me the other morning when i took out the trash. Please tell me that sex offenders are not working next door to me in our neighborhood filled with women and children!

It is not necessarily anyone related to the hospital. That would violate HIPAA regulations
Could be hotel workers, say front desk, maid ,landscaper, waitress or pool man. (for instance) FWIW.
moo

Or the car dealership that sold him his new truck?

Could he have had ez-pass (or whatever it's called in La), and if so, are there any tolls anywhere on the way to Whiskey Bay? EZ-Pass allows you to drive quickly through toll areas and in addition to automatically charging you the toll, records the time and date you passed.

Only if he went to Grande isle. It's the only toll road I know of in the state.

I don't think it would matter. There are ID numbers all over that truck - engine block, etc. One wouldn't be able to hide the identity these days.

Back in the day, using my old Mustang for an example, I would pop the VIN plate off the door, grind out the VINs on the firewall, engine block and dashboard, and then have a vehicle that could only be traced to a general manufacture date, based upon the dates that certain components such as the rear axle were built.

Still, if I neglected, say the date-code tag on back of the power-steering pump, Ford would still be able to give a set of VINs that would match that date, and LE could cross reference it with registrations and start winnowing them down.

Even 50 years ago, it wasn't that easy to hide a car's identity, and greater jurisdictional linkage blindness was a great help.

These days, once a car's registered in your name, it's traceable back to you from the time you buy it until it hits the crusher.

Oh I agree, a VIN number is in at least 8 locations on a vehicle nowadays, but still, if the license plate were left on and readable, it wouldnt require anything more than a cursory glance to ID it, but if it were substantially burned up, it would take a bit longer with accident or arson investigators, which theoretically would buy him a bit more time.

That story really bothers me. CH is being so vague... IMO she needed to name a couple instances of stalking. Just his moving across the street could have many explanations. KATC put a big "stalking" headline up, but the article doesn't go far enough to justify the headline, speaking as an ex-newspaper editor. Either the reporter did a lame job, or CH refused to give more detail.

Either way, I am taking CH with a big grain of salt. There's a history there that has not been adequately explained. CH is going to play a big role in the Lisa Pate case, I predict. What role, I don't know.... but all roads lead to her back yard.

Glad to see i'm not the only one bothered by that interview. I agree CH was extremely vague. Not to mention her comment at the end where she hopes he rots in hell. That's a very strong statement. If he was that evil she should have done something. JMO

I just re-read the q & a, and it couldn't be the plate from the burned truck anyway, because he says the plate is what led them to the burned truck and the report of it being stolen. Perhaps, then the plate number came from paperwork he may have filled out at the dealership via the tipster. Do we know if he filled out anything while there? We know he showed her his license...

BL may have, in his dreams, thought that a burned-out truck would not incite any curiosity to the extent that LE would bother to see who owned it, and eventually link it back to him in LA.

Just another example, in my opinion, of how smart he is not.

Not exactly on topic but certainly parallels what BSL tried to do...

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2012/07/2...nationally-manipulate-identities-study-finds/

In some states, including Louisiana, Nevada and Tennessee, the number of registered offenders using altered identities exceeds 25 percent. In Louisiana, the figure was 64.5 percent, according to the preliminary study, compared to the national low of 7.1 percent in Wisconsin.

Read more: http://www.foxnews.com/us/2012/07/2...ipulate-identities-study-finds/#ixzz21glIND8T

Fabulous, just fabulous!

Oh I agree, a VIN number is in at least 8 locations on a vehicle nowadays, but still, if the license plate were left on and readable, it wouldnt require anything more than a cursory glance to ID it, but if it were substantially burned up, it would take a bit longer with accident or arson investigators, which theoretically would buy him a bit more time.

You make a good point. Yes, it would buy him time!

My instinct would be that the plate melted. The gas tank - plus all the plastic on today's trucks.... = aluminum blobs.

I just re-read the q & a, and it couldn't be the plate from the burned truck anyway, because he says the plate is what led them to the burned truck and the report of it being stolen. Perhaps, then the plate number came from paperwork he may have filled out at the dealership via the tipster. Do we know if he filled out anything while there? We know he showed her his license...

Or the camera at The Advertiser??

In some states, including Louisiana, Nevada and Tennessee, the number of registered offenders using altered identities exceeds 25 percent. In Louisiana, the figure was 64.5 percent, according to the preliminary study, compared to the national low of 7.1 percent in Wisconsin.

Read more: http://www.foxnews.com/us/2012/07/2...ipulate-identities-study-finds/#ixzz21glIND8T

Fabulous, just fabulous!

WHAT?! 64.5% of sex offenders in this state use altered ID's? Is that right? WTFery?!

If he filed an insurance claim, guess it could have come from paperwork/database relating to that, also.

That story really bothers me. CH is being so vague... IMO she needed to name a couple instances of stalking. Just his moving across the street could have many explanations. KATC put a big "stalking" headline up, but the article doesn't go far enough to justify the headline, speaking as an ex-newspaper editor. Either the reporter did a lame job, or CH refused to give more detail.

Either way, I am taking CH with a big grain of salt. There's a history there that has not been adequately explained. CH is going to play a big role in the Lisa Pate case, I predict. What role, I don't know.... but all roads lead to her back yard.

Actually, the piece wasn't supposed to be so much about Brandon as it was to clear her name. Town officials gave up public records that painted a false picture of her, in her opinion...and having lived with years of whispers and innuendo, she wanted to give her side. The news channel stole pictures off of her FB and they are the ones who made the big thing about Miss Church Point. I'm not here to defend her because I wasn't there back in 1999, but I won't crucify her either. As far as I know right now she is working with the prosecution.

Actually, the piece wasn't supposed to be so much about Brandon as it was to clear her name. Town officials gave up public records that painted a false picture of her, in her opinion...and having lived with years of whispers and innuendo, she wanted to give her side. The news channel stole pictures off of her FB and they are the ones who made the big thing about Miss Church Point. I'm not here to defend her because I wasn't there back in 1999, but I won't crucify her either. As far as I know right now she is working with the prosecution.

I hope she worked with them in 2008 and at least tried to get him put away for good back then.

I'm just saying that the headline promised something that the story didn't deliver. Not trying to crucify her, either. I will say that I have read a lot of rumors attacking her, so she must be pretty controversial up in Church Point - fair or not.

It seems to me that with him being a RSO, LE already had his license number, VIN number and everything. Since they were watching him already, when word of a burned white Chevrolet came out of Texas perhaps it was an easy enough match. I, for one would be hard pressed to come up with my license plate number if I had to fill out papers that required it. I just know mine right now because it's personalized. Am I the only one who wouldn't know my plate number by heart?

BL may have, in his dreams, thought that a burned-out truck would not incite any curiosity to the extent that LE would bother to see who owned it, and eventually link it back to him in LA.

Just another example, in my opinion, of how smart he is not.

I'm not sure he thought they wouldn't trace it to him; he reported it as stolen. His goal was to destroy DNA, IMO, a more immediate goal which trumped having the truck checked out and linked to him.

I'm sure it crossed his mind to put a cinder block on the pedal and run it into a body of water. But in that case, it would likely eventually be found, and then it would be damning. So having it burned by a thief was the next best option.

ETA; The safest option may have been just to keep driving it..... except for his wounds that were noticed by others. I bet he didn't plan on that spotlight. The wounds ruined his chances of getting away with it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kat kruck