LA - Baton Rouge. 3 officers killed/3 wounded, 17 July 2016

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
It's not making sense to me that he would be part of the sovereign citizens movement - some of the groups associated with the movement are notoriously racist.

However, MSNBC's Pete Williams reported one person of interest in the current investigation may be a member of the sovereign citizen movement, a far-right movement alleging they are exempt from most U.S. laws. The Wall Street Journal, citing an anonymous source, reported Long may have been affiliated with an organization called the New Freedom Group.
https://mic.com/articles/148961/gav...ing-of-three-police-in-baton-rouge#.4w4qHwX1P

Link is news.mic because the WSJ story is behind a paywall.

WAFB ‏@WAFB https://twitter.com/WAFB/status/754789442892824576[/video]
MORE: Gerald graduated from BRPD Academy in March. He was a former Marine and former Black Hawk crew chief in the US Army.

WAFB ‏@WAFB [video=twitter;754790462880358400]https://twitter.com/WAFB/status/754790462880358400[/video]
CONT: Gerald was married with two children. His wife says he had just been released to work on his own on July 5.

Such a tragic loss of life. RIP Officer Gerald :rose:

New Freedom Group in Provo, Utah. Has a group in Kansas City.

http://www.profiwiki.com/m/info/eWRXV2RUS3lk/Provo%2C+Utah/Manager/Gene-Parrish

If that is the New Freedom Group linked to Long, then he will link to this guy, a notoriously unsuccessful paper scammer:

http://m.deseretnews.com/article/576717/Investment-schemer-gets-10-years.html?pg=all

Can't say for sure if that is the "maybe" sovereign citizen connection, but a possibility.

I doubt there's any connection to this guy. The article is from 1997.

Even in open carry states, it's rare to see someone carrying.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk
That's something none of us in other states would have knowledge of. Thanks for sharing. I don't see anyone debating open carry laws. Someone was trying to explain it to others. Nothing wrong with that. Hopefully, it ends there.

I'm edgy as ****

This is not a nice time to be newly widowed. I can't imagine what it must be like for all those who lost loved ones to terrors attacks and violence. I can't imagine what it must be like to be a spouse of a police officer in the US.

Sorry for the slight O/T but I realised I hadn't eaten because I had been following here all day. And went for a walk to get food. I was constantly looking over my shoulder and at faces of people I walked past. Even in my relatively quiet little hamlet I'm spooked and jumpy.

I'm a 'recovering' (work in progress) agoraphobic. Never has shutting myself away again felt more and more appealing, but I promised myself, and for my late DH I would not. Ugh

:grouphug:

It's not making sense to me that he would be part of the sovereign citizens movement - some of the groups associated with the movement are notoriously racist.

https://mic.com/articles/148961/gav...ing-of-three-police-in-baton-rouge#.4w4qHwX1P

Link is news.mic because the WSJ story is behind a paywall.

Traditionally, yes. Sovereign citizens have their roots in the Posse Comitatus movement -- notoriously anti-government, anti-Semitic, white supremacist, and known to target law enforcement.

According to the ADL, the fastest growth in adapted sovereign citizen ideology is among African Americans.

One example from the ADL:

http://blog.adl.org/extremism/arrested-black-panther-also-involved-in-sovereign-citizen-movement

I think a very good indicator in this case as to whether they were suspicious or not was to see someone dressed in all black or maybe also in a mask in the summertime in BRL where the high heat and humidity is insufferable.

I have grown up around guns all of my life but I have never seen anyone toting rifles up and down the street unless they are inside of their trucks on a rack during hunting season or they just bought one at a hunting store and are bringing it out of a store. I do see quite a few citizens who have handguns in a holster on a pistol belt. They are easy to see. In fact if I go into a restaurant and there isn't any police officers there at the time if some gentlemen or ladies has theirs on, I feel much much safer. That is why I don't go to stores that restrict legal firearms altogether or puts a sign on the window they are gun free zones. Some stores are so strict about it they wont even let police officers who are on duty come in with their legal service weapons. Of course at times these stores get held up too and then they want the officers to come.

Weren't there also some openly carrying weapons during the Dallas BLM protest?

Several have said they are going to show up with their weapons at the RNC starting tomorrow. Kasich said there isn't anything he can do about it so lets hope those with firearms will be like those in Dallas and don't plan on shooting anyone.
O/T - According to reports on CNN (I know) the Black Panthers and BLM leaders have said they will ask members to not bring weapons to the protests in Ohio.

O/T - According to reports on CNN (I know) the Black Panthers and BLM leaders have said they will ask members to not bring weapons to the protests in Ohio.

They "will ask"? They better hurry up and do it, the convention starts tomorrow.

I'm edgy as ****

This is not a nice time to be newly widowed. I can't imagine what it must be like for all those who lost loved ones to terrors attacks and violence. I can't imagine what it must be like to be a spouse of a police officer in the US.

Sorry for the slight O/T but I realised I hadn't eaten because I had been following here all day. And went for a walk to get food. I was constantly looking over my shoulder and at faces of people I walked past. Even in my relatively quiet little hamlet I'm spooked and jumpy.

I'm a 'recovering' (work in progress) agoraphobic. Never has shutting myself away again felt more and more appealing, but I promised myself, and for my late DH I would not. Ugh

(((((Skibaboo)))))).

Oh geez. CNN is reporting the fake FB page as potentially real.. :facepalm:

I'm edgy as ****

I understand the feeling of wanting to hide in your comfort zone because everything seems so scary in public. I'm from Dallas, less than 15 minutes from downtown Dallas. Last week every place I went while going about my daily life I saw blue ribbons flying, signs of support for DPD, fund raisers for officers in shopping parking lots, the news is wall to wall funerals and memorials. Everyone I've spoken to knows the child of, the mother of one, a good friend of one of the killed officers. The last officer killed to be buried in the DFW area was just laid to rest yesterday. Today's killing of BRPD is sickening, feels like a never ending nightmare. So sad the world we're living in. We need good in the worst way right now.

O/T I'm awfully sorry for your recent loss. Hugs.

The more I try to get caught up on Baton Rouge, the more there is, I am losing my marbles here..

masks, rape, 7 year old hostages, Burger Kings, gas stations, captured, resolved, loose, dead, what the heck is going on??

The more I try to get caught up on Baton Rouge, the more there is, I am losing my marbles here..

masks, rape, 7 year old hostages, Burger Kings, gas stations, captured, resolved, loose, dead, what the heck is going on??

What?!

I think you're confusing Baltimore with Baton Rouge but I understand. The world is completely mad at the moment. It's overwhelming.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beruptus
Back